Ever deal with rich people? My BMW theory.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ever deal with rich people? My BMW theory.....

Ok, first off,

I am a network engineer, work mostly on Microsoft and Novell Servers, Document management databases and Remote solutions for LAW FIRMS. I repeat LAW FIRMS.

Basically, I work for rich lawyers who spend money like the world is ending. My company is in the top ten law firms of New Jersey and New York, the other day I set up a portfolio manager for a partner who had approx 14million in options and stock. Why am I stating this? Well, from my personal observations one thing most (generalization)
is that rich professionals have a habit of being impatient and downright baby-ish to the 'help'.

As a professional hard working citizen many times I had to bite my tounge over flippant condescending remarks sent my way by these clients. I am partially paid to put up with their shit, although every once and a while I bite back. I notice after a while I get worn down with the babies and unrealistic senseless whining I recieve and I get a little punchy with the clients.

NOW, ever sit in a service department, specifically like I did the other day and see how upper class and well off people treat BMW and Mercedes staff? Like absolute babies. I am beginning to think that BMW employees are just shit on all day long or mostly all day long, and when a NORMAL, nice person comes in they are burnt. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am making assumptions, my friend's 328 needed service, we took it in, they were dicks to us, and we watched people call them and be dicks to them, no wonder they were soo cranky. I notice that cheaper cars and their service centers seem to be better experiences because I think more 'REAL' people, who are just nicer by nature and not on a pedestals are there, any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2001, 02:42 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hear ya. but its not all true, when we take my dads car into the Porsche dealer, they are pretty nice ppl. always friendly and never snappy. we've owned 1 benz, but that was too long ago for me to make judgements. but i think what your saying has some truth. i get attitude all the time when i drop my car off. b/c they deal with a lot of non-speaking english ppl all day, so they take it out on me.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:46 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Bah, it's the "nouveau rich" that cause the problem.

Options whores and internet millionaires with no class. Give a piece of Trailer Park Trash $10 million and he's a rich piece of TPT.

=)
Old 07-31-2001, 02:47 PM
Firestarter

100% correct sir.
hate to generalize, but majority of the affluent tend to be that way. I've met exceptions, but statistically your statements hold true.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The problem is not just rich people, its just people in general.....many are nasty, impatient SOB's.

People are jerks everywhere, at the BMW service department and the Chevy service department.

At Saks Fifth Ave....and Stern's.

You are a Network Engineer.....some of my friends are too, and take shit from everyone- whether they make $50k a year or $200k, they are providing a service- and just take it as it comes (while none of it has been down right degrading, its a bit annoying).

But don't think its just well off individuals who are pains in the ass (while many are)....its just not the case.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Beltfed ]
Old 07-31-2001, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

go to a saturn dealer. there really down to earth and seem like nice folks. but i'd never get a saturn.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:02 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by eclipse23:
<STRONG>

NOW, ever sit in a service department, specifically like I did the other day and see how upper class and well off people treat BMW and Mercedes staff? Like absolute babies. I am beginning to think that BMW employees are just shit on all day long or mostly all day long, and when a NORMAL, nice person comes in they are burnt. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am making assumptions, my friend's 328 needed service, we took it in, they were dicks to us, and we watched people call them and be dicks to them, no wonder they were soo cranky. I notice that cheaper cars and their service centers seem to be better experiences because I think more 'REAL' people, who are just nicer by nature and not on a pedestals are there, any thoughts?</STRONG>
Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe some of these "Service" people are pissed at the world because THEY can't afford to drive the very same type of car for which they're providing service?

Don't believe it's true? Next time you're at a BMW dealer, check out the cars that the techs and advisors are driving. If you think they'll have late models Bimmers, you'd be wrong. The majority of them will have older BMW's or just plain-jane every day passenger cars.

In my opinion, a lot of these people are just angry that they have to deal with clientele that are more affluent and can easily afford more expensive vehicles.

Hmmmm.... maybe the reason that the BMW owners treat the "service" people is not as undeserved as you suggest. People are basically good/corteous/fair, whether rich or poor or middle of the road.

Treat one with respect, and expect the same in return.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Tom2:
<STRONG>

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe some of these "Service" people are pissed at the world because THEY can't afford to drive the very same type of car for which they're providing service?

Don't believe it's true? Next time you're at a BMW dealer, check out the cars that the techs and advisors are driving. If you think they'll have late models Bimmers, you'd be wrong. The majority of them will have older BMW's or just plain-jane every day passenger cars.

In my opinion, a lot of these people are just angry that they have to deal with clientele that are more affluent and can easily afford more expensive vehicles.

Hmmmm.... maybe the reason that the BMW owners treat the "service" people is not as undeserved as you suggest. People are basically good/corteous/fair, whether rich or poor or middle of the road.

Treat one with respect, and expect the same in return.</STRONG>
Sorry Tom, this argument just does not hold weight because its not like these people made these cars, its not like they are personally attached to them. Its just a car in the end, and the service just service it, no biggie.

I guess I somewhat agree with eclipse that rich people just except the best and bitch and moan if they feel like they did not get it. However, the people in your office represent a very small % of people overall, so they are an exception. I abide by the rule that if you nice to them, they'll be nice to you. Service people might be pisted off one day cause someone pisted them off, but not everyday.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BigPimp'sTypeS:
<STRONG>

Sorry Tom, this argument just does not hold weight because its not like these people made these cars, its not like they are personally attached to them. Its just a car in the end, and the service just service it, no biggie.

I guess I somewhat agree with eclipse that rich people just except the best and bitch and moan if they feel like they did not get it. However, the people in your office represent a very small % of people overall, so they are an exception. I abide by the rule that if you nice to them, they'll be nice to you. Service people might be pisted off one day cause someone pisted them off, but not everyday.</STRONG>
I don't bitch and moan about my car and the service. I get great BMW service and if I don't, I just call up BMW N/A or wait for them to call me (as they always do after every service to ask about my experience). Simple as that. If you pay $50k+ for a car and get crappy service, I think you'd be pissed too!
Old 07-31-2001, 04:29 PM
Safety Car

Well, what price is sufficient enough to pay for a car to get good service?

Acura service has not been the best because they failed to fix things the first time, which is very irritating. I think I have been treated fairly nice though, its just that I have been there way too many times, 11 unscheduled visits in the past year.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Tom2:
<STRONG>

In my opinion, a lot of these people are just angry that they have to deal with clientele that are more affluent and can easily afford more expensive vehicles.</STRONG>
Sorry Tom, but that's not a good excuse. Not everyone in the world is going to be able to afford a BMW or Mercedes. But working at a dealership isn't like the Army...you CAN quit and work at another dealership. Simply because you can't afford what someone else can isn't in and of itself an acceptable excuse to be resentful or rude towards that person. Now, having said that, I will also say that simply because you make X-millions of dollars (or whatever), that's no reason to shit on someone either. If you're smart enough or lucky enough to be making that kind of money, you should have a little class and humility as well.

One more thing. People who make a lot of money tend to be in very high profile positions and have decisions to make that most of us will never have to contend with. Still, no excuse for rudeness or spoiled behavior. Just making the observation that it is a different world with many different rules, and it can tweak one's mind somewhat.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:12 PM
Banned

Most rich people are not assholes... You dela with lawyers. Lawyers are simple assholes. They always will be. A retarded monkey can get a law degree.
My father is upper class and trust me, he is not a jerk to people. Of course he's a self made man, he didn't inherit it. I hing around other upper class people my whole life. One who owns a food company like Stauffers but not that... This guy will walk accross a room to talk to you... You wouldn't know this guy was a millionare. He drives a 1992 Crown Vic. This guy can afford an S500, but he chooses not to get one.
Then I get to college and see their kids and they are the biggest knuckleheads I have ever dealt with. So I think the difference is self made men are easier to get along with than inherited wealth.
Don't hold beaing wealthy against anyone. Heck the CEO's daughter works here and nobody likes her. I haven't had a problem. She's nice to me.
I'm a network engineer as well.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Scorpius:
<STRONG>Most rich people are not assholes... You dela with lawyers. Lawyers are simple assholes. They always will be. A retarded monkey can get a law degree.
My father is upper class and trust me, he is not a jerk to people. Of course he's a self made man, he didn't inherit it. I hing around other upper class people my whole life. One who owns a food company like Stauffers but not that... This guy will walk accross a room to talk to you... You wouldn't know this guy was a millionare. He drives a 1992 Crown Vic. This guy can afford an S500, but he chooses not to get one.
Then I get to college and see their kids and they are the biggest knuckleheads I have ever dealt with. So I think the difference is self made men are easier to get along with than inherited wealth.
Don't hold beaing wealthy against anyone. Heck the CEO's daughter works here and nobody likes her. I haven't had a problem. She's nice to me.
I'm a network engineer as well. </STRONG>
A retarded monkey can get a law degree?....sure, after 4 years of undergraduate work, then another 3 years or so of law school, and numerous additional tests.

You don't have to be a brain surgeon (to be a lawyer or Network engineer).....but its not a walk in the park either.

I'm not a lawyer, have friends that are.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Beltfed ]
Old 07-31-2001, 06:07 PM
Race Director

thats mostly true, but props to lexus, for having the best service ever.

sorry to say this, but thats how you get things done, you whine like a bitch, and complain...not just with acuras, in business as well...usually DICKS get what they want most the time, while the nice guy will only get what he wants, sometimes...

sux, but thats how i believe it works.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Beltfed:
<STRONG>

A retarded monkey can get a law degree?....sure, after 4 years of undergraduate work, then another 3 years or so of law school, and numerous additional tests.

You don't have to be a brain surgeon (to be a lawyer or Network engineer).....but its not a walk in the park either.

I'm not a lawyer, have friends that are.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Beltfed ]</STRONG>

Pay no attention to Scorpenis cause he likes talking out of his ass. Retarded monkey???

Riiiiiight.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:39 PM
Banned

Being a lawyer is not difficult... why do you think there are so many of them?
Old 07-31-2001, 06:54 PM
Banned

All right, this is for some of you weenies. Here it is, direct from JD Power Associates, their assessment of best car service by manufacturer.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Damaged ]
Old 07-31-2001, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<STRONG>Being a lawyer is not difficult... why do you think there are so many of them?</STRONG>
Just when I thought you had some sense to you. How could you say such an idiotic thing?
Old 07-31-2001, 07:17 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets face it- any time you have to deal with the public it can be difficult.Working in the service department of a dealership is an extrememly stressful job. It takes a certain type to be able to put up with the day to day activity. Just look at how many of you talk about treating your dealer- swearing, threats, force him, ect... I train my employees to not take the customers attacks as personal. If there is a problem, usually its the problem you are angry at, but most often phrase it as a personal attack on the person who you really need to help you. We treat each customers concerns as real, and try to get past the anger and anxiety that accompanies vehicle problems. Maybe thats why your experience here is different. I have been a Service Director/Manager for Lexus, Caddy, Toyota and most other GM products. Do wealthy people act different? Yes- often they are more focused on problem solving than pointing blame. They are used to being listened to and demand instant results. They sometimes frame those demands in less than polite ways- but usually the only thing they want is the problem to go away with the least delay. Not unlike the rest of us. If everybody just took a moment to realize that the person you are talking to is just that, a person- not a problem, number, case, or issuse to be solved, but a live human being with feelings, wants, needs, and maybe a family too, things might just be a little more civil---- end rant!
Old 07-31-2001, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by wayneg:
<STRONG>Lets face it- any time you have to deal with the public it can be difficult.Working in the service department of a dealership is an extrememly stressful job. It takes a certain type to be able to put up with the day to day activity. Just look at how many of you talk about treating your dealer- swearing, threats, force him, ect... I train my employees to not take the customers attacks as personal. If there is a problem, usually its the problem you are angry at, but most often phrase it as a personal attack on the person who you really need to help you. We treat each customers concerns as real, and try to get past the anger and anxiety that accompanies vehicle problems. Maybe thats why your experience here is different. I have been a Service Director/Manager for Lexus, Caddy, Toyota and most other GM products. Do wealthy people act different? Yes- often they are more focused on problem solving than pointing blame. They are used to being listened to and demand instant results. They sometimes frame those demands in less than polite ways- but usually the only thing they want is the problem to go away with the least delay. Not unlike the rest of us. If everybody just took a moment to realize that the person you are talking to is just that, a person- not a problem, number, case, or issuse to be solved, but a live human being with feelings, wants, needs, and maybe a family too, things might just be a little more civil---- end rant!</STRONG>

Excellent comment!
Old 07-31-2001, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

<STRONG>Most rich people are not assholes... You dela with lawyers. Lawyers are simple assholes. They always will be. A retarded monkey can get a law degree.
I'm a network engineer as well. </STRONG>
yea, that reminds me of something one of my teachers told me last year. he was talking about the difference between "petite" and "haute" bourgeoisie... anyways, he had a friend working at this art gallery and once in a while, one of the stereotypical rich guys would come up, smoking a cigar, wearing armani, driving a benz, and he might buy one painting.

then this guy came in once, with no car (he went on the bus), non namebrand old clothes, looking dirty. he bought a whole WALL of art. he was obviously very rich, so much so that he didn't care about showing off his wealth to anyone.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:10 PM
Pro

Almost all weathy people I have met have been very nice to me. As for dealer service, it varies from dealer to dealer, mostly dependent on the owner/manager of the dealer and the company. Lexus holds dealers to very high standars. I have met some pretty well off people. One of my dad's good friends is president of one of the largest real estate developers in the country, he is one of the friendliest, most non-arrogent person I have ever met. I played golf this weekend with a nice guy, who happened to be CEO of one of the top 3 (I don't know its rank) computer makers in the world, he was never snobby or rude. The people that are jerks are people that are upper-middle class people that live in faux-wealthy suburbs.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: someguy ]
Old 07-31-2001, 08:35 PM
www.drippinwet.com

<STRONG> the other day I set up a portfolio manager for a partner who had approx 14million in options and stock. Why am I stating this? Well, from my personal observations one thing most (generalization)
is that rich professionals have a habit of being impatient and downright baby-ish to the 'help'.

</STRONG>
i have a customer who lost 4 times that in the stock market and treats me ok, most of the mercedes customers i deal with only stop in at the dealership in an emergency, most of ours are pickup and delivery's or the hired help brings in the cars
Old 07-31-2001, 08:42 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Old money: CLASS !

New money: Plastic/White trash......
Old 07-31-2001, 08:42 PM
www.drippinwet.com

we generally sell more of the high end mb's than c's and ml's - my dealing with these people in a day in and day out basis is when they come to me they need help with a car, or service, and since they are usually well respected in there own field, they respect mine when it comes to mercedes service and trust my judgement, also most of these people have other high end sports cars, one of the nicest people dropped by today for a lamp defective light on, (treated me like gold) in thier family they have: (2) 2001 mb cl600's, (1) 2001 s600 (1) 2001 e55 (1) 2001 s500 and a 2001 designo e430

i suppose you run into all kinds though, but i would not label any "rich" person a snob
alot of the people still earned thier money, one that comes to mind has his worth as a "b"
which is much more impressive than a "m"
and is a great guy to deal with
Old 07-31-2001, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<STRONG>Ok, first off,

I am a network engineer, work mostly on Microsoft and Novell Servers, Document management databases and Remote solutions for LAW FIRMS. I repeat LAW FIRMS.

Basically, I work for rich lawyers who spend money like the world is ending. My company is in the top ten law firms of New Jersey and New York, the other day I set up a portfolio manager for a partner who had approx 14million in options and stock. Why am I stating this? Well, from my personal observations one thing most (generalization)

As a professional hard working citizen many times I had to bite my tounge over flippant condescending remarks sent my way by these clients. I am partially paid to put up with their shit, although every once and a while I bite back. I notice after a while I get worn down with the babies and unrealistic senseless whining I recieve and I get a little punchy with the clients.

NOW, ever sit in a service department, specifically like I did the other day and see how upper class and well off people treat BMW and Mercedes staff? Like absolute babies. I am beginning to think that BMW employees are just shit on all day long or mostly all day long, and when a NORMAL, nice person comes in they are burnt. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am making assumptions, my friend's 328 needed service, we took it in, they were dicks to us, and we watched people call them and be dicks to them, no wonder they were soo cranky. I notice that cheaper cars and their service centers seem to be better experiences because I think more 'REAL' people, who are just nicer by nature and not on a pedestals are there, any thoughts?</STRONG>

You comments and observations are interesting, however, let me expand on what you have "observed".

There are a LOT of wealthy people that never had a hard day in their life and don't have a clue what it is like to have to take orders from some true asshole. So, there are some people who suffer from the silver spoon syndrome and treat just about everyone below their perceived station in life like shit.

There are also people with incredible wealth (I know some of them) who drive common looking cars and had some very rough times. I believe that hard times and "living in another persons shoes" can have a great effect on people’s demeanor. The point is this -- if people start out at the bottom and get a few good smacks in the face -- along the way -- they tend to be a bit more respectful of other human beings. (I will note that some people, upon "making it" loose all of this previous compassion and must think that the universe has given them a ticket to be rude and inconsiderate of other people...)

Finally, you did mention lawyers -- something that I should know something about (and I'm not going to go into it). However, in general, they are some of the biggest babies that ever lived on the planet. Example, at a lot of law firms, the partners will go around treating "staff" like they belonged to the "outcaste" or "untouchable" caste and their behavior can be so annoying that one can understand someone throwing them out a glass window. As will all cliques, if the clique supports and embraces this behavior, it will only reinforce and propagate this infantile attitude to the rest of the "service" class.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:58 PM
Banned

Just remember one thing...

Don't throw me away!
Old 07-31-2001, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

<STRONG>Just remember one thing...

Don't throw me away!</STRONG>
Now you have the distinct honor of posting that picture (or link) on just about every thread that comes along. I hope you don't have a day job
Old 08-01-2001, 12:26 AM
Intermediate

THAT IS SO WRONG!!!!! so why am I laughing?
Old 08-01-2001, 01:23 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by doc majic:
<STRONG>THAT IS SO WRONG!!!!! so why am I laughing?</STRONG>
Because it's very funny.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:30 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Two points I feel I must disagree with. The comment about lawyers falls into the same category as all cops are assholes. Some of the are some are not. Like any profession there are all types.
Now for the customer service aspect. As a retail manager in a clothing chain I have had to deal with many types of customers. All economic classes of people have their assholes. I wouldn't say that I have more problems with the rich or poor. The biggest key for me is for them to treat me with respect. If they don't the chances of them getting the problem resolved to their satisfaction decreases. It so nice when you get a customer who is nice, and polite. I'll go out of my way to help them, even if I've had a bad day. I just wish more people who understand this.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:48 AM
Race Director

I think it has a lot to do with the dealership too. My dad has owned Jaguars his whole life. I remember his partner got the 500Sl when they first came out in the early 90s so my dad went to look at one. He usually wears ripped jeans and t-shirts on the weekends. When he went into the mercedes dealership they salesmen actaully suggested to him that he look elsewere as he might get "sticker shock." We'll my dad showed him the Jaguar he was currently driving and then went back a week later with the 850csi? (I think that was the model.) He has just bought from the BMW dealership next door, dressed the same way. As for looking at cars, I have always found that mercedes and BMW judge the most. Everyone has been nice to me at Jaguar cause they know my dad, but at Acura and Audi which are still expensive cars they are extremely nice to everyone and I like that. As for the stereotype that everyone who drives a bimmer has a lot of money. We'll I don't agree with that too much, where they might have a lot there are plenty of people I know who don't make to much but allow enough money to squeeze out for their car, to mainly impress.
Old 08-01-2001, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kuwolde:
<STRONG>Two points I feel I must disagree with. The comment about lawyers falls into the same category as all cops are assholes. Some of the are some are not. Like any profession there are all types.
Now for the customer service aspect. As a retail manager in a clothing chain I have had to deal with many types of customers. All economic classes of people have their assholes. I wouldn't say that I have more problems with the rich or poor. The biggest key for me is for them to treat me with respect. If they don't the chances of them getting the problem resolved to their satisfaction decreases. It so nice when you get a customer who is nice, and polite. I'll go out of my way to help them, even if I've had a bad day. I just wish more people who understand this.</STRONG>
Actually, I forgot to leave the caveat about some lawyers being good guys. I actualy have one in the family. The problem has more to do with "cliques" -- and these very cliques enforcing a code of "disrespect" to those outside their "group"/"clique"!

For example, you mentioned and used the analogy about police officers -- I've met nice ones and I've met "Radar Satan" on a moto-bike.

So, I agree with your point about exceptions to the rule -- there will always be exceptions.. The main point comes from a lack of mixing -- in the case of the lawyers I mentioned, they hang together, tell bad ethnic jokes, and generally abuse just about every one around them. Does this mean they are all bad -- NO!

However, when people are encouraged to act in a way that is harmful to people NOT in their clique, it can create problems very similar to the school shootings that have happened over the last few years. People deserve respect from the start – if they prove unworthy of it, then they should be avoided, but not insulted or abused.

So, yes, I should have put a remark to exonerate the few "good" lawyers that do hard work and treat people well, however, I would hope that you would get my main point regarding 1) cliques 2) people who have not walked in others shoes...