Edmunds: What's Wrong At Honda? Maybe Everything

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010 | 02:24 AM
Burning Brakes

If you're going to talk about aerodynamics as *the* determining factor for "halo car" status then apparently the LF-A is less of a halo car than the Audi A2.
Old 06-07-2010 | 07:26 AM
Race Director

Old 06-07-2010 | 08:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

What's funny is people trying to reason with SSFTSX.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:04 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
What's funny is people trying to reason with SSFTSX.
He does seem to have an endless supply of links to try to make his point - but I guess if one looks enough one could find a link that says the Aztec was the best looking SUV evar.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
It is not halo car. It uses same transmission and engine of Genesis which is failed product. Equs wont have resale values like RL. that is called exclusivity and desirablity. If some thing was wrong with RL. it wouldnt be on top resale value. The car is limited to dealer supplies. just look at lease rate on RL.

Acura created two flagships. Acura MDX and ZDX. both have 6speed Auto and in case of ZDX adjustable magnetic fluid suspension. even the engines in MDX/ZDX has torque lowered at 4500rpm vs 5000rpm for RL.
RL dont even have 6speed auto, upgraded engine, HDD navigation, standard 19inch rims and all around monitors like ZDX/MDX.
RL is just Honda legend. it is not flagship for Acura anymore. Acura is tier-1 due to its SUV lineup. just like RR.
Acura is not going to waste time on V8 flagship unless there is big SUV for world markets like Nissan Patrol & Toyota landcruiser. For the same reason Honda didnot create V6 and V8 diesel as there is no World SUV like Toyota and Nissan. and since there was no V6/V8 diesel the sale of Honda legend didnot went up in Europe. There is no Honda Pilot diesel and like Land Cruiser Prado.
I just saw JD survey for UK. Both Euro Accord and CRV on top in there respective segment. When Honda want to do it. it can do better than anyone else. as it has the money of past decades.
It is different philoshpy.
The only thing that failed is your logic. How can you on one hand say the Genesis failed (which it hasnt) and shares the same trans as the Equus. When Every thing in the Acura Line pretty much comes from teh same parts bin. Motors, trans, switches etc....

Oh and since you are looking in report books, Look at CR, they rated the Genesis top notch. Also pick up the latest Car and Driver, where the Genesis came in first in that comparo (where NO Acura was in or considered because the TL was too expensive for the comparo)

There is nothing special about NSX. Its Cd was even higher than TSX. its low sales led to its discontinuation. it was Halo car in 1990 but not in 2000.

ZDX/MDX has new transmissions and engine rpm tweaked. suspension & interior upgraded and new features added along with lighter 19inch standard rims. there is no implementation of SH-AWD in Honda products. Every thing is exclusive to Acura.
Equas is just a big boat with underpowered & coarse engine for its class and load it with cheap electronics..

ZDX has concave dash design. very futuristic simplistic.
Nor would i consider this a Interior of a Halo car. Nor with its cheap electronics, big boat and coarse underpowered engine. Wait till the equus comes out. go sit in one, touch its soft leather, and soft touch dash and doors. Then go touch the harder leather, and harder touch dash and doors.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its the ground clearance dude, ground clearance is clearly where Hyundai falls short its in quest to make luxury cars. I thought that was clear by now.

I guess the ground clearance argument explains why luxury crossovers are all the rage. Its clearly what luxury customers want and look for.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:44 AM
Registered Member

So is basically a Range Rover a better luxury product than them low-slung Rolls and Bentleys?

I would've never known if he didn't come here to make my case.

Gawd I wish he could be banned for trolling. No one's that st00pid.
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:26 AM
hail to the victors

When Honda want to do it. it can do better than anyone else. as it has the money of past decades.
It is different philoshpy.

well honda should screw that philosophy and join the party.

bringing back my prelude is a start. at least make RL bigger so it can go up against Lucerne or any other large non RWD sedans. just make a better Buick. that would be a better strategy IMO.
Old 06-07-2010 | 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chungkopi
well honda should screw that philosophy and join the party.

bringing back my prelude is a start. at least make RL bigger so it can go up against Lucerne or any other large non RWD sedans. just make a better Buick. that would be a better strategy IMO.[/QUOTE]
Making RL bigger will need another platform and engine. suppose you make $10b investment for creating a true halo car not wannabe like Equus and have only $10m (very big stretch) profit per year from such project. ( i doubt anyone can sell more than 10000 copies a year. people see $10m profit but not seeing $10b of investment and critical engineering resources used up.
Money will be recovered in about 1000 years.
Honda hast developed larger diesel engine yet. so it wont sell in Europe and BRIC countries. It takes 7 to 8 years of development and testing. unless Honda creates a dedicated SUV group for the world markets like RR or MB/Toyota/Nissan. so atleast engines and tranmssion are certified for larger number of vehicles.
so RL will still be Halo car in its price segment. no need to compare to larger and expensive cars.
Old 06-07-2010 | 12:28 PM
Registered Member

I think personally that the next RL should attack the Lexus LS460 Sport or A8 S-Line or 750i M-Sport in size and persona. Do it with SH-AWD standard as before and supercharge that motherf.
Old 06-07-2010 | 12:40 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Originally Posted by dom
Its the ground clearance dude, ground clearance is clearly where Hyundai falls short its in quest to make luxury cars. I thought that was clear by now.

I guess the ground clearance argument explains why luxury crossovers are all the rage. Its clearly what luxury customers want and look for.
No, no, no. Its clearly the amber hue of the turn signals. Thats why Bimmers and Benzes are no match for the awesome might of Acura.
Old 06-07-2010 | 02:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JD23
It's a bit difficult to find a RWD Audi. You can argue that some of their vehicles are RWD-biased AWD, but the added AWD system still adds weight compared to true RWD.
Yes but you don't have to have ALL of the above. At least some.

At least Audi has coupe, Convertible and V8...

Acura has NONE of the above.
Old 06-07-2010 | 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
No, no, no. Its clearly the amber hue of the turn signals. Thats why Bimmers and Benzes are no match for the awesome might of Acura.
Do you mean the amber lamps?
Old 06-07-2010 | 03:33 PM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I think personally that the next RL should attack the Lexus LS460 Sport or A8 S-Line or 750i M-Sport in size and persona. Do it with SH-AWD standard as before and supercharge that motherf.
problem is that Acura doesn't have V8. sooner or later all of v8's will have over 400hp. RL can't compete with that. RL can't even compete with E or 5, so i don't see any point going after big boys.

but there might be people who are interested in a better and bigger Avalon. i hate cars getting too big, but RL might benefit from getting bigger. TSX/TL for younger buyers and RL for older folks. i bet it will do better than 150 a month.
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Do you mean the amber lamps?
Amber lamps!

Old 06-07-2010 | 04:06 PM
Registered Member

problem is that Acura doesn't have V8. sooner or later all of v8's will have over 400hp. RL can't compete with that. RL can't even compete with E or 5, so i don't see any point going after big boys.

but there might be people who are interested in a better and bigger Avalon. i hate cars getting too big, but RL might benefit from getting bigger. TSX/TL for younger buyers and RL for older folks. i bet it will do better than 150 a month.
I think forced induction can be their key to getting around a V-8. In a lot of wasy I'd say their vehicle would be like the MKS EcoBoost, right down to the engine. But in quality and persona, etc., aim for the serious luxury.

A big sport luxury sedan. What a concept for Acura.
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

bringing back my prelude is a start. at least make RL bigger so it can go up against Lucerne or any other large non RWD sedans. just make a better Buick. that would be a better strategy IMO.
Making RL bigger will need another platform and engine. suppose you make $10b investment for creating a true halo car not wannabe like Equus and have only $10m (very big stretch) profit per year from such project. ( i doubt anyone can sell more than 10000 copies a year. people see $10m profit but not seeing $10b of investment and critical engineering resources used up.
Money will be recovered in about 1000 years.
Honda hast developed larger diesel engine yet. so it wont sell in Europe and BRIC countries. It takes 7 to 8 years of development and testing. unless Honda creates a dedicated SUV group for the world markets like RR or MB/Toyota/Nissan. so atleast engines and tranmssion are certified for larger number of vehicles.
so RL will still be Halo car in its price segment. no need to compare to larger and expensive cars.
At least Hyundai is going forward, and not backwards like Honda is. Hyundai is in the early stages and already getting more attention and more concern from other automakers than Acura has past present or future. The mere fact Hyundai is willing to make and take such large steps to make cars to compete with the germans (unlike honda, and DONT even bring up the stupid sh-awd argument) Every auto manufacturer is concerned by how fast Hyundai is climbing. The same cant be said about the lowly little Acura nameplate who seems to be regressing.
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:11 PM

Ground clearance? We're talking about ground clearance?

The day I see someone rock climbing in an Acura is the day I shit my pants on purpose in front of a live national audience. Oh and by the way, I LIVE IN the Bay Area and I have a lowered car with a long nose and even then I don't have too much trouble getting up driveways. Someone's making it sound like the RL is as low as a Corvette
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:14 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Hyundai Genesis cannot even outsell VW CC now. It is failed product despite its low price and very poorly designed interior. too plain and dated.
Whatever happened to the "low volume" = "exclusivity" argument? (A clear sign of someone who is grasping at strings is someone who constantly contradicts himself in arguments.)

Besides, the Genesis sedan doesn't compete against the CC, but E segment sedans such as the GS and M which it is outselling (even the new M).

Equas is just a big boat with underpowered & coarse engine for its class and load it with cheap electronics..

I will not consider this interior as of Halo Car. there is no design flavor
An "underpowered and coarse" engine that has made Ward's Top 10 engine list twice (btw, that's what a lot of people say about Honda 4-bangers).

As for "cheap electronics" - the Equus has an audio system that blows away anything in the Acura lineup.

Now, as for the center stack, yeah, the design and materials are a bit disappointing (the Sonata has a better center stack design), but the ambiance of the rear passenger compartment is something that none of Acura's lineup can come close to matching (remember, the Equus, first and foremost, is a car to be driven in).

Old 06-07-2010 | 04:21 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Ground clearance? We're talking about ground clearance?

The day I see someone rock climbing in an Acura is the day I shit my pants on purpose in front of a live national audience. Oh and by the way, I LIVE IN the Bay Area and I have a lowered car with a long nose and even then I don't have too much trouble getting up driveways. Someone's making it sound like the RL is as low as a Corvette
Damn Daniel I don't want to see that image dude!
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
At least Hyundai is going forward, and not backwards like Honda is. Hyundai is in the early stages and already getting more attention and more concern from other automakers than Acura has past present or future. The mere fact Hyundai is willing to make and take such large steps to make cars to compete with the germans (unlike honda, and DONT even bring up the stupid sh-awd argument) Every auto manufacturer is concerned by how fast Hyundai is climbing. The same cant be said about the lowly little Acura nameplate who seems to be regressing.
+1

Acura hasn't even built a sedan to compete with the Genesis, which offers most of what the RL does in sheer features and most of the interior quality but RWD and a V-8 (even the V-6 handily outruns and outsips the RL). In short the Genesis in interior and content is darn near the RL and mechanically goes above.

The Equus goes FAR above. It's really quite sad to see HYUNDAI building a vehicle so superior to what Acura's finest is.
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:28 PM
Registered Member

The Equus materials are not disappointing. I've sat in one twice now and it is quite a bit better than photos suggest. Leather, metal, and wood abound, unlike in the RL, which has a good interior but isn't on that level in the slightest. No Acura interior is.
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:33 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
The Equus materials are not disappointing.
My main gripe is w/ the center stack (both materials and design) - about on the level of the center stack of the Lexus GS, which isn't good enough for this segment.

To be fair, the Equus was developed first and foremost for Hyundai's home market.

While Honda/Acura should have done a proper F segment sedan a while ago, there is a lot of competition in Japan (aside from the Germans) w/ the now Lexus branded LS460, the Toyota Crown Series, Nissan Cima and President, etc.

Last edited by YEH; 06-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2010 | 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by YEH
My main gripe is w/ the center stack (both materials and design) - about on the level of the center stack of the Lexus GS, which isn't good enough for this segment.
The GS receives good reviews for its interior.
Old 06-07-2010 | 05:46 PM
Drifting

So can we start a poll to see who thinks this asshat SSFTSX needs to be banned? He's a complete fucking moron.

Acura has lost its way, get over it, they won't be anywhere near where the other brands are for a good 10-15 years and that is only if they pull a Hyundai and turn everything around.
Old 06-07-2010 | 05:57 PM
Pinky all stinky

It's the people who keep replying to him who ruins it.
Old 06-07-2010 | 06:18 PM
Safety Car

how many $45k SUV or sedans Hyundai can sell per month?. where is the progress. All i see is debasement of brand through lower prices.
When Gensis RWD cannot pass Accord baseds TL sales and new Hyundai Sonata has 0% financing. and Elantra has $2000cash back and still cannot pass 5 year Honda Civic. I dont see any future for such a brand except for government motor. and real life resale value. Honda is still at the top.
6 year Old RL design still has better resale value than any Hyundai. this is called exclusivity.
This is from Nissan head. which is selling 6000 FWD Maxima sedans a month (Hyundai cant sell 6000 RWD sedans a month) and rock solid SUV heritage around the world. they are not developing bigger engines. they are going to source it from MB group.
Honda either has to source such thing from outside or not developing it unless alternative use is established on mass scale.
Once you spread resources on large number of products. the quality suffers.
Honda strategy is pretty success ful by not listening to enthusiasts temptations as they are low volume products. only bigger groups like VW and Toyota can realistically afford in current environment. others are making big alliances like Renault-Nissan-MB-Autovaz. BMW will be soon on its last legs.
There will be time for purchasing Hyundai brand by Honda once it goes under.

http://www.carzbuzz.com/story/go-big...s-size-matters
Go big or go home: Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn says automaker’s size matters
No 3 million-unit carmaker can make it,” Ghosn said, talking about his companies (Renault-Nissan) recently announced alliance with Daimler AG. “You also must be in every market — and it’s not just Japan, Europe and the United States anymore but also Brazil, Russia, China and India. And you better be in Indonesia, too.”
Ghosn said that every large automaker must be able to simultaneously develop gasoline, diesel, hybrid and electric-vehicle technology since it is difficult to predict which one of those will take center-stage in the future.
Old 06-07-2010 | 06:46 PM
Team Owner

how many $45k SUV or sedans Hyundai can sell per month?. where is the progress. All i see is debasement of brand through lower prices.
When Gensis RWD cannot pass Accord baseds TL sales and new Hyundai Sonata has 0% financing. and Elantra has $2000cash back and still cannot pass 5 year Honda Civic. I dont see any future for such a brand except for government motor. and real life resale value. Honda is still at the top.
6 year Old RL design still has better resale value than any Hyundai. this is called exclusivity.
This is from Nissan head. which is selling 6000 FWD Maxima sedans a month (Hyundai cant sell 6000 RWD sedans a month) and rock solid SUV heritage around the world. they are not developing bigger engines. they are going to source it from MB group.
Honda either has to source such thing from outside or not developing it unless alternative use is established on mass scale.
Honda strategy is pretty success ful by not listening to enthusiasts temptations as they are low volume products. only bigger groups like VW and Toyota can realistically afford in current environment. others are making big alliances like Renault-Nissan-MB-Autovaz. BMW will be soon on its last legs.

WOW WOW just WOW...i am trying very hard not to do any "personal attack" here

1. Why are you comparing Maxima # with Genesis?? it is like comparing Civics #s with S-class... by your logic.. i will love it when they sell more TL than Corolla or Camry...

2. Exclusivity?? you drive an ACURA.... not an ENZO...RL is not NSX or GTR.... it is a mass production vehicle except there is no "mass buyers" for it and that is not exclusivity.. THAT IS FAIL!

BMW is on its last legs? <---- i am not even going to say anything about that

"There will be time for purchasing Hyundai brand by Honda once it goes under" i think it is more like the other way around in a few years.
Old 06-07-2010 | 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

When Gensis RWD cannot pass Accord baseds TL sales and new Hyundai Sonata has 0% financing.
The genesis isnt designed to compete against the accord (though it does take away some sales simply due to the inflated price of the accord) The better question is how many 45K+ RLs can Acura sell per month

And there is NO way Honda will ever be able to purchase Hyundai. Maybe the reverse though.
Old 06-07-2010 | 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

2. Exclusivity?? you drive an ACURA.... not an ENZO...RL is not NSX or GTR.... it is a mass production vehicle except there is no "mass buyers" for it and that is not exclusivity.. THAT IS FAIL!

"There will be time for purchasing Hyundai brand by Honda once it goes under" i think it is more like the other way around in a few years.

He talks about Exclusivity so much, but yet NOTHING Acura makes is an Exclusive automobile. They are ALL Mass Produced vehicles with intent for large sales volumes. Only hitch is the RL is in a market by it self because Acura cant make it a vehicle good enough to compete with the big boys and is stuck it basically trying to compete against its cheaper sibling the TL.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 06-07-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2010 | 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by phile
It's the people who keep replying to him who ruins it.
And it doesn't help when some people bitch about the people that keep replying. It's the same thing, really, isn't it?

Old 06-07-2010 | 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
So can we start a poll to see who thinks this asshat SSFTSX needs to be banned? He's a complete fucking moron.
It's not just him being dumb. It's just plain trolling. So clearly it's trolling. The hypocrisy of what he says is maddening. His grammar is uneducated and improper to say the least, and he clearly just enjoys getting a rise out of people.

In short, I'm all for it!
Old 06-07-2010 | 07:39 PM

dom already said no can do because aside from being an annoying, baseless PITA he isn't doing anything outright offensive enough to warrant a ban

Ignore list will have to do for now... and IF ONLY PEOPLE WOULD STOP QUOTING HIM, IT WOULD ALSO HELP A LOT.
Old 06-07-2010 | 08:16 PM
hail to the victors

I actually sat on Equus multiple times and pictures don't do justice. interior material quality is on par with LS430 IMO. design wise, i prefer LS430, but material is there. Equus interior is very easy on eyes like LS430. you just have to sit down and touch it. Equus totally destroys Genesis interior quality.

and I maybe in a minority, but I like LS430's interior more than LS460. and actually i think LS430 has better interior quality than LS460 to me.

Last edited by chungkopi; 06-07-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2010 | 08:28 PM
Drifting

The only complaint I have about either of those interiors is the wood grain on the steering wheel, I've always hated that and never understood why manufacturers wouldn't make that an option rather than standard.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
The only complaint I have about either of those interiors is the wood grain on the steering wheel, I've always hated that and never understood why manufacturers wouldn't make that an option rather than standard.
People must want it so it's standard.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:44 PM
Safety Car

The genesis isnt designed to compete against the accord (though it does take away some sales simply due to the inflated price of the accord) The better question is how many 45K+ RLs can Acura sell per month

And there is NO way Honda will ever be able to purchase Hyundai. Maybe the reverse though.
Ok. How Hyundai is going to buy Honda?. It has only $30b revenue and what ever cash it is getting it is investing in too many products and too many markets. Honda is not going to do this stupidity. You need large cash buffer incase some thing happens like huge product recall or strikes.
Honda is $100b sales revenue firm. and has very vast industrial and real estate around the globe that is built and purchase over decades. Just look at Hero Honda India assets and turnover for Motor cycles.
Just the Honda brand name is worth $14B. and Honda has among largest cash on its balance sheet.
It can buy Hyundai motors today just on Cash. The more Yen moves up Honda sales go down to certain extent but net cash position strengths as commodities are cheaper. but Korean won always devalues in crises. so Hyundai has to generate more sales relative to Honda to maintainn the same dollar value of Cash power. and it devalues the brand by too agressive pushing.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...355425228.html
SEOUL—Hyundai Motor Co. posted a fivefold jump in its first-quarter net profit, buoyed by strong overseas sales as demand picked up in line with the recovery in the global economy.

South Korea's top car maker by sales also maintained its sales target of 33.467 trillion South Korean won ($30.2 billion) for this year, up 5% from the 31.859 trillion won it reported in 2009.
"Hyundai continued to increase its market shares in the U.S. and Europe and equity method gains from Chinese and Indian plants pushed up the quarterly net profit," the company said in a statement. Equity method gains, or shareholding gains, are profits that come from affiliates to the parent company.
Hyundai's first quarter net profit surged to 1.127 trillion won from 225 billion a year earlier. Eleven analysts polled by Dow Jones Newswires had forecast on average a net profit of 845.5 billion won.
About RL. i is in its 6th year and most of its technologies are shared across Honda line up from engines to Sh-AWD to navigation system.
it is not a dedicated V8 RWD platform in isolation from Honda brand. so sales wont matter. It is its desirability in used car market that make it exclusive. as no other car its price range can match is resale value.
Old 06-07-2010 | 09:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
WOW WOW just WOW...i am trying very hard not to do any "personal attack" here

1. Why are you comparing Maxima # with Genesis?? it is like comparing Civics #s with S-class... by your logic.. i will love it when they sell more TL than Corolla or Camry...

I only compare price points of product.. dont care about FWD/RWD or length of the car.
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:23 PM
Team Owner

much?
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I only compare price points of product.. dont care about FWD/RWD or length of the car.
Sure you do. You constantly bring up the fact that the RL has SH-AWD and many others dont. so you must care. You also compare cars that dont compete with each other constantly all the time too.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: What's Wrong At Honda? Maybe Everything