E46 M3 Garage Queen - SMG OH Noez

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
details
I work with BMW's every day... two really good extended warranties out there are EasyCare Extended Warr (based out of Atlanta but they can set up an inspection for your vehicle whereever you are, 1800-230-2434)

and Fidelity Warranty (same as Fidelity Investments, 1800-327-5172)

As long as you get their best policies, they cover most everything... with exception of trim pieces, rubber bushings, and batteries.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
It's not a matter of tune. The issue is with the materials used to make the components in the fuel system. They will quickly deteriorate with that amount of alcohol in the line. The parts most likely to be effected are the injectors.
I don't think that is accurate
Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I believe with all the engine problems with the M3, the 2003 is one of the years that carried a 6/100,000 mile warranty on lubricated engine parts. Naturally it's beyound the 6 years, but there was a problem with the early engines.

"12/02
Dear Valued M Enthusiast,

We hope that you are continuing to enjoy your M car and that your BMW ownership experience is everything you hoped it would be. At BMW of North America we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations now and in the future. We are grateful to you for your passion and enthusiasm for M cars. BMW has always maintained an open dialogue with our valued customers and BMW centers. As you may be aware, we have seen cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in engine failure. We are listening to your comments and concerns and have been meticulously researching this issue. We promise to keep you informed of any issues that affect your vehicle’s engine. To further strengthen your confidence in your BMW and assure you of our commitment, we will extend the warranty on the above referenced vehicle identification number for all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Enclosed is a copy of the extended warranty statement for your records. Please insert this page into your Service and Warranty booklet, as it is transferable to any subsequent owner. We continue to recommend that you only use BMW approved SAE10W-60 synthetic oil in your engine. Please be aware that your engine needs to be at operating temperature before you take advantage of its full power at high engine speeds.
Please do not over-rev the engine under any circumstances. Be careful not to pump the accelerator pedal when there is no engine load, e.g. when the vehicle is not in motion. The best, most efficient and safest way to warm up an engine is to drive with moderate engine speeds until you reach the operating temperature. We assure you that we stand behind our product and will always continue to listen to our customers. If you have any additional questions please contact your authorized BMW center or call Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117"

As the $16K price is about 4 grand below the private book, good deal if in excellent condition, tires included as they are expensive.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I believe with all the engine problems with the M3, the 2003 is one of the years that carried a 6/100,000 mile warranty on lubricated engine parts. Naturally it's beyound the 6 years, but there was a problem with the early engines.

"12/02
Dear Valued M Enthusiast,

We hope that you are continuing to enjoy your M car and that your BMW ownership experience is everything you hoped it would be. At BMW of North America we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations now and in the future. We are grateful to you for your passion and enthusiasm for M cars. BMW has always maintained an open dialogue with our valued customers and BMW centers. As you may be aware, we have seen cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in engine failure. We are listening to your comments and concerns and have been meticulously researching this issue. We promise to keep you informed of any issues that affect your vehicle’s engine. To further strengthen your confidence in your BMW and assure you of our commitment, we will extend the warranty on the above referenced vehicle identification number for all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Enclosed is a copy of the extended warranty statement for your records. Please insert this page into your Service and Warranty booklet, as it is transferable to any subsequent owner. We continue to recommend that you only use BMW approved SAE10W-60 synthetic oil in your engine. Please be aware that your engine needs to be at operating temperature before you take advantage of its full power at high engine speeds.
Please do not over-rev the engine under any circumstances. Be careful not to pump the accelerator pedal when there is no engine load, e.g. when the vehicle is not in motion. The best, most efficient and safest way to warm up an engine is to drive with moderate engine speeds until you reach the operating temperature. We assure you that we stand behind our product and will always continue to listen to our customers. If you have any additional questions please contact your authorized BMW center or call Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117"

As the $16K price is about 4 grand below the private book, good deal if in excellent condition, tires included as they are expensive.
That warrantee is over either way haha.

does come with new tires and brakes. It seems prices are falling on these so I'm going to pass. If only this guy weren't 2k miles away: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=353916
Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
That warrantee is over either way haha.

does come with new tires and brakes. It seems prices are falling on these so I'm going to pass. If only this guy weren't 2k miles away: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=353916
Wtf?! Where were these deals when I was looking?!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Wtf?! Where were these deals when I was looking?!
just looked at an 2003.5 6MT with 88k for 16k. I don't think it was that great of a deal considering what I've seen elsewhere. Especially since the car needs a windshield and the front has clear coat issues and LOTS of rock chips. The search continues!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
What happened to the car that was two minutes away?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
It's not a matter of tune. The issue is with the materials used to make the components in the fuel system. They will quickly deteriorate with that amount of alcohol in the line. The parts most likely to be effected are the injectors.
Dont forget fuel lines as well as gaskets, those will corrode away since they are technically not for this supposed 15% ethanol.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

just looked at an 2003.5 6MT with 88k for 16k. I don't think it was that great of a deal considering what I've seen elsewhere. Especially since the car needs a windshield and the front has clear coat issues and LOTS of rock chips. The search continues!
Ah, that's a lot closer to the normal market then.

I was digging for a couple months myself for a M3. Had a beautiful LSB in Abilene ($21K, under 50K on the odo), and it sold just days before I was ready to go see it at the dealer.

Good luck in your search, though. Hopefully you'll find a good one quicker than I will.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by charliemike
What happened to the car that was two minutes away?
After hearing the horror stories I've been scared away from SMG. My uncle's broke at 30k miles. Then again in the parking lot at the dealer when he went to pick it up. Thank GOD it was still under warantee.

The issue is that failure happens intermittently. There is no preventative measure. It could break at 10,30, 75, 180k miles. As of yet there is no measurement as to when and why they fail. So I could drive it out of the guy's garage, after signing the bill of sale, and have the SMG light come on and the car go into limp mode.

So, even though it's a great deal I'm going to pass. There are other great deals out there. It's a buyer's market for cars. Especially cars like this.

I was digging for a couple months myself for a M3. Had a beautiful LSB in Abilene ($21K, under 50K on the odo), and it sold just days before I was ready to go see it at the dealer.

Good luck in your search, though. Hopefully you'll find a good one quicker than I will.
Thanks . Are you still looking?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

^^

I can absolutely understand that. I wouldn't want to take that risk either ... Unless the owner priced in that risk.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks . Are you still looking?
At this time, no. I couldn't find the right one, so I ended up buying out my TL. I do want to pick one up in the next 2-3 years though.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Unregistered user

Mixed reviews about SMG just means that its not perfect.... Meaning it lives up to some people's standards, but not others. If you find yourself second guessing even at a good deal then you'll regret it about 8 months in.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They're HARD to find clean and reasonably priced, and when those do come up they're gone in about 5 minutes. I've looked/almost bought myself.

Last edited by Brandon24pdx; 02-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
They're HARD to find clean and reasonably priced, and when those do come up they're gone in about 5 minutes. I've looked/almost bought myself.
Thread Hijack

How do you like your 135i? Did you ever post pictures of it?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I don't think that is accurate
OK..., you asked for the advice.

olefins and diolefins...I could explain these issues in detail to you, however with your snarky attitude I think you should look 'em up yourself. Don't ask for good advice if you will not use it.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 02-23-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
My general rule is to stay away from old BMW's. Period. SMG, 6MT, whatever. It WILL bite you sooner or later (and E46 M3 bites are expensive)....
Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

OK..., you asked for the advice.

olefins and diolefins...I could explain these issues in detail to you, however with your snarky attitude I think you should look 'em up yourself. Don't ask for good advice if you will not use it.
I'm not sure how disagreeing with you makes him snarky.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I'm not sure how disagreeing with you makes him snarky.
Guess you missed this post \/ where he called me a liar.

I anticipate having to replace starter or alternator (battery is new)

no links = lies
Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Guess you missed this post \/ where he called me a liar.
I think that was being facetious ... We do that all the time here.