Drove a 350Z and CL-S back to back yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002 | 08:49 AM
10th Gear

Drove a 350Z and CL-S back to back yesterday

Impressions:

350Z:

Exterior - Holy shit this car looks great in person!!! A combo of an Audi TT and Porsche 911. The one I drove was a Brickyard/Grey Touring. Brickyard isn't my favorite color, kinda purplely (like a real dark red wine). It'd look even better with the Track wheels, but still looked great (2 HUGE exhaust pipes sticking out the back, got to be 4 inches each).

Interior - Holy shit they forgot to do the inside of the car!!! WTF happened? Nissan run out of ideas? The seats are ok, but not what you'd expect (personally I thought they were a little too narrow, I'm 5'10"/200 lbs). The instramentation/dask was ok, but switches/button/levers were just in strange places, I kept having to take my eyes of the road to find the OBC/mirror adjustments, etc. The interior body paneling is flat out cheap! Reminded me of the inside of the Beetle we had when I was a kid growing up. As far as a trunk, forget it. I'd have to get a walking bag for golf and take out my woods every time I wanted to get the sticks in the car (not to mention I'd end up scratching the shit out of the pretty Z-strut bar cutting across the trunk). The dealer added a 10 Disc DVD player which was nice (the screen goes where the NAV is). Kinda cool, but you can do that to any car.

The Drive - Got in, fired her up, put in Mission Impossible on DVD, went to put it in reverse, got 6th, tried again, got 6th, tried again, got 6th, tried (COME ON YOU MFer) again, finally got it in reverse (you gotta push down on it to engage reverse). Got it out on the open road, man the engine/exhaust note is sweet. The shifter has the shortest throws (like a S2000). Opened her up a little, nice and smooth and FAST. Got it into some twisty roads, Holy Shit this is the best handling car I've driven since my M3. Got on the brakes (90 in a 35, oops!), nice. Got back on the open road and punched in through 1st & 2nd into third, oh yeah baby. Got it back to the dealership and I was in love with this car. Then I had some time to look around the interior again.

The Verdict - A great drving car. Stunning looks with the best handling I've seen in a long while. Plenty of power whenever you need it. Is that enough for you to overlook the horrid interior, not for me. I promptly went up the street to the Acura dealership and took a CL-S 6 speed for a spin. Now this is how the inside of a car is supposed to be. Everything exactly where it should be. Quality leather and aluminum interior paneling. Great seats. Plenty of power to the road (greanted not as much as the Z, but nothing CAI & Headers can't fix). A little bit "rolly" through the corners, but hey, you can't have it all (unless you got 60K for a new M3 SMG/Nav). I'll be happy with the CLS, but keep an eye out for the G35 Coupe. If they can clean up the interior, get some trunk space (new golf bags are expensive, and I like the one I have now), and maybe even figure out how to put a sunroof on the G35 I'll be putting my name on the list for one of those bad boys.
Old 09-20-2002 | 09:04 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Re: Drove a 350Z and CL-S back to back yesterday

Originally posted by acs01
Impressions:
The dealer added a 10 Disc DVD player which was nice (the screen goes where the NAV is). Kinda cool, but you can do that to any car.

Not that is damn interesting! Do you think it was actually the nav screen, or whas it an aftermarket screen? Doesn't the factory screen pop up from the dash above the radio and ac controls?
Old 09-20-2002 | 09:11 AM
Race Director

gee i kinda like the interior. the g35's interior sucks ass btw.
Old 09-20-2002 | 09:15 AM
go like hell

I must be the only one on this bored that doesn't dig the new new Z. grant it might be fast. but to me I want a car that looks as good as it's fast. that's where the CL-S fits in.
Old 09-20-2002 | 09:51 AM
Casual Observer

My only issue with the new Z is the interior.

The motor rocks and the exterior styling is great.

The interior is not for me though.
Old 09-20-2002 | 09:57 AM
Casual Observer

Originally posted by dhlesq
My only issue with the new Z is the interior.

The motor rocks and the exterior styling is great.

The interior is not for me though.
Of course....

My only issue with the CL-S is the FWD.

The motor rocks and the interior styling is great.

The FWD is not for me though.

....just to prove I'm not too biased.
Old 09-20-2002 | 10:05 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: Drove a 350Z and CL-S back to back yesterday

Originally posted by bl^5
Not that is damn interesting! Do you think it was actually the nav screen, or whas it an aftermarket screen? Doesn't the factory screen pop up from the dash above the radio and ac controls?
It was an aftermarket screen (Audiovox I think). Picture was ok. The car didn't have Nav the DVD Screen was just in the Nav hole. The Nav in the Z is in a compartment with a lid you open and roll back. The G35's have the one that pops up out of the console (agree, THAT would be cool).
Old 09-21-2002 | 10:39 AM
The Liquidator

i wouldnt get a Z over the CL type S.
The only way i am getting rid of the cl l (6 spd by the way) is when i get the new m3/
U should step up/..not DOWN.. and NISSAN is a step down compared to acura.Z might be impressive..but not impressive enough!

PH