Don't trust strangers... Ever

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
either they replace the car... or you bring it to your own detailer and send them the bill... tell them that after this incident, you don't trust them with the paint/bodywork...
Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I would have it professionally detailed, then send the dealer the bill.

What awful service. Sorry to read of this.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh, hell, no. Those pics piss me off.

I would be giving them hell.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by riplee
TRUST ME, I really wanted the MDX and we looked at that long and hard! Spending another 8-10k was just impossible. Having a car payment almost as much as your mortgage would be ridiculous.
Or you could have settled for a base 09 MDX (which is what we did), which actually came in cheaper (@ $35k) than the loaded Murano LE AWD ($40k) we were planning to get. (Granted the loaded Mo LE has more bells and whistled than our MDX.)

But I feel for you regarding this experience. I'm a little ticked off just from reading your account.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Never have the dealer wash or "detail" your car. NEVER.

Either DIY, or go to a pro.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow that looks terrible :-/ With dealerships its always a hit or a miss. And it seems as though it doesnt matter what make of dealer it is theres always good ones and bad ones.

When i was buying my tsx, my salesman was awesome with me and he told me everything upfront. The price he told me the day of checking the car out and the price of it when i was signing the papers was the same. Loaners provided at no cost and free carwashes included.

When i was buying my Escape, my salesman gave me one price and then when i went to sign it went up about 500$. He had also told me they provide free loaners, but when i went to the finance guy and asked him about it, he said not unless i buy the extended warranty. Salesman came to me and told me this is something he does personally with his customers :-/ (Im sure if my escape needs servicing one of these days he either wont be in the office or hes going to pretend he never told me that.)

It definitely helps looking at reviews though. Looking at their deals isnt the only important thing to look at, especially if you plan on dealer servicing your car.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
I guess I'm confused...so when you picked up the car, you did an inspection and there were no scratches...then you brought it in for detailing and then those scratches appeared?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 PM
AMFTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
I guess I'm confused...so when you picked up the car, you did an inspection and there were no scratches...then you brought it in for detailing and then those scratches appeared?
Correct. Paint was FLAWLESS, I made DAMN sure. Even with everyone wanting to leave, I knew it was very important to check EVERYTHING before we took it off the lot.

For the week we had it, I would inspect it every evening I got home, just like I would my 04 TL. And never saw any blemishes. The morning after the detailing (Car went straight from dealer to home the previous day) First thing I see in the sun are horrid swirl marks and scratches running across the car.

What upsets me most is it didn't even need to be washed.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM
AMFTW

And for those asking about the "repainting" issue, they were only suggesting the passenger side front fender where the scratches only exist now... well for now, we shall see if the other ones reappear. Honestly if it comes down to repainting is the only way to fix this, forget this car and give me a new one.

I'm seriously considering demanding a new car like others have said. I'm getting more raged about the whole situation as I have not received a phone call today or an answer when i called the dealership.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Correct. Paint was FLAWLESS, I made DAMN sure. Even with everyone wanting to leave, I knew it was very important to check EVERYTHING before we took it off the lot.
Gotcha. That sux. From what I saw, even a modest detailer could get those scratches out without you ever knowing (I used to detail cars as a side job in college). Of course that should be on Toyota's dime. I know you're pissed, but if you demand a new car, they're not going to take you seriously and your service may get worse.

And it's a shame you went the Toyota route...warranted or not, resale on Toyotas will take a hit for the forseeable future. From personable experience, I've just never been a fan of Toyotas and your experience comes as no surprise

Last edited by Type34; 05-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i just sold my es300 and went with an acura. we have one toyota left and the wife is unsure she wants to buy another....
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
In all honestly, I'd say return the car and go to a new dealership. Clearly this one is full of fail and it doesn't seem like they will change, they might get more frustrated of your demands (demands that DESERVE to be met, I would be asking for the same) and might give you a hard time.

As for dealership car washes, my sisters Lexus dealership does a good job, her car looks nice.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I'd never let a dealership detail my car. Usually the low end guys are responsible for details and oil changes.

Best of luck getting everything resolved.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
For the week we had it, I would inspect it every evening I got home, just like I would my 04 TL. And never saw any blemishes. The morning after the detailing (Car went straight from dealer to home the previous day) First thing I see in the sun are horrid swirl marks and scratches running across the car.

What upsets me most is it didn't even need to be washed.
Sounds to me like they covered up the damage using a glaze which won't last long with all this rain we've been having. My offer still stands if you want my help. I can understand if you choose to have the car replaced.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
AMFTW

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Sounds to me like they covered up the damage using a glaze which won't last long with all this rain we've been having. My offer still stands if you want my help. I can understand if you choose to have the car replaced.
Thanks I really appreciate that
I will let you know how it goes with the manager as he wasn't in today so I will be talking with him tomorrow.
That is my biggest fear is that they're just gonna cover it up so I'm going to make that very clear I want this done right, and I will return as many times as it takes and be the biggest pain in their ass till the end of time if this does not get taken care of properly.... they only care about covering their own asses the easiest way possible so we'll see what he says.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Last weekend my wife and I purchased a BRAND NEW 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited with DVD, Nav, Backup camera, the works. LOVE this vehicle. HATE the dealership. Why?... please continue reading.

We had been deciding on an SUV to purchase and finally narrowed it down to the highlander. We arrived Thursday morning (Day before my wife's birthday and our weekend trip to the beach) and did all the usual BS to work out financing. They find the one with everything we want just an hour north at another Toyota Dealership. they say they can have a driver go out that same day and pick it up and have it ready for us to drive off the lot the next morning.

Come morning we get a call at birthday breakfast that the driver never made it out last night and that she had just left the dealership at about 8:30 am. Now saying the vehicle wouldn't arrive until about 1pm. I am a man of my word. If i say I am going to do something, I will do it. Needless to say I'm upset. We decided to wait for our new car to take on the trip, so we arrived at the dealership at 1:15 and the Highlander is STILL not there. They say It's an hour out.... WHAT?!?!?!?!? We told 'em we're going to get some lunch and that it had better be there when we get back and they assure us it will.

2:30pm rolls around along with us to the dealership. STILL no car. We are very angry at this point as we did not plan on hanging out at the dealership on my wife's birthday. And the fact that we have two kids that are getting tired and asking why we aren't at the beach yet just made it that much more frustrating.

Car finally arrives at 3pm and we jet. The sales manager offered another tank of gas and detailing when we get back which we are like its the LEAST you can do at this point.
NOW THIS IS WHERE I GET VERY VERY VERY PISSED.

So my wife took the car in yesterday for the detailing. I look at it this morning and there are swirl marks ALL over the car. The vehicle IS BLACK. I understand that they are more apparent on this color than any other... overtime, NOT IN ONE WASH. It looks as if they wiped the dirt off the car DRY.... Forcefully! There are also two deeper scratches on the front fender. All looks to be clear coat but still. Now I have to go back and have this figured out. Meaning I'm not leaving until it's back to the way we bought it.

Anyone that has purchased a black car new.. maybe like some NBP owners here please share any comments and/or experiences. I'll take some pics when she gets home tonight. Car looks like the paint is at least 2 years old now.

Should I have them try to fix it or do it myself? I'm afraid they're gonna get screw something else up. What did I learn here?

Wash it myself, just like I always have.
I had the same issue with a black Rav4 puchased in 2007.

It's not a cause of a one time wash, but more likely with the poor detailing efforts of the goons at the dealer. If the car sits out in the lot for 2 months it'll most likely be washed at twice by then. You can imagine how bad the paint can get if it has been washed on multiple occassions by lazy dealership employees.

We also purchased a 2008 VW Jetta as well (brande new at the time as well). That had swirl marks, but the dealership gave it a rather thorough detail and they were not present any more. The did return a year later it's no doubt a result of an automated car wash.

I had a Honda Accord 2009 that I personally washed and never brought to a car wash, granted it was not black, but I could not find a single swirl mark and that paint held up VERY well. Even on Honda paint which is considered to be subpar.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:11 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I finally got back from the dealership and the swirls are for the most part gone. the deeper scratches that were in the front passenger side fender are still very visible. They're "Experts" will be in tomorrow through friday so I will be showing up to see what they can do.

From the looks of it they will most likely have to take away some clear coat
If I'm not happy 100% they agreed we could take the next step and have it repainted. So many things running through my head just trying to make the right decision.

Here are some pictures from this morning before i went to the dealership. Please keep in mind the car was dirty as it has been raining ALOT.

This is the Drivers side mirror

Passenger side rear door

Deeper scratches on the passenger side front fender (only ones still visible)

I just glanced over these pictures and the damage shown would indicate that the person detailing was not careful when they decided to clean the car. Those faint white scratches are a result of someone taking a towel and scratching of the dirt with their nail, even with the towel between your finger and the car it'll still make a scratch wet or dry (of course it would look 10x worse if you did it dry).