Don't care
4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Do you find SUV pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005 | 06:20 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Do you find SUV pointless?

How many of you find SUV's Pointless? People from where I live thinks SUV does not serve a purpose. Either get a car or a truck(pick-up). My opinion is different, my job doesn't require me to have a truck, nor do I haul anything around that a SUV wouldnt be capable of. Every one likes to bash them "because" they are gas guzzlers, Bulky in size, more chance of roll-over, boring driving experience, etc. And like trucks are any different . Im not bashing all the truck guys out there, but people need to lay off on bashing SUV's. I think an SUV's serves me a purpose, having room for 7 passengers, able to carry a cargo and NOT having to worry about it getting wet or stolen, more comfortable than a truck, etc.

What do you think?
Old 10-02-2005 | 06:40 PM
Rooting for Acura

I think you answered you own question.
Old 10-02-2005 | 06:43 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Originally Posted by knight rider
I think you answered you own question.

LOL but I want to know what you think
Old 10-02-2005 | 06:46 PM
Rooting for Acura

I think they do serve a purpose, but I really hate it when people think just because they have 2 kids that they NEED a Suburban.

Or in the case of Texans, we don't just want a truck, we want the biggest one we can find. For no real reason other than "It's bigger than yours". That's retarded.
Old 10-02-2005 | 06:58 PM
In need of an AV.........

Originally Posted by knight rider
I think they do serve a purpose, but I really hate it when people think just because they have 2 kids that they NEED a Suburban.

Or in the case of Texans, we don't just want a truck, we want the biggest one we can find. For no real reason other than "It's bigger than yours". That's retarded.

LOL--I have one kid and a Yukon XL.....Whatcha think about that?

j/k---It was less that 200 dollars more for the XL, it gets the same mpg as the Yukon (2 less around town that the 4 runner we traded for it), it has room for 9 people and luggage. I love it. Plus we tow a big damn boat, so the size helps.

XL's and suburbans are only 18 inches longer than their smaller counterparts.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I think they are. Old Guy at work gets shit about driving a minivan even tho' he doesn't have kids at home anymore. He likes it because there are time when he goes out golfing with friends or takes out the grandkids and needs a 7 seater. No need for a gas guzzling suv tho.

I love it when people use a suv for commuting with only the driver in it...

If I ever needed to tow a boat, trailer, etc, I'd get a pickup
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:09 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by JWhite1301
LOL--I have one kid and a Yukon XL.....Whatcha think about that?

j/k---It was less that 200 dollars more for the XL, it gets the same mpg as the Yukon (2 less around town that the 4 runner we traded for it), it has room for 9 people and luggage. I love it. Plus we tow a big damn boat, so the size helps.

XL's and suburbans are only 18 inches longer than their smaller counterparts.
at least you got a boat to tow - otherwise I'd have to whipya'
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

I have a Murano but, I generally feel that most SUV owners seem to have little practical need for them. ....and I confess we're one of them. Outside of AWD, lite offroad ability and towing (the latter two of which I'll probably never experience), my Murano really has little more utility than my Maxima.

Close friends of ours have an Excursion but they do have 6 kids so for them it more than makes sense.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:29 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Of course they serve a purpose, the thing is that most people don't get them because they need to go offroad and haul shit. They get their Range Rovers and don't take it out into the city because there are too many potholes or it's raining.
The other day I was on Rt. 1 headed to DC and in a left turn lane which had a red light to turn there were 7 SUVs back to back - not a single car - All SUVs waiting to turn into a little strip mall.

I hate SUVs but you know what, when that redneck in his 1989 Bronco behind me gets pissed and goes WOT to pass me because I'm only doing 50 on a 45 goes to fill up, it'll hurt him more than me.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:33 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Originally Posted by einsatz
when that redneck in his 1989 Bronco behind me gets pissed and goes WOT to pass me because I'm only doing 50 on a 45 goes to fill up, it'll hurt him more than me.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:34 PM
Outnumbered at home

Yes they can serve a purpose but no people do not use them for that purpose.

I know plenty of people that bought them just because there MIGHT be a reason to have a 9 seater and haul more shit than you will ever need. Amazing that my neighbors with 2 kids can not understand why I don't want an SUV at all. They are shocked that somehow my parents got by on sedans with 3 kids and they can't fit everything for 2 kids in a suv. Here's an idea. Don't bring every god damned toy you have with you
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:39 PM
The Third Ball

Well, since I can't afford any of the wagons I REALLY want. I am looking in to getting a used pathfinder.

A truck is pointless for me, where an SUV is worthwhile. Because, while I do have to haul gear, hauling the gear in an open area (back of a truck) is not a good idea for the amount of monies worth of gear I'll have with me. So have something that can haul it, AND keep it enclosed is nice. And place dont suggest a bed cover, because being able to open the rear doors to get to the cargo area (when the seats are folded down) to arrange gear or get to easier is priceless.

I'm home right now visiting my parents and they just traded their RX300 for a new RX400h, so I'm getting to drive that (i plan on doing a review of it.) It has VERY sporty handling (vs the RX330) responsive steering, tons of great usuable room, superb build quality, and it gets better gas mileage then my CL. Very quick too, for an SUV (7.3 0-60...same/quicker the my CL i think.)

SUVs do have their place, but I think 90% of people that have themhave no use for them, and think they are "safer" AND DO NOT know how to drive such a larger vehicle, making them a giant pain in the ass.

And Greenie, I agree minivans are great. And the reason im looking into an olde rpathfinder rather then a older minivan is:

Older minvans are smaller and more in the way of junk as far as im concerned. And a 2001 or newer Ody is more money then I want to afford, and I get back to the "trying to keep a car nice in LA."
And second, I cant get an older minivan in stick far as i know.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:42 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by F23A4
I have a Murano but, I generally feel that most SUV owners seem to have little practical need for them. ....and I confess we're one of them. Outside of AWD, lite offroad ability and towing (the latter two of which I'll probably never experience), my Murano really has little more utility than my Maxima.

Close friends of ours have an Excursion but they do have 6 kids so for them it more than makes sense.
I've had a Murano as a rental for month when I was working on a TV show driving all over the country.

This vehicle has tons of space and utility (we were carrying camera gear and some lighting gear.) and was a great sporty drive (we did things on mountain twistes you should never be able to do in an SUV.)

But I get what you're saying, the vehicle has about as much utility for you as a maxima does.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:43 PM

One more thing to add (in my situation)

We love to have our family around. We rarely take a trip just the three of us. Just about every weekend, we go to our lake home on center hill with at east two other people, if not more. The Yukon allows us to all ride together. This saves more gas than taking two cars.

Ok two more things to add: we will prolly keep the Yuke for at least 10-15 years. We plan on having one more kid and probably adopting or having a third.

Knight---We have a Mastercraft X30. The 4 runner would tow it, but stopping was a bitch. Towing it 50 miles to Center Hill every weekend sucked. I can barely tell it is behind the yuke.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I think they are. Old Guy at work gets shit about driving a minivan even tho' he doesn't have kids at home anymore. He likes it because there are time when he goes out golfing with friends or takes out the grandkids and needs a 7 seater. No need for a gas guzzling suv tho.

I love it when people use a suv for commuting with only the driver in it...

If I ever needed to tow a boat, trailer, etc, I'd get a pickup

I get 15.8 mpg around town int he Yukon XL. The Sienna and Odyssey are rated at 29 around town. 4 extra miles to the gallen is not that big of a difference, to justify calling the suv a gas guzzler vs a minivan. Also, most of smaller and midsize SUV's get the same MPG as the minivans do.
Old 10-02-2005 | 07:53 PM
The Third Ball

I get 15.8 mpg around town int he Yukon XL. The Sienna and Odyssey are rated at 29 around town. 4 extra miles to the gallen is not that big of a difference, to justify calling the suv a gas guzzler vs a minivan. Also, most of smaller and midsize SUV's get the same MPG as the minivans do.
Better gas on highways, too.

But a minivan is a more advatangeous in the fact that

1) When all the seats are down or removed you have EXPANSIVE storage room to haul just about anything.

2) lower clearance, so you are not breaking your back to lift the heavier item into the tailgate or side doors.

3) Much larger opening/access to the sidedoors.

4) because of the ground clearance and inner size/space of the minivan you can stand up inside (ducking) to move shit around and organize it.
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc

But I get what you're saying, the vehicle has about as much utility for you as a maxima does.
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:23 AM
failhard.

Since I live in Alaska, the general voice of opinion here is that they need a truck or SUV to have enough ground clearance to clear the snow in the winter. Which I think is rather pointless, since all snow on the main roads kinda just naturally disappear by the other drivers inadvertently shoveling it to the sides of the roads. The real cause for concern regarding ground clearance are neighborhoods. I had a hell of a time picking my friends up for school in my CL-S because the neighborhoods were always flooded with snow.
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:38 AM
Registered Driver

SUV with trailor hitch -
SUV without trailor hitch -
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:51 AM
The Designer

Everything is pointless to somebody, 4 door cars can be pointless to someone who only needs 2, exotic and sports cars are pointless because they go faster than streets allow, pickup trucks are pointless if you don't use the bed or haul stuff, etc. Does it mean people shouldn't have them? No. Buy what you like, just don't take your big ass SUV and tailgate me with it like I see every day and I'm cool.
Old 10-03-2005 | 02:58 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Originally Posted by BadBadNeil
Everything is pointless to somebody, 4 door cars can be pointless to someone who only needs 2, exotic and sports cars are pointless because they go faster than streets allow, pickup trucks are pointless if you don't use the bed or haul stuff, etc. Does it mean people shouldn't have them? No. Buy what you like, just don't take your big ass SUV and tailgate me with it like I see every day and I'm cool.

True
Old 10-03-2005 | 03:06 PM
50? you must be kidding!

Hate the damn things
Old 10-03-2005 | 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I think they are OVERKILL for 99% of the people that drive them...

I understand those who have 5 kids, a boat and a dog and actually USE them.. but most people I see with SUV's are fat women rarely with a passenger, sucking on a drink AND using a cell phone while supposedly driving.
Old 10-03-2005 | 04:56 PM

I just re-read my post about minivans. I meant to say they get 20mpg not 29mpg. My bad.
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:03 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I think they are OVERKILL for 99% of the people that drive them...

I understand those who have 5 kids, a boat and a dog and actually USE them.. but most people I see with SUV's are fat women rarely with a passenger, sucking on a drink AND using a cell phone while supposedly driving.

I hate the fact if i do get a used pathfinder i'll lumped into that category....cause im not working ill be driving along in an empty SUV...but when there is gear is in there...
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:07 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

SUVs
I will never own one.
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:16 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by MotionEffects
How many of you find SUV's Pointless? People from where I live thinks SUV does not serve a purpose. Either get a car or a truck(pick-up). My opinion is different, my job doesn't require me to have a truck, nor do I haul anything around that a SUV wouldnt be capable of. Every one likes to bash them "because" they are gas guzzlers, Bulky in size, more chance of roll-over, boring driving experience, etc. And like trucks are any different . Im not bashing all the truck guys out there, but people need to lay off on bashing SUV's. I think an SUV's serves me a purpose, having room for 7 passengers, able to carry a cargo and NOT having to worry about it getting wet or stolen, more comfortable than a truck, etc.

What do you think?
I find SUV's to be quite functional. How else can you roll on 22 inch chrome spinners?

I saw an Odyssey with 17 inch chrome wheels on the freeway. It didn't look good. That guy should have bought an SUV.
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:20 PM
Burn some dust here

Yep....I got rid of an AMG for one!!!!

I miss it every damn day of my life
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
I hate the fact if i do get a used pathfinder i'll lumped into that category....cause im not working ill be driving along in an empty SUV...but when there is gear is in there...

But you're using it for your gear
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Some people have legitimate reasons why they need an SUV.

I find that at least 1/2 the people with SUV's don't need them (like my aunt, my sister, etc etc).
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:55 PM

I agree. Why would you care what someone else thinks of you?
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:57 PM
The Third Ball

I agree. Why would you care what someone else thinks of you?
I dont care. I'm just saying when I'm carrying gear I'm just another douche on the road with a big SUV...the type of dude i bitched about for years.

But there are no good wagons that i can afford, that I would actually want to drive.
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:09 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

I HATE women drivers talking on cell phones

.. oh my bad .. this is about SUVs .. hrmm .. ok make that: I HATE women drivers in SUVs talking on cell phones
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:13 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
reality is, SUV gas mileage isn't as bad as people suggest, and passenger car mileage isn't as good as most suggest. Sure there are some SUV's that get 10 MPG and some cars that getr 30+, but they aren't common
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CLpower
reality is, SUV gas mileage isn't as bad as people suggest, and passenger car mileage isn't as good as most suggest. Sure there are some SUV's that get 10 MPG and some cars that getr 30+, but they aren't common

What does the rod get?
Old 10-03-2005 | 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

They are usefull for me. Cause I use them. Even off road my 94 Explorer.
Old 10-03-2005 | 07:05 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Volvo Cross Country or Audi Allroad is the perfect combo, AWD+room+ground clearence= but they are too much money.
Old 10-03-2005 | 07:08 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by MotionEffects
Volvo Cross Country or Audi Allroad is the perfect combo, AWD+room+ground clearence= but they are too much money.
bingo I was starting to look at audi allroads with 6spd....too much money...even used. 01's command 30g

edit: plus i would return to the problems of trying to keep a nice car in la. which ive given up on for the time being.
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:21 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
What does the rod get?

suprisisingly, last long trip in it we got about 12
Old 10-04-2005 | 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I will never not have an SUV in my stable, but then again I use it.

Rock climbing and mountain biking, I need the room for 1-4 passengers and gear and prefer not to have our climbing/camping gear open to the elements (sunlight is bad for nylon and for climbing either your rope or packs get the sun)

Pulling the boat (and a crap load of luggage since we stay a month at a time) from my lake house to and from home and my car to the track.

Several times a year I load up with 7 people and it is nice to have 1 vehicle.

Although we don't get bad weather more than 4-5 times a year, nice to be able to go when I need to, tend to cart my neighbors to work that can't get out.

I tend to do lots of woodworking and home improvement projects, nice to not pay for delivery.

Although I would drive an SUV daily if I had to, I am glad I don't have to but would have to change much of my lifestyle without one, a truck would cover most of the areas, but a truck based SUV and a trailer will do so many things.

Quick Reply: Do you find SUV pointless?