Do use a car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Do use a car cover?

So, I use a car cover, when my car is washed I usually cover it at night and at work during the day for about a week. Then I finally leave it exposed full time for a few more days until it's time to wash again.

Well, some how my wife never knew this, and is now giving me shit saying it's basically like double parking and that I look like a complete douche.

Am I nuts? Covering it gives me a few extra days of dust free cleanness. It cuts back on all the dust at my office and the salt dew I get at my apartment since I am close to the beach.

but now i'm thinking, I don't ever see other people doing this? Am I to anal? I've got the cover on/off time down to about 30 seconds so it's not like I spend a lot of time doing it.

Anyone else do this?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell, I cover one of my cars when it's INSIDE the garage to keep the dust off of it! So, I can relate!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 990 Likes on 532 Posts
I'll be doing it here with my new car. Mostly for the daytime, when the sun is brutal (100 degree heat with high humidity).
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,430 Posts
I use those Maguire's spray stuff... spray and wipe... like every other day and I can go a long long time before washing... BUT that's only if I spray and wipe at least every other day... If I start to slack... and go 3+ days? Then I gotta wash.

but as for covering? I don't think it's a big deal... it's YOUR car, and just shows that you care and kinda lazy...

There was a guy at my gym that would cover his car during his 1 hour workout.... we used to laugh at that... he doesn't do it anymore.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess its just as pretentious as QD'ing my car about every 3rd day, though much more obvious.

I don't see anything wrong with it I guess. I'm sure you've got it down so it doesnt take you that long to do.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by Tripp11
Hell, I cover one of my cars when it's INSIDE the garage to keep the dust off of it! So, I can relate!

ya, my suburban sits under a cover full time in a garage
Old 04-17-2008, 04:48 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by is300eater
I use those Maguire's spray stuff... spray and wipe... like every other day and I can go a long long time before washing... BUT that's only if I spray and wipe at least every other day... If I start to slack... and go 3+ days? Then I gotta wash.

but as for covering? I don't think it's a big deal... it's YOUR car, and just shows that you care and kinda lazy...

There was a guy at my gym that would cover his car during his 1 hour workout.... we used to laugh at that... he doesn't do it anymore.

ya, my car is only covered if it's going to sit for 7-8 hours +

And it's a great excuse to have other people drive to lunch at work
Old 04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
G
Bitten.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am the same way with the Viper. Never thought about it like your wife did . . .
Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Im not anal about my cars. I bought the car so it can serve me, not the other way around. Obviously i do maintenance so that the car is able to what its intended to but other then that, i dont baby it. Covering my daily driver? seems kinda pompous to me...
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Problem with car covers is both the cover and the car have to be completely clean and dirt free. If there is even a most minute dirt particle in either/or, you can scratch/mar the paint.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by ATXCLS
I am the same way with the Viper. Never thought about it like your wife did . . .

seriously, neither did I. It all started because this cat likes to sleep and piss on my car cover and I snapped a pick of it today and sent it to my wife..............the first thing was "YOU COVER YOUR CAR NIGHTLY? WHAT A DOUCHE"

The cover also gives this cat something to sleep on and some protection to my hood. Fucker sleeps on my car everyday. I don't know why he's been doing it for MONTHS. There are like 100 other cars around me, but he picks my car whether it's covered or not.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by FutureBagdA4
Problem with car covers is both the cover and the car have to be completely clean and dirt free. If there is even a most minute dirt particle in either/or, you can scratch/mar the paint.

You can only get so anal. Hence why after a few days I finally start leaving the cover off. Anything and everything will "mar" your paint. You can't wash your car w/o marring your paint (my suburban has never seen actual water).
Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys are all nuts (with a few exceptions, notably stangg)

I mean, I can see this being done with a Ferrari, but a daily driver with nearly 40,000 miles on it, in a state where it never rains? WTF?

It's not that I'm saying it's *wrong*. I'm just saying, it's overkill.

In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the "cat" who peed on your car cover was actually one of our neighbors proclaiming your douchebaggery for all the world to see.

Love you, baby.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
teh Senior Instigator

jealous
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
So, I use a car cover, when my car is washed I usually cover it at night and at work during the day for about a week. Then I finally leave it exposed full time for a few more days until it's time to wash again.

Well, some how my wife never knew this, and is now giving me shit saying it's basically like double parking and that I look like a complete douche.

Am I nuts? Covering it gives me a few extra days of dust free cleanness. It cuts back on all the dust at my office and the salt dew I get at my apartment since I am close to the beach.

but now i'm thinking, I don't ever see other people doing this? Am I to anal? I've got the cover on/off time down to about 30 seconds so it's not like I spend a lot of time doing it.

Anyone else do this?
No, I don't think you're "nuts" at all. You obviously care for your vehicles and you seem to be someone who accepts his own responsibilities. If I'm not mistaken, you are also in the automotive industry and are obviously an automotive enthusiast. If a car cover provides you with extra security and allows for easier maintenance then by all means use one.

All of my cars reside under a cover, including my Accord and pickup.

Terry
Old 04-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Caliadria
You guys are all nuts (with a few exceptions, notably stangg)

I mean, I can see this being done with a Ferrari, but a daily driver with nearly 40,000 miles on it, in a state where it never rains? WTF?

It's not that I'm saying it's *wrong*. I'm just saying, it's overkill.

In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the "cat" who peed on your car cover was actually one of our neighbors proclaiming your douchebaggery for all the world to see.

Love you, baby.
Hi Calliadria

Goat is alive and well.

Terry
Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, my car gets covered

Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by teranfon
Hi Calliadria

Goat is alive and well.

Terry

She'll be stoked to hear, i've been keeping her updated on progress. Speaking of that, it's been a few months since we've heard anything!!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Yeah, my car gets covered

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<--- never seen anything like that (only seen snow fall 2x's)

get rid of that 4x4 lift, your f'ing tires have snow ON TOP of them
Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

She'll be stoked to hear, i've been keeping her updated on progress. Speaking of that, it's been a few months since we've heard anything!!
My goat gets covered as well, but for different reasons than why you cover yours..................... Mine gets cold.

Terry
Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
yeah, I did the same thing...car parked in garage and covered. I just hate the dust build up. But I got rid of the car cover and now just wash it weekly.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Your wife equates covering a car to double parking
Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by AMGala
Your wife equates covering a car to double parking

ya, trust me, I tried to express how dumb I thought that comparison was.....but you know woman and being rational
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I don't think you're doing anything wrong by covering it for the first week after a wash. In fact, putting the cover on when the car is dirty could make it worse and scratch the paint from what I've heard. And if the car is dirty and you put the cover on, you gotta make it a habit to clean the car cover regularly otherwise you'll start putting tiny tiny scratches in the paint and over time it'll get worse and worse IMO. Then again you are the expert detailer so go ahead and prove me wrong.

I'm thinking about buying a car cover and doing it when we get our new ride, whether I drive it to work or it sits in the garage.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
It did kinda come off as douchey to me, even though I kinda wanna do it. In a public parking lot yeah, it's almost asking for it.

Not that I am, but put yourself in a thief/vandal's shoes. Which car is gonna be your main target, that Accord with the bird shit all over it, the dirty ass Geo Metro, an anonymous looking van or that car sitting under that cover?

In my own garage I'd do it. Or if it sits for a really long time, I'd put a cover over it outside my house or something.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Sly

www.calcarcover.com Only car covers i've ever used. They've done a bunch of custom ones for our classics too.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Sly

www.calcarcover.com Only car covers i've ever used. They've done a bunch of custom ones for our classics too.
Thanks dude, it's been bookmarked. I've got two more months to save up extra money before our car gets here so that means more toys.

Was my statement correct about putting on a car cover when the car is dirty can be harmful to the paint?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
teh Senior Instigator

yes, if the car is really dusty, I won't cover it.

But, so many things will mar your paint that you can't avoid it. Washing your car with any sort of towel (microfiber, etc) is going to mar your paint. Someone rubbing a fiber on your car will mar your paint, on and on and on. Hell, a good wind will mar your paint.

But will any of them really be enough to notice it at all? not really.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I keep my car covered everyday except weekends. I take the cover off to wash & wax it, but that's pretty much it. I thought I was crazy doing that and I thought I was the only one, but apparently not.......Your a car guy & your wife just has to realize that.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

yes, if the car is really dusty, I won't cover it.

But, so many things will mar your paint that you can't avoid it. Washing your car with any sort of towel (microfiber, etc) is going to mar your paint. Someone rubbing a fiber on your car will mar your paint, on and on and on. Hell, a good wind will mar your paint.

But will any of them really be enough to notice it at all? not really.
Why do you think I have a light colored car

While marring your paint is ultimately unstoppable, it can be avoided. There are ways to have a mar-free wash, they just require much more time and persistence. Ultimately, a car cover will increase the marring one receives over time. Just have to ask yourself which is more important; cleanliness, or a less-swirled paint. You can see because of my color which option I have the luxury of choosing, but others with darker colors are not so lucky...

Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 AM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
^ Shameless plug, but it looks nice.

I'm gonna be lucky enough to have my car in a garage for the next two or three years, so I won't need a cover. I think they're banned in our neighborhood though by the homeowners association anyways.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TommySalami
I think they're banned in our neighborhood though by the homeowners association anyways.

And it's not a shameless plug, merely showing the cleanliness of my non-car-covered non-garaged vehicle
Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by FutureBagdA4
Why do you think I have a light colored car

While marring your paint is ultimately unstoppable, it can be avoided. There are ways to have a mar-free wash, they just require much more time and persistence. Ultimately, a car cover will increase the marring one receives over time. Just have to ask yourself which is more important; cleanliness, or a less-swirled paint. You can see because of my color which option I have the luxury of choosing, but others with darker colors are not so lucky...

FYI, I use to detail cars for a living. There isn't much I don't know.

Mar-Free washes can not be avoided unless you simply never touch the car. They can be reduced, but anytime something comes in contact you are going to mar the paint slightly. You can think differently, but that's simply reality.

btw, is that your benz? If so I work with a guy that knows you. His names Ray, has a C-Class almost the same color. Also has an old supra.

And Dark colors are the only way to go This thing has never seen water

Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Nope, no car covers for me...probably because I'm too lazy to deal with it .
Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Where do you store the cover when youre done?

I use a cover, but its used for shows. I wash it, detail it and cover.

Doing it daily seems like a waste. If I saw that I wouldnt think you were a douche, I would think youre anal retentive.

Sup Cali!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Scott, the way you're doing it is fine... yeah, a little anal, but that's ok...

We have a guy here at work that covers his stock Hyundai Sonata That's a little worrysome... I thought there was something good under the cover, so I asked around to find out who's it was and what was under the cover... big disappointment...
Old 04-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my cl sits in the garage during the winter months while I drive my explorer and its covered in the garage. Never covered during the summer months though.

My biggest questions is how is it that your WIFE didn't know you cover you car at night?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
The cover would cost more then my car....

Hi Adrienne.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I agree with the wife.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i am one of those that puts the cover on when the car is in the garage... but that is only because the car gets driven on the weekends and i want to keep the dust off of it...

Quick Reply: Do use a car cover?