Disappointed with the Infiniti EX35

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointed with the Infiniti EX35

I went to the Infiniti dealer and looked at the EX35, I came there with high hopes and left really disappointed because this SUV looks small, even shorter than my TSX.
There was an RDX parked there too at the Infiniti dealer probably looking at an Infiniti as well. The interior of the EX35 though is a lot nicer than the RDX though and the EX35 is made in Japan vs. the Ohio-made RDX.

Anyways, the RDX looks a lot bigger than the EX35. I looked and sat in the rearseat and there is barely any legroom there in the EX35 and I'm only 5'10.

Well, for me I guess it's onto look at the 09 Nissan Murano or 08 Nissan Rogue as an SUV to compliment or replace my TSX.

The Infiniti salesguy told me if the EX35 is too small, which it is, a new 2009 redesigned FX is coming in the summer of this year.

I got frustrated driving the TSX in 5 inches of snow and ice last time with new tires. I don't really want to get snow tires on the TSX either.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
And you will get frustrated from the rest of the 360 days out of the year when its dry to have fun in a car.

Anyone know if the new FX will get a 3rd row?
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I saw an EX35 in traffic and thought it looked like a shrunk FX with a slight retard chromosome. I don't like it.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, it was being displayed at the mall around christmas time....Truely a very ugly car...inside and out.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Nope, not even the guys over at the FX forums know for sure... it's speculation tho... When's the Detroit Show? cuz that's when it's suppose to be unveiled

if it's done right... like the X5 which to me... doesn't even look like it can have a 3rd row, that would be good... but if they stretch it out like the Q7, then I don't think I'll like it... It'd be more a SUV than a CUV...

Last edited by is300eater; 01-12-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I saw one the other day and feel the same way. I'm trying to decide which car I'll be getting for my wife after her X3 lease is up, I don't think the EX will be something we would be considering anymore. It doesn't look like an SUV, it looks like a tall wagon. The rear seat room is especially disappointing. I think there's more rear seat room in the G35 4 door. Overall after all that excitement when hearing about it, it's become a big letdown. I give it
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
I've heard rumors of the nex gen having a 3rd row, but I doubt it's going to happen. The FX is known to being too sporty for something like that. It will lose customers if they did that. I see an Infiniti version of a Pathfinder to fill in the gap of a midsize 3rd row SUV before the next gen FX having a 3rd row, but you didn't hear it fom me!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Hmm... this is rather disappointing, as I also had high hopes for the EX35.

Now, please do NOT go with the new Murano - to me, that thing is UGLY! I think they have really ruined it with the "new" design. What is wrong with that front grill? You think the CRV front grill is bad? Look at the 2009 Murano front grill! And those rear lights are really bad too.... they look like a cheapo version of the EX35/FX.... Ugh! The current Murano is much better looking, IMHO!

I would actually wait for the new Audi A4 Avant. Or just get the RDX....

Isn't it funny that the RDX seems more and more attractive every time another manufacturer comes up with a new vehicle in the same class? LOL
Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I saw an EX35 in traffic and thought it looked like a shrunk FX with a slight retard chromosome. I don't like it.

same thoughts exactly... to me it also looked like a station wagon G35

any pics of the new FX?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by SHYUperman

any pics of the new FX?
I didn't realize that the Detroit Show was so early... It starts tomorrow and on their site... there are some new cars featured... but I didn't see the next FX. I had heard that it's suppose to be unveiled at THIS show, but I have a feeling they might be withdrawing so to NOT hurt the sales of the EX... Perhaps they'll unveil it at another show later in the year
Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by is300eater
I didn't realize that the Detroit Show was so early... It starts tomorrow and on their site... there are some new cars featured... but I didn't see the next FX. I had heard that it's suppose to be unveiled at THIS show, but I have a feeling they might be withdrawing so to NOT hurt the sales of the EX... Perhaps they'll unveil it at another show later in the year
How about any word on them showing the next gen TSX and TL?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
small light cars with tiny tires actually do pretty well in the snow. You simply need good snow tires. Big suv's arent your solution.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
it looks like ass.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:04 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
it looks like ass.
to the nth degree.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Yeah, it was being displayed at the mall around christmas time....Truely a very ugly car...inside and out.
to each his own...i guess

i'm not too fond of the exterior but interior is bada$$

and ppl complaining about the size...the EX was meant to be small...any bigger it would be same size as the FX...wats the point in having two suvs the same size?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like SUVs as a whole, this one is no exception.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower

and ppl complaining about the size...the EX was meant to be small...any bigger it would be same size as the FX...wats the point in having two suvs the same size?
I don't know what people were expecting either. You could tell from the initial pics it was going to be tight in there.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,921 Likes on 5,540 Posts
I had no idea there was even an EX35...

just checked some pics, yeah. a mule's ass looks better.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. that the EX35 is an ugly car. the sketches and first set of pics looks great, actually. but real-life pictures have been really disappointing.

2. MaximaPower that the interior, though, is gorgeous.

3. that the car's supposed to be small.

4. +1 for anticipating the new FX. i've said this before, but the current FX is still badass whenever i see one on road.

is is300eater that the FX can still look nice if it's like the X5 instead of stretched out like the Q7. the Q7 is one of my favorite SUVs on the road, but i'd like the FX to keep its sporty look instead of a people-mover look.

5. with ostrich that suddenly, the RDX doesn't look that bad after all. but that's not saying much, really, because the RDX still doesn't look good.

we'll see what happens when the new X3 comes out and a possible Q5 and new lexus CUV.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I got frustrated driving the TSX in 5 inches of snow and ice last time with new tires. I don't really want to get snow tires on the TSX either.
If you don't use snow tires, you can't truly be frustrated with the car's performance in winter; blame the owner who won't do whatever he can to help the car get through those icy, snowy, winter days. And that doesn't mean buying $49 snow tires at Costco, it means investing in some really decent snows....only then can you make an honest judgement.

Originally Posted by leedogg
small light cars with tiny tires actually do pretty well in the snow. You simply need good snow tires. Big suv's arent your solution.

An SUV certainly won't solve your traction issues in snow or ice. Tires are what help keep you planted.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I doubt the FX is going to get a 3rd row, but would like to see it get a bit larger for cargo room purposes and overall interior room.

Just not Q7 large, which I've said before think looks like a beached whale...especially in white.

Have no doubt though it will remain sport oriented.

And to those saying the EX is an SUV, its not an SUV...its like a barely lifted wagon. Not a fan of the exterior, but the interior is one of the nicest in its class (even though tight rear seat legroom).
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

every infiniti interior looks exactly the same to me, nice, but exterior is still ass!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
If you don't use snow tires, you can't truly be frustrated with the car's performance in winter; blame the owner who won't do whatever he can to help the car get through those icy, snowy, winter days. And that doesn't mean buying $49 snow tires at Costco, it means investing in some really decent snows....only then can you make an honest judgement.

An SUV certainly won't solve your traction issues in snow or ice. Tires are what help keep you planted.
I don't want to get snow tires because it only snows like 2-3 months only in Chicagoland and the rest of the time it's just rain. Anyways, it snowed 8 inches a month ago around here and the TSX was too low to clear the driveway, so I had to call in sick to work. I do think that SUV's have their purpose if snow is too high like that for better ground clearance than a car.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by synth19
every infiniti interior looks exactly the same to me, nice, but exterior is still ass!!!
only interiors that look the same are the G and the EX.....so that's not "every infiniti"
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 AM
RIP Dime...

I don't want to get snow tires because it only snows like 2-3 months only in Chicagoland and the rest of the time it's just rain. Anyways, it snowed 8 inches a month ago around here and the TSX was too low to clear the driveway, so I had to call in sick to work. I do think that SUV's have their purpose if snow is too high like that for better ground clearance than a car.
I have snow tires on my TL... i put them on in early november and take them off at the beginning of April. I think it's important to have snow tires here for solid traction in winter.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

only interiors that look the same are the G and the EX.....so that's not "every infiniti"

^LOL! I disagree..... see below....

FX:

G37:

G Sedan:

Infiniti M:

Infiniti QX:

Infiniti EX:

I like the interiors , but they all look the freakin same IMHO (except for the QX):
Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh man, I know that feeling. 5-6 years ago when I had my CL-S, a co-worker picked me up in her Jeep because I couldn't get the CL out of the driveway, I would have called in sick, but I was on my last sick day!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Why not just snowblow the driveway before going to work

I dont do the whole drive way but enough to get out. My mom is 60 and she has no issues in her TSX...

Im just a SUV hater and rather not see another on the road.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 01-15-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't want to get snow tires because it only snows like 2-3 months only in Chicagoland and the rest of the time it's just rain. Anyways, it snowed 8 inches a month ago around here and the TSX was too low to clear the driveway, so I had to call in sick to work.
Okay, then really --- how many times out of that 3 month period is the snow ever really too deep for the car to clear? It's not like you get 8 inches of snow every day. If you don't live in a condo, the driveway part is easy: shovel it and you'll have no problem getting out. Aside from that, I've never really driven on public streets (aside from small neighbourhood roads that are cleared last) where the snow was so deep that a regular sedan -- not lowered -- couldn't pass through.

Whatever vehicle you choose is your decision, as is your reasoning for it, but I'm just pointing out the obvious here.... Everything you've mentioned is easily solvable, minus a new car.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

^ In my particular situation, I live in a coldesac so when the city plows the streets, they PILE up the snow in front of my driveway as it goes around the angle of the street. It really pisses me off... but when I had to ask for someone to pick me up, it was around 6:30 am and the city didn't come by yet and we had a massive snowstorm. This was an isolated event, havent had problems getting out the driveway since...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Okay, then really --- how many times out of that 3 month period is the snow ever really too deep for the car to clear? It's not like you get 8 inches of snow every day. If you don't live in a condo, the driveway part is easy: shovel it and you'll have no problem getting out. Aside from that, I've never really driven on public streets (aside from small neighbourhood roads that are cleared last) where the snow was so deep that a regular sedan -- not lowered -- couldn't pass through.

Whatever vehicle you choose is your decision, as is your reasoning for it, but I'm just pointing out the obvious here.... Everything you've mentioned is easily solvable, minus a new car.
well i do have to leave for work at 4:30am in the morning so I do shovel or would have to get up early to shovel to do it, which i have, but the neighborhood i'm in the side streets the plows don't plow it until after 8am. so, that time it was 8 inches i had to leave at 4:30am and couldn't so I did call into work explaining i could take a sick day due to the bad weather, but then eventually after all of the plowing was done, i did get into work later. i do live in the boonies, which explains my situation. my neighbors all have suv's, even if they're old.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I shoot people

<------ am thankful we don't have that problem out here... and honestly? I'm quite certain my FX would only handle so much in snowy conditions (plus, I lowered it)
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Race Director

anyways though, has anyone driven the EX35? i was rethinking the situation that maybe the seats were all the way back, which made the back seats really small. still though, i think the EX35 was too hyped and it really was disappointing. i would much rather get a G35x instead.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I shoot people

I'm not sure if I like this... Now, I won't feel so bad when it comes out...
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Everyday Joe

^^^ VERY Cool!!! I like it.

As for the comment that all Infiniti interiors are the same....I don't see it at all. Are they similar? Sure, but they're made by the same company. Do you expect them to all be different, just for the sake of being different?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Race Director

wait that's the redesigned FX? that's not a redesign, but just a refresh.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

wait that's the redesigned FX? that's not a redesign, but just a refresh.
looks like a redesign....kinda liike the new G looking similar to old G

but that FX doesn't look any bigger than the current one
Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
looks like a redesign....kinda liike the new G looking similar to old G

but that FX doesn't look any bigger than the current one
It looks close in height. I can't tell if it's the angle of the picture or not, but the wheelbase in the first pic looks much longer than the current gen.

front looks very "hyundai" to me...which isn't bad considering they could have done much worse and copied the MDX front end. If this is the next gen, i'm glad to see they didn't water it down and go conservative with the design.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
It looks close in height. I can't tell if it's the angle of the picture or not, but the wheelbase in the first pic looks much longer than the current gen.

front looks very "hyundai" to me...which isn't bad considering they could have done much worse and copied the MDX front end. If this is the next gen, i'm glad to see they didn't water it down and go conservative with the design.
that would be cool if the wheel base is wider, but I think it's the headlights being so wide apart that makes the car look wider, thus... the wider wheel base look(?)
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by is300eater
that would be cool if the wheel base is wider, but I think it's the headlights being so wide apart that makes the car look wider, thus... the wider wheel base look(?)
i'm not talking about wider, i'm talking about longer wheelbase between the front and rear wheels. It looks slightly longer than the current version.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with the Infiniti EX35