Defense against keying

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defense against keying

I posted a somewhat similar topic in the wax/wash thread concerning protection against road debris, but I am also curious whether or not enough waxing/zainoing can give a good layer of protection against a key job. I know that if the person tries hard enough they can get into the paint...but can 10 layers or more of zaino or other sealents minimize damage? AHHHhhhh...it would suck so bad if my NBP got keyed...maybe I should install cameras inside the car for survelliance puroposes....
Old 09-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Advanced

i doubt it. a key job would probably go right through the wax and into the paint.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

Best defense is to not drive like a jerk...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Electronic shock security system would be nice
Old 09-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can wax 10,000 times in a row if you want, but the "layer" that builds up won't be any thicker than after the first or second waxing. Waxes and similar products don't work like 99% of the public thinks they do. They essentially fill in the microscopic pits and valleys, and that's about it, contrary to lots of advertising hype. (That doesn't mean they're not worth applying).
Old 09-24-2004, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

ok...

has anyone that has been a victim of a key job done something to piss somebody off?? for example...cutting someone off, bad parking job, make fun of their non-tl cars, etc??? I am just really afraid of a random act of keying...don't mind as much if i deserve it or had it coming...all you victims who got your cars keyed please speak up!
Old 09-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my car keyed many times just because it was nicer than everyone elses around -- IE when I had a Trans Am in High school, it was keyed numerous times. I didn't drive like a jerk, but the car stuck out (red - flashy, etc).

One of the reasons I bought the TL is because its very nice, but also not flashy -- inconspicuous.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GreenDreams
ok...

has anyone that has been a victim of a key job done something to piss somebody off?? for example...cutting someone off, bad parking job, make fun of their non-tl cars, etc??? I am just really afraid of a random act of keying...don't mind as much if i deserve it or had it coming...all you victims who got your cars keyed please speak up!
I was at the Dutchess County Fair in Rhinebeck NY and got keyed real bad. They keyed every car in my line, about 20 of them. It was in a grassy unlit field hidden by huge pinr trees. Easy to execute and not be seen

Right down the whole driver side
Old 09-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rodney
I was at the Dutchess County Fair in Rhinebeck NY and got keyed real bad. They keyed every car in my line, about 20 of them. It was in a grassy unlit field hidden by huge pinr trees. Easy to execute and not be seen

Right down the whole driver side
Rod,

I'm in the same mood as you...I only had my car for 2 weeks.....Some mofo key my driver side rear door, about a foot long.....Are you going to the detailing workshop this weekend in LI?? Most likely, I'll bring it to a shop for a pro to fix it. Still pissed off.....
Old 09-24-2004, 04:32 PM
I6

When I had my 2k1 Maxima, it got keyed several times right outside my house.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:14 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my 'yellow beast' got keyed. i live in an area where theres a bunch of stupid kids who have nothing else to do. my car stuck out like a soar thumb i must admit. but little weazels who had crappy cars have no right to key mine just cause it was yellow and fixed up.... yes it was pure rice. so rice that chinese people (like me) tried to eat it for dinner

just like jdb8805, i got the TL cause its looks nice and its not as flashy and so much of an attention getter. its nice to be able to drive by a cop and mix in with the crowd.

i guess thats the crap i used to get for having a yellow accord that wasnt a taxi cab
Old 09-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Instructor

my accord got keyed on the hood. it was like 2 feet long but not that deep. my friend had this scratch remover from "as seen on tv" and i used it. suprisingly it work really well.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:17 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Back in High School (which was quite a while ago, by the way), I got my car keyed once. At the same time, all four of my tires were slashed. I didn't even do anything wrong!

I had broken up with my girlfriend a month or so earlier, and she had gotten a new boyfriend. Unfortunately (I guess), the breakup was amicable, and my ex-girlfriend and I were still friends, although we didn't hang out or anything. Her new hick boyfriend, however, couldn't figure out why we didn't hate each other, since he hated all of his ex-girlfriends, so I think he assumed there must still be something between us (believe me, there wasn't). He got jealous, and decided to take it out on my car.

The really sad part was that, even though he bragged about the act several times, there were no witnesses, so the police wouldn't touch the case.

I would think that more "key jobs" happen because of a relationship break-up, than "bad driving," but maybe my experience has tainted my thought process.

MODERATOR EDIT: Moving this generic thread to Cars & Bikes. -XPDitor
Old 09-25-2004, 01:50 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
just like jdb8805, i got the TL cause its looks nice and its not as flashy and so much of an attention getter. its nice to be able to drive by a cop and mix in with the crowd.

A co-worker had her 2004 Toyota Camry 'keyed'. No cars seem to immune. I worry about my 3 week old BMW ZHP 330i, ugh!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

my 98 TL's trunk got keyed while i was in class... 2 years ago in college... just because i hung around a certain group of people... bastards...

My insurance covered it as vandalism so i got it fixed at a body shop...
Old 09-28-2004, 12:40 PM
All Hail the Chief

Originally Posted by JT3
The really sad part was that, even though he bragged about the act several times, there were no witnesses, so the police wouldn't touch the case.
That's when you get your crew together, drive by his house at 3am, egg the $hit out of his house, bash his mailbox with a bat, slash all the car tires parked in front of his house, and light a flaming bag of dog $hit and throw it in his yard. Then, the next time you see him after school, proceed to walk up to the guy and start swinging, all the while your crew is behind you with baseball bats.

You were in H.S., probably still under 18 I assume? It would have all been juvee.

I took a temp job last year at a factory while I was between jobs in my field. Talk about haters! Luckily I was only there for 3 months and was not keyed. I think it was only a matter of time before it happened though. Some people hate that which they cannot attain. I say to hell with them all!