Costco gas - I don't like it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Sometimes its cheaper for a reason. I always used 1 chevron gas station for my car. its like 4 miles away from my house but its worth it. theres actually a closer chevron to my house, but the one that i always get, i always notice the added horsepower that comes with it.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Coscto, I hear if you cut down your protein intake your gas doesn't smell so bad.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Costco premium here, works the same as the brand name
Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyz
^^ Nope, this is not true.

The different brands have different formulations, additives, and refining quality. It's your choice where you spend you money. I prefer to use only "Top Tier" stations: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html There are plenty to choose from.

Please, please, please tell me you are not using that propaganda website for any information. It is owned by GM and paid for by the large fuel companies. That would be like asking Sunoco if Sunoco gas is better then Costco gas... then linking to the information on Sunoco's website as an independent source...
The following 3 users liked this post by juniorbean:
05TLdcc (11-04-2013), civicdrivr (11-05-2013), nj2pa2nc (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The OP is nuts.....just like dan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
05TLdcc (11-04-2013), Mr. Maker (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by MySoCalLife
Sometimes its cheaper for a reason. I always used 1 chevron gas station for my car. its like 4 miles away from my house but its worth it. theres actually a closer chevron to my house, but the one that i always get, i always notice the added horsepower that comes with it.
Noticeable?

Chevron giving you +20 more ponies per tank?

Did the vtec sticker give you added horsepower as well?
nj2pa2nc (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Please, please, please tell me you are not using that propaganda website for any information. It is owned by GM and paid for by the large fuel companies. That would be like asking Sunoco if Sunoco gas is better then Costco gas... then linking to the information on Sunoco's website as an independent source...
Exactly. It's all marketing. Whoever wants to pay the marketing fee gets their name put up on the site.

Back in 2007, Exxon and Mobil didn't pay the Top Tier listing fee.
Costco gas - I don't like it.-ynmtrah.jpg

But a few years later, they did (screenshot from 2012)
Costco gas - I don't like it.-xisjobi.jpg

If you look at the current list, you'll see that BP and Scheirl Oil have been added while Rebel Oil and Severson Oil have been removed.

Costco gas - I don't like it.-wurfxfm.jpg

Maybe Rebel Oil and Severson Oil didn't see any noticeable increase in fuel sales and figured the listing fee wasn't worth it?
juniorbean (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by MySoCalLife
Dude, I swear when I debadged my mazdaspeed3 emblem in the back, I noticed a slightly increase in boost.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Exactly. It's all marketing. Whoever wants to pay the marketing fee gets their name put up on the site.

If you look at the current list, you'll see that BP and Scheirl Oil have been added while Rebel Oil and Severson Oil have been removed.

Maybe Rebel Oil and Severson Oil didn't see any noticeable increase in fuel sales and figured the listing fee wasn't worth it?
Interesting and I'm sure you're correct in your assumption. Kind of reminds me of the FDA and most other government run organizations.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Dude, I swear when I debadged my mazdaspeed3 emblem in the back, I noticed a slightly increase in boost.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Orly? then changing your shift knob must've for you
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Noticeable?

Chevron giving you +20 more ponies per tank?

Did the vtec sticker give you added horsepower as well?
YUP
Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Great follow-up to mine and thanks for posting

It always amazes me when I see people quoting that site as a reference. I'm guessing it works b/c most have zero idea what that site is truly about...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The OP is nuts.....just like dan.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I use Wawa gas.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
I use Wawa gas.
used wawa gas when I lived in NJ and when I traveled from NC to NJ and back. Wish there was wawa's in NC.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
I use Wawa gas.
their coffee is like crack. I dont know what it is, but it's probably the best coffee I've ever had.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
So are there any gas stations we should be avoiding? Or more specifically, choosing?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 PM
_

Old 03-29-2014, 03:26 PM
_

Originally Posted by Acura-OC
Mostly every retailer sales same gas from same wholesaler. Any additives are added during local deliveries. Costco gas is the same but it is without V-Pover, Techron, and whatever else that is been added during local distribution.
Originally Posted by dannyz
^^ Nope, this is not true.

The different brands have different formulations, additives, and refining quality. It's your choice where you spend you money. I prefer to use only "Top Tier" stations: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html There are plenty to choose from.
Originally Posted by juniorbean

Look who's Top Tier now? Costco. Guess they decided it was worth the marketing expense? The same goes for SuperAmerica... whoever they are.

Costco gas - I don't like it.-qmzdscz.jpg
Costco (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
So are there any gas stations we should be avoiding? Or more specifically, choosing?
^

Hello? Anyone moderating?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

I looked into the detergents after I bought the TL and Shell and Chevron are what I came up with. They have good but very different detergents in their cleaning mechanisms. Shell looked to have good cleaning in the combustion chamber and possibly post combustion in the PCV and intake tract. Chevron also looked good in all areas with what might be the best fuel system cleaner. I figured by alternating stations from time to time I should get the best of all worlds and at 113,000 miles my intake tract, intake bowl area, and combustion chambers were unbelievably clean.

All of my research died with my old computer so I've been meaning to look into it again for my own knowledge and to see if anything has changed which i doubt it has. I don't know the people I used to know so unfortunately I'll have to sift through the Google garbage.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Costco (03-29-2014), Undying Dreams (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 PM
_

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I looked into the detergents after I bought the TL and Shell and Chevron are what I came up with. They have good but very different detergents in their cleaning mechanisms. Shell looked to have good cleaning in the combustion chamber and possibly post combustion in the PCV and intake tract. Chevron also looked good in all areas with what might be the best fuel system cleaner.
They didn't test Chevron, but Shell, Exxon, and BP were all shown to have high levels of cleaning detergents per 100 mL of fuel.

Costco gas - I don't like it.-cvlwkkh.jpgCostco gas - I don't like it.-ey3vgth.jpg

Note that Exxon and BP at one point were not on the Top Tier list even though their fuels are shown to have high levels of cleaning detergents. Why?

To be able to advertise the Top Tier rating, a gasoline marketer has to promise the automakers in writing that every gallon it sells in the USA has a strong enough additive package to keep an engine free of deposits and that dreaded gunk.

Not all big names have signed on, while some obscure gasoline marketers have, as a way to show they're selling high-quality gasoline.

Complicating things, some respected brands not on the Top Tier list claim to exceed the requirements. They just don't think auto companies should tell them how to make or market their fuels.

ExxonMobil, for instance, wants "a more collaborative approach," says spokeswoman Prem Nair. Auto and oil companies should "work cooperatively to determine the optimal mix of vehicle hardware and fuel standards," she says. Exxon and Mobil aren't Top Tier brands, though Nair says they surpass that standard.

Ford Motor, not in the Top Tier coalition, says right on its gasoline caps, "Ford recommends BP," not a Top Tier brand. "Their fuel meets or exceeds what our vehicles require. We know their products" from collaborating on lubricant and fuel research,
says Ford spokesman Said Deep.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...gas-usat_N.htm
A lot of it is marketing.
RPhilMan1 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
^

nope , but i avoid Arco.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,472 Likes on 929 Posts
I love V-Power (Shell's 93 octane)! That's one reason I only fill up at Shell.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I would avoid Lukoil like the plague... they always cost more, have crappy fuel, and depending on your politics, they're Russian owned and I've seen a lot of people call for boycotts of Russian business. I also heard from a few people their gas was watered down/caused knock. It's a last resort for me.

Also I see Costco paid up I guess, they're listed as "Top Tier" now. I'd probably use it if it was closer to me, I've been running Sam's Club 93 the last few years with zero issues, no issues with their 87 in my wife's car either.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
nope , but i avoid Arco.
I don't know anyone who fills up at Arco.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 AM
_

Originally Posted by princelybug
I don't know anyone who fills up at Arco.
Now you do.

I've used them before, up to 3 tanks consecutively, and never noticed any performance or MPG decline (I log my MPG at every tank). They were owned by BP once and BP is a Top Tier brand.

But I haven't used Arco in over a year since I found a Shell station that's usually (though not always) priced similar to Arco. And since BP sold them to Tesoro last year (June 2013) I don't know if their formulation has changed or not.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I think it has been said a bunch of times here, but really all the major brands (including Costco) are the same. If they are all in your area, they all get the same bulk RBOB/Gasoline from the refinery closest to you. This is one of the reasons Exxon no longer owns any gas stations and only franchise. The really money is in discovery. Brand doesn't matter, especially when compared to Octane.

That being said, maintenance is definitely a factor, and for that reason I stay away from Silver anything. Go regular or go premium. Silver just doesn't get used as often as the other two.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
^

My hubby owns 6 tankers here in Atlanta and the best stations are:

Chevron- Great additives that are mixed at terminal after loading
Shell-same as Chevron with additives
Texaco-same as Chevron with additives
Costco- what's so great about Costco are their computers. Their computers are monitored 24/7 for sediments and other things. We load the same gas for Costco as Walmart, Kroger, etc. What makes them different are their computers that watches for water and sediments in tank. When we drop gas at the locations, Costco have their additives already in a separate tank on their property instead of mixing at terminals when loading. Very smart IMO.
QuikTrip- Quik Trip uses the same plain gas as Walmart, Costco, Kroger etc. The great quality about QT are their computers that reads sediments and water.

One of the reason why Costco, Walmart and Quik Trip gases are cheaper because they purchase their gas in bulk. Their rates are locked in vs independent stations that only get gas as need and whatever the price is.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I think it has been said a bunch of times here, but really all the major brands (including Costco) are the same. If they are all in your area, they all get the same bulk RBOB/Gasoline from the refinery closest to you. This is one of the reasons Exxon no longer owns any gas stations and only franchise. The really money is in discovery. Brand doesn't matter, especially when compared to Octane.

That being said, maintenance is definitely a factor, and for that reason I stay away from Silver anything. Go regular or go premium. Silver just doesn't get used as often as the other two.
Octane is octane but different brands have different additives so they're not all the same.

Originally Posted by organicgrl
My hubby owns 6 tankers here in Atlanta and the best stations are:

Chevron- Great additives that are mixed at terminal after loading
Shell-same as Chevron with additives
Texaco-same as Chevron with additives
Costco- what's so great about Costco are their computers. Their computers are monitored 24/7 for sediments and other things. We load the same gas for Costco as Walmart, Kroger, etc. What makes them different are their computers that watches for water and sediments in tank. When we drop gas at the locations, Costco have their additives already in a separate tank on their property instead of mixing at terminals when loading. Very smart IMO.
QuikTrip- Quik Trip uses the same plain gas as Walmart, Costco, Kroger etc. The great quality about QT are their computers that reads sediments and water.

One of the reason why Costco, Walmart and Quik Trip gases are cheaper because they purchase their gas in bulk. Their rates are locked in vs independent stations that only get gas as need and whatever the price is.
That's really good info, thanks!
BlueAquarian (04-02-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 PM
_

Originally Posted by asianspec
nope , but i avoid Arco.
Arco is now listed as a Top Tier gas.

I guess they, like Costco, decided it was worth paying the marketing fee.

Costco gas - I don't like it.-uqj785a.jpg