cops/towns and the economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
ChicagoNick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guy with the two bogus tickets...

for the headlight ticket... couldn't you just get a written statement from the dealer, stating that the headlights are stock and legal?

As for the aggressive acceleration, if you didn't break the speed limit... it's kinda your word against his.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

It turns out excessive acceleration is an actual violation; I think you have to eat that one and consider it punishment for doing something fun in sight of a cop.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ it is. I had a friend get pulled over in HS for an "Unsafe Start". Very similar infraction. In fact, it may be the same thing with a different name...
Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^ - I think it is also known as exhibition of speed. Total bullshit law. I got stopped for that once - cop said I left a huge trail of smoking tire marks. I asked him to show me. He said he didn't need to. Then called two other patrol cars over (mind you only 4 are on patrol at any one time in my town, plus one unmarked). Kept me for an hour. I said it was impossible for my car to even come close to peeling out because the carb wasn't turned properly and would catch on fire when I stepped on the gas.

Cop told me as he was letting me go he stopped me because he liked my car and wanted to look at it. Asshole.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:21 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by wackura
It turns out excessive acceleration is an actual violation; I think you have to eat that one and consider it punishment for doing something fun in sight of a cop.
I know it's a violation, it says it right on my ticket!
I think I'll end up just paying it too, but honestly, from stoplight to freeway is about 150 yards with NO merge-lane. Speedlimit on the freeway was 65 and I never got above 60.
I honestly wasn't even "having fun" and I was FAR from WOT, I was just doing what I thought I had to do.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

I'm surprised that it's a violation distinct from reckless driving, considering that rich people buy fast cars and rich people are so friendly with people who make the laws. What I'm getting is that it's essentially unlawful to use a Porsche for what it was intended.

In the case of speeding they say you exceeded some limit, or in the case of reckless driving you were swerving and rapidly changing lanes, but if you take the ticket to court and the officer who issued the ticket has to describe the "display of power" how does he or she go about describing an unsafe acceleration? "He went vrrroooom!"
Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by TzarChasm
The funny thing about the red light cameras is they work...for a while, then people get used to them and the revenue drops like a rock. In several parts of the country where they have had them for a while, they have started removing them because Police revenue is just totally gone.

The real truth is they WANT you to speed and they want you to run red lights, at least some of the time, so that they can make money. If the enforcement is too good, they never catch anyone, and that money goes away. in the meantime they still have to pay the company that runs the red light cameras, which eventually cost more money to run than they bring in.

Case in point Dallas Texas:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...-removing.html
That's awesome. Hopefully other communities pick up on that..

My cousin in Australia was telling me about how teenagers have been spray painting the lenses or smashing the speed and red light cameras. They have become local heroes...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoNick
for the headlight ticket... couldn't you just get a written statement from the dealer, stating that the headlights are stock and legal?

As for the aggressive acceleration, if you didn't break the speed limit... it's kinda your word against his.
yeah, of the two I think you should be able to get out of the headlight one. Maybe you can take pictures of your headlights and go to a dealership and take pictures of one or two cars on the lot or of another one next to yours....
Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by savage
yeah, of the two I think you should be able to get out of the headlight one. Maybe you can take pictures of your headlights and go to a dealership and take pictures of one or two cars on the lot or of another one next to yours....

yeah - I've already taken two pictures of my FX next to a dealer FX, both with the headlights on and with the license plates visible as well as a close up of the DOT insignia on the headlight housing. That should cover it.

...I think I'm just going to pay the other ticket, even though I don't agree with it, I just don't have the time and energy to fight two tickets...