civicdrivr's golfcart and Z8 - 5 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
Morgan, your CL was clean. Morgan, your FRS is clean. Morgan, we miss you. Post more.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockstar143:
Catfisha (06-17-2013), civicdrivr (06-20-2013), zac (03-13-2015)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Morgan, your CL was clean. Morgan, your FRS is clean. Morgan, we miss you. Post more.

Work is a motherfucker. Will take every moment you give it.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (06-20-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Big time

I used to tell my boss, dude, if you don't make your life (personal, wife, kids, hobbies) a priority, the company won't do it for you. He was one of those people trying to brag about putting in 10 hour days. I said, ummm...you're robbing your kids of that time and you wont' get it back and trust me, the company will dump you in a heartbeat if the day comes where it'll boost profits.
civicdrivr (06-20-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Too bad your CL is being parted out, I'm in the market for a 6 speed CL-S now that my SE-R is totaled.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,150 Likes on 4,817 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Sorry to read of your continuing problems with Toyota, Morgan.

That really, really, really sucks. If declared a lemon, will they give you a new FR-S? Or just refund you so you can move on?
I can choose a refund (less a reasonable amount for my use) or a new car. I'd choose the new car.

Originally Posted by charliemike

Work is a motherfucker. Will take every moment you give it.

Originally Posted by TylerT
Too bad your CL is being parted out, I'm in the market for a 6 speed CL-S now that my SE-R is totaled.
WTF happened to the R??
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 PM

And a copy and paste from the other forum:

OK, since I was too tired after work to get on the computer, I'll just paste what I told [MENTION=13139]xjohnx[/MENTION] (with some additional info).

I drove out of my way and came into work late just to be told by the dealer that the field engineer wasn't able to get there today. So I spent all of 7 minutes talking to the service manager. This is easily something I could've done over the phone.

But I digress...

They said the reason its being good willed is that the field tech looked at the black box readings and saw that the car was over revved. I immediately requested a print out of it and he said they don't have it but can get it. Then he added that the tech saw 8500 rpm. I was cruising on 76 (toll road in Richmond) @ ~65mph when the ticking started. I'm pretty damn sure I was in 6th and not 2nd. I did drive the car somewhat hard earlier in the day because I was running late, but it didn't over rev it. (Note - "hard" = fast, not flooring it to redline).

And apparently the rocker arm didn't break, it "shot off the hydraulic lifter" after floating from the supposed overrev.

He asked me if I've tracked the car (nope) or if its been turbod or supercharged (not yet). He also asked what I was doing when it happened, to which I told him cruising at a steady speed on my way home during a rainy day.

He then said "since you have a wideband and catch can, that's not what most people have on their NA cars". I agreed for the most part, but explained how its cheap insurance and I was planning on supercharging it in a few years and didn't want any oil residue in the combustion chamber. And the wideband sensor (nothing else, just the O2) was installed three days before I brought the car in the first time.

I pressed the coolant issue again and explained how its been doing it since new. He said that these cars do use a bit of coolant and create a bit of condensation, so that's probably the smoke from the exhaust. I also requested the compression test numbers, which cylinder it was that they saw build up, and what cylinder the rocker arm is being replaced on. All info that they didn't have, but said that I will be provided with when I pick up the car.

So that's where I am now, basically no new substantial info.
I really want to see that data from the black box. I'd know damn well if I downshifted when I shouldn't have (as that's the only way to theoretically hit 8500rpm). To sum up the previous 500 miles before heading to the dealer:

June 1st - Drove to Charlotte. It was a hot day, A/C was on. I was averaging ~70mph the entire trip, but there were areas where I was in a line of cars going 80-90mph. Got home around 9pm and parked the car for the night. Off highway driving consisted on 1-4 gears with a max speed of about 45. No WOT driving as I was low on gas (filled up before leaving Charlotte).

June 2nd - Rainy day, left for work around 1:30 in the afternoon. Traffic near a mall by my house, only ~5miles on that doing 35-40mph. Then 20 miles worth of highway doing 70-75mph. I think I brought it to ~6k rpms when getting on the highway the first time. The car sat for 11 hours at work. When I was pulling out of my work parking lot, I heard something from the rear suspension. I thought it was tire rub as I just got new, wider tires on the car. So I drove easy the entire way home with the radio off. Half way home I heard the ticking from the front end. The rest of the story has already been posted.

I'm heading out of town tomorrow, but I'll be calling the dealer in the morning and asking the service manager to send me all of the data they have.

PS - Prius' suck gigantic dick.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

man dealers are just telling you a bunch of crap....am glad you are calling them out and asking for the needed info to support their accusations...all in all, I for 1 am very disappointed in Toyota and the way they are handling it....I would have expected a lot more from them specially since you were the first 86 to buy the car and having problems within the warranty period....

i will rephrase your statement to:
"PS - Toyota sucks gigantic dick."
Catfisha (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:56 AM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
I wonder if one of thier techs overreved it when it was there for the coolant issue.......
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
WTF happened to the R??
Long story short, somebody pulled out in front of me last week and their car pushed mine into a median, almost flipped and insurance totaled it out as of Monday. Checking out a few 03 CL-S 6 speeds today .. hopefully snagging one by the weekend.

I read through your thread and man, Toyota is really fighting you on this. Paul may be onto something ..

Assuming the blackbox or data stored has a time stamp, you'll see exactly when their so called "Over rev" happened.

Good luck Morgan.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by TylerT
Long story short, somebody pulled out in front of me last week and their car pushed mine into a median, almost flipped and insurance totaled it out as of Monday. Checking out a few 03 CL-S 6 speeds today .. hopefully snagging one by the weekend.

I read through your thread and man, Toyota is really fighting you on this. Paul may be onto something ..

Assuming the blackbox or data stored has a time stamp, you'll see exactly when their so called "Over rev" happened.

Good luck Morgan.
I doubt it has time/date stamp unless the ecu has access to say a GPS time source in which case they would have had to disclose this when buying the car. I know honda/acura ECUs just have a generic Highest engine RPM, vehicle speed and coolant temp parameters.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Hot Ass!

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts
Hitting 8500 rpms once is enough to throw a rocker arm off of the push rod?! Have you valeted your car, Morgan?!

And how in the HELL can they "see" what your car has experienced in it's short life? Since when did cars get "black boxes"?

I think those "Tired Of Your Old Tits n' Ass" people are just talkin' a bunch of bullshit!

I hope you get to meet the MIA Field Engineer so y'all can go over your car together!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Catfisha
Hitting 8500 rpms once is enough to throw a rocker arm off of the push rod?! Have you valeted your car, Morgan?!

And how in the HELL can they "see" what your car has experienced in it's short life? Since when did cars get "black boxes"?

SORRY Jess
Black boxes http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...rash-data.html
Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,667 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Might be time to get the media involved with this soon. This is starting to get ridiculous.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Toyota
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Someone on FT86Club brought another thread to my attention. Heres quotes from the OP:

Originally Posted by rasec29
Driving home Monday night on the fwy (about 65-70) when the engine sputtered or rev'ed down, check engine light came on and throttle wasn't responsive. Coasted off the fwy, dash looked light up like a xmas tree. On the offramp engine shut down, got off the fwy came to a stop and smoke was everywhere. Oil puddle on the street and tow truck after towing.

Got my baby towed to my dealer (it was about 12:30 at night). Next day dealer advised me that Toyota wanted to look at it. The Toyota rep showed up yesterday (THURS) and confirmed that they are going to be giving me a long block motor replacement. They are going to keep my engine to see what happened. Hopefully I'll have my car back in a week and a half. I really want to know what happened.

Odometer approx: 10,840 miles

They haven't told me what happened except "that something gave out in the engine". I will update with more info when I get some.

they offered a rental by I have my xB to use in the meantime. I had Airaid intake and Perrin Pulley along with other cosmetic mods, those were the 2 mechanical.

Thanks guys, I trust Toyota will get me back or the road soon.
No engine work, just oil change. I haven't had any issues with CEL or bogging down with the airaid intake. My buddy has the exact same set up with intake and pulley but drives a lot less miles. If those items caused it eventually it would happen to him too. I did just install TRD exhaust the Saturday (2 days before) but doubt that was an issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
factory break in... longest 1k miles ever.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
New engine should be arriving any day now. Hopefully will have my car back in a week. I have no information on what happened. I have heard from some at the dealership that something in the head gave out. That it seems something defective in my engine, but its all hear say. I want to give you guys information that I consider certain not speculative. I will ask Toyota to give me a reason for failure and try to get you some accurate information. My buddy has the same setup with the Perrin pulley and Airaid intake with 5k miles and has had no issues. Maybe the addition of the TRD exhaust affected something. I don't know much mechanically so I am learning from this discussion and don't want to say things that I just don't know.
I will update this as soon as I get information.

Got my car back Saturday! Yay thanks to Longo & Scion for getting done reasonably quick. They even reinstalled a new pulley and kept existing on the old engine for testing.

Service tech wouldn't tell me what happened but some other workers mentioned a problem with a rocker in the can shaft. Made a hole in the engine.

Back on the road, if hear anything new I will post up more info.

Car is running good, still have the cricket but never went in for the service for that.

Oil change was pretty standard, did it at Longo and they're pretty good with stuff. I think the tech that works on the FRS there has an FRS to. But haven't heard any updates from Toyota regarding cause.

And two others that posted in his thread:

Originally Posted by Coastermikey
This is crazy I got a replacement long block not too long ago same symptoms and pop goes the motor. My service techs have refused to tell me what happened too. Even the engineers who flew out didn't say anything other than both cam shafts bent and broke through the valve covers.
Originally Posted by zohare
Ok guys, so I don't know if this is the same issue, but I got a look at a car in my local dealers shop right now, lifter went through the valve cover, you can imagine the rest.... I have some pictures, aren't great, but I'll have to get them off my phone. Lucky for me I have a windows phone so no tapatalk. I miss android.... sigh* Anyhow. Toyota is keeping this really quiet, seems odd that some of these engine survive hundreds of hours boosted and tracked but then the OP is cruising, and the guy at this dealer said he mis shifted going UP from 2-3, and just hit the limiter in neutral? So sound like a man. defect to me... any updates OP?
Related??

Last edited by civicdrivr; 06-22-2013 at 02:07 PM.
StreetKA (06-24-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM

lemon the FRS and buy the Ford ST LOL
Old 06-22-2013, 02:09 PM

Is RWD an option on the ST?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:11 PM

just drive it in reverse

on a serious note, I hope Toyota comes through for you....take that crankshaft out of the motor and beat some sense into them....ridiculous for a new car to do this and Toyota to not offer the warranty....
The following 2 users liked this post by swoosh:
Catfisha (06-24-2013), civicdrivr (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Im not sure if I've mentioned this already, but Im not spending a dime on the repair.

My issue is how they are classifying it. By going the warranty route, they fix it and give me back the car. By going the good will route, they fix it but they are also putting a note in my service history saying that the defect was caused by me. So, if I were to have another problem in 20k miles, they can easily say it was related to the phantom overrev and deny warranty coverage.

That's what I don't want because, ya know, I never over revved it. I'm the only person to drive me car in the 27k+ miles that I've owned it. I picked it up from the dealer with 8 miles on the odometer. The first time it was at the dealer, they put 5 miles on it. The second time, they put less than one mile on it. Outside of the dealership, no one other then myself have been allowed to drive my car.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 06-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 PM

^^^ ohh totally agreed....I hope they warranty it, so it comes back "fresh as new" to you and with a blank canvas ya know....

keep us updated....

and the obligatory
Old 06-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
poor FR-S...so pretty yet so delicate.

Morgan, this is a sign, come back to Acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by Undying Dreams:
MeehowsBRZ (06-28-2013), swoosh (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Morgan, this is a sign, come back to Acura.
Dear Honda/Acura,

Make something with a manual transmission that's worth buying.

Signed,
A guy that swore he'd never leave Honda/Acura years ago
The following 4 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
CLtotheTL32 (06-22-2013), rockstar143 (06-24-2013), RPhilMan1 (06-22-2013), swoosh (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Damn, that's crazy what happened to the other guy.

Hope this is resolved soon.
civicdrivr (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Dear Honda/Acura,

Make something with a manual transmission that's worth buying.

Signed,
A guy that swore he'd never leave Honda/Acura years ago
Cough s2k cough. Nothing honda makes new will be as good. Their reign is over.

I am also not surprised they want to keep a tight lid on this issue otherwise it would be all over the news and affect future sales.

Even though the techs only drove it a few miles does not mean that they did not abuse it. The acura dealer managed to smash up my front bumper from driving for 5 minutes and they refused to acknowledge and said I did it on the drive to the dealer. I am so glad I am not dealing with dealerships anymore. So much less stress.

Last edited by brian6speed; 06-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by brian6speed
Cough s2k cough. Nothing honda makes new will be as good. Their reign is over.
Exactly my point. And I looked at S2ks. They were either beat up/high mileage, or $20k+.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 PM

^^^ and they dont make S2K's anymore
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Im not sure if I've mentioned this already, but Im not spending a dime on the repair.

My issue is how they are classifying it. By going the warranty route, they fix it and give me back the car. By going the good will route, they fix it but they are also putting a note in my service history saying that the defect was caused by me. So, if I were to have another problem in 20k miles, they can easily say it was related to the phantom overrev and deny warranty coverage.

That's what I don't want because, ya know, I never over revved it. I'm the only person to drive me car in the 27k+ miles that I've owned it. I picked it up from the dealer with 8 miles on the odometer. The first time it was at the dealer, they put 5 miles on it. The second time, they put less than one mile on it. Outside of the dealership, no one other then myself have been allowed to drive my car.
I would tell them in no uncertain terms goodwill myazz.

Their motor has known issues fix or keep it.

have you been to corporate yet?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 PM
BANNED

Morgan, did I not warn you about 1st year power trains............
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,662 Likes on 13,898 Posts
Wallpaper for you guys!

The following 3 users liked this post by Yumcha:
00TL-P3.2 (07-10-2013), brian6speed (06-24-2013), civicdrivr (06-30-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
It's understandable that Toyota doesn't want the public to know, but being defensive and vague to the customer about a problem with their car is unacceptable.

Still rocking the Prius? How's your mileage challenge going?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,667 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Damn those reports are nuts. They better replace that under warranty and get rid of that good will shit.
civicdrivr (06-30-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM

Morgan, you do seem like a good candidate for a sub 15k s2000. Get them to fix it, and sell it. I hate to say it, but it sounds like they were rushed to release and didn't test enough. I mean, it's not an isolated incident and seems like it's compounding.

I'm sorry to hear about all this, btw.
civicdrivr (06-30-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
ive always heard this now im seeing it can be very true.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Hot Ass!

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts
Ummm....even if they do "fix" it, I don't think I'd want it back if it's a ticking time bomb, Morgan!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 PM

Tuesday morning:

They only put 2 miles on it. Probably because I gave them the car on E

No damage to the car, and I went over it with a fine tooth comb in the lot. Its filthy though, I havent washed it since the middle of May and I told them not to wash it either (and they listened!).

The car feels great. One thing that I noticed though - below 4k rpms the car felt very sluggish. It had a very on/off feel to the powerband. I say felt because I figured out what the issue was yesterday. They replaced the little cover that goes on the intake manifold. The problem was that I had trimmed the cover so one of the vacuum lines can get to the air/oil separator (*ahem* ANIL). The line was pinched due to the cover. Fifteen minutes of trimming/filing and its back to the way it was, and the car feels peppier below 4k now. Much better.

Aside from that, the paperwork mentioned nothing about a goodwill repair, nor did it mention the mysterious over-rev. This is what the paperwork has in the cause field:

Replace cylinder head due to rockerassembly coming apart
Weird, huh?

Code:
Parts Replaced:
110011 CYL HD SUBASSY (W/O ALL VLV)
1 SU003-00328 PMP AY-FUEL, H PRS
1 SU003-00342 PIPE AY-FUEL DLVY
1 SU003-00347 GSKT-FUEL PIPE
2 SU003-00290 GSKT-INT MANIF
1 SU003-00316 GSKT-THROT CHMBR
6 00279-0W201-01 OW20 BULK OIL-W
1 SU003-00311 FILTER
1 SU003-00115 HEAD ASSY-CYL LH
1 SU003-00099 GSKT-CYL HEAD, 2
1 SU003-00196 VALVE-INT
2 SU003-00278 ROCKER CP-VALVE
1 SU003-00182 CAMSHAFT CP-INT LH
1 SU003-00182 CAMSHAFT CP-EXH LH
1 SU003-04240 PIVOT-ROCKER ARM
1 SU003-00281 GSKT-ROCKER COVERLH
1 SU003-00282 COVER-VALVE ROC LH
1 SU003-04237 CARR AY-CAMSHAFT
1 SU003-00289 COVER-COLLECTOR
1 SU003-00221 SHIM-VALVE
1 SU003-00220 SHIM-VALVE
1 SU003-00222 SHIM-VALVE
1 00295-00103 FIPG OIL PAN
1 00272-GTBC1 GT SUPER LLC BLUE
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Thanks for the I told you so...

Originally Posted by Aman
It's understandable that Toyota doesn't want the public to know, but being defensive and vague to the customer about a problem with their car is unacceptable.

Still rocking the Prius? How's your mileage challenge going?
I agree. Fuck the Prius. I think I managed 41mpg on the last tank. The readout on that thing was optimistic though, it was about 2mpg higher than real world.

Morgan, you do seem like a good candidate for a sub 15k s2000. Get them to fix it, and sell it. I hate to say it, but it sounds like they were rushed to release and didn't test enough. I mean, it's not an isolated incident and seems like it's compounding.

I'm sorry to hear about all this, btw.
Im incredibly OCD, especially when it comes to my cars. I have not come across a single sub-$15k S2000 that I would consider. I prefer late model AP2s (06-09s), and the cars that I would consider looking at are north of $20k. For now, the car stays.

Originally Posted by Catfisha
Ummm....even if they do "fix" it, I don't think I'd want it back if it's a ticking time bomb, Morgan!
I've grown attached to it, Im not getting rid of it any time soon.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Shifty eyes make me nervous.

And for a looooooong overdue mod! I installed the [m4d tyte] JDM [y0!] underpanels yesterday. I picked them up over a month ago when I was in NY, but obviously didn't have the time or the car to install them. The JDM and EDM GT86s come with these from the factory, and they actually do help with drag. I believe the CoD drops from .29 to .28 with the underpanels. If I had the TRD spoiler, it would drop to .27, if the internets and Toyota are to believed.

No installed pics at the moment, as it was too dark for my cell phone to capture anything and my camera kept fogging up because of the heat. They cover from the transmission cover all the way back to the rear axle. Im waiting for a nice rear diffuser to come out because without the stock muffler (which is the size of a park trash can), the rear end begins to lift at speed. I feel it at times, and I don't want that.

Modifications As of 6/29/2013
- Grimmspeed license plate relocation kit
- SolarGard Ultra Performance 60 (front), Ultra Performance 40 (rear)
- Clear bra covering bumper, hood, fenders, behind each wheel, a-pillars, trunk opening, gas door, and mirrors
- FR-S emblem removed from trunk lid
- Volk CE28N-L 18x8.5 +44mm wheels
- Rays locking lug nuts
- Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 225/40-18
- WC Lathewerks Stainless Steel Piston shift knob
- Morimoto RetroQuik projector retrofit kit w/ 5000k bulbs
- Nokya Yellow high beam bulbs
- Subaru Homelink Mirror
- Fortune Auto 500 coilovers
- Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
- Perrin Polyurethane Shifter Bushing
- OEM Mud Gaurds
- Five Axis Design trunk spoiler
- eBay 1.5" antenna
- Visconti Stage 1 RaceRom (currently v1.05)
- Airaid Air Intake Kit
- SRT Catted Header Back Exhaust
- Toyota Clear Sidemarker Lights
- Chrome Turn Signal and Marker Bulbs
- BPS Short Shifter
- Crawford Air/Oil Separator
- Unknown Brand Fender Bolts
- BPS Red Anodized Reverse Lockout Mechanism
- Grimmspeed Hood Struts
- WDNinja Taillight Gaskets
- Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway Bars
- EDM Armrest
- GT86 Underpanels

Other than that, I've got about 400 miles on it since I picked it up and it feels great.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 06-30-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Glad to see you have your car back, Morgan. I hope it stays fixed. Nice pickup on the under-body panels as well.
civicdrivr (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Congrats. Maybe this will fix your email issue?????
civicdrivr (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Fingers crossed that your problems with this car are behind you!
civicdrivr (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Congrats. Maybe this will fix your email issue?????
Que?

Quick Reply: civicdrivr's golfcart and Z8 - 5 thread