Castrol Ex-CEO: oil changes are a scam

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I go 10k on either Castrol Syntec or Valvoline Synpower. Never one concern.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Why? 95% of the people out there arent in the severe maint schedule. Hell i am in it and dont follow it, and there is no need to. All of my oil analysis have shown that the oil is just fine.

I just spent the day lapping the car. The oil in there was new and will most likely stay in there the next 10k or until i pull the motor out this winter. Today the car spent the better half of its lap time at 7k rpm.
I don't know about that. It's kind of hard to be in the Normal Schedule.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
I dont consider stop and go severe unless your a Taxi driver.

My car gets tracked often, and idles all day yes all day. Its easier on the car and me to leave it running. I shut it off for lunch and the occasional bathroom break. Even on conventional Dino oil 8-10k intervals were ok. I had/have the oil tested often and have never had less than a 2.8 TBN or a bad report.

3k is a scam and a waste of resources and money. Especially on modern oils and motors.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
very hard

I dont consider stop and go severe unless your a Taxi driver.

My car gets tracked often, and idles all day yes all day. Its easier on the car and me to leave it running. I shut it off for lunch and the occasional bathroom break. Even on conventional Dino oil 8-10k intervals were ok. I had/have the oil tested often and have never had less than a 2.8 TBN or a bad report.

3k is a scam and a waste of resources and money. Especially on modern oils and motors.
but then again you car does not go through many heat cycles either, with very short trips down to say the grocery store, instead it stays warmed up all day long, which is not going to be as hard on oil
Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
My RCM analysis says that from the consequences of failure, etc., that I should change the oil every 12,684 miles on synthetic.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
When I bought my Type S, my dealership (Jay Wolfe Acura-Kansas City) gives me free oil changes for the life of my car. I'm not going to worry about it.
You should bring them donuts or pizza or something every once in a while for that. It can go a long way when you need the service writers or manager for something costly.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
That's a zddp issue with flat tappet cams. They had to significantly lower zddp levels to meet SM requirements. Supposedly the zddp will hurt catalyst efficiency which is BS. I've had an oil loaded with it since the second oil change and it's getting close to 100,000 miles now. Once again sacrificing wear for emissions/fuel economy. In the GN world, cams started failing before people realized they made this change to the oil. I guess the powers that be decided flat tappet cammed cars were a small enough minority that they just didn't matter so they quietly made the switch. I big f-U in our faces IMO. Another reason I run Redline in everything.
Why? 95% of the people out there arent in the severe maint schedule. Hell i am in it and dont follow it, and there is no need to. All of my oil analysis have shown that the oil is just fine.
If you read closely, just about everything except for extended freeway driving will qualify as severe duty. They would be better off listing what does not qualify.

Originally Posted by G
The big thing to worry about is the filter. I have a friend who only changes his oil once a year-and he changes his filter as needed throughout. We took the motor out a few weeks ago to play around with it (boring out, etc), and it looks brand new after two years of this method.
Depends on the oil and filter. I use a RP s2000 filter on my TL. It has superior flow, filtration and loading. 15,000 miles is normal on this filter.
Originally Posted by Saintor
I believe that excessive oil changes are a scam.

Follow recommendations when on warranty.
Bi-annual for mineral oil.
Annual for synthetic oil (as required by Mercedes, Porsche, BMW or as per their monitors)
Define excessive... There is no one size fits all. You can't say bi-annual for mineral, etc, etc. Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW have a much larger capacity than your average car. This is how they get away with the long intervals. There are so many variables.

Originally Posted by csmeance
If you drive nicely (not to high revs), and don't do to much stop and go driving, I think oil should last a fairly long time. doing oil changes at 3000 miles is somewhat pointless, wasn't that rule developed in the time of the muscle car era? I think a monsterous V8 that races a lot would need more oil changes than an old woman driving a 4cyl accord. I would tend to think that in stop and go, 5000 with dino oil is good, and highway, 10,000 is good. With synthetics, not sure..
The 3,000 mile oil change did have some validity for 2 reasons. The oil of the day and carbureted engines. Oils have improved and closed loop feedback fuel injection has greatly reduced the demands on the oil and engine wear.

A high strung 4 banger is harder on oil than a large V8 at the same power level.

Over time, additives get depleted, oil oxidizes and shears, and then you have the contaminate load. If I didn't have the contaminate load to think about, I would run my Redline to 15,000 miles no problem since it won't shear, oxidize, and it has tons of zddp, moly, and other additives.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
If you read closely, just about everything except for extended freeway driving will qualify as severe duty. They would be better off listing what does not qualify.

Define excessive... There is no one size fits all. You can't say bi-annual for mineral, etc, etc. Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW have a much larger capacity than your average car. This is how they get away with the long intervals. There are so many variables.

A high strung 4 banger is harder on oil than a large V8 at the same power level.
X@ reason why a say such a huge majority of people should follow the severe schedule

when you dump 9 quarts of oil in a 3.0 liter in an BMW X5, JUST to get it to the full mark (for a fair comparison, the 2JZ in the Supra only takes like 5-6 quarts of oil, and both are inline 6's) (btw it was also Mobile 1, as per the oil cap lol), you wounder why you are able to do longer oil changes on them

yes indeed 4 bangers are harder on oil, especially when they normally take less oil to begin with, let alone revving higher for the same amount of power output (and turbo's are more commonplace on 4's, which skyrocket's the wear and tear on the oil when driven like they should be )
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
I don't even give them the extra 10% and myself wait for the MID to read 5% or Due Now to get it changed...
Ironically, I just changed the oil in my MDX today after having gone 380 miles beyond 0%.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,032 Likes on 545 Posts
I go about 6-8K Km a year, and I do my oil change once a year, along with the filter. 5w-50 this time. For an H6, I'm doing real well and not consuming any oil.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by pebe
Maybe gas is a scam too I mean, how many people have driven as far as they could on E and seen how far they get?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk