Car Flooded on the street!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Flooded on the street!

Parked my car in downtown Atlanta at a meter parking spot and after we had some killer rain, came back to find it FLOODED! Wasnt sure why there was 4 inches of water in the car and the street looked normal til a young guy came out of the building and said that the street was just flooded to my bumper.

The water line on my door panels indicate that the water was at the maximum, 7 inches from the floor of the car.

The driver's seat (power) does not work at all and the tranny on the highway was hesistating and shifting wierdly. Also the speedometer sometimes goes from 0 to 2 mph while stopped.

So heres my question:

I was wondering if I should claim this with insurance if the seat and tranny ultimately work fine wehn they dry out.

I thought that flood damaged vehicles are totalled by insurance because of unknowable hidden damage that could spring up at anytime, but I was snooping around the web and found many sites saying that the car should be dissassembled where needed and cleaned.

I rather not claim if its just ging to get cleaned, when do they total the vehicle? How do I know that this tranny wont clonk out on me 2,000 miles later from damage done yesterday?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I would just have it looked over completely and have the transmission fluid changed in case water got in through a vent or something and go from there. If you claim it, they may not total the vehicle, but now you will have water damage on the cars record (carfax) and you won't be able to get anything for it if you ever sell. I wouldn't know what an insurance company would consider a flooded, totaled vehicle.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Let the car sit for at least 4-5 days and let everything dry out and see what happens. You really shouldn't have started your car that day.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
You got hit with a tropical depression. Would the insurance still cover it if a problem was discovered a week after the storm?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
CLAIM THAT SHIT IMMEDIATELY!

The nice thing about an event like this is that it is considered an act of God. In other words your insurance will NOT be negatively affected. All you have to do is pay the deductible. At the very least your insurance company will have the entire interior pulled out and the pad under the carpeting replaced. Now lets say you had some stereo equipment get wet. Then lets say you have the receipts for that equipment. You give your insurance the equipment, the receipts, and they right you a check for the amount of the receipts! That simple.

O yeah don't forget you get to get a rental while your car is being fixed (if you have rental coverage on your insurance).

Last edited by bl^5; 07-07-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bl^5
CLAIM THAT SHIT IMMEDIATELY!

The nice thing about an event like this is that it is considered an act of God. In other words your insurance will NOT be negatively affected. All you have to do is pay the deductible. At the very least your insurance company will have the entire interior pulled out and the pad under the carpeting replaced. Now lets say you had some stereo equipment get wet. Then lets say you have the receipts for that equipment. You give your insurance the equipment, the receipts, and they right you a check for the amount of the receipts! That simple.

O yeah don't forget you get to get a rental while your car is being fixed (if you have rental coverage on your insurance).
If you own a convertible and it rains with the top down, is it an act of god and you get all new stuff with no penalties? I would ask around and see whats involved in this type of claim. I would rather look into what could be wrong with the car if anything myself, befor I file claims and keep a car that has water damage on the records and never be able to trade in or sell. Act of God or not, you would still be filing an X amount claim with your insurance company and they will find away to get the money back.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What you fail to realize is that I have been through this before on two occasions.

Once coincidentally was with a convertible that was parked on the side of the street when a storm came through and flooded it out. It was sitting in 3' of water and it was only 4.5' tall! I filed a claim and there were no negative reprecussions (state farm insurance). The car was not totalled so the title was not affected. It was important that they pulled the carpet and replaced the pad because otherwise the pad would have mildewed and the car would have had a stench. They actually had to rebuild my engine to because water got in it.

The second was hail damage. It works the same way only with hail damage it usually happens on such a large scale (to so many cars at one time) that insurance companies set up dissaster response teams to quickly handle the claims. It can be as simple as driving up to a tent having an appraiser do a quick once over the damage and cut you a check for that amount minus your deductible on the spot. Once again, no negative reprocussions (sp?).

O' and keep in mind cars get totalled when it cost more to fix them than they are worth.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
I think they get totaled when it the cost of repair is greater than 80% of the value of the car.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Make a claim..like NOW!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Racer

i made the claim thursday and they are talking about sending someone over early NEXT WEEK!

im thinking and hoping that they total it, just dont know what the key points are that they look for when deciding to total a car for flood?

any insurance guys out there>?