Can I sue my dealer for writing incorrect info on statement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
What the...?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastAcura
So when they say you need to change the brakes, you don't do it. When you come back half a year later and they say the brakes are OK, you "don't feel safe?"

Wow. Your parents should sue your doctor, because he/she must have dropped you on your head when you were a baby.
That's really not necessary tone. But I didn't mention it, so it may be my fault.

First, that is four month, not half year. Second, I don't have a chance driving this car during the spring. I was flying around and most time driving a rental car in a strange city. I even canceled my insurance for this spring since the car is just parking in my grage.

That's why, normally the service is done every three months, but this time I done it late.

Say if it is you, would you do a $700 brake change for the car when you know you won't drive it for months?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by SolitarySky
I was flying around and most time driving a rental car
Hope you made sure the rental car got and passed a proper inspection before taking possession of it, and that you also verified everything on the inspection report. I mean, rental cars do get abused by people much more than their own. You never know. Your safety is essential.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FastAcura
So when they say you need to change the brakes, you don't do it. When you come back half a year later and they say the brakes are OK, you "don't feel safe?"

Wow. Your parents should sue your doctor, because he/she must have dropped you on your head when you were a baby.
I think you are trying to transfer the point of this discussion to something else, something that I actually just using the case to gain advantage for myself, the dealer is really innocence, my personality is bad....etc.

Even you are all right about me, your point still not stand. Let me show you.

Assume , based on your sentence, I didn't change the brakes at first time. So I'm not care for myself's safety, is correct.

So what?

Is this change the situation?

As a customer, I pay for the service I want to get, and I can reject the service I think it is unnecessary. If I have some accident because I didn't follow their advice to change the brake, its all on me.

I didn't do anything un properly at first service.

As a service provider, they provide service based on a price. The invoice is a legal contract that agreed with customer and service provider. I pay for the price, I should get the service I need. In this case, a correct inspection result.
Which they failed to provide.

The issue back to the beginning, what can I do to get my rights back?

You see, it is really doesn't matter what kind of person I am. It is all about contract and agreement. The side who breaks the agreement should have penalty, the side who suffered from the break of agreement should be repaid.

So next time before you worried about other's childhood, see a doctor, and let him inspect your which age level your IQ equals to.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
_

The issue back to the beginning, what can I do to get my rights back?
Again, what rights did they take away from you? You never answered the question the first time.

They're already going to do another inspection for you *and* replace the brakes for free.

I already booked a appointment with the customer protection division this morning. Also my dealer offer me that they will do the inspection again and they are going to cover the cost of replace the brakes.
What more do you want?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AZuser
Again, what rights did they take away from you? You never answered the question the first time.

They're already going to do another inspection for you *and* replace the brakes for free.

What more do you want?
Every state has its own consumer protection acts. In my states, this is called "fail of work" issue. The rights I have lost is First, as a consumer, I didn't get what I paid for. Second, I have been lied, on purpose or just by mistake, doesn't matter. The fact not change. The evidence is obvious.

I didn't want anything but know how can I protect myself from situation like this. I want to know if this kind of stuff happend again, what should I do and who can help me.

I didn't take the offer at first time is not because I want ask more. If so, I won't contact the consumer protection division. I will just go to dealer and ask. I follow the legal way may led me get less compare to the offer dealer provide. After all, as one of post above says, there is no actual damage.

I want to know in such situation, what can I do about it, and how far I can go to protect myself with help of legal and justice. That's it.

Oh, I know you will laugh.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
What were you driving prior to coming to America? A Lada? A water buffalo? A camel? A rickshaw?

Come off it mate. You're lucky the dealer wants to make it right and do your brakes for free. Based on your responses here, I'm shocked the dealer didn't blow you out and tell you to pound sand.

Take it and run. Seriously.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hapa DC5:
honda_nut (06-27-2013), MR1 (06-27-2013), nspec_ya4 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
definitely sue them for a million dollars, a new nsx, and life time of free service.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Seriously though... if you don't like the service your dealer is providing, just find another shop and/or dealer.

As mentioned by several members... some of whom are lawyers... there is nothing lawsuit worthy here...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Get over it.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Ok kids enough OP bashing. I think he gets it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Say if it is you, would you do a $700 brake change for the car when you know you won't drive it for months?
Do not do the brake job at a dealer! Mine was around $260 at an independent shop ( including turned/resurfaced rotors [on car brake lathe] rebuilt calipers and new OEM pads).
I think you are trying to transfer the point of this discussion to something else, something that I actually just using the case to gain advantage for myself, the dealer is really innocence, my personality is bad....etc.

Even you are all right about me, your point still not stand. Let me show you.

Assume , based on your sentence, I didn't change the brakes at first time. So I'm not care for myself's safety, is correct.

So what?

Is this change the situation?

As a customer, I pay for the service I want to get, and I can reject the service I think it is unnecessary. If I have some accident because I didn't follow their advice to change the brake, its all on me.

The new/apprentice employee who looked at your brakes made a minor measurement mistake. You were NOT in danger.

Every state has its own consumer protection acts. In my states, this is called "fail of work" issue. The rights I have lost is First, as a consumer blah blah...

Oh, I know you will laugh.
^You would not be able to use this CPA because no work was actually done on your car. An inspection is not held to that standard. It is simply a VISUAL inspection.

OP, take the good advice you've been offered by the AZ members. As much as I hate to admit it, Shoofin is right...

Move on and "get over it."
The following users liked this post:
Shoofin (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Thank you for your advice. I will think about it. I think I may take the offer, but I will go to a Customer Protection Agent first. This is also a very good chance to learn what can I do if this kind of stuff happend again. (Which I pretty sure it will).

About the reputable mechanics, this is my bad. Since I really not knowing many about car. So for a car like Acura, I always took it to dealer for services. Which makes me feel better. I know this may looks stupid to some of you, but trust me, most of drives are as same as me.

I will do some research based on your suggestion, try to find a good auto shop in the town.
Clearly you did not understand the part about not using a micrometer.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Irony: OP is concerned about brakes, yet purchases a Honda/Acura lowest quality front brakes around.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
_

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Irony: OP is concerned about brakes, yet purchases a Honda/Acura lowest quality front brakes around.
But.....

Best in class vent placement
Best in class ground clearance
Best in class side mirror aerodynamics
Best in class Japanese paint quality. It will still shine for years
Best in class safety
Best in class refinement
Best in class fuel economic
Best in class rear leg room
Best in class reliability
Best in class handling with all season tire setup
Best in class Aerodynamics
Best in class ergonomically designed interior
Best in class resale value

ttribe (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Please stop going to the dealer for regular maintenance. Like you mentioned, the dealer is necessary for large repairs/issues that are out of the scope of regular maintenance. You should not pay more than $300 for a full brake job. I addition, you should not be overly concerned with the safety of your brakes. It is not like one day the pad will run out, and you will run into something. There is a wear indicator tab on the pad that will start to make a loud metal on metal sound if your pads are approaching unsafe depths. I don't suggest waiting for this to happen as it can damage your rotor, but your brakes won't just "stop working".

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
[Mod edit]Something really inappropriate was posted here and this member may have to go sit in a corner for a while[end]
Last warning!!!
DAMMIT! Now I see why swoosh sub's to threads...

The U.S. has the honor of being the most sue-happy. And the #s go up every year.
And the U.S. sues for the most stupid reasons too.
My impression of a situation is BS? I didn't tout it as fact. That's a pretty strong retort.

Last edited by oo7spy; 06-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
A lot of the sub par braking results on most Honda/Acura models is mostly due to the fact that they are using Low Rolling Resistance or Touring Tires with ride comfort and fuel economy in mind. Put a better/more aggressive tire on there, get better handling AND braking.

And to the OP...In all seriousness, no need to go to the dealer to change brakes. ANY independent shop will install brakes for less than the dealer pricing.
oo7spy (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
$700 for a brake job?!?!?!?!?

I wouldn't spend 700 bucks on a brake job...
Old 06-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Dude, find the best aka most expensive lawyer you can and own that dealership, you and your family's safety deserve it!

[Mod edit]Something really inappropriate was posted here and this member may have to go sit in a corner for a while[end]

Last warning!!!
Srs have you not read the petty shit that goes back and forth in both car talk and ramblings? Honestly, the personal attacks on AZ are all too common and you get on me for that comment!?

I like yourself have been here a long time and the attacks are ridiculous. Was mine uncalled for, absolutely. Was this thread ridiculous? Yes. This should have been closed long before now.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Double face palm for this thread!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
But.....

Best in class handling with all season tire setup
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM
KCCO

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
$700 for a brake job just seems unreal. I know that the dealer can be expensive, but seriously? Mine goes into the dealer quite regularly and they have never really charged me a lot for anything. I had a big service done about a year back, I cant for the life of me remember what it was but they had told me up front that I would be getting a loaner car for a day. I decided to stay around and wait to hear back on the initial inspection, mainly because I told them to check my brakes. The mechanic came out to me, not the service rep, and asked if I wanted to see what he found. I got to go check out the rotors and pads, and sure as hell the rotors needed some loving and the pads needed replacing. But this is where I am a little confused, whereas your dealer charges $700 for a brake job, they only charged me something like $280. As far as I can tell, if you are good with your dealer, they will be good to you when it counts, no need to go balls out and get all mad at them.