Buying a truck. A cheap one. A real gem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Buying a truck. A cheap one. A real gem.

After years of borrowing someone else's truck for towing stuff like jet skis or moving boxes to a new house, I'm actually going to buy one for myself. There's only so much I can carry in the TL, and I'm not putting a hitch on her.

I've been looking at Toyotas Tacomas (and the earlier Toyota "Pickup") as well as Dodge Dakotas. I know Toyotas are bullet proof and I have somewhat of a history/familiarity with Dodge. The other brands don't interest me.

One truck that caught my eye was a '98 Dakota with a 2.5 liter 4 banger, essentially an old AMC engine that's based on the venerable 4.0 liter inline 6. It has a 5 speed manual transmission and no frills. It is a basic truck with decent velour upholstery on a somewhat tolerable split bench, rolly up windows, a radio that even gets AM, and a huge fuel gauge where one would normally find a tachometer.

The engine is quite possibly one of the raspiest and unpleasant sounding machines I've ever heard. In fact, I think the engine uses so much power to make noise and vibrate that there is little remaining to actually propel the truck... that's the way it feels anyway. Seriously, it's a bit on the pokey side. You might be able to outrun an old Rabbit Diesel though... But I dont think it will have too much trouble lugging around a lightweight trailer, and it won't be a daily driver.

For some reason I am attracted to it and will likely just buy it. There is something admirable about such a basic albeit somewhat contemporary looking vehicle. It actually handles and feels pretty good for a truck, and I attribute that to the rack and pinion steering and properly independent front suspension.

The engine, despite it's obvious flaws, is endearing to me in a way. It has a cast iron block and head, a counterflow head at that... pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder, real ignition wires, etc. It is apparently very understressed and I expect it would last a good while without any catastrophic failures.

Another point to consider is that the advertised fuel economy is quite respectable, and several digits better than the V6 (the 3.9 odd-fire thing).

Does anyone have experience with this truck or one similar to it? Any stories/warnings to share?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Want my 94 Explorer? PM for details.