BMW's 5 Series to undergo a major redesign for 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 02:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW's 5 Series to undergo a major redesign for 2003

From Autoweek:

BMW is preparing its fifth-generation 5 Series, redesigned from the ground up. Concentrating on launching the 2002 7 Series, the North American marketing arm declines comment, but details of the midsize executive contender are being revealed in Europe.

Codenamed E60, the new 5 Series will be the first car conceived and developed under BMW's research and development leader Burkhard Goeschel. The sedan arrives in early 2003, followed by a station wagon in 2004. Styled under BMW design boss Chris Bangle, the E60 eschews the familiar look of today's car for a more progressive shape and detailing that incorporates cues first seen on the Munich automaker's controversial Z9 concept car.

The dramatic appearance departs from what Bangle describes as the "one sausage in different lengths" effect critics have applied to 3, 5 and 7 Series models for 15 years or more. Up front, a flatter, wider version of the classic BMW kidney grille divides almond-shaped headlights that house twin bi-Xenon projector lamps. The sloping hood leads back to a more raked windshield. Toward the rear, the roofline gets a rounded coupe-like profile, the sides are flatter than on today's car and the higher trunk line shows a sharper edge. Overall size remains the same; however, more space is devoted to rear seat legroom and trunk space.

Inside, BMW will let buyers choose either a standard dashboard or an optional iDrive layout similar to that on the upcoming 7 Series. The iDrive groups switches in a rotary dial between the front seats, linked to a video display mounted near the instrument binnacle. The car offers an array of telematic features, a comprehensive safety package with eight airbags, antilock brakes and stability and traction control.

BMW expects weight to come in between 3200 and 3500 pounds, depending on engine size and equipment levels. That's on the lean side for such a car, an achievement due in large measure to extensive use of aluminum in the front structure. Borrow-ing from its experience with the aluminum space-frame Z8 and upcoming Rolls-Royce, BMW has been working with U.S. aluminum giant Alcan to develop a connecting process to avoid problems inherent in bonding aluminum to the main steel monocoque.

European buyers will choose among a broad range of four-, six- and eight-cylinder engines, starting with a 142-hp 2.0-liter version of BMW's all-alloy four-cylinder built in the United Kingdom. The engine uses more efficient Valvetronic engine controls that eliminate the throttle butterfly. Other engines include 2.5-liter and 3.0-liter inline six-cylinders, also with Valvetronic controls and a direct-injection system that BMW says boosts horsepower while improving fuel efficiency by 10 percent. Finally, look for the 5 Series to offer a 270-hp 3.5-liter V8 and a 340-hp 4.5-liter V8-both units set to debut in the 7 Series.

Crowning the lineup will be the new M5. Munich's super sedan will come with a rework-ed version of the existing model's 5.0-liter all-alloy V8. The revised engine produces over 430 hp-up 30 hp over today's M5.

Transmission choices will include a six-speed automatic with Steptronic sequential shifting and steering wheel-mounted shift buttons; a five-speed manual is standard.

Class-leading handling will be aided by a front aluminum structure that reduces loads on the front axle to provide sharper steering response and reduced understeer. It is joined by an active suspension system that uses hydraulics to reduce pitch and lean during hard cornering, heavy acceleration and emergency braking.

Alongside traditional rear-wheel drive, BMW also plans to offer four-wheel drive based on a simplified version of the European-market 330Xi setup.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S

[This message has been edited by gavriil (edited 05-03-2001).]
Old 05-03-2001, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
HEY gavriil

I love your posts, but is there a way you can sum up your articals? Are these your own words from the mag or is it straight from the mag, word for word, just curious. I love the info if you can sum most of it up.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easier for him just to copy and paste. Makes him appear smart with half the work!

You're better off going to the web site. I found the same article on www.autoweek.com.

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

I couldn't think of anything clever to say.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by saabman4ever:
It's easier for him just to copy and paste. Makes him appear smart with half the work!

You're better off going to the web site. I found the same article on www.autoweek.com.

At least he's sharing it; also he said it was from autoweek. Leave him alone he does good research and this keeps me from having to do it. keep it up grvriil

</font>
Old 05-03-2001, 06:56 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the post Gavrill, little bit of an old news, but good details about the car.

------------------
---------------------
'01 CLS Satin Silver w/Black, Navi-less, spoiler,
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Desired Mods: 18" Wheels/tires, Springs/Sways, CAI, subwoofer.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:04 PM
Instructor

It would just be nice if some commentary was added, a little more insight. I don't have a problem with someone copying/pasting articles, but I could read the same thing on the originating site. There's no value add.

Besides, gavrill has only recently posted the source, after I brought it up in a previous thread.

'nuff said. i'll shut up now.

------------------
2001 SAAB 9-3SE HOT

I couldn't think of anything clever to say.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

These articles are copied directly from the sources. Which I am now posting as some requested. I still do not understand why people want to see the source but I will post them if that is what will make people feel better about the posts. I can understand this being plagurism if I were making money or writing for a test at school but...anyway...

Now.

The reason why I posting these posts is because of the following simple belief of mine:

KNOWING THE INDUSTRY BETTER MAKES YOU KNOW YOUR CAR BETTER.

I am a true believer in that.

But in all fairness, I do agree with Saab4Ever about commentary needed. Which I gladly always wanted to do anyway, but I left the posts "as is" so that I see what you, members, had to say about the particular posts.

This is CarTalk after all, it is great talking about the CLs but we could have a TON more interesting things to talk about if we added all interesting automotive events embracing all brands and all intresting cars. "Interesting" is subjective and that is why we have a forum, to see what interesting means to everyone so that we all learn. It is entertainment I would suppose for almost everyone.

PS: I am not into the business of summurazing sorry. If you want to pay someone to do it for you that would be great.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-04-2001, 12:32 AM
Ace rider

Here's a pic, I have to say it's the ugliest 5 I've ever seen. Ugly no matter what brand...

http://www.powerwheelz.net/bmw/models/5-new.htm

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler
Retired: 94 540i
Old 05-04-2001, 12:40 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has the headlight of the new RSX and back of the Chrysler 300M. Yep Ugly, no inovations at all just steal some "clues".

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 05-04-2001, 12:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dacat:
Here's a pic, I have to say it's the ugliest 5 I've ever seen. Ugly no matter what brand...

http://www.powerwheelz.net/bmw/models/5-new.htm

</font>
Dacat:

That was so interesting I will have to post the phots here so people see how ugly this car is from the rear! There is got to be a mistake here. This cannot be how the 7 series looks fromt he rear! This cannot be a BMW period. This has got to be a computer extrapolation of someone's. Hmmm...I wonder.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 05-04-2001, 12:50 AM
Ace rider

All I can say is, my old e34 540 was my favorite style, looked mean and classy at the same time. Ah, time to go look at my old pics...

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler
Retired: 94 540i
Old 05-04-2001, 02:35 AM
Race Director

would bmw honestly make the 5 series look like that?????

i HOPE not..i still have some respect left for bmw..i must say i lost a lot of it when they introduced they introduced the 318ti hatchback..

this would be REALLY bad...

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch