BMW: "Go Back To VW, You Don't Deserve to own a BMW"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BMW: "Go Back To VW, You Don't Deserve to own a BMW"

Poor Raquel. She only wanted to return her leased BMW. Following instructions to bring her car to any authorized dealership, she arrived at Brecht BMW in San Diego. Brecht's manager refused to accept the car, a decision he conveyed by screaming in front of her kids, threatening to call the police, and telling her to "go back to Volkswagon" because she didn't "deserve to own a BMW." Raquel writes:

On July 19th, 2007 I drove my leased BMW in Escondido, Ca. (Brecht BMW). I was told by Chase (the lender) to take the car back to any dealership. That I should take a photo of the car in front of the dealership I am leaving it with and have the dealership verify the odometer reading, leave the keys with them and I would be done. If I did not turn the car into a dealership by the 19th, then I would be financially penalized.

I walked into Brecht BMW and the first sales person I met asked me if he could help me. I said yes I am here to turn in my lease. He asked if I had bought my car from them. I said no, I bought it from Irvine, but I was told by Chase that I could take it anywhere. He said no he couldn't help me b/c Chase was closed and he needed the buyout amount. I said no, they told me that he wouldn't need to do that b/c they aren't buying the car. He then told me that he wouldn't help me. I told him I would be penalized if I didnt' turn it in today and that it was a fast transaction. I also told him that I lived 45 miles away and have little ones (who were with me) and it was hard for me to get down that way. He said he would talk to the manager. After a couple of minutes he came back and said no again, they couldn't help me but could if I came back the next day. I again explained that I worked and lived 45 miles away. I asked why they couldn't do it now -- telling them that I am sure they would be able to help me if I was buying a car.

Next the manager came out and said, you need to leave or I am going to call the police. I asked for his name. He took out his business card and threw it at me. I said, I don't understand why they are unwillinig to help me. I then started to explain all the problems I had had with the car over the 4 years. Based on my miles my car should have been in for maintenace 2 times -- it was in about 10 times. Each time was 3 hours round trip of my time and gas for the extra diving. I was starting to tear up and he smiled. I told him that I was doing everything I was told to do and that they could provide me customer service, but were choosing not too. I said, I don't understand why they won't just sign the odomoter form. I said that I had better treatment from VW when I owned my BMW. He told me to go back to VW, because 'I don't deserve to own a BMW.' He again said to leave or he was going to call the police. By this time my children were in tears because he was yelling at me and threatening me. We left without them ever assisting us.

The next day My brother spoke to the GM and explained the story. He never apologized and still refused to help us with the lease return. We also called BMW of north america. The rep on the phone said that they are a franchise and that corporate has no control over them. He said he would note it down, but 'don't expect a call back.' Basically, corporate doesn't care about customers being mistreated.

My brother took my car across the street from Brecht to Mercedes dealership. Who took the car, filled out the odometer form and took the keys. My brother was out the door in 5 minutes. Why did BMW refuse to help me with their own product??? I still to this day have not received any explanation. The only thing I can think of is that they were not going to make any money off of me that night so they didn't want to help. Why is there no one in the entire corporation that cares about customer service. I have emailed my story to BMW North America, BMW WorldWide, and Brecht BMW -- no attempt has been made to contact me or correct the abusive treatment I received.

Still to this day, the home page of Brecht BMW reads 'we are an authorized lease return facility'................

http://consumerist.com/consumer/deal...bmw-307874.php

fucking disgusting

Brecht BMW FTMFL

Last edited by SeCsTaC; 10-06-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
theres gotta be more to that story.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
And people complain about Acura service......

No make is perfect.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:09 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Idiots...
Old 10-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Its never a BMW owners fault that anything happens the way it does, they are always the victim
Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Its never a BMW owners fault that anything happens the way it does, they are always the victim
right and BMW can NEVAR LOSE!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
right and BMW can NEVAR LOSE!
While there are asshole BMW dealers out there and no is perfect, people make mistakes in the way they treat customers some time, BMW owners act like the victim all the time. I work for a BMW dealer and you won't believe the shit that customers pull and act like its our fault. The stereotype about asshole BMW owners is true all too often unfortunately.

If this was Infiniti you would have never even posted this.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:36 PM
styling on you

I agree theres more to the story, but seriously what could she have done to get treated like that?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Guess Infinti doesnt like their customers either, let alone stand behind their product.
http://forums.automotive.com/70/1004...dan/index.html

I could post these type of worthless stories all day long too on every make. Not sure what the hardon is to try to bash only BMW.

While there are asshole BMW dealers out there and no is perfect, people make mistakes in the way they treat customers some time, BMW owners act like the victim all the time. I work for a BMW dealer and you won't believe the shit that customers pull and act like its our fault. The stereotype about asshole BMW owners is true all too often unfortunately.

Read up on the BMW forums, some of these guys pulls so much shit with their deaers that it blows my mind.

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 10-06-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts

There must be much more to this story.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
No way that is all of the story.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree, there must be things missing here in order for this story to add up.

Also the syntax and grammar were pretty darn bad for a literary piece submitted for public consumption. Some people really should have tried harder school.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,673 Likes on 13,906 Posts
If that really did happen, it's the dealership that is retarded.

You don't bash a manufacturer for a stupid distributor.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was looking for a new car to replace the TL, I had spoken to several Lexus dealerships, a few Chevrolet dealerships (Corvette), and called 2 BMW dealerships here in Houston before I was disgusted w/the BMW shops - one sales person hung up on me while I was in the middle of telling him what I was looking for (he 1st asked for my phone number, so I know he could've called me back) and the second told me I was "silly" for stating a price for the same car my friend had purchased 11 days prior (with a credit score less than mine). BMW

that being said, I agree w/the b/c a lack of the other side of the story.

As far as bashing the manufacturer for distributors' faults, I hold BMW responsible for allowing their distributors to adopt attitudes like they have. I know the guys in the offices aren't the ones actually pissing people off, but it's their responsibility to oversee customers' and potential customers' opinion of their brand name.

Last edited by revitupwriteitoff; 10-06-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Truth be told, a dealer is more obligated to take a car back as a lease return if it was a BMW Financial Svcs lease return. If it's a 3rd party bank, they don't have to do squat. Most of them won't take it if A. you have no relationship, or B. They don't have room to store it. I deal with this nonsense all the time. When it comes to the 3rd party banks, I call them up and tell them to pick up the car from my office/lot, and they come at their leisure. I do it as a convenience for my customers. This includes taking, say, an Acura lease return and returning it to the Honda or Acura dealer of my choice. The last Chase car I had was an LS430, It expired August 17th, and they only picked the car up from me about a week ago.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm thinking there is more to the story as well. Like maybe they told her no and she got biligerent or something so they told her to leave. We may never know.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Por Favor?

Originally Posted by Shoofin
Truth be told, a dealer is more obligated to take a car back as a lease return if it was a BMW Financial Svcs lease return. If it's a 3rd party bank, they don't have to do squat. Most of them won't take it if A. you have no relationship, or B. They don't have room to store it. I deal with this nonsense all the time. When it comes to the 3rd party banks, I call them up and tell them to pick up the car from my office/lot, and they come at their leisure. I do it as a convenience for my customers. This includes taking, say, an Acura lease return and returning it to the Honda or Acura dealer of my choice. The last Chase car I had was an LS430, It expired August 17th, and they only picked the car up from me about a week ago.
Interesting. I didn't think 3rd party leasing was that common.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I've had bad experiences with BMW dealerships that I've visited but I have to agree that there is a lot more to the story. I'd like to hear it from the POV of the dealer if they ever bother to respond.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator

I have had bad experiences at many dealers of all brands.

Hell, i had a bad experiences at one dealer, then went back to the same dealer and was treated like a king.

Really depends which sales guy you talk to... sucks that the whole dealership/brand gets a bad rep from a few employees.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i had a bad experience with acura before finding my baby here on the black market haha... was supposed to get an 03 tl-p long story short we agreed on a price me n my father (title would be in his name, but i'd be paying) shook hands with the salesman came back the following day title in hand for my old car and the guy looked at us like we were retarded when we told him the price we had agreed on the day before... needless to say we walked out on them and then i found a much better deal on my tl-s .. so it all works out in the end no matter what.. .theres 2 sides to every story ... chances are the dealership was being rude to this woman, but im sure it wasnt totally unprovoked.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I call major . If you even look at the way this is written it's that "I'm the victim" bull that I hear about all the time with BMW owners. My friend works at a local BMW dealer and I pity the guy because pretty much every person who walks in there thinks their shit doesn't stink. It's pathetic and with this free maintenance road BMW is on it's only going to get worse.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Did you write this SeCsTaC?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Instructor

I don't believe a word of this. The manager "threw" his card at her and threatened to call police if she didn't leave? Yeah right.

All dealerships are hit or miss, even the luxury marques. I've been treated very well by two BMW dealers, excellent by two Acura dealers, and like crap by a Mercedes dealership. Nicest guys in the world at the local Infiniti dealer.

I do feel kind of bad for the guys at the BMW shop. Every time I take my cars in, there is an endless stream of female dogs in X3s who think they're God's gift to humanity. I'm sure they get fed up, but no way anyone at a dealer would resort to the behavior in this story.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
This is how it really went down:

Customer: I'm here to turn in my lease.
BMW: Did you buy it from us?
Customer: No.
BMW: I'm sorry, but...
Customer: (cutting BMW sales person off) No, you're wrong. Chase told me blah blah blah, me me me me me me me me. I'm right you're wrong. I demand to speak to your manager because you are too stupid to understand what I'm saying, which is why you work here and I lease a luxury car.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^^ In all seriousness, that is probably what happened.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Disinformation Terminator

"Next the manager came out and said, you need to leave or I am going to call the police. I asked for his name. He took out his business card and threw it at me. I said, I don't understand why they are unwillinig to help me. I then started to explain all the problems I had had with the car over the 4 years. Based on my miles my car should have been in for maintenace 2 times -- it was in about 10 times. Each time was 3 hours round trip of my time and gas for the extra diving. I was starting to tear up and he smiled. I told him that I was doing everything I was told to do and that they could provide me customer service, but were choosing not too. I said, I don't understand why they won't just sign the odomoter form. I said that I had better treatment from VW when I owned my BMW. He told me to go back to VW, because 'I don't deserve to own a BMW.' He again said to leave or he was going to call the police. By this time my children were in tears because he was yelling at me and threatening me. We left without them ever assisting us."

Last edited by TheMirror; 10-07-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by phile
This is how it really went down:

Customer: I'm here to turn in my lease.
BMW: Did you buy it from us?
Customer: No.
BMW: I'm sorry, but...
Customer: (cutting BMW sales person off) No, you're wrong. Chase told me blah blah blah, me me me me me me me me. I'm right you're wrong. I demand to speak to your manager because you are too stupid to understand what I'm saying, which is why you work here and I lease a luxury car.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:51 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ phile
Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The RWD thing is a bit overrated to me, the most fun I had ever driving a car was a 07 TL-S. The best part of owning a Acura amount of miles you can put on it and be stress free. I've read too many horror stores of Europeans cars that grow old at 80k,100k. That is hardly high miles for a Honda product.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by calgary2800
The RWD thing is a bit overrated to me, the most fun I had ever driving a car was a 07 TL-S. The best part of owning a Acura amount of miles you can put on it and be stress free. I've read too many horror stores of Europeans cars that grow old at 80k,100k. That is hardly high miles for a Honda product.

WTF
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Just dial 1911

So what if the owner acts like a victim, they're the fucking customer.

Simple fact is that this person tried to turn in their lease and they wouldnt do it. Seems like a pretty simple transaction to me. How do you walk into a dealer, intending on turning your lease in and flat out get denied??
Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Por Favor?

I'd always been under the impression you had to make an appointment to have the car inspected and turned in.

I don't know why they didn't take the car, but it's likely that neither parties handled the situation properly.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt

Simple fact is that this person tried to turn in their lease and they wouldnt do it. Seems like a pretty simple transaction to me. How do you walk into a dealer, intending on turning your lease in and flat out get denied??
We also called BMW of north america. The rep on the phone said that they are a franchise and that corporate has no control over them.
Besides, any decent person would've just went back to the original BMW place where he or she leased from. Oh wait....she was going to get financially penalized because she waited until the last minute to do the friggin' return. The fact that it was a time sensitive matter (not to mention the outrageous claims she's making against the BMW dealer) pretty much tells you the type of customer she was. So while the dealer is supposed to uphold to corporate values and standards, there's no doubt this woman was a complete nightmare and that was why she was turned away.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by joerockt

Because when a customer brings in their out of warrenty car for an oil change and a/c recharge and then blame me for "breaking" the passenger seat, knowing full well it didn't work when they brought it in, that person is not a victim but a douchebag. That sort of shit happens all the time at BMW dealers all over.

Also, this was a third party lease. That dealer has no obligation to take the car back as if it were a BMW financial lease.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Just dial 1911

Because when a customer brings in their out of warrenty car for an oil change and a/c recharge and then blame me for "breaking" the passenger seat, knowing full well it didn't work when they brought it in, that person is not a victim but a douchebag. That sort of shit happens all the time at BMW dealers all over.

Also, this was a third party lease. That dealer has no obligation to take the car back as if it were a BMW financial lease.
Flat out telling a customer "NO" is just asking for a confrontation.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
The experiences we had with BMW were pleasant. In fact after my dad leased a 325i the dealership sent us a free plant lol. She probably did something to cause the dealership to get angry.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Did the car look like this? Otherwise, I think we are really only hearing half the story.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by calgary2800

I see a Toyota Camry in your future.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
WTF
haha.

a little off-topic, no?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I doubt that BMW corporate would do nothing about what happened if it really went down the way it did. You guys are right there is no way someone would get treated like this for just returning a lease.

My family has returned leases from all makes without any problem, I've never seen a delearship reject a car, they even took our MDX with a broken transmission, and they also took our MDX with a good amount of body damage, and a dead battery.

Point is they will take just about any lease back, and then it goes back to Acura and they asses damages and send you a bill. Btw we never had to pay for the busted transmission, they covered about half the damages on the other MDX as well.

Quick Reply: BMW: "Go Back To VW, You Don't Deserve to own a BMW"