Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Wow....this sure went downhill fast.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Don't put words in my mouth!

I said again: " A Honda Civic will do 108mph eventually. Is that too much car too? "

What's the difference in going 108mph in a Civic vs a Vette, other than the Vette will outhandle and outstop the Civic and it will hold up better in a crash, making it the safer car at that speed.
To answer my question, so obviously you are.

Same answer as the other who compared situations involving a Prius and a Corvette. If you can't see the difference, I can't do anything for you.

Psssst, here's an hint for you; the Civic won't be able to reach the same same kind of speed in the same context. And the effect of speed is not linear but exponential.... so will be the catastrophic crash.... so is the handicap for the kid unfortunately.

Sorry you all unfortunate challengers, I won't be able to hold your hand to turn in circles for a while .... this is a vacation week, campground here I come.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor

Same answer as the other who compared situations involving a Prius and a Corvette. If you can't see the difference, I can't do anything for you.

Psssst, here's an hint for you; the Civic won't be able to reach the same same kind of speed in the same context. And the effect of speed is not linear but exponential.... so will be the catastrophic crash.... so is the handicap for the kid unfortunately.

Sorry you all unfortunate challengers, I won't be able to hold your hand to turn in circles for a while .... this is a vacation week, campground here I come.
Both cars are capable of going 108mph one will just take a little longer. It sounds like the Vette crashed at full speed with no brake application. 75mph in a Civic or 108 in a Vette are going to be nearly equal in the end. Let me guess, you're one of those guys that thinks we should all drive Priuses and anything above 65mph is unnecessary and the government should step in and protect us from ourselves.

One question, do you wear a helmet and kneepads everytime you leave your house?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate cars: don't bother. This guy has no idea what hes talking about.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
I feel for the kid, but being a z06 owner, I wouldnt hand those keys over by anymeans to a kid...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts

the vette would handle, and stop better at those speeds.. your logic fails harcore....
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by combat mediC
I feel for the kid, but being a z06 owner, I wouldnt hand those keys over by anymeans to a kid...
Wow, a voice of reason. And from a 10 year old at that!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Wow, a voice of reason. And from a 10 year old at that!
He's got to change his sig though. They didnt make the Z06 till '06. ;-)
Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
This is the same thinking behind it. Both were on a private track, but at least the kid didn't hurt anybody else. Kids will be kids and I have sympathy for the injured.

Dad is the big fat moron.

There is no link between this situation and the long and progressive learning of TALENTED athletes; they just don't get thrown artificially at that level by money and poor judgment but over years, they get gradually more powerful toys UNDER MONITORING. Totally different, whatever some retards here may think.
you get more and more stubborn as time goes by
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Agreed. I guess what I'm saying is that there was inherent risk of what he was doing, regardless of age or vehicle.
if it turns out the kid passed out...or something went wrong w/ the vehicle.....what would this conversation be about.

if it was a 50 year old who couldn't control the car and crashed...what would we be saying.

This was a drag strip.....put the foot on the gas and go straight. There are MANY 16 year olds, etc out there racing 9 sec+ cars......hell some of those junior dragsters run faster then a vette.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.... you have zero clue of that. My extreme example jsut shows that your argument doesn't hold water and that there is a limit.

So you really think that his destroyed Corvette was covered by insurance on a racetrack? That's what I was talking about. Get real.

So obvious.

Unfortunately good judgment was an option and not that many bipeds were ordered with it as we can see here.
it actually depends on the event, there are more then a few insurance companies that cover track events depending on what type of event it was
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
That wasnt her car, she stole it from her father after an argument. She never even driven it till that day...
and she had been drinking.....great argument though
Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM
The ICEMAN

There is no link between this situation and the long and progressive learning of TALENTED athletes; they just don't get thrown artificially at that level by money and poor judgment but over years, they get gradually more powerful toys UNDER MONITORING. Totally different, whatever some retards here may think.
Wait so you are saying that anyone here that has never drag raced before couldn't handle a 12.5 second car? I could see your issue if it was a car that could run in the 10's.

I jumped from a 1999 TL, to my first manual transmission car that was capable of running an 11.6 at the ripe old age of 19. I never forgot to hit the brakes at the end of the track.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
He's got to change his sig though. They didnt make the Z06 till '06. ;-)
Um, they've made the Z06 for the C5 Corvette. LS1, 400 or 405 horsepower, something like that.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by WillrunifChased
Wait so you are saying that anyone here that has never drag raced before couldn't handle a 12.5 second car? I could see your issue if it was a car that could run in the 10's.

I jumped from a 1999 TL, to my first manual transmission car that was capable of running an 11.6 at the ripe old age of 19. I never forgot to hit the brakes at the end of the track.
I don't think the transition was exactly butter-smooth, though. I doubt the majority of us that don't own cars this quick could jump out of our daily driver, hop into one, and start putting down 12s at the strip easily.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAN1
I don't think the transition was exactly butter-smooth, though. I doubt the majority of us that don't own cars this quick could jump out of our daily driver, hop into one, and start putting down 12s at the strip easily.
I can tell you my experience going from a 19 second car (yes, I ran it at the track and the 0-60 and 1/4 mile were nearly identical) to a 12 second quickly followed by mid 11s.

Things happen quicker, you re-learn your perception for speed and in an 11 second and quicker car you start paying special detail to the road crowns, paint lines, dust on the road, etc. You eventually get used to a 12 second car to where it feels like the TL after a while.

But really, it takes a couple days, a week at most. I got completely used to the 11 second feeling. The 10 second push is something that still surprises me but it's probably because I only feel it a few times a year. When I first bought the TL, I literally could not feel it accelerate when I floored it. I could watch the tach climbing but I was so numb from the GN there was no feeling of speed. After a week or so I get used to the TL again and it starts feeling decently quick.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 PM
The ICEMAN

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Who says any of us could put down 12's I am just saying we would be able to handle driving a car capable of it down the track without wrecking especially if we already owned the car for two years.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 601 Likes on 418 Posts
Sad. I feel sorry for the kid and his family.

I agree with a lot of the people here that say that the parents are really not to blame. I know if I were the parent I would have felt responsible and would probably beat the shit out of myself for the rest of my life. I am sure his parents feel that way too.

For those that say that he was too young, I do not agree. If he was driving for a while and was a good driver, then why not. His family supported him. I know a lot of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that have been in horrible car accidents. They are called accidents for a reason. Some are terrible. Hell, we have members here that have parents that probably supported them driving and racing on tracks at that age.

I think the insurance companies are doing exactly what insurance companies do. I hope the parents win the fight. If his doctors think he can improve, then I think the insurance companies need to pay up.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

And maybe if you took the time to remove your head from the paper bag blocking your view from reading what was actually wrote you might be able to answer things logically. NO WHERE was a prius ever compared to a vette. What was said asked was WOULD IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF it was a Prius that crashed? and that the SAME type of results could have occurred in the end result of the crash.