Bad accident on track involving a Vette and an 18 year old

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010 | 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TriniAcura
you would think if the parents had the 60k to buy the vette, they can pay the 1200/day doctor bill.. i feel sorry for the boy... and that's the thing.. he's a boy.. the dad should of said no to the racing..
Just because you can afford to own a 60K car doesn't mean that you can afford to dish out 1200 dollars a day! That's 8400 dollars a week and 33,600 dollars a MONTH!

Just because some can can afford to buy something expensive doesn't mean that they can just dish out money like candy!
Old 06-22-2010 | 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Saintor
Well I was and don't care about your limited view. It is the *second time* that it is explained to you.
Because it is pointless to discuss with you. Whatever the answer would have to be explained many times to you, as we just observed.
The only thing pointless is discussing things with you and your limited view. You are talking about stuff that is irrelevant to this and isnt even a issue.
You havent had to explain any thing me or any one because the only thing you keep bringing up is that the dad is to blame and that you assume he doesnt have car insurance and wont answer relevant questions
Old 06-22-2010 | 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The only thing pointless is discussing things with you and your limited view. You are talking about stuff that is irrelevant to this and isnt even a issue.
You havent had to explain any thing me or any one because the only thing you keep bringing up is that the dad is to blame and that you assume he doesnt have car insurance that cover racetrack usage and wont answer nonsense questions
Fixed for ya.

If you have to ask the difference between a Prius and a Corvette, there is not much I can do for you.

Last edited by Saintor; 06-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2010 | 09:10 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Old 06-22-2010 | 09:26 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by TriniAcura
you would think if the parents had the 60k to buy the vette, they can pay the 1200/day doctor bill.. i feel sorry for the boy... and that's the thing.. he's a boy.. the dad should of said no to the racing..
sooooo typical vette owners have 438,000 a year to spend on random bills?

the family would literally have to be millionaires to make bills like that even feasible.

wtf is going on in this thread.. people are retarded as shit.
Old 06-22-2010 | 10:25 PM
Pro

Why are you blaming car? Where does it say the car was the problem? Why couldnt this tragedy have happened in the Honda Civic Si? Would you look at the father the same way had it? Im guessing no, im guessing you would blame the car or the driver.
Very few kids at 18 have the skills to handle a car with 400 ft/lbs of torque around a race track. There definitely is a relationship between handing your teenager the keys to an expensive, fast sports car, and their tragic crash. Remember nicole catsouras's porshce toll booth crash? Here is the story (Very Graphic):

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...pictures-1248/
Old 06-22-2010 | 10:36 PM
The Dumb One

i can find 5 more of those with "normal" cars for every sports car story.

that argument is redundant.
Old 06-22-2010 | 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by turkeybaster115
Very few kids at 18 have the skills to handle a car with 400 ft/lbs of torque around a race track. There definitely is a relationship between handing your teenager the keys to an expensive, fast sports car, and their tragic crash. Remember nicole catsouras's porshce toll booth crash? Here is the story (Very Graphic):

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...pictures-1248/

That wasnt her car, she stole it from her father after an argument. She never even driven it till that day...
Old 06-22-2010 | 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
That wasnt her car, she stole it from her father after an argument. She never even driven it till that day...
why couldnt he seem to figure that out on his own? guess he didnt take the time to read the story he decided to post.
Old 06-22-2010 | 11:06 PM
Team Owner

@ what this thread turned into
Old 06-22-2010 | 11:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ts_expeed
@ what this thread turned into
+1
Old 06-23-2010 | 06:20 AM

+2

This isnt about whether or not he can handle the car. This is about his health insurance not covering his medical bills, saying that further treatment wont help him. Is he dead? No. So further treatment most likely will help him.
Old 06-23-2010 | 07:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
i can find 5 more of those with "normal" cars for every sports car story.

that argument is redundant.
Agreed 100%. Many kids don't have corvettes i'm sure, but i'm sure that more teens are killed or hurt driving normal cars everyday. I still think people here are blaming the car/parents because they don't think a 18 yo deserves such a car.

Thats not up to anyone here to decide. Fact is, it happened. Could have happened if he had a " Civic SI", and he wanted to race that. We are losing sight of the accident, and now putting blame on the parents and the car, when the fact is, no one here knows these people, his driving abilities or any other variables. There are 18 yo indy car drivers driving much faster cars in a controled setting.
Old 06-23-2010 | 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Fixed for ya.

If you have to ask the difference between a Prius and a Corvette, there is not much I can do for you.
Just quit with your idiotic posts and talk about what is actually being discussed here by others. The discussion wasnt about whether or not he had race track insurance. Only you keep arguing that like we are disagreeing with you

And please, take the time to read!! I NEVER asked you what the difference between the Prius and the Corvette. I asked YOU would it have made a difference to you had this accident occurred in one. Id be willing to bet you wouldnt be calling the father a creep for buying his son one of those.
Old 06-23-2010 | 09:29 AM
Pro

id be willing to bet you wouldnt be calling the father a creep for buying his son one of those.
+1
Old 06-23-2010 | 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Its was ment as yet another example of my Point: Kids and fast cars don't mix well, no matter which way you spin it.
Old 06-23-2010 | 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Its was ment as yet another example of my Point: Kids and fast cars don't mix well, no matter which way you spin it.
mods can we just lock this thread. its just full stupid statements like this one.
Old 06-23-2010 | 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

So because one kid goes off the handle ALL kids shouldnt be allowed? I bet for every 1 story like this there are hundreds of kids who are responsible. (and the year porsche she was driving was no more powerfull than your average accord/camry V6. guess they shouldnt be allowed to drive them either)

If a 5' tall woman kills someone crossing the street with her F150, Should we call it stupid that the woman was allowed to drive a F150,should we say it was dumb for the dealership to allow someone short to buy the F150 or maybe we should just stop people from crossing the street?

Those 3 ideas are stupid, and ignorant, just like saying every kid is irresponsible and should be stuck driving an econo car. (which they can kill themselves in just as easy)
Old 06-23-2010 | 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

There are some really retarded comments in this thread....and Goddamn I hate the media. The article is suggesting the rehab stay is not being covered because he was racing. However, the real story is the insurance thinks the kid has plateaued or won't benefit from the rehab center. Just another example of case managers deciding healthcare, not actual doctors.... I'm sure they will cover outpatient or home care to continue with his treatment (insurances will usually cover the cheaper options). That's usually the case, unless he has a real shitty insurance plan.
Old 06-23-2010 | 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by synth19
There are some really retarded comments in this thread....and Goddamn I hate the media. The article is suggesting the rehab stay is not being covered because he was racing. However, the real story is the insurance thinks the kid has plateaued or won't benefit from the rehab center. Just another example of case managers deciding healthcare, not actual doctors.... I'm sure they will cover outpatient or home care to continue with his treatment. That's usually the case unless he has a real shitty insurance plan.
Old 06-23-2010 | 10:41 AM
Pro

There are some really retarded comments in this thread....and Goddamn I hate the media. The article is suggesting the rehab stay is not being covered because he was racing. However, the real story is the insurance thinks the kid has plateaued or won't benefit from the rehab center. Just another example of case managers deciding healthcare, not actual doctors.... I'm sure they will cover outpatient or home care to continue with his treatment (insurances will usually cover the cheaper options). That's usually the case, unless he has a real shitty insurance plan.
yessir
Old 06-23-2010 | 10:50 AM

The fact he was on the track tells me he's slightly responsible, not that that has a damn thing to do with the real story here.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by p.diddy
mods can we just lock this thread. its just full stupid statements like this one.
Why is it stupid? Because its stating something that should already be obvious? Common sense isn't too common.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:07 AM
Pro

Whats wrong with Health Insurance companies thoroughly reviewing a claim? You think they'd spend $1200 per day on something they didn't get the chance to review and question? From the amount of replies to this thread, you can see that not everyone is thinking the same about this. Some want us to blame the kid, the father, the health care insurance company, the car, etc. Its controversial, so they have every right to look into it.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:17 AM
Banned

As someone with kids, and whose kids are pretty ahead of the curve on a few things, it's stupid to try to compare yours or others experiences to someone elses.

Standards are usually set to the lowest common denominator. So when something is recommended for kids or young adults not to do, keep this in mind. None of us can know what reasoning went behind the circumstances of why this kid was doing what he did, and if they were qualified to do so.

In the end, the reasoning was left up to the parents and they made the decision. It's not for me to pass judgment on that, but can only hope that they were confident in their decision and can live with the end result.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:18 AM
Pro

So because one kid goes off the handle ALL kids shouldnt be allowed?)
Never stated that. Just stating that there is a link between sports cars, and teenaged irresponsible driving.

I bet for every 1 story like this there are hundreds of kids who are responsible.
Thats like saying, why is there a speed limit in the US, since I've never had an accident going over 55 mph.

(and the year porsche she was driving was no more powerfull than your average accord/camry V6. guess they shouldnt be allowed to drive them either)
260HP to the Front wheels, or Rear wheels yeild different results. The porsche is built for pure speed, handling, and nothing else.

If a 5' tall woman kills someone crossing the street with her F150, Should we call it stupid that the woman was allowed to drive a F150, should we say it was dumb for the dealership to allow someone short to buy the F150 or maybe we should just stop people from crossing the street?
No, she is stupid for what she did, and people would state that. Your country has a speed limit, yet allows the sale of cars that can hit ~200mph. Other countries sell the same type of cars, but have no speed limit. Is your country stupid?

Those 3 ideas are stupid, and ignorant, just like saying every kid is irresponsible and should be stuck driving an econo car. (which they can kill themselves in just as easy)
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Writting this on the internet is easy, however, just a tip, there aren't too many folks with phD's on internet car forums.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Why is it stupid? Because its stating something that should already be obvious? Common sense isn't too common.
Because you made a blanket statement for all 'young people' based on one incident.
Just like already mentioned, for every one of those kinds of accidents, you could find just as many others that involved an old person, a distracted person, a short, tall, skinny, fat, black, white, male, female person.

Same goes with the car. I could find you just as many accidents involving little 100hp four bangers as you could with sports cars.

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 06-23-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
Because you made a blanket statement for all 'young people' based on one incident.
KIDS AND FAST CARS DON'T MIX WELL. Statistically, young people with fast sports cars, have the highest number of accidents, thats why their insurance costs are typically much higher.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:35 AM
Team Owner

Never stated that. Just stating that there is a link between sports cars, and teenaged irresponsible driving.
Wrong.
Teenagers generally speaking have less experience which leads to less 'intuition' if you will when approached with certain circumstances on the road. That doesn't equate to irresponsibility though.

You're basing your assumption of a link between sports cars and teenagers due to the fact that it's what you hear about. It's what reported. Do you have statistical figures for those aged 16-21 (or whatever you'd like the age group to be) who do in fact have sports cars but HAVEN'T been in accidents, or been irresponsible with them? No. A news reporter isn't going to go to your local Chevy dealer and declare BREAKING NEWS because a 16 year old's father is buying him a Corvette. Or because 'Wow! This teenager went his first 5 years with a license and sports car without a ticket!!!'.

My father carpooled with a guy he works with once, about 6 years ago since the airport is about 40 miles away or so, and they found out they live relatively close to each other. The other guy was about 45 or so and apparently just went through a mid life crisis. He had just recently bought himself a new Corvette as well. By your logic, he should be 'oh so responsible'. Instead though, he was zipping through the toll road around 90-100mph. My father never rode with him again because of his crazy driving. Doesn't matter what age you are. There are just as many numbnuts out there who aren't teenagers and do stupid things.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

dont think i need to repsond. it looks like ts_expeed answered back to yet another stupid comment from you.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

LIke what? Ive seen more reports of kids street racing and dying with Civics than Corvettes. I would not call a Civic a sports car.

Thats like saying, why is there a speed limit in the US, since I've never had an accident going over 55 mph.
Thats exactly the same thing you are saying though. You are lumping ALL teens and sports cars.

260HP to the Front wheels, or Rear wheels yeild different results. The porsche is built for pure speed, handling, and nothing else.
But none the less 260hp is 260hp. RWD vs FWD had NOTHING to do with the girl in the porsche crashing. She could have crashed the same way in a camry!

No, she is stupid for what she did, and people would state that. Your country has a speed limit, yet allows the sale of cars that can hit ~200mph. Other countries sell the same type of cars, but have no speed limit. Is your country stupid?

My example of what if was just to show the same thing you were trying to defend. What if the kid were 20, maybe 30 or 40? Would it have made a difference? Would we be calling his parents stupid at that point? We dont know what happened in the accident but every one was there judging that it was his age that caused it without knowing what caused it! Every one is saying that its stupid to let someone of his age have one, which is just as stupid as what i said (which i would never agree with)

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Writting this on the internet is easy, however, just a tip, there aren't too many folks with phD's on internet car forums.
And no one needs someone with a PHD on the forums. The original topic should have been that it was a sad situation. Many went off blaming the parents, car and his age instead. NO ONE knows what happened and blaming one of the above is just dumb without knowing what happened. Should we just shoot "suspected" criminals without all the information or should we look into it a little further BEFORE making assumptions? Many here are shooting first!

Last edited by fsttyms1; 06-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

KIDS AND FAST CARS DON'T MIX WELL. Statistically, young people with fast sports cars, have the highest number of accidents, thats why their insurance costs are typically much higher.
Id bet the statistics show that kids in general regardless of sports cars or not are higher to insure. I bet the ratio is 10 fold for those that have average cars like Civics and 4 cyl Eclipses vs those with Corvettes/M3s etc...
Old 06-23-2010 | 12:19 PM
Banned

I see more four-door sedans and light trucks doing 100+ on the interstate than I do sports cars.

Just saying.
Old 06-23-2010 | 01:18 PM
Pro

Ok.

Where are your statistics? Please show me the truth behind that statement. Are these turkeybaster stats or somthing real? Please continue........

Last edited by Fireguy0826; 06-23-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 01:20 PM
Pro

Turkeybaster-

Define " fast sports car " , i'm really looking forward to what you have to say. I would like to see some evidence of you claims.
Old 06-23-2010 | 02:01 PM
The Dumb One

i guess joey lagano should just shut the fuck up and quit nascar because he is a "kid"..

what terrible parents he has to let him race in a professional league all throughout his teenage years...

i guess Nascar is irresponsible for letting him drive a car that goes 200+ mph and has 800 hp.

his 20th birthday was 3 weeks ago..

your statements about young people and sports cars are retarded.. go sit on a bear trap somewhere..

Last edited by Rockstar21; 06-23-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 03:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by p.diddy
dont think i need to repsond. it looks like ts_expeed answered back to yet another stupid comment from you.
You guys can't make any more logical arguements without resorting childish insults, like: "stupid". The problem is, I've been to florida. Not a state with the brightest kids thats for sure. Anyway no need to waste my time with you, the cubans will run y'all into the gutter, and cocaine you up.

This is the last post I will make to this pathetic thread. My condolences to the family, as I've stated in my first post. And as for all our american geniuses, that chimed in, lets just say that if the last ten years in our country has been any indication, our self proclaimed intellecutal community can obviously still find new lows.

Last edited by turkeybaster115; 06-23-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

You guys can't make any more logical arguements without resorting childish insults, like: "stupid". The problem is, I've been to florida. Not a state with the brightest kids thats for sure. Anyway no need to waste my time with you, the cubans will run y'all into the gutter, and cocaine you up.

This is the last post I will make to this pathetic thread. My condolences to the family, as I've stated in my first post. And as for all our american geniuses, that chimed in, lets just say that if the last ten years in our country has been any indication, our self proclaimed intellecutal community can obviously still find new lows.
good thing im not from florida. based on your posts stupid is the best word to describe them. have a nice day. thanks for stopping by. oh yea and on the stuff about cubans and cocaine the word ignorant fits you better.

Last edited by p.diddy; 06-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2010 | 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, because with posts like this you truly show you are the Intellectual person here
Old 06-23-2010 | 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, because with posts like this you truly show you are the Intellectual person here

Quick Reply: Bad accident on track involving a Vette and an 18 year old