Auto Memorabilia

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Auto Memorabilia

I don't think we've ever discussed this.

Anyway, we're all car guy/gals here (for the most part), and like most enthusiasts, we like stuff car related in addition to cars we have. As far as auto memorabilia goes, what does everyone have for their collections? What interests you? What would you like to have? Why?

As for me, I collect old gas pumps and Ford/Shelby/Ferrari related stuff. Old magazines and publications and anything associated with the cars and manufacturers I like. I also like to collect anything mechanically related to my interests as well. Surprisingly, I only have one model. For some reason those never really appealed to me.

License plates. That's another. I try to attend farm estate auctions when I can, and at times come home with a nice collection of license plates that the previous owner has collected for decades.

How about you guys? Whatcha have? What would you like to have?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I just want the darn cars!

As a result, I have multiple guides to cars I want to own and shop/repair manuals for cars I've owned.

Otherwise, the only non-literature "memorabilia" in my possession are three plastic models (not yet completed, even after 20+ years) and some broken or replacement parts for my cars.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I have a ton of Davey Allison stuff that i collected throughout the years.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been collecting die-cast models since I was a kid.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
An old John Player Special Lotus F1 jacket. Other than the Lotus and JPS logos, it resembles a "Members Only" jacket.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have some die-cast models, boxes upon boxes of "old" (think 2003 and later) car brochures in storage, and a few trinkets from auto shows (like the plastic New Beetles VW gave away when the Convertible model had just come out)
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 AM
registered pw

Originally Posted by dallison
I have a ton of Davey Allison stuff that i collected throughout the years.
I have glasses, model cars, matchboxes, t-shirts, autographs, flags, a can of beans, country time lemonade, and anything else they plastered davey allison on also. I clipped out the race weekend stuff too from the seasons he raced. He was a hero and i surrounded myself with his memorabilia. A couple years ago one of his old cars from the winston was being sold. I didn't have the extra 50k to spend on that one.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
its not memorobilia now, but i have a sweet lego lamborighini. It will be cool in 30 years
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Besides an AcuraZine shirt .. not much

I have old emblems / front plate off my 3G TL .. I'll miss that car.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have glasses, model cars, matchboxes, t-shirts, autographs, flags, a can of beans, country time lemonade, and anything else they plastered davey allison on also. I clipped out the race weekend stuff too from the seasons he raced. He was a hero and i surrounded myself with his memorabilia. A couple years ago one of his old cars from the winston was being sold. I didn't have the extra 50k to spend on that one.

What's the item that's most special to you? The piece that you treasure above all else?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matchbox

I have been collecting them since I was like less than 5 years old. Instead of smashing them into each other, I actually kept them in good condition in their card board box. The best ones were the ones from the 60's/70's made in England (Lesney), and the 80's ones made in Macau/HongKong; they were all real alloy metals with great details. Nowadays, Matchbox is worse than Hotwheels, all plastic and bad worksmanship.

oh, lately I have also started collecting Transformers that turn into real licensed cars, Alternators
Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
registered pw

Originally Posted by teranfon
What's the item that's most special to you? The piece that you treasure above all else?

Oh wow, i would really have to think about that.

I know the two things that i really treasure out of the whole collection are an autographed t-shirt and a picture card that he signed and sent to me.

The t-shirt was my first real encounter with a driver. I met davey, neil bonnet and sterling Marlin on a Saturday afternoon.

I had a picture that my gram took of me waiting for them to sign my items when i was 14 or 15 years old. But the t-shirt that davey signed 20 years ago is still my favorite.
I had sent him a paper that i had to write for a high school class that was about him winning daytona.

I had asked him to send something to me to show that he had received it. In his handwriting on the outside envelope it had my address and i think his return address but i can't remember. He sent a signed in gold picture card that is safely tucked away to avoid any bends.

I was a Ford fan back in the day when the cars actually mattered. I also have a bobby allison daytona 500 winner t-shirt that i need to send to alabama to get signed.

They are favorites not b/c they are autographed, but there is a story behind them that really meaned something to me.

Every once in a while when i go to a pocono race i will hang my converted bedsheet sign over the railing in the front row;

"gone but not forgotten"

I like the front row seats b/c it's louder and you are closer to teh action, but you can't really see much of the track. One year i will visit talladega.

Last edited by dallison; 04-25-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
and WHY dont we have a thread in the Sports Sub-forum for NASCAR?

i thought i was alone! lol

and on meeting Sterling Marlin.
one of the drivers my dad loved.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Oh wow, i would really have to think about that.

I know the two things that i really treasure out of the whole collection are an autographed t-shirt and a picture card that he signed and sent to me.

The t-shirt was my first real encounter with a driver. I met davey, neil bonnet and sterling Marlin on a Saturday afternoon.

I had a picture that my gram took of me waiting for them to sign my items when i was 14 or 15 years old. But the t-shirt that davey signed 20 years ago is still my favorite.
I had sent him a paper that i had to write for a high school class that was about him winning daytona.

I had asked him to send something to me to show that he had received it. In his handwriting on the outside envelope it had my address and i think his return address but i can't remember. He sent a signed in gold picture card that is safely tucked away to avoid any bends.

I was a Ford fan back in the day when the cars actually mattered. I also have a bobby allison daytona 500 winner t-shirt that i need to send to alabama to get signed.

They are favorites not b/c they are autographed, but there is a story behind them that really meaned something to me.

Every once in a while when i go to a pocono race i will hang my converted bedsheet sign over the railing in the front row;

"gone but not forgotten"

I like the front row seats b/c it's louder and you are closer to teh action, but you can't really see much of the track. One year i will visit talladega.

Wow, is that ever a cool story. I like the part where he took the time to write you back. There are very few famous people that realize the profound effect they can have on someone who respects them. I imagine that will be something you treasure forever.

I've got quite a numbers of things, but I entirely agree with you that the most important things are those we identify with a particular time and place. Whether signed or not, it's the experience that's important. I remember a few years ago spending some time with Carroll Shelby and Edsel Ford. We spent a few minutes talking about Ford, the direction the company was taking, the current Mustang, Carroll's foundation. When we we're finished talking, I asked both men to sign a shirt that was presented to me. Both Carroll and Edsel signed, with Carroll taking my hand in both of his and saying something to me. What was said will remain private, but I remember feeling both humbled and honoured. I'll never forget what was said. It's those moments that are most important.

This is one of my favourite things:

Anyway, thanks for sharing the story.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a ton of Davey die-cast stuff, he was my favorite driver. After he was killed I jumped on the Swervin Irvan bandwagon. The #28 was my car. I was at MIS when Ernie just about bought it. I have lots of #28 die-cast.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:42 PM
registered pw

Wow! that's great that you have had communication with these guys and many others that we don't know about. That is priceless.
Originally Posted by teranfon
Wow, is that ever a cool story. I like the part where he took the time to write you back. There are very few famous people that realize the profound effect they can have on someone who respects them. I imagine that will be something you treasure forever.

I've got quite a numbers of things, but I entirely agree with you that the most important things are those we identify with a particular time and place. Whether signed or not, it's the experience that's important. I remember a few years ago spending some time with Carroll Shelby and Edsel Ford. We spent a few minutes talking about Ford, the direction the company was taking, the current Mustang, Carroll's foundation. When we we're finished talking, I asked both men to sign a shirt that was presented to me. Both Carroll and Edsel signed, with Carroll taking my hand in both of his and saying something to me. What was said will remain private, but I remember feeling both humbled and honoured. I'll never forget what was said. It's those moments that are most important.

This is one of my favourite things:

Anyway, thanks for sharing the story.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
registered pw

Yup, anyone who drove the #28 was ok in my book, but no one ever drove like davey before his pocono acident. July 13th 1993 was a very difficult day. I still don't have a normal favorite. I like certain drivers for their drive to win, driving style and their fan friendliness. Carl edwards comes to mind.

Originally Posted by swami
I have a ton of Davey die-cast stuff, he was my favorite driver. After he was killed I jumped on the Swervin Irvan bandwagon. The #28 was my car. I was at MIS when Ernie just about bought it. I have lots of #28 die-cast.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yup, anyone who drove the #28 was ok in my book, but no one ever drove like davey before his pocono acident. July 13th 1993 was a very difficult day. I still don't have a normal favorite. I like certain drivers for their drive to win, driving style and their fan friendliness. Carl edwards comes to mind.

What were your feelings when Robert Yates sold Davey's 92' Daytona winning 28 about a year ago? To be honest, I'm a little surprised in was ever sold. Personally, I would have liked to see it donated to a motorsports museum of some sort.

Sorry for taking the thread somewhat offtopic guys. Good stuff that everyone that everyone has mentioned.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM
registered pw

I was disappointed, i also thought it would have sold for more. The other surprising thing was that they had the incorrect numbers on the side.
Maybe he was just letting go but either way, it gave me the chills. I didn't think that a car like that would have ever been sold.

His winston car that ended up on his roof was sold a few years ago, i would have loved to have that.

You are correct, that car should have been in a museum. I would say the HOF one in charlotte would be very appropriate.

There was a saying that Davey had in is office and i'm not a religious person, it said, " there's nothing that'll come up today that me and the good lord can't handle"

It wa something like that, but that saying has gotten me through a few things.

Last edited by dallison; 04-25-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have quite a few keychains, which are sort of car related. Basically, if I take a trip somewhere, I'll get a couple of postcards and a keychain. Other than that, I have a few sales brochures I've kept over the years and a few diecast cars. After finding out about Couch straps from a Truth About Cars article, I'm kind of tempted to get an old Mustang trunk liner guitar strap ( http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/the...trap-p-82.html ).