Audi A5 2.0T is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
Personally I have no problem paying a couple thousand more for better materials (or in my example of the SHAWD and the A4....$500-$1200 difference). When you look over at the TL and TSX forums all you see generally is quality complaints ie: poor leather, speakers blown, premature break wear, windshield mouldings flying off etc etc.
One guy over in the TL forum today just drove home from the dealer with his new car and had one blown speaker, one rattling speaker and pulsating brakes and has to take it back after a few hours of ownership. Needless to say this leaves a bad taste in his new car experience and overall affects his driving experience. This is also a big difference between a premium brand and a luxury brand though and the reason for a couple thousand dollar difference.
To be fair, if you go to Audiworld or Audizine, you'll read countless threads about the low speed steering wheel shudder and the high-speed steering wheel vibration. There are also complaints about blown speakers with the B&O sound system. I don't think these types of flaws are isolated to Acuras.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Not just a smell

...This is also a big difference between a premium brand and a luxury brand though and the reason for a couple thousand dollar difference.
Other than Lexus, Tier 1 luxury brands have a history of questionable build quality and reliability. And it was only because of Lexus that the other brands started to make better cars. If Lexus hadn't come along, I'd wager that they'd still be making crap with the well worn excuse "a [insert Tier 1 brand here] <YOUR 1 brand Tier>is not an appliance".

...So when people really say that A4/A5 2.0T is overpriced, overweight and underpowered.......against its competitors it really is exaggerated and in most cases false .......IMHO of course and not everyone elses.
What? Are these people Moog, Sly, et all who have bitched for years that the TSX is pathetic with its ~200HP 4 banger?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:53 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
To be fair, if you go to Audiworld or Audizine, you'll read countless threads about the low speed steering wheel shudder and the high-speed steering wheel vibration. There are also complaints about blown speakers with the B&O sound system. I don't think these types of flaws are isolated to Acuras.

I wouldn't expect ANY new car to be completely free of flaws. Its just that some are more publicized, and some are relatively unknown to people, other than the owners that experience said problems.

Originally Posted by Fishy
Other than Lexus, Tier 1 luxury brands have a history of questionable build quality and reliability. And it was only because of Lexus that the other brands started to make better cars. If Lexus hadn't come along, I'd wager that they'd still be making crap with the well worn excuse "a [insert Tier 1 brand here] <YOUR 1 brand Tier>is not an appliance".

What? Are these people Moog, Sly, et all who have bitched for years that the TSX is pathetic with its ~200HP 4 banger?
My sister's ES350 isn't even a first-year model and it had coolant leaks on two separate occasions. I noticed small puddles of red fluid on the garage floor after she left and didn't wanna deal with it myself so we had to send it to the dealer for a fix.... twice. They were great about dealing with it though. They gave her an almost-equivalent ES350 which is more than what some dealers *cough*Acura*cough* will give to their customers. Like it has been mentioned.... you can't generalize ANY vehicle manufacturer, especially with Toyota's reliability slipping as of late.

While I still think it's overpriced, the current tune/setup for the 2.0T offers it around 200hp, but a nice 260lb/ft of torque, which seems like double of what the TSX puts out. But then again, the TSX weighs several hundred pounds less and costs a couple thousand less to begin with, while at the same time offering xenons standard.

I agree. Everyone has their own wants/needs in a car and everyone also perceives value differently.

Personally I have no problem paying a couple thousand more for better materials (or in my example of the SHAWD and the A4....$500-$1200 difference). When you look over at the TL and TSX forums all you see generally is quality complaints ie: poor leather, speakers blown, premature break wear, windshield mouldings flying off etc etc.
One guy over in the TL forum today just drove home from the dealer with his new car and had one blown speaker, one rattling speaker and pulsating brakes and has to take it back after a few hours of ownership. Needless to say this leaves a bad taste in his new car experience and overall affects his driving experience. This is also a big difference between a premium brand and a luxury brand though and the reason for a couple thousand dollar difference.

Why would you compare the A5 3.2L to the 328ix coupe when the 2.0T would still outperform (or equal its performance) at a cheaper price?
I agree that the 3.2L is not a great value and this is probably the reason why VAG is phasing out that engine. I can see that most people especially in NA are still stuck on the fact that if you pay a certain amount for a car you must have a certain amount of cylinders even if that smaller engine (ie 2.0T) can still outperform or equal its 6cyl competitors. Personally i wouldnt care if I had a Singer sewing machine engine in my car as long has it still performed equal too or better than the competitors 6 or 8 cyl etc..
You wouldn't mind a sewing machine exhaust note? I hope you're not serious, because personally if I was paying $45,000 for a luxury car I'd rather not have it sound like a Dodge Neon whenever I accelerate to pass. As for the NSX, I agree with you. it was overpriced especially at the end of its lifespan.... BUT it sounds excellent for a V6.

For the 3rd and hopefully last time, I'm comparing the A5 3.2 because the A5 2.0T isn't available yet on Audi's website. Unless there's some secret combination I have to press on my NES controller to get it to show up...

Now why would you compare the 328ix to the A5 2.0T? I understand its for the sake of apples-to-apples comparison but that's like comparing an A4 FWD 2.0 to a 328i RWD. The FWD does no real favors for the A4's performance compared to the A4 Quattro, as the AWD doesn't really benefit the 328xi compared to the 328i. This is probably why (again, going by Audi USA's build-your-Audi site) the A5 isn't even available with FWD. I can imagine more Audi buyers going with the Quattro variant than the FWD in the previous generation, as I can also imagine more BMW owners going with the RWD layout versus spending more for the xDrive (in any generation for that matter), not to mention most magazines usually compare an AWD Audi with a RWD BMW or MB.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
For the 3rd and hopefully last time, I'm comparing the A5 3.2 because the A5 2.0T isn't available yet on Audi's website. Unless there's some secret combination I have to press on my NES controller to get it to show up...
Go to Edmunds if you want to price out the 2010 A5 2.0T. Audi is a bit slow with updating their website. Either that, or they think it will easier to sell the remaining 2009s if they try to keep the 2010s a secret.

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Now why would you compare the 328ix to the A5 2.0T? I understand its for the sake of apples-to-apples comparison but that's like comparing an A4 FWD 2.0 to a 328i RWD. The FWD does no real favors for the A4's performance compared to the A4 Quattro, as the AWD doesn't really benefit the 328xi compared to the 328i. This is probably why (again, going by Audi USA's build-your-Audi site) the A5 isn't even available with FWD. I can imagine more Audi buyers going with the Quattro variant than the FWD in the previous generation, as I can also imagine more BMW owners going with the RWD layout versus spending more for the xDrive (in any generation for that matter), not to mention most magazines usually compare an AWD Audi with a RWD BMW or MB.
If the highest performance variants of the two manufacturers are compared, it should be RWD for BMW and AWD for Audi. For some people, including me, the comparison between the A5 and 328 xi is most useful because RWD is not practical in the snowbelt.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i optioned out a 328 RWD coupe and A5 2.0T the way i would want them and they came out very close in price. i would take the A5 over a 328 anyday.

the current APR stage1 tune for the 2.0T is something like
stock ............ tuned
211hp .......... 230-235hp
258lb/tq ....... 323-333lb/tq
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
i optioned out a 328 RWD coupe and A5 2.0T the way i would want them and they came out very close in price. i would take the A5 over a 328 anyday.

the current APR stage1 tune for the 2.0T is something like
stock ............ tuned
211hp .......... 230-235hp
258lb/tq ....... 323-333lb/tq

Keep in mind the 328 is underated and putting down around 200whp/210wtq

Whereas the 2.0t takes a good amount loss through the drivetrain with the quattro system. My guess a chipped 2.0t puts down maybe 210whp/280wtq? Anyone have a real dyno of one with a chip? Not a dyno from a vendor...

So the 2.0t even when modded, isnt that much faster. But it sure does have lot more low end to putz around town.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I still would only really consider the 3.2 A5 personally, but it is also waaaaaay overpriced IMO.....
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I still would only really consider the 3.2 A5 personally, but it is also waaaaaay overpriced IMO.....
The 3.2L is a dog and they killed that engine across all model lines.

That being said, the 2.0T has been tested by several places to be as quick as the 3.2L (or near enough as to make no difference in Clarkson-speak).
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by charliemike
The 3.2L is a dog and they killed that engine across all model lines.

That being said, the 2.0T has been tested by several places to be as quick as the 3.2L (or near enough as to make no difference in Clarkson-speak).
I think the S4 spelled the death of the 3.2. Similarly equipped, the 09 A4 3.2 is less than $5k cheaper than the 2010 S4, meaning that the 3.2 would have a market of about three people.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
wanna bet? I bet you that stock S4 is going to be around $45k-47k.
I see on the Audi USA website that you still cant build an S4 but they have released the base price at $45,900

Have you heard anymore on package prices yet or standard features? I think your going to be selling alot of these this year if you can get them. This is a awesome deal and better performance compared to the 335i IMO.

What surprised me also is on the brochure where Audi has stated the S4 goes from 0-60 in 4.9s and Audi is usually always conservative when it comes to performance numbers like that.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The 2.0t is better on gas and only a few simple mods away from hanging right on with the 3.2 FSI. And of course the $4k lower base price is win too. Nice move Audi.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Pro

Have you heard anymore on package prices yet or standard features? I think your going to be selling alot of these this year if you can get them. This is a awesome deal and better performance compared to the 335i IMO.
If you search online, you can find the S4 ordering guide. Although prices for the option packages haven't been released yet, the ordering guide provides a list of the standard features and available options.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Hey S14,

From your dealership website, it looks like you guys may have an AT S5 on the lot...
I am going to be in LA (Downtown) for a day in two weeks. I may have to come by and take it for a spin. I am getting dicked around by my local dealership as far as test driving one...