Is anyone else bothered by convertible M3s or just me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002 | 04:28 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Is anyone else bothered by convertible M3s or just me?

My friend has a 98 M3 convertible and I am seeing more and more of the new convertible M3s around and I just can't understand it!

I've tried to no avail to explain to my girlfriend that I don't believe a car that is supposed to be a performance model should come in a convertible and that I would never buy one with the drop top. Of course, being a girl she has no appreciation for my thoughts and would be twice as happy to have the drop top.

But, seeing all of these yuppies driving around in new drop top M3s I just feel like pulling them over, shaking them and asking them if they even have a clue about the car they are driving. Hell, I don't think my friend has ever even run his M3 hard. But, I think it's what his materialistic wife wanted--the top of the line 328 just wasn't enough (although I do have to laugh at how many times she has damaged the car running into poles etc. causing HUGE repair bills!!! Plus, their wheels were stolen a couple of months after they got the car and, believe it or not, they didn't even have wheel locks on the wheels! I mean come on--are these people deserving of such a car?

Isn't a convertible 330 enough? Can't they just leave the M3 to be a performance car and not a tanning salon? I swear I see 4 convertible new model M3s to every one hard top.

What do you all think?

I know I would never buy that car in a drop top.
Old 01-06-2002 | 04:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Who cares, let them drive what they want....there is a guy around me with a 98 Viper GTS, he's like 60+. I see him all the time and trust me, he doesn't drive fast- "ever."

Does that mean he shouldn't have one? Of course not, he paid for it....he could plant flowers in it if he chooses.

I think the problem is that sometimes people get jealous of others who have nice cars that don't appreciate them, buy them because they are the most $ model, or don't ever take advantage of its capabilities.

I could care less, as long as its not my $$....they can have a 360Modena and run it into the ground for all I care.

Myself, I would get an M3 coupe over the convertible.....just think it looks better, and cheaper to boot.

Old 01-06-2002 | 04:45 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

I took this pic while I was at southbeach, and let me tell ya, I am not bothered at all.
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:10 PM
Banned

I like the vert M3s... if I wouldn't be living in a Winter wonderland right now, I'd have one. Tanning salons kick ass! Lotts hotties there... Whew...
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:11 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i only look carefully at cars when i am buying or leasing , i mean its nice to look at one and all, but who cares
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Dude yer crazy, drop m3 is sooooo sweet. One of the coolest cars on the face of the earth.
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:13 PM
Racer

I would never buy a convertible M3. I don't even think BMW should make it. They already have the M roadster. The new M3 convertible is 366lbs heavier than the coupe.
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by frederix
I would never buy a convertible M3. I don't even think BMW should make it. They already have the M roadster. The new M3 convertible is 366lbs heavier than the coupe.
So I guess that would make it only as fast as an m5. Your right that would suck...
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by mattg

So I guess that would make it only as fast as an m5. Your right that would suck...
All I care about is performance
Old 01-06-2002 | 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

If that's true, sell your car and buy a wrx.
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:06 PM
Racer

Originally posted by mattg
If that's true, sell your car and buy a wrx.
I thought about it but I think I'll wait for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII.
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:12 PM
The Creator

i prefer the coupe.
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:33 PM
Old timer

Convertible sports cars are for posers (like rap stars and rich people who know shit about cars but want to look "cool"). But hey, they keep the economy rolling when they buy them, so more power to 'em.
Old 01-06-2002 | 06:34 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Damn that red coupe looks sweeeeeeeeeet!

Save the Beverly Hills 90210 convertible for the 330.
Old 01-06-2002 | 07:00 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by frederix
YOu guys are purests. If you can sell it, make it.
Old 01-06-2002 | 07:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Call me a FanBoy

I WOULD SPORT ANYTHING other than that hardtop Roadster that had an M on it LOL
Old 01-06-2002 | 07:47 PM
Advanced

Drop tops are sick....what about the Sl 55 , its drop top aint it?

Every sports car offers a drop top..well most of them...
even the 360 Spider..has a drop top right?
Old 01-06-2002 | 08:07 PM
Banned

Like verts alot... I wish more cars had hard top verts like the Mercedes... something. I forget... But thats what I like. Do they have after market conversion kits for verts? From a fabric top to a hardtop thingy?
Old 01-06-2002 | 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

It was in some motor mag (don't remember which one), but they said the M3 with convertible hardware dropped the performance to 330 coupe levels. They recomended if you want the rag top, go with the 330 convert.

But face it, the 3 series sucks. Save up for the 5 series, then you get the true BMW build quality and performance.
Old 01-06-2002 | 08:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

[i]
But face it, the 3 series sucks. Save up for the 5 series, then you get the true BMW build quality and performance. [/B]
What are you talking about...except for the 540i and M5, the 5series shares the same engines as the 325 and 330. Both series are built in Germany (same company, same quality, same technology).

I would still get an M3 over the M5...their performance numbers are very similar, plus I'm not that interested in having a 4 door. The $20k in savings is nice also.
Old 01-06-2002 | 08:58 PM
Pro

Originally posted by fast_daddy_car
But face it, the 3 series sucks. Save up for the 5 series, then you get the true BMW build quality and performance.

The E46 is a very nice car, and most people here will agree on that.

As for the M3 convertible, I didn't think that the last M3 cabrio was up to ///M levels, especially with auto. As for the E46 cabrios, I think that a 330 would be a better solution for people who just want a fast convertible. It is cheaper and has less of an edge. The E46 cabrio is pretty stiff for a convetible, and pretty good with a strut brace. It makes sense for BMW to make it. But, the TRUE M enthusiast would opt for the coupe, stiffer, lighter and a better race car. Remember that ///M stands for Motorsport. How many race cars have power retractable soft tops?

That said, it is fun as hell to drive, handles very well and is fast.
Old 01-06-2002 | 10:52 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Re: Is anyone else bothered by convertible M3s or just me?

Originally posted by JZ
My friend has a 98 M3 convertible and I am seeing more and more of the new convertible M3s around and I just can't understand it!
I think you should relax and perhaps find something a tad more relevant to worry about...don't get all worked up over someone ELSE's car..jeez...
Old 01-07-2002 | 09:12 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by JRock
Convertible sports cars are for posers (like rap stars and rich people who know shit about cars but want to look "cool"). But hey, they keep the economy rolling when they buy them, so more power to 'em.
i bought a Mustang convert with all the trimmings, and i don't consider myself a poser...im not a rap star...im not rich...and i know a fair amount bout cars...and im not lookin to show off either...if i can afford a convert sports car and enjoy the experience of a convert, y not...to each his own, right?? try not to overgeneralize and judge like that...im 24 years old and am always looking for a fun car to drive.

i personally like M3 convert b/c it offers the enjoyment of crusin down the beach baskin in the sun while offering the power and performance of an M at the same time...is it worth the $$, that's another story alltogether
Old 01-07-2002 | 09:29 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Scooter

i bought a Mustang convert with all the trimmings, and i don't consider myself a poser...im not a rap star...im not rich...and i know a fair amount bout cars...and im not lookin to show off either...if i can afford a convert sports car and enjoy the experience of a convert, y not...to each his own, right?? try not to overgeneralize and judge like that...im 24 years old and am always looking for a fun car to drive.

i personally like M3 convert b/c it offers the enjoyment of crusin down the beach baskin in the sun while offering the power and performance of an M at the same time...is it worth the $$, that's another story alltogether
When we were talking about sports cars we were talking about real ones that also happen to come in convertible versions. Those would be Corvettes, Benzes, M3, etc.

Personally I think calling a Mustang a "sports car" is highly debatable unless it's a Mustang R. Any other Mustang is an everyday car (from muscle car lineage) and unless you've modded the hell out of it, can't really be a sports car because it lacks performance, IMO.

But yes, definitely to each his own. I couldn't care less what other people buy... just keep buying so the economy has a chance to dig itself out of this slump.
Old 01-07-2002 | 10:04 AM
'Cooter

When we were talking about sports cars we were talking about real ones that also happen to come in convertible versions. Those would be Corvettes, Benzes, M3, etc.
sorry...guess the Mustang is more the poor man's sports car

altho the stock GT is pretty quick, quicker by bout half a second over the stock CL-S.
Old 01-07-2002 | 10:32 AM
Old timer

Well if you put it in the "sports car" category, it's probably the weakest performer, but if you just compare it by price or with close competition like sports sedans, then yeah it's pretty good.
Old 01-07-2002 | 11:48 AM
BMW Owner

The roofless M3 is definitely not the performance model the coupe is. In fact, convertibles aren't even allowed at BMWCCA track events, so most (all?) M3 cab owners aren't buying it for sport.

They buy it for the same reason people buy 911 cabs and 360 spyders: it's a good-looking car that goes fast and is a ton of fun on winding roads, especially with the top down. But track stars they definitely aren't.
Old 01-07-2002 | 04:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

EVO Sept 2001
quote: "Despite a snug hood which manages to keep wind noise
to a minimum and does a good impersonation of a hard-top most
of the time, when that dream road snakes out into the distance,
distractions like scuttle shake and compromised steering become
a nagging reminder that the coupe is still the M3 to have."

I'd have to agree.
Old 01-08-2002 | 12:27 AM
Advanced

Although it seems that many members here can afford to have 2 cars both monetarily and convenience-wise, some people can only have one and make compromises. I personally think that the M3 convert is the ideal car to have since I could only have one car (primarily b/c of parking). You get some of the M-performance with seating for 4 and a drop-top. When I move out to the 'burbs, I'll probably have 2-3 cars but till then, space only allows one. Temporarily at least, that one is a CLS but I forsee a 330ci or hopefully an M3 convert within 18 months. Now only if the stock market would make at least a partial rebound! --eyeguy
Old 01-08-2002 | 12:31 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by eyeguy
Although it seems that many members here can afford to have 2 cars both monetarily and convenience-wise, some people can only have one and make compromises. I personally think that the M3 convert is the ideal car to have since I could only have one car (primarily b/c of parking). You get some of the M-performance with seating for 4 and a drop-top.
I was unaware it was a necessity for people to have both a drop-top and a daily driver, or a drop-top and a sports car, and therefore a need to combine both into one car. Interesting.
Old 01-08-2002 | 07:00 AM
'Cooter

I was unaware it was a necessity for people to have both a drop-top and a daily driver, or a drop-top and a sports car, and therefore a need to combine both into one car. Interesting.
some people just want the drop-top...and i don't blame em...personally, i think the Mustang GT looks better top-down than coupe...is wasn't easy for me to give up a drop-top sports car for the CL-S, and yes, the Mustang GT is a sports car in addition to being a daily driver IMO.
Old 01-08-2002 | 07:01 AM
'Cooter

and guess what, for $30K, i get a drop-top, sports car, and daily driver...3-in-1...how's that for value??
Old 01-08-2002 | 08:38 AM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Whether or not the M3 drop-top performs worse on the track is really a moot point because most owners will never see a track. If you're hardcore enough go buy the M3 GTR.
Old 01-08-2002 | 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tuRb0mikEy
Whether or not the M3 drop-top performs worse on the track is really a moot point because most owners will never see a track. If you're hardcore enough go buy the M3 GTR.
GTR? Where? Even if that V8 version comes out, it won't be cheap, probably near the $100k mark. At that point, why even bother with an M3, pick up a Lotus Esprite/Viper/Used Ferrari/NSX
Old 01-08-2002 | 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Scooter
and guess what, for $30K, i get a drop-top, sports car, and daily driver...3-in-1...how's that for value??
hehe and dont forget the 1000W sound system that mustang comes with.
Old 01-08-2002 | 11:05 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by tuRb0mikEy
DUDE, where the hell is all this pre-judgment coming from??? has it spread board-wise or something???...don't presume drop-top M3'ers will never take the car to the track...don't presume they're so anal they'll take it out once or twice a year in perfect weather...don't presume anything b/c the fact is u don't know...a guy who owns a GTR can treat the car like shit compared to a M3 drop-top owner for all we know...u better believe i would take my drop-top sports car to the track, especially if it was a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, CLK, whatever...it's the fun of it...some of us just go to the track to have fun, u know.