Any tips and experiences warding off tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips and experiences warding off tailgaters?

People who tailgate stink :sqntfawk: :fingerfawk:

I was driving tonight and some teens in an old ugly civic really was riding up behind me too near because they wanted me to drive faster. So, what do you guys do? Your own experiences and tips for people who drive too close behind you?

For me, I just slowed down and they just changed lanes and started tailgating another car.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Well, if you were a jerk, just stomp on the brakes and let them hit you and have their insurance premium go through the roof.

But the smart thing to do is just get out of the way.

I hate tailgaters and as much as I wanna just let them hit me, I know it wouldn't do me any good either so I just move. Play it safe.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i think i m doing pretty fast and ppl still tailgate me..
then i'd slow down to like 40 from 65 (km that is) and keeping the revs up...

when he tries to pass them then i just gun the throtle lol...

but most of the time i just slow down..... to piss him off.... and then speed up at the next light...
Old 06-14-2004, 11:43 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Well, if you were a jerk, just stomp on the brakes and let them hit you and have their insurance premium go through the roof.

But the smart thing to do is just get out of the way.

I hate tailgaters and as much as I wanna just let them hit me, I know it wouldn't do me any good either so I just move. Play it safe.

yeah it's not worth the time and pain to stump the brakes ....
Old 06-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Let them pass and then tailgate them and see how they like it. This is what I did to a Hyundai Tiburon a couple of weeks ago. I guess he got pissed off or tried to show off in front of me because he gunned it after about 30 sec of being tailgated. Maybe he was checking out my TSX.

A few years ago my friends and I were out driving around and a cabby started tailgating us. So, my friend slowed down his car to 10km/h in a 50km/h zone. The cabby turned into a side street to go around us. LOL
Old 06-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSX7
Let them pass and then tailgate them and see how they like it.
I've done that a few times. Usually doesn't do much since people like that seldom look in their rear view mirrors.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You could always throw ketchup packets or french fries out your moonroof
Old 06-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
You could always throw ketchup packets or french fries out your moonroof
Why bother? Just start throwing tomatoes and potatoes
Old 06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
cmf
ATCer

I don't understand why people like to play road police. Obviously if he was tailgating you he was probably moving faster than you at sometime. Get out the way, let him pass, and no harm done.
Out here in ELP TX, all kinds of retards drive in the left lane, and it pisses me off cause I am moving faster, then I have to change over lanes and go around to get back into the same lane to pass the next guy.
If you're in a lot of traffic and all lanes are all moving at the same pace, I can see not moving, and getting pissed about tailgating, however, if it is wide open roads and you're being a lane hog, then....consider it something you should do to prevent the tailgater from even appraoching you. Slowing down will only piss some drivers off more, and start a game of road rage. One day you'll cross that crazy teenager in his Civic with a weapon of some sort, and who knows what he will do. Best thing to do is move!
I think we talked about this in a thread before.
I wasn't there and don't know the situation, but there is my .02 anyways....
Old 06-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cmf
I don't understand why people like to play road police. Obviously if he was tailgating you he was probably moving faster than you at sometime. Get out the way, let him pass, and no harm done.
Out here in ELP TX, all kinds of retards drive in the left lane, and it pisses me off cause I am moving faster, then I have to change over lanes and go around to get back into the same lane to pass the next guy.
If you're in a lot of traffic and all lanes are all moving at the same pace, I can see not moving, and getting pissed about tailgating, however, if it is wide open roads and you're being a lane hog, then....consider it something you should do to prevent the tailgater from even appraoching you. Slowing down will only piss some drivers off more, and start a game of road rage. One day you'll cross that crazy teenager in his Civic with a weapon of some sort, and who knows what he will do. Best thing to do is move!
I think we talked about this in a thread before.
I wasn't there and don't know the situation, but there is my .02 anyways....
For the most part, I agree, but sometimes you get people who don't understand the concept of speed limits. I typically drive 5mph over the speed limit and I still get people who tailgate me. Drives me absolutely nuts. I hate it!!

And with that, I reach 3600 posts.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Old fart

For the most part, I agree, but sometimes you get people who don't understand the concept of speed limits. I typically drive 5mph over the speed limit and I still get people who tailgate me. Drives me absolutely nuts. I hate it!!

And with that, I reach 3600 posts.
5 over is still not fast enough...so move over
Old 06-15-2004, 12:08 AM
Team Owner

5 over is still not fast enough...so move over
lunatic

Old 06-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Old fart

lunatic

well...if you drive around chicago burbs...you'll get passed going 5 over... Might as well stay in the slow lane or go with the flow...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Team Owner

well...if you drive around chicago burbs...you'll get passed going 5 over... Might as well stay in the slow lane or go with the flow...
You're forgetting that I live in Cali, where everyone thinks they're the next Michael Schumacher. I drive 5 over and move the hell out of the way when I see one of those crazys coming up on me. It's funny since more than likely, I have centuries more training than they did at driving fast.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Old fart

You're forgetting that I live in Cali, where everyone thinks they're the next Michael Schumacher. I drive 5 over and move the hell out of the way when I see one of those crazys coming up on me. It's funny since more than likely, I have centuries more training than they did at driving fast.
Oh I know..I've driven through Cali...LA to Visalia
Old 06-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Team Owner

Our drivers out here compete with the worst in the nation.

Honestly, the requirements for licensing are way too lenient. We need to institute something similar to Germany's system. Of course, the politicians would kill that idea instantly since they'd rather have their $5000 toilet than good drivers. Go figure...:shakehd:
Old 06-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I recently transferred jobs and I now have a long 45min. commute up the mountain everyday. I tend to drive fairly quick (maybe 5-10 over). Anyway, I get stuck behind a lot of slow old people but I've learned that following close (not literally tailgating) is a good way to let people know you want to go faster. I have an old Accord and people pull off the road to let me pass all the time.

At the same time, if someone gets behind me and they obviously want to go faster I let them get by -- even if I have to pull over. To me, it's all about respect.

Slats

"pass someone new everyday"
Old 06-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Team Owner

I usually follow the European tradition of flashing my brights twice quickly in succession if I want to let someone know that I want to pass. Usually this works, but sometimes, no matter what you do, some people just don't ever move over. :shakehd:
Old 06-15-2004, 03:03 AM
Advanced

i just move a lane over and hang in there till i feel its slowing down too much for me, the one who are really really speeding here in Los Angeles are usually huge trucks, suv, or pos cars. if traffic is slow then theres not much i can do, i can only go as fast as the fellow in front of me
Old 06-15-2004, 03:38 AM
Advanced

i don't really mind, the thing i keep in mind is give myself plenty of time to break, so the car following me won't hit my ass

with that said they can eat my stonechips howeva they want if they follow that close
Old 06-15-2004, 05:46 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
I usually follow the European tradition of flashing my brights twice quickly in succession if I want to let someone know that I want to pass. Usually this works, but sometimes, no matter what you do, some people just don't ever move over. :shakehd:
Not a prob on a bike - just split lanes and be done with it.

If you can, move over and let the faster traffic go by.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:38 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i normally drive 5-10mpg above the speed limit, and just move to the right and let them pass. i'm more worried about getting a ticket then a tailgater.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:13 AM
The Voice of Reason

10-20mph above the posted speed limit is more typical in NJ. You should keep right except to pass. This helps avoid speeding tickets too, because The Law can't pace you if he can't see you!

I occasionally have a problem when my radar detector suddenly starts shrieking and I have to let off the gas. I'll try to pull right as soon as possible and let the hotdog take the ticket.

As for tailgaters on say roads where you can't pull over, say 2-lane blacktop with double-stripes strategies that "might" work include ... using the windshield washers/headlight washers liberally (With 5 nozzles my Volvo can leave a virtual typhoon in it's wake!) This was actually suggested at one of the Skip Barber driving schools. It should work particularly well if the tailgater is driving a convertible!

Also, oddly enough, feigning picking your nose and then feigning discarding the resulting detritus out of the window sometimes makes them drop back very quickly!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Man, I got into a heated argument about this before.

I generally move out of the way for faster traffic, but there are just times when you're on the left lane and there's a trail of slower traffic on the right lane, making it impossible for you to jump over, and some jerk is riding your behind. And in that scenerio, I'm really not going to endanger myself nor risk getting a speeding ticket by doing whatever insane speed he's trying to do. I'm not being a traffic cop, I think I'm just looking out for myself.

I simply try to move out of his way as soon as possible, although the majority of the time, as soon as a spot opens on the right lane, it's the tailgater who quickly jumps over and speeds ahead of me before I can even move out of his way.

But yeah, I move for faster traffic whenever possible.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
10-20mph above the posted speed limit is more typical in NJ. You should keep right except to pass. This helps avoid speeding tickets too, because The Law can't pace you if he can't see you!
I was with my friend on the NJ Turnpike when he was pulled over (and ticketed) for going 85 in a 55 - not smart. He was riding in the left lane even though traffic was light. The cop told him that he should just stay in the right two lanes (of 3) and 'they'll keep you where you need to be'.

As for tailgaters on say roads where you can't pull over, say 2-lane blacktop with double-stripes strategies that "might" work include ... using the windshield washers/headlight washers liberally
I do this a lot My old car had one mis-aimed that practically overshot the windshield anyway - quite effective!

I used to try to pin the tailgater behind me while next to a big rig, then ride his/her ass after s/he eventually passed me. Now I just move over and swear under my breath, hoping they will have an injury-free accident up the road. I guess I'm mellowing - I used to cheer for death!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm allergic to bull

countertailgating guideline:

1. Mature grown-up: Move away and stay out of trouble knowing you lose only a few seconds

2. Callow Juvenile: Stomping the brake, inconsistent accelerating/decelerating, throwing grocery shits, changing lane, or racing the tailgatemotherfarker

3. Inexperience driver: Doesn't even know someone is tailgating him/her

4. Under too much influence of CS: Aimming you AK47 and MP5 at its gas tank and blowing up tires

5. Stalker: Following the tailgater relentlessly and scaring the shit out of him/her

6. Under too much influence of Need for Speed Underground: Jamming the brake, pushing him off road, or bumping him off at next corner.

7. Batman: flamethrowing that bastard
Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Jewdacris!!

Well here is DC on the beltway, you can only go 5 mph so its not a big deal. But driving towards ocean city, rte 50 is literally a straight peice of road from the bay bridge to OC, like 100 miles or so, and i derive 5-10 above the speed limit, but if theres a faster car behind me in the left lane i will move. If the car is in the right lane and there is no traffic in the left, ill stay there and make him go around me.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:22 AM
You all suck.

International Truckers & Hauling Association says: If you cannot pull over, and wish not to increase your speed, simply turn on your hazard signals. Either; they will understand what you mean and go around, or, they will think you're having problems and go around.

Behind the wheel, don't be a child, or an adult... be a driver.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Banned

>>Well, if you were a jerk, just stomp on the brakes and let them hit you and have their insurance premium go through the roof.

Assuming, of course, that they have insurance
Old 06-15-2004, 09:42 AM