Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Angry Alignment Issue

So I've been having alignment issues with my TSX since day one. Had an alignment done at 10K miles and they paid for it. Now at 22K, the same issues still exist.

The Acura dealer recommended another alignment, even though, they never even drove the car when they were to inspect it. (wtf!) And they don't have an alignment rack at their shop, it's all outsourced.

So I took it to the local Honda dealer as they have always done good service work. I took it on the dealer's good word that I needed an alignment. And sure enough, I did.

However, the Cross Camber is also all fucked up and something that the dealer says isn't a warranty item and are sticking me with it. They say it probably happened by hitting a pot hole, blah blah blah... Jerks.

Anyone familiar with Cross Camber issues and how to fix? I guess it has to go to an autobody shop or something similar. Can pot holes knock it out that far??? Tire wear is very good and there is no uneven wear.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume the car is bone stock, right?

The front camber issue can be fixed (but rather expensively, if it's not under warranty) by shifting the front subframe a little to the left. This is a warranty issue, unless they can proof and show you the marks or signs of you hitting anything on the suspension or frame. If the front end chassis looks clean, their claim just doesn't hold water.

Do you know if the car hasn't had any accident whatsoever? Have you taken a look under the car?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Yep, bone stock. Acura will NOT warranty this. Both my dealership and another I called, both said this is a wear and tear item probably because I hit a pothole. The car has never been in a wreck. I even asked and looked myself earlier today when the car was on the rack. Nothing is bent, etc. Is it possible to get the camber out of whack by hitting a pothole and not damaging anything else?

I have since learned about the subframe adjustment and it doesn't sound like a pleasant wallet experience.

Fucking infuriating.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had a TSX my car had the same problem, I've performed thousands of alignments over the years and would check mine some what often. Short of putting in camber kits in the front and rear there is no safe way to correct it. Cross camber is a none issue, it is simply the difference between both front cambers, in a severe case it will cause a pull, as long as the tires are wearing well its not worth addressing. As for the rear, my car had the same problem on one side, the only thing I could come up with is that when it was transported they tied it down with one of the multi-links in the rear suspension and it got tweaked, to the naked eye it would be impossible to tell which one.

If your car has a pull right now, which it may, it is due to the front toe, even though the total toe measures perfect, it is not added like cross camber is. The way your car is set up right now is one wheel is toed in, the other is toed out, that is the recipe for a off center steering wheel. On the TSX I found the best feeling suspension set up was rear wheels toed in just under maximum spec for toe and and the fronts toed out just under maximum spec, this wears tires a bit rapidly and will make any camber problems more noticeable, but the car will feel phenomenal. I should also mention short of a comptech RSB and really good tires, my suspension was otherwise bone stock.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is definitely a possibility to throw anything, camber, caster, out of spec, but it would have to be a big-@$$ pothole.

If you're stuck, call Acura and request assistance. Ask for someone from your district to look at your car personally before making any decision.

Actually, a good alignment shop or body shop can shift the subframe for maybe less than what your incompetent dealers charge you.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Eric, anything can do it. I got hit in a parking lot when I had the G, guy was pulling in, and going very slow (I'm guessing by the body damage) His bumper got my wheel, and took the alignment out of whack. I replaced every cheap part I could and it would still miss spec. I stopped at the spindle and control arms, as it was getting expensive.

Try a body shop that can check the frame for straightness and then work down the suspension from there, if you have already replaced all of the cheap parts. Or just sell it like I did with mine. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would call acura and talk to some one there. Explain the alignment issue since day one and acura outsourcing it and never fixing the problem. See if they can get it fixed for you
Old 06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

You guys are making this too complicated, it's not far out of spec, the problem is there is no camber adjustment from the factory the fix are camber kits for the front and rear. It would be cheaper then even checking the frame for straightness, with how close it is to being in spec it just needs a little tweaking and it will be spot on. If you are experiencing poor tire wear or the steering wheel is not level then get the cam kits, other wise live with it, it's not a perfect world and this is a very minor problem. And like I said in my first post, if the steering wheel isn't level chances are high it is the front toe that is causing the problem. TSX's have very minimal available adjustments from the factory, its a toe and go alignment, nothing is wrong with the car.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Well, whatever... I'm over this. Considering what is entailed to fix the problem, I'd think it'd take a pretty serious jolt to force it out of spec, no matter how far out of spec it is.

And iTimmy, I hear what you're saying, but driving this car is a chore as it tracks all over the road regardless of road grade, etc. It's really fucking annoying.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I knocked my alignment off a couple times with pot holes in NY. It sucks. I did my first one at the dealership. After that I just took it some place private and had better success that way.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
sounds like a quality issue that acura has with this vehicle. i don't think shifting the frame should be an option on a car this new. I really don't think hitting 1000 potholes would damage the frame unless you bottom oput each time.

You really need to take this to the next level
Old 07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator Alumnus

I agree... Customer Care is to call me by today so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I knocked my alignment off a couple times with pot holes in NY. It sucks. I did my first one at the dealership. After that I just took it some place private and had better success that way.

My shop couldnt align my car properly either so they installed a camber kit. I was uber lazy about the whole thing because frankly, I just dont get it. Paid them $150 and the realigned it for free.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by SakiGT

My shop couldnt align my car properly either so they installed a camber kit. I was uber lazy about the whole thing because frankly, I just dont get it. Paid them $150 and the realigned it for free.
At least you acknowledge you don't understand alignments, many people, including most who align cars, have no clue what they are talking about.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I see only one option at this point, trade in the car for an NSX.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
It's really fucking annoying.

Wow, you know dat shit's serious when starts dropping F' bombs!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
registered pw

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Wow, you know dat shit's serious when starts dropping F' bombs!
just look out for the ban hammer that he's looking for
Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 PM
registered pw

x2
Old 07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I think he should get Jesal's old 335
Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Well, whatever... I'm over this. Considering what is entailed to fix the problem, I'd think it'd take a pretty serious jolt to force it out of spec, no matter how far out of spec it is.

And iTimmy, I hear what you're saying, but driving this car is a chore as it tracks all over the road regardless of road grade, etc. It's really fucking annoying.
I'd bet your problem is the front toe, TSX's, like most modern FWD cars are really sensitive to front toe, your LF is toed in and your RF is toed out, its the recipe for a car to have an off center steering wheel, and is probably making any potential cross camber related drivability problems more pronounced. When you look at an alignment you have to realize that all of the measurements impact one another, they are adjusted independently, but all will be influenced by moving one. I also bet in order to drive in a straight line you need to have the wheel turned to the left - counter clockwise. It is obviously exaggerated but this is what your wheels look like in terms of toe with the wheel straight ahead:

front of car

/-------/

l--------l

back of car
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
There's a great 335i for sale in the NW IL area
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 AM
registered pw

any news there scrib?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Negatory. Acura contacted me and was going to speak with the dealership.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Corporate just called...

Acura: So did you file a police report after the accident?

Me: accident?

Acura: The accident where the left rear knuckle needed to be replaced.

Me: left rear knuckle? Are you sure you are calling me over the right case? *Gives case number*

Acura: I need to call the dealership back. This is the information they gave me for your VIN.

What in the holy fuck? My car has never been in an accident. That is some kind of a mistake.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
WTF? Your car wasn't purchased used by any chance was it?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I think it had 5 miles on the clock when I bought it.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Anyone here work for Acura and can run my VIN to see what's up???
Old 07-03-2008, 03:44 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Corporate just called...

Acura: So did you file a police report after the accident?

Me: accident?

Acura: The accident where the left rear knuckle needed to be replaced.

Me: left rear knuckle? Are you sure you are calling me over the right case? *Gives case number*

Acura: I need to call the dealership back. This is the information they gave me for your VIN.

What in the holy fuck? My car has never been in an accident. That is some kind of a mistake.
sounds like someone read the wrong VIN
Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator Alumnus

So since my dealership doesn't have an alignment rack and I took it to the Honda dealer, I have to take it to an Acura dealership with an alignment rack to diagnose. Acura won't honor the readout from the Honda dealer.

So I have to take the car in and pay the alignment fee; $129.95 and then see if Acura will warranty the work???!!?? So because my dealer doesn't have an alignment rack, I'm potentially out another $130 as there is still no guarantee that the work will be fixed under warranty.

Does this make any sense to anyone?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Corporate just called...
What. The. Fsck?

And you have to pay for an alignment to see if Acura will warranty the car? That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
So since my dealership doesn't have an alignment rack and I took it to the Honda dealer, I have to take it to an Acura dealership with an alignment rack to diagnose. Acura won't honor the readout from the Honda dealer.

So I have to take the car in and pay the alignment fee; $129.95 and then see if Acura will warranty the work???!!?? So because my dealer doesn't have an alignment rack, I'm potentially out another $130 as there is still no guarantee that the work will be fixed under warranty.

Makes perfect sense. Nobody wants to take care of their customers anymore.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

That's why I traded my Acura in, and also the reason I didn't buy another one. They told me the repair needed may be under warranty, however they wouldn't know until they got in there and looked, I had to sign an agreement that I would pay the labor to look(9 hours at $90/hour) if they deemed it not covered under warranty and that did not include the repair. So I drove down the road to the Infiniti dealership and traded it in the next day. I love how people, myself included, make a big deal about driving a car with a warranty but push come to shove when you need the warranty they will often tell you to go fuck off. Often it works because the problem isn't big enough to take any serious action crappy situation.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Bad from the factory, now to you, then to the next person if you trade your car... new cars are starting to be worse to repair than just having a older car that needs a tweak now and then... nothing cost less than a cool thousand to fix now a days... I am so over Acura right now...
Old 07-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had a problem with a car and dealer, the dealer, of all people, said it couldn't be fixed more or less, I trade it in. The trade in hit might compare with the ultimate repair bill afterall. I wouldn't avoid Honda on account of this though. Don't let the repair dept. speak for the whole brand.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I showed a friend of mine who's an alignment this thread. He believes that this is a classic case of the engine cradle being misaligned at the factory, and that this is a clearly a factory defect.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator Alumnus

How does one determine that is the issue simply by reviewing an alignment sheet?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
have you tried a different dealership?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator Alumnus

^^^^

Going on Tuesday.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
How does one determine that is the issue simply by reviewing an alignment sheet?
I talked to him again and he said that it is evident from the excessive positive camber on one side and the excessive negative camber on the other, marked by the extreme cross camber.

Quick Reply: Alignment Issue