Advice - From 2006 Acura TL to ???? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community



Advice - From 2006 Acura TL to ????

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Advice - From 2006 Acura TL to ????

It's time to part with my 2006 TL 6-speed. The kids are growing up and I need more room in the backseat. Also the wife is tired of driving a manual when she borrows the car. It only has 80,000 miles on it and it is in great shape and I bought it new so I hate to part with it.

The biggest struggle is finding something to replace it with.

- The TLX has less rear leg room so that is out. The RLX did not impress me.
- I drove a 2017 Accord V6 and while the engine was great the seats and interior were not. The 2018 Accord, in my opinion, has a truly horrible exterior design but the interior looks great and the rear leg room would be perfect.
- I had a 2017 Charger Scat Pack as a rental a few months ago and it was a blast to drive but the interior felt a little lackluster. Also we get snow here in Wisconsin so while I could pickup a set of snow tires (had them for my TL) it isn't my first choice.
- I drove a Chevy SS and really liked it but can't find a decent one in my area for under $35k. Given that new 2017s were going for high $30k's during the 20% off sale I refuse to pay that much for a used one.
- 2018 Camry V6 the steering feel was a little numb the rest of it was nice but again $37k or more for a Camry is not something I will pay.
- Drove a 2017 Mazda 6 and enjoyed that other than what I felt was an under powered engine and that annoying heads up display on the plastic screen.
- 2015+ GS350 F-sport was nice but just barely enough rear leg room and they seem to be overpriced here in WI.

I have considered a used Cadillac XTS V-sport, new Buick TourX (I get the employee discount), a Ridgeline (again too pricey).

What am I missing? There are no perfect cars, I get that but all I really want is my 2006 TL with more rear leg room.

The only absolute no on my list is a CVT. Any thoughts are welcome...
wi_badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Moderator
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)
 
CCColtsicehockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 31
Posts: 37,466
Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,255 Posts
Charger Scat Pack with snow tires would get my vote from that list unless you go GS350 F-Sport.
CCColtsicehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 28,775
Thanked 4,783 Times in 3,810 Posts
+2 gs 350
thoiboi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Cruisin' at 4k rpm
 
Aman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 25
Posts: 16,510
Thanked 915 Times in 717 Posts
These are just test drive suggestions:

Q50
Fusion Sport
Legacy 3.6R
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
I drive a Subata.
iTrader: (1)
 
JS + BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Socal
Age: 32
Posts: 19,938
Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,419 Posts
All your options don't have much of an upgrade in terms of room inside. Get some minivan or SUV and pick up a cheap fun car for yourself.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
NSXNEXT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: where the weather suits my clothes
Posts: 27,639
Thanked 663 Times in 411 Posts
2015+ 3.8L Hyundai Genesis sedan AWD?
I've heard they handle very well in the snow.
A shame you can't get the 5.0L AWD in the US.
Plenty of rear seatroom.
Interior is beautiful.
NSXNEXT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
astronaut
 
AZuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,524
Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,002 Posts
Audi A4 all road or A5 Sportback?
AZuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,009
Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,459 Posts
Q Fiddy

or GS 3Fiddy

Or get an SUV, but if you buy new most are close to 40k.
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
Moderator
 
ttribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 45
Posts: 13,243
Thanked 3,771 Times in 2,092 Posts
I went from an '06 TL to an '07 BMW M5...kind of ruined me.
ttribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 61
Posts: 953
Thanked 184 Times in 135 Posts
Another vote for the Scat Pack.

FWIW, you should be able to peddle our 2006 6MT for a good price; I just bought a nice clean one with 114,000 miles on the clock and paid $10,000 for it, I suspect you can get at least that for yours.
horseshoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
Bikes > Cars
iTrader: (5)
 
akplaya92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NOVA
Age: 24
Posts: 631
Thanked 89 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT View Post
2015+ 3.8L Hyundai Genesis sedan AWD?
I've heard they handle very well in the snow.
A shame you can't get the 5.0L AWD in the US.
Plenty of rear seatroom.
Interior is beautiful.
Two of my neighbors just bought a new Genesis. Holy cow, they're jaw droppers.

Is the coupe getting discontinued or are they releasing a new generation with the new branding?
akplaya92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
astronaut
 
AZuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13,524
Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akplaya92 View Post
Is the coupe getting discontinued or are they releasing a new generation with the new branding?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2...s-news-rumors/
AZuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
2012wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,507
Thanked 624 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi_badger View Post
need more room in the backseat.

There are no perfect cars, I get that but all I really want is my 2006 TL with more rear leg room.

..
As much as I hate to recommend an ES350 over a LS460, you need the ES for the legroom in the rear.

2005 TL = 34.9 inches

ES350 = 40 inches.

GS350= 36.8 inches

LS460 = 35.8 inches

Last edited by 2012wagon; 09-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.
2012wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 61
Posts: 953
Thanked 184 Times in 135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012wagon View Post
As much as I hate to recommend an ES350 over a LS460, you need the ES for the legroom in the rear.

2005 TL = 34.9 inches

ES350 = 40 inches.

GS350= 36.8 inches

LS460 = 35.8 inches
It isn't quite that simple; while the ES still has the greatest overall legroom, you need to factor in front legroom as well (some cars you might need the front seat pegged all of the way back, others you won't).
  • 2006 TL: 42.8" + 34.9" = 77.7"
  • 2017 ES: 41.9" + 40.0" = 81.9"
  • 2017 GS: 42.3" + 36.8" = 79.1"
  • 2017 LS: 43.7" + 35.8" = 79.5"

FWIW, when my kids were small I had a 1995 Passat GLX with a stunning amount of legroom for the size of the car:
  • 1995 Passat: 45.1" + 37.0" = 82.1"
horseshoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,009
Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,459 Posts
Or you can just get a Vagon.
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #16
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,713
Thanked 1,068 Times in 719 Posts
The new Camry is $37k?! Wait a few months and you'll be able to get one for far under invoice. No one is going to spend $37k on that thing.

I'd recommend a SUV though. Mazda CX-5 is actually quite good in the new redesigned form.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,538
Thanked 378 Times in 313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT View Post
2015+ 3.8L Hyundai Genesis sedan AWD?
I've heard they handle very well in the snow.
A shame you can't get the 5.0L AWD in the US.
Plenty of rear seatroom.
Interior is beautiful.
IMHO this is the best suggestion on the thread so far. The genesis has a ridiculous amount of rear seat leg room. The interior quality is at least equivalent to that of an RLX or even Audi A7/Lexus GS. Extremely comfortable, and you will not have to deal with ridiculous repair costs. It truly does feel like a very expensive car and the features are truly next level. I have a lot of experience with the 3.8 AWD, the one thing I will tell you is that it is not the best handling car in the class (that is due to weighing 4700 pounds). It can handle acceptably though, but it is not the most nimble car in the world. Like you won't be disappointed coming from the TL. But it won't blow you away either.
RDX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,009
Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,459 Posts
Neighbors friend just bout the new CX-5.... Looks really good.
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,009
Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
IMHO this is the best suggestion on the thread so far. The genesis has a ridiculous amount of rear seat leg room. The interior quality is at least equivalent to that of an RLX or even Audi A7/Lexus GS. Extremely comfortable, and you will not have to deal with ridiculous repair costs. It truly does feel like a very expensive car and the features are truly next level. I have a lot of experience with the 3.8 AWD, the one thing I will tell you is that it is not the best handling car in the class (that is due to weighing 4700 pounds). It can handle acceptably though, but it is not the most nimble car in the world. Like you won't be disappointed coming from the TL. But it won't blow you away either.
You must have missed my suggestion of CTS-V.....
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
 
00TL-P3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spring, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 5,747
Thanked 897 Times in 644 Posts
EcoBoost F150? Could probably find a 2016 302A XLT with either EcoBoost in your budget. 2015 for Lariat & up.

Fusion Sport, the back seat is likely about the same as the TL.

Genesis is definitely a looker, but haven't been inside one.

EcoBoost Explorer/Flex
00TL-P3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MTL, Canada
Age: 50
Posts: 2,356
Thanked 86 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
These are just test drive suggestions:

Q50
Fusion Sport
Legacy 3.6R
This one and Maxima crossed my mind but ... CVT I don't think that they are what they used to be, though. Unsure of the chic factor, but because of size and your discount, I'll put an Impala LTZ right here.

Saintor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,538
Thanked 378 Times in 313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipster23 View Post
You must have missed my suggestion of CTS-V.....
Being RWD based, I really doubt rear seat room would be any good for kids. But in all other contexts, I absolutely LOVE the CTS-V.
RDX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
 
2012wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,507
Thanked 624 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
The genesis has a ridiculous amount of rear seat leg room. .

35.0 inches. Essentially same as his current TL.
2012wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
 
wackjum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Age: 35
Posts: 4,059
Thanked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I would go with a crossover. Really there is no reason for a sedan anymore except for the better driving experience. Crossovers get as good mileage as sedans and have a lot more passenger and cargo space. They also usually have a teeny bit more ground clearance and many come in AWD.
wackjum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #25
I drive a Subata.
iTrader: (1)
 
JS + BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Socal
Age: 32
Posts: 19,938
Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
It isn't quite that simple; while the ES still has the greatest overall legroom, you need to factor in front legroom as well (some cars you might need the front seat pegged all of the way back, others you won't).
  • 2006 TL: 42.8" + 34.9" = 77.7"
  • 2017 ES: 41.9" + 40.0" = 81.9"
  • 2017 GS: 42.3" + 36.8" = 79.1"
  • 2017 LS: 43.7" + 35.8" = 79.5"

FWIW, when my kids were small I had a 1995 Passat GLX with a stunning amount of legroom for the size of the car:
  • 1995 Passat: 45.1" + 37.0" = 82.1"
Civic Type R
42.3 in / 35.9 in

pretty good for a civic haha
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
 
RDX10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,538
Thanked 378 Times in 313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012wagon View Post
35.0 inches. Essentially same as his current TL.
I'm 6'1, I have sat behind myself with plenty of room and had much more room than I did sitting in the back of my friends 2006 TL behind a 5'3 passenger who had her seat adjusted forward. So no I disagree that they are the same even if the numbers say so.
RDX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
NSXNEXT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: where the weather suits my clothes
Posts: 27,639
Thanked 663 Times in 411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipster23 View Post
You must have missed my suggestion of CTS-V.....
Quote:
Wisconsin snow.
​​​I'm sure it's possible with a good set of snow tires but I wouldn't do it. One of the only reasons I didn't dump my 99 TL. My RWD 2013 Genesis RSpec sedan is just awful in the snow (yes Kris I did drive it in the Winter)
NSXNEXT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #28
Registered Member
 
DarkTower19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bucks County, PA
Age: 36
Posts: 639
Thanked 204 Times in 171 Posts
This is funny because I have this very same dilemma....but I might soon be going in the complete opposite direction of you. haha

Anyways, I looked into the '17 Accord...affordable, very nice looking, great on gas, more spacious. The GS350 AWD F-Sport and the Q50 were always contenders for me if I went for another sedan. No SUV's in your list...so I'm assuming you don't want to go that route? Otherwise I'd say, Explorer Sport, MDX, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Pilot just to name a few.
DarkTower19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,009
Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTower19 View Post
This is funny because I have this very same dilemma....but I might soon be going in the complete opposite direction of you. haha

Anyways, I looked into the '17 Accord...affordable, very nice looking, great on gas, more spacious. The GS350 AWD F-Sport and the Q50 were always contenders for me if I went for another sedan. No SUV's in your list...so I'm assuming you don't want to go that route? Otherwise I'd say, Explorer Sport, MDX, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Pilot just to name a few.
Accord is a good, affordable, and great on gas. It's not much more spacious though then a 3G TL, a little but not a lot. Explorer Sport would be good. Pick up a used one though. (I'm not biased on either of those. )

If I was going to go Durango or JGC, I would go SRT.
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTower19 View Post
This is funny because I have this very same dilemma....but I might soon be going in the complete opposite direction of you. haha

Anyways, I looked into the '17 Accord...affordable, very nice looking, great on gas, more spacious. The GS350 AWD F-Sport and the Q50 were always contenders for me if I went for another sedan. No SUV's in your list...so I'm assuming you don't want to go that route? Otherwise I'd say, Explorer Sport, MDX, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Pilot just to name a few.
I probably should have mentioned this in my original post but our other vehicle is a 2012 Odyssey. That being said I looked into a 2015 MDX CPO but after driving it I found it completely boring. It was comfortable, spacious, quiet, drove competently, good build quality but I got out and it just felt like our Odyssey. I love the idea of an SUV and AWD but that one was completely uninspiring...or put another way, it wasn't that kind of thrill. I see why people buy them instead of a minivan but I already have one and don't want 2.

At this point the only reasonable SUV that has my attention is the Mazda CX-9. I was only able to do a very short (around the block literally) test drive but it handled better than the MDX and I really liked the interior. Second row room was good. The overall cargo room is low and third row space is not great. I had no issues with the power of the Turbo 4 but the one I drove was running on 93 octane and I literally only drove around the block. It will never handle like a TL, Chevy SS, Lexus GS, etc so the power output only needs to be adequate for that kind of vehicle in my opinion. Overall I think its a niche vehicle for a family of 4 who values driving dynamics which is accurate for my current situation. I have been looking for a used one but there are not many to be found as they just don't sell in volume compared to Pilots and MDX.

I like the look of the Jeep GC but I don't trust their quality for long-term ownership. The diesel option would be my preference but again its a unicorn on the used market.
wi_badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
Registered Member
 
2012wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,507
Thanked 624 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi_badger View Post
I probably should have mentioned this in my original post but our other vehicle is a 2012 Odyssey. That being said I looked into a 2015 MDX CPO but after driving it I found it completely boring. It was comfortable, spacious, quiet, drove competently, good build quality but I got out and it just felt like our Odyssey. I love the idea of an SUV and AWD but that one was completely uninspiring...or put another way, it wasn't that kind of thrill. I see why people buy them instead of a minivan but I already have one and don't want 2.

At this point the only reasonable SUV that has my attention is the Mazda CX-9. I was only able to do a very short (around the block literally) test drive but it handled better than the MDX and I really liked the interior. Second row room was good. The overall cargo room is low and third row space is not great. I had no issues with the power of the Turbo 4 but the one I drove was running on 93 octane and I literally only drove around the block. It will never handle like a TL, Chevy SS, Lexus GS, etc so the power output only needs to be adequate for that kind of vehicle in my opinion. Overall I think its a niche vehicle for a family of 4 who values driving dynamics which is accurate for my current situation. I have been looking for a used one but there are not many to be found as they just don't sell in volume compared to Pilots and MDX.

I like the look of the Jeep GC but I don't trust their quality for long-term ownership. The diesel option would be my preference but again its a unicorn on the used market.
If you get the CX9 make sure you get the newest one

they just released info where they are changing how much the second row move and changed the seat back angles to make it more like cx5. totally worth looking at the newest one as it makes ease of entry to third row etc extremely useful. almost 5 more inches of seat movement, plus some standard equipment on the base models.
2012wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #32
Ex-OEM King
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,713
Thanked 1,068 Times in 719 Posts
New CX-5 and CX-9 are MUCH different from the used ones and are worth every penny in extra cost to get the newer one.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #33
I drive a Subata.
iTrader: (1)
 
JS + BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Socal
Age: 32
Posts: 19,938
Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,419 Posts
Oh you do have an Odyssey. Then it makes sense now. The new CX9 is amazing. Looks incredible, the interior is insane. The only thing I didn't like about it was the cargo room in the back.

Since you have a minivan already, then anything makes sense haha

Get something more fun. Wouldn't do Lexus line in this case.

I'm selling both of my cars and getting a new Odyssey and Civic Type R next year. We have almost 1 year old and have another on the way.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 61
Posts: 953
Thanked 184 Times in 135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
I'm selling both of my cars and getting a new Odyssey and Civic Type R next year. We have almost 1 year old and have another on the way.
Twenty years ago when my wife and I were at the same point you are now the conversation went something like this...

Me: "Dear, I'm thinking it's time we considered buying a minivan."

Wifey: "Probably a good idea; can we get one with a stick?"

Me: "Nope, pretty much automatic only in the full-sized minivan world."

Wifey: "Well then I'm not driving it, you're driving it."

The conversation ended there and we didn't pick it up again for another year; we ended up with a (then) brand spankin' new 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.8 liter engine. The van went a very reliable 200,000+ miles with us; had to trade the old girl in because my mom had an accident in it and where the body work had been done it was rusting like crazy.

Funny thing, even though we're "empty nesters" and we both still enjoy driving sporty cars, we miss having a van around from time to time.
horseshoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #35
3.5 psi
iTrader: (1)
 
gnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 35
Posts: 4,280
Thanked 651 Times in 524 Posts
since you already have a van, what about an Q50 red sport?
gnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #36
Registered Member
 
2012wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,507
Thanked 624 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuts View Post
since you already have a van, what about an Q50 red sport?
great car

but at 35.1 inch rear legroom, doesn't give him the space he requires
2012wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #37
I drive a Subata.
iTrader: (1)
 
JS + BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Socal
Age: 32
Posts: 19,938
Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Twenty years ago when my wife and I were at the same point you are now the conversation went something like this...

Me: "Dear, I'm thinking it's time we considered buying a minivan."

Wifey: "Probably a good idea; can we get one with a stick?"

Me: "Nope, pretty much automatic only in the full-sized minivan world."

Wifey: "Well then I'm not driving it, you're driving it."

The conversation ended there and we didn't pick it up again for another year; we ended up with a (then) brand spankin' new 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with a 3.8 liter engine. The van went a very reliable 200,000+ miles with us; had to trade the old girl in because my mom had an accident in it and where the body work had been done it was rusting like crazy.

Funny thing, even though we're "empty nesters" and we both still enjoy driving sporty cars, we miss having a van around from time to time.
That's a great story haha my wife and I are pretty much set on a minivan, it's just 100 times more convenient than anything else out there with kids and dogs. Hopefully it will last a long time for our family like yours sir!
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JS + BRZ For This Useful Post:
horseshoez (09-13-2017), nist7 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #38
Registered Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Flipster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 33,009
Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ View Post
Oh you do have an Odyssey. Then it makes sense now. The new CX9 is amazing. Looks incredible, the interior is insane. The only thing I didn't like about it was the cargo room in the back.

Since you have a minivan already, then anything makes sense haha

Get something more fun. Wouldn't do Lexus line in this case.

I'm selling both of my cars and getting a new Odyssey and Civic Type R next year. We have almost 1 year old and have another on the way.
Congrats..... It will be tough. I was just like you. my first two are 20 months apart and I had just had another 3 months ago. So I have a 3 year old, 2 year old and 3 month old.

We bought the Explorer, a couple days after our 2nd, and now we are buying a van next year. It just makes way more sense.
Flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #39
Registered Member
 
deviant_customs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 36
Posts: 58
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
How about this?



RWD/AWD and as much room as a GS, much more bang for your buck. And from my personal experience of Kia and Lexus interiors, it's going to feel more premium inside.
I have three kids and I'd replace my UA7 with it
deviant_customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant_customs View Post
How about this?



RWD/AWD and as much room as a GS, much more bang for your buck. And from my personal experience of Kia and Lexus interiors, it's going to feel more premium inside.
I have three kids and I'd replace my UA7 with it

Yeah, the Stinger is definitely on my list after reading the article posted yesterday (Motor Trend I think). Probably wouldn't spring for the 6 cylinder but the I like the looks and the sounds like the suspension is tuned for what I need. Now I just need to be patient...not my strongest attribute.
wi_badger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: