Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=132592

A one-way orifice located in the slave cylinder restricts return fluid flow during rapid clutch engagement. This serves to reduce driveline shock and limit the torque load on transmission components by gradually engaging the clutch during rapid clutch engagement. While this smooth engagement is great for around town driving, it'll be at a slight dis-advantage at the drag strip. The TOV will be sure to verify this for you in the future. ;-)
Watch them start burning up clutches quickly like some Evo owners. Unless of course Honda/Acura can perfect it so that it doesn't actually cause the clutch to slip too much and burn up like the Evo clutch does.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

Originally posted by JRock
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=132592

Watch them start burning up clutches quickly like some Evo owners. Unless of course Honda/Acura can perfect it so that it doesn't actually cause the clutch to slip too much and burn up like the Evo clutch does.

i think honda has something similar to this on the CLS.......clutch uptake goes only so fast.....
Old 09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Old timer

interesting
Old 09-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

Originally posted by Zapata
i think honda has something similar to this on the CLS.......clutch uptake goes only so fast.....
That's what I thought as well.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
this is the exact unit in the '03 CL'
Old 09-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

Does this mean it will be harder to stall for people who don't really know how to drive stick? The reason I ask is because I want to get a new 6-speed 04 TL, but my wife wants to drive it too & she cannot drive stick. I am offering to teach her how, but she is still stuck on an AUTO. If this clucth is what I think, then it would be easier to drive without stalling. What do you guys think.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I thought we six speeder folks already had this.

Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S
Does this mean it will be harder to stall for people who don't really know how to drive stick?...
IMHO, I don't think that this is a good first timer's clutch. The engagement is pretty quick and it would be very easy to stall for a novice. That being said, it seems there are a lot of folks who post in these forums where this was their first manual transmission car.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

Originally posted by Slimey

IMHO, I don't think that this is a good first timer's clutch. The engagement is pretty quick and it would be very easy to stall for a novice. That being said, it seems there are a lot of folks who post in these forums where this was their first manual transmission car.

It's not bad. The clutch pedal has a SOLID SOLID feel. Uptake is a big slow but that is my ONLY complaint. The shifter feel is beautifal, spacing is awesome, distance is short etc., beautifal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:41 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
honda transmissions are the easiest to learn on without question.

despite their shitty 5AT their MT's rock
Old 09-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like Evo8

It's not bad. The clutch pedal has a SOLID SOLID feel. Uptake is a big slow but that is my ONLY complaint. The shifter feel is beautifal, spacing is awesome, distance is short etc., beautifal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope I wasn't misunderstood -- I wasn't trying to say it's bad at all. I think the clutch and MT is great on this car.

Soopa -- this clutch is not the same as an old Civic. It's much more tighter with a quick engagement point. Obviously, it's not that hard to learn any clutch, but this is not the easiest one for a first timer to drive off a lot with. It even took ME an hour or so to learn it, and I'm the best stick driver around!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like E

I hope I wasn't misunderstood -- I wasn't trying to say it's bad at all. I think the clutch and MT is great on this car.

no no absolutely not heheh just expressing another view point.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:09 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I honestly don't think the CL-S is the best car to learn to drive a manual transmission on. The clutch is not progressive at all, meaning that it is not easy to drive smoothly. Also, the car doesn't have a lot of power under 2k, so it's easy to bog it pretty bad and stall it if you don't slip the clutch alot when accelerating from a stop. I had a Ranger as a loaner that was a 5 speed and even though the shifter throw was long, it was easy to find the gears and the clutch was low effort and pretty progressive on the enagagement.

Or go find a 5 speed GT and learn on a stiff clutch and clunky shifter
Old 09-05-2003, 05:11 PM
CL 6 speeder

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line like E

Soopa -- this clutch is not the same as an old Civic. It's much more tighter with a quick engagement point. Obviously, it's not that hard to learn any clutch, but this is not the easiest one for a first timer to drive off a lot with. It even took ME an hour or so to learn it, and I'm the best stick driver around!
Darn. Guess I must be number 2.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:12 PM
CL 6 speeder

Originally posted by soopa

despite their shitty 5AT their MT's rock
Amen brother Soopa.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

"To further sharpen the enthusiast edge of the TL, for the first time ever it's offered with an available close ratio 6-speed manual transmission. This precise, short-throw unit is the same transmission offered in the 3.2 CL Type-S. It's designed to take advantage of the high power and torque of the new TL engine and give enthusiast drivers maximum control and responsiveness."

straight from hondanews. the new tl MT will be from the cls 6mt
Old 09-05-2003, 06:23 PM
Old timer

Yeah the 6spd RSX TypeS is THE easiest car to learn on. Great learning trans, super easy clutch. I mastered the basics on that car. What an easy car to drive.

The CLS clutch is much different.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Acura's new 04TL in 6MT form will feature a restrictor on the clutch line li

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Darn. Guess I must be number 2.