Acura vs Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Lexus/Infiniti/BMW/Mercedes, i.e. real luxury marques, offer all of these (8AT in the case of Lexus/Mercedes). As far as interior features Lexus offers AC seats
Audi doesn't offer AC seats on the A4.

And Acura was first to offer real-time traffic. And torque-vectoring AWD.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4592586

hmmm this is a damn popular thread
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts
The funny thing about this, and it really is true, is Toyota has done a flat out better job at distinguishing their luxury brand. They are good looking, high quality cars, minus the whole "it's not the ECU, it's the floor mats" issue.

On second thought..........
Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my Acura BUT the one thing that REALLY gets on my nerves about Acura is that they have not developed their own platform. They keep using the Accord platform. Lexus, Infiniti and even Hyundai for crying out loud have specific Platforms for their Lux/Performance cars...it just shows that they are not willing to put money into their "luxury" brand
Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
I love my Acura BUT the one thing that REALLY gets on my nerves about Acura is that they have not developed their own platform. They keep using the Accord platform. Lexus, Infiniti and even Hyundai for crying out loud have specific Platforms for their Lux/Performance cars...it just shows that they are not willing to put money into their "luxury" brand
the lexus also uses the toyota platform on alot of their cars.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
the lexus also uses the toyota platform on alot of their cars.
That is a partial truth. The current crop of Lexus cars ALL, repeat, ALL come from Toyota domestic models. As I stated earlier:

In 2004, the following was true:

LS = Celsior
GS = Aristo
ES = Windom / Camry
IS = Altezza
SC = Soarer
LX = Land Cruiser (also called a Prado).

Now, Toyota stopped this cross breeding in/around 2006 when they introduced the Lexus brand to Japan. So to be competitive in the home market, they had to distinguish themselves from the "plebeian" Toyotas. The only vehicles still sold under both names, but facelifted, are the ES/Windom/Camry and the LX/Land Cruiser. The rest are exclusive to Lexus.

So they are all rooted in JDM, but branched out when the put Lexus here in 2006.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
The 2nd gen SC is its own platform exclusive to Lexus no?

I dont think there was a gen Soarer that matches up with that car. But I dont live in Japan so I dont know.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I like Lexus over Acura..

Both are good cars, but Lexus is softer, offers a V8 and has RWD. Coming from experience, I loved my GS400 in every way. The car was incredible. MY PERSONAL OPINION - My 99 GS400 was much better than some of the 05 RL's I've driven - yes, the technology aspect definitely goes to Acura but the GS felt better and overall was much more fun to drive/smoother.. But at the same time, it depends on the model.....I like the MDX much more than the RX.

They are both good brands. It used to be Acura, Lexus and Infiniti were in the same class....if I had to purchase a new car today, I'm positive Acura wouldn't be first or second on that list...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
FYI, this thread is veeeerrry close to getting locked... so let's keep the personal attacks to a minimum and keep it on-topic.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
That would seem true at first glance... but Audi is the counter-argument that proves this wrong.
Quattro.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm the Firestarter

SH-AWD.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SH-AWD.
v8, r8, flagship vehicles, plethora of engine choices, choice of wagon,etc...

once acura starts offering some of these then the audi/acura debate will start
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM

SH-AWD.
Indeed, however SH-AWD since 2005, Quattro since the '80's.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm the Firestarter

But they have an arguably advanced AWD system now. By the way, the RL and ZDX have ventilated seats. Something Audi also doesn't offer across the range.

I'm just sayin', it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, Acura has a less choice. But it's directly comparable to a marque like Audi, and many of these drawbacks are either not real or they also exist on other cars.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The revised MDX and new ZDX (love it or hate it) clearly show Acura is trying to step up their game.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

By the way, the RL and ZDX have ventilated seats.
Yeah, but have you seen the ZDX?

I'd rather be driving a hot looking Acura w/o ventilated seats then that abomination. Although ideally, they should be able to accomplish both. Not sure why they can't put features like that into an attractive package...

My problem with Acura isn't necessarily their technology... but it's the fact that they have not had an attractive design in some time. That and their dealerships do not feel any different then a Honda dealership. So for me it's more about the total experience then just some of the technology they may or may not have...

Last edited by juniorbean; 10-06-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm the Firestarter

^ I agree that the cars are not attractive but that does not prevent them in any way from being a luxury brand.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Anyone taken a good look at the ZDX interior materials?

Top notch, lets hope it trickles down in the brand.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
The 2nd gen SC is its own platform exclusive to Lexus no?

I dont think there was a gen Soarer that matches up with that car. But I dont live in Japan so I dont know.
The second generation SC was a 2001 model, and yes, it was a Soarer up until 2006. Once Lexus of Japan opened, it was a Lexus only. I was shopping for one, so I had done a bit of research. Everything Lexus has was Toyota JDM rooted.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Acuras Only in

Funny how this topic has been on our family holiday menu for quite a few years now ... parents went with the Toyota years ago, so my bro went with Lexus & I went with Acura instead ... needless to say, I have driven his Lexus (LS, GX) many times & vice versa (my TL, MDX) & we always compliment each other's rides yet still holding on to our own preference ... so while I agree that lexus' service is better than that of Acura's, I still won't change my choice as I always base my car shopping on a combination of factors, not just the brand name alone ...

IMHO, can't go wrong with either generally; based on one's need, you might find they (A VS. L) might cross path of each other ...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I agree that the cars are not attractive but that does not prevent them in any way from being a luxury brand.
Correct, however, when shopping for a luxury brand the last 7-8 years or so I look to Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. So while you are correct as indicated, in a way, it does prevent them from being a luxury brand.... to me at least... b/c they're not even the conversation when I discuss or shop luxury brands.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Correct, however, when shopping for a luxury brand the last 7-8 years or so I look to Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. So while you are correct as indicated, in a way, it does prevent them from being a luxury brand.... to me at least... b/c they're not even the conversation when I discuss or shop luxury brands.
I agree, Although Acura makes some good value vehicles, When shopping for a luxury brand i never put Acura in that same picture or comparison.

Only one of my co-workers or friends when buying an Acura ever considered it to the above brands and after 2 months of owning his RL was extremely disapointed. He gave the car back after the lease and bought a LS460 vowing to never consider an Acura again when looking for a true Luxury vehicle.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM
The Box

Originally Posted by cp3117
I agree, Although Acura makes some good value vehicles, When shopping for a luxury brand i never put Acura in that same picture or comparison.

Only one of my co-workers or friends when buying an Acura ever considered it to the above brands and after 2 months of owning his RL was extremely disapointed. He gave the car back after the lease and bought a LS460 vowing to never consider an Acura again when looking for a true Luxury vehicle.
I'm not dogging anything/anyone here but you can't compare a RL to an LS460 IMO. I was personally extremely disappointed with the 05+ RL when they came out.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vas25tl
I'm not dogging anything/anyone here but you can't compare a RL to an LS460 IMO. I was personally extremely disappointed with the 05+ RL when they came out.
I think a GS out classes the RL all round, the LS is in a different league all together.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
The Box

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I think a GS out classes the RL all round, the LS is in a different league all together.
I agree 100%
Old 10-07-2009, 03:46 PM

I agree, those are two completely different animals. Sounds like he shot too low at the target the first time around.

I do like the '05+ RL very much though, probably my next car.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by TheMirror
I agree, those are two completely different animals. Sounds like he shot too low at the target the first time around.

I do like the '05+ RL very much though, probably my next car.
Funny, I was looking at an 04 / 05 Legend (here in Japan, the 2nd gen was available in 2004 mid-June), but the cost was a bit more than I would have liked for a used car.

Never even thought of the Lexus, as the price is astronomical. And truly, it is a different class of car. I love the RL too. I think it's one slick ride with comfort and a dash of sport, but it is not even remotely close to the LS. I see where it compares to the GS though.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I would have to say that I still really like the last gen RL, TL, and TSX. Its just too bad Honda totally jumped the shark when restyling them for this gen....
Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
This is true. (Sorry, i should have done a better job explaining my point)

In the fall of 2005 when he bought his 06 RL it only took him a couple months to see that the RL overall didnt meet his quality and service standards like he thought it should have. Four years later when his lease expired his financial situation was even better and he bought the LS460, but even if Acura had a comparable vehicle he said he wouldnt have looked at Acura due to its poor build quality and Honda like service.

He best put it this way "When you put an Acura beside another luxury brand (ie: Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, etc) it looks like its very comparable and a great value, but once you touch the Acura and sit inside it and put it in drive, thats where it all ends".
Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
The Box

I would have to say that I still really like the last gen RL, TL, and TSX. Its just too bad Honda totally jumped the shark when restyling them for this gen....
I'd drive an 04 RL before an 05....I think they're a better bang for your buck, not because they're dramatically cheaper.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by cp3117
This is true. (Sorry, i should have done a better job explaining my point)

In the fall of 2005 when he bought his 06 RL it only took him a couple months to see that the RL overall didnt meet his quality and service standards like he thought it should have. Four years later when his lease expired his financial situation was even better and he bought the LS460, but even if Acura had a comparable vehicle he said he wouldnt have looked at Acura due to its poor build quality and Honda like service.

He best put it this way "When you put an Acura beside another luxury brand (ie: Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, etc) it looks like its very comparable and a great value, but once you touch the Acura and sit inside it and put it in drive, thats where it all ends".
In 2004 I bought an Acura TSX, I didn't even consider an A4 at the time because I didn't think it looked good inside or out. In 2004 the TSX also easily beat out the A4 in Car and Driver.

Since then I've been getting my TSX serviced at the local Acura dealer, and every time I had the option to get a loaner. I could also get a free car wash at the Acura dealership at any time. I would swing by now and then to get my car washed.

I just bought an Audi A4 and before I even got my first service I already found out that at my local dealer there is no free loaners and no free car washes, only when you get the car serviced.

As far as high-end service goes, Acura 2, Audi 0. I didn't get loaners and car washes at my Honda dealer either, so far Audi's looking more like Honda than Acura is from that point of view.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Lexus is a cut above Acura in terms of prestige; however, in terms of their products, I don't think Lexus is superior to Acura. Lexus certainly gets more recognition than Acura because their lineup is nearly twice the size of Acura's and they have been far more assertive in their product marketing and product development than has Honda/Acura.

To each their own; there will always be status seekers who try to out-do their neighbors by having a fancy Lexus. Though not all Lexus owners fall into this stereotype, a significant percentage certainly do. That's their perogative. I prefer not to blend in and prefer Acura as it's a superior alternative, in my opinion. Nonetheless, both are excellent brands and offer phenomenal products that few can compete with in terms of long term reliability.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclass88
Nonetheless, both are excellent brands and offer phenomenal products that few can compete with in terms of long term reliability.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

I just bought an Audi A4 and before I even got my first service I already found out that at my local dealer there is no free loaners and no free car washes, only when you get the car serviced.

As far as high-end service goes, Acura 2, Audi 0. I didn't get loaners and car washes at my Honda dealer either, so far Audi's looking more like Honda than Acura is from that point of view.
I guess it can vary from region to region. My experiences have only been where I've lived and had my cars serviced (NY, NJ, and NC).

The Audi dealer in NY was only slightly better then the Acura dealers up there... however, down here it's night and day. The way we get treated, you'd think we dropped $200k on a car. Free maintenence, loaner car each time (and always an Audi... not a rental like Acura), flexibile pickup/drop-off (countless times my wife has been busy and kept the loaner overnight)... and so on.

The Mercedes and BMW dealers are like that as well. Not sure about Lexus here, but in NY they blew away Acura.

So yeah, dealer experiences can vary, however, in the 3 states we have experience, Audi (and BMW/Mercedes/Lexus) have always trumped Acura. Sometimes barely, sometimes by a mile... but they've always been better.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
In 2004 I bought an Acura TSX, I didn't even consider an A4 at the time because I didn't think it looked good inside or out. In 2004 the TSX also easily beat out the A4 in Car and Driver.

Since then I've been getting my TSX serviced at the local Acura dealer, and every time I had the option to get a loaner. I could also get a free car wash at the Acura dealership at any time. I would swing by now and then to get my car washed.

Not sure I totally get this statement. What dealership gives out loaners to people NOT getting their car serviced???
Old 10-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Not sure I totally get this statement. What dealership gives out loaners to people NOT getting their car serviced???
That wasn't clear, the "anytime" thing was only for car washes.

And yes, service varies reginally. I know a guy who gets his A3 serviced in Toronto and a guy comes to his house to pick up the car and he gets an A4 loaner.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

That wasn't clear, the "anytime" thing was only for car washes.

And yes, service varies reginally. I know a guy who gets his A3 serviced in Toronto and a guy comes to his house to pick up the car and he gets an A4 loaner.
Thats excessive, I wouldn't want to pay for that.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm the Firestarter

He gets that as part of some VIP package that came with the car (he didn't even pick that, he took over a lease and that car automatically came with that service package).
Old 10-09-2009, 03:15 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
I guess it can vary from region to region. My experiences have only been where I've lived and had my cars serviced (NY, NJ, and NC).

The Audi dealer in NY was only slightly better then the Acura dealers up there... however, down here it's night and day. The way we get treated, you'd think we dropped $200k on a car. Free maintenence, loaner car each time (and always an Audi... not a rental like Acura), flexibile pickup/drop-off (countless times my wife has been busy and kept the loaner overnight)... and so on.

The Mercedes and BMW dealers are like that as well. Not sure about Lexus here, but in NY they blew away Acura.

So yeah, dealer experiences can vary, however, in the 3 states we have experience, Audi (and BMW/Mercedes/Lexus) have always trumped Acura. Sometimes barely, sometimes by a mile... but they've always been better.
The acura dealer where I take my tsx for service is excellent-loaner cars are acuras not rentals (I get to choose from the tsx, tl or mdx). Many times I have kept the car either overnight or a few days as I was busy to return it. I have driven it over 500 miles also. I have received alot of free maintenance including oil/filter changes, tire rotation/balances, cabin/pollen filter changes.The acura dealer near me is on the lousy list so I try to get it serviced still in PA. I drop my car off, get a loaner car, visit with friends and family and then bring back the loaner car the next day and get my car back
Old 10-09-2009, 03:55 AM
Burning Brakes

So noob question: if im just getting say an oil change done at the Acura dealership which is estimated at about an hr wait time, can i just ask them to give me a loaner for the day and just leave my car their? Is that a service that they HAVE to provide?

Quick Reply: Acura vs Lexus