Is Acura Over-rated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Acura Over-rated?

As much as I hate the forum over at MT, it's highly addicting due to all the idiotic posters. found this one, sadly, i couldn't disagree with the OP. thoughts?

Is Acura over-rated?

Acura really needs a bounce back.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Time to drag out the dead horse and beat it again.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
yes.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Time to drag out the dead horse and beat it again.
ha, yeah, i really didn't mean to beat a dead horse. just wanted to get out of the acurazine circle and read the opinions of others on other forums, regardless if they share the same view or not.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Race Director

Acura is overrated while Infiniti is underrated.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Mokos23
Acura is overrated while bacon is underrated.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Acuras Only in

I didn't get Acura because it was so hyped up .. got it for its reliability & performance . not necessarily the name ...
Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Back in a TL again.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shooter
I didn't get Acura because it was so hyped up .. got it for its reliability & performance . not necessarily the name ...

I think the Mercedes name in general is over hyped, but thats for another thread. Although those AMGs are pretty wicked.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Back in a TL again.

they maybe a little but hell i liked all my acuras minus one my current one...........would i buy another one falk

there are other car companys that are way to overrated though......
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
hates the winter

IMO, Acura's arent overated at all. They offer a little bit of everything for a reasonable price. They are highly reliable, have great dealer service, good resale value, and look good (matter of opinion). They aren't expensive to own either.

If anything BMW, Merceded, Audi, Saab, are overated, overpriced, and expensive to own. And as for the Honda/Acura deal, there is Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti. So for the OP over there who seems just to HATE on Acura has no real knowledge. It's just his opinion.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
If you hang around here long enough how could you possibly think they're overrated? If anything, they're being underrated considering sales are still pretty good yet we're throwing more and more dirt on the coffin everyday.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You guys make it sound like being overrated is a bad thing, while I think that is actually the goal of the premium brands. I think the fact that Acura has no brand image, and a bad one if any, makes them not overrated. They produce decent cars, and most of their models sell for what they were designed for...reliable transportation with some performance and some luxury, so i wouldn't even say they are underrated either. But not being overrated is indicative of Acura's image problem.

To define my definition of "overrated" is the amount of disconnect between the measurable/tangible qualities (comparative reliabiltiy, comparative safety, actual quality, fuel economy, tech options, etc.) vs. the intangibles (brand image, perceived quality, perceived safety, perceived performance superiority, styling, etc.). The larger the disconnect between tangible qualities and intangible qualities, the more overrated. The premium segment exists in order to sell cars by being overrated. That's what it means to have a "prestigious" image...that your cars are overrated because it offers things above and beyond things that can be measured and tangible. Look at BMW and MB. Are their models that cost thousands more than the competition worth thousands more than the competition? No...but they can sell more models for thousands more because they are overrated. Another example is Volvo...Volvo is perceived as "safe", but is it really safer than a comparative Honda/Acura model? Most likely not by much, but the perception allows them to place a premium (even if only in perception if not in price) on that perceived safety image.
Lexus is almost overrated because even though they offer the "tangible" qualities, they are starting to rely on "intangibles" to sell their cars at a premium. Infiniti is not overrated yet, and neither is Acura...but in the premium segment, your goal is to become overrated.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
IMO, Acura's arent overated at all. They offer a little bit of everything for a reasonable price. They are highly reliable, have great dealer service, good resale value, and look good (matter of opinion). They aren't expensive to own either.

If anything BMW, Merceded, Audi, Saab, are overated, overpriced, and expensive to own. And as for the Honda/Acura deal, there is Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti. So for the OP over there who seems just to HATE on Acura has no real knowledge. It's just his opinion.

you are right BMW is overrated and overpriced, but isn't that for all the german makes even VW? the only german car i really like anyways are audis.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by shooter

The unfortunate problem we are having is that Acura hasn't kept up with their reputation and drive and so we're left with sub par Hond...Acuras compared to other manufacturers car which are providing more performance and more luxury for the same price.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

The unfortunate problem we are having is that Acura hasn't kept up with their reputation and drive and so we're left with sub par Hond...Acuras compared to other manufacturers car which are providing more performance and more luxury for the same price.
exactly
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mokos23
you are right BMW is overrated and overpriced, but isn't that for all the german makes even VW? the only german car i really like anyways are audis.
Many will argue that a Audi is an overpriced VW just like Acura to Honda.

And to be honest, I think VW pricing isn't bad compared to Honda pricing. I think Honda's are overpriced a lot more than VW's.

Remember, value is subjective.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
me,gill,and tl-s

german luxury brands suck for the fact that it costs so damn much to maintain. i purchased an acura because there is less negative impact on my wallet when i need to do major service. funny how all of those people forget that all domestic car companies are going to have to go FWD or increase there fuel economy to retain there RWD.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which brand offers more luxury than Acura for the same price? “sub par”...to what?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Race Director

Many will argue that a Audi is an overpriced VW just like Acura to Honda.

And to be honest, I think VW pricing isn't bad compared to Honda pricing. I think Honda's are overpriced a lot more than VW's.

Remember, value is subjective.
you're right about that, actually more right about VW's being better priced than hondas. my folks owned a Mercedes ML320 and it was so expensive to maintain due to the parts, so my mom got an MDX and traded in the ML. but, now my mom in the future wants to get a BMW I think. my gf though is a big fan of Audi, Infiniti, Nissan, and Lexus, but hates BMW and Honda.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mansa24
Which brand offers more luxury than Acura for the same price? “sub par”...to what?
Ever compared an A4 to a TL? Audi's aren't as overpriced as bimmers IMHO, but I feel they offer much more luxury than an Acura.

Same goes for the A4/A3 vs the TSX.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesnt the A4 with the 3.2L V6 start at $36,000? Once you load it up with similar options, youre looking at way over what theyre asking for a TL.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Doesnt the A4 with the 3.2L V6 start at $36,000? Once you load it up with similar options, youre looking at way over what theyre asking for a TL.
The prices aren't that different. And the Type-S is more expensive than the A4. Either way, I'd opt for the 2.0T They are heavily detuned, and when the chip is upgraded, can offer more performance than the Type-S TL IMO.

3.2 TL vs A4 3.2

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...eId1=100882881

3.5 TL-S vs A4 3.2

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...eId1=100882881

Sure some people may get a great deal on a TL that is under what the A4 may sell for, but i'm sure some A4 buyers have done the same too.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 04-24-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
Plus, the TL is bigger than the A4, or at least bigger than the A4 was when the 3rd-Gen TL came out. TSX competes with A4, TL competes with A6, but you can get a TL for about the same $ as the A4. Depends what you want, real wood and better leather or a bigger car? And don't even get me started on the difference in reliability...

<--- Owned an '01 A4 before my '04 TL.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Instructor

I was talking to a sales guy from our Japanese division one time, and i asked him about how Lexus was doing in Japan. According to him, Lexus sales aren't doing well because Toyota just rebadge a lot of their Toyotas, called them Lexus and jacked up the price.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by elessar
Plus, the TL is bigger than the A4, or at least bigger than the A4 was when the 3rd-Gen TL came out. TSX competes with A4, TL competes with A6, but you can get a TL for about the same $ as the A4. Depends what you want, real wood and better leather or a bigger car? And don't even get me started on the difference in reliability...

Please don't jump on the bandwagon about the "reliability" of the A4, because the current A4 is pretty damn reliable. If you were to say the last gen A4 was unreliable, I would have no agrument with you as it did have a lot more issues. Audi has taken many, MANY steps ahead in reliability in the A4 and the A3. Now they just need to work on the poor depreciation.

The A4 changed in '05 I believe to the B7 platform. It's just unfortunate that you are comparing the LAST generation A4 and making an issue about reliability of the current models.

head over to audiworld and Audizine, and you'll hear they may have gripes about certain things, like we acura owners don't, but there isn't really much discussion about reliability issues at all.

My best friend bought his B7 A4 3.2 6spd almost 2 years ago now and hasn't had a single mechanicla issue with it. And he drives his car pretty hard most of the time.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

^^^ and to add, if the reliability issues were prevalent, I wouldn't have ordered an A4 Avant this past February.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

@ Acura reliability. Transmissions that die at 10k mi.....rattles galore that never go away....piss poor paint.....horrible front brakes....on and on we go.

Don't stand on the Acura reliability soap box.....you will look stupid.

..again other mfg. have reliability issues too, but to make it seem that Acura's are bullet-proof.....seriously now.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Team Owner

@ Acura reliability. Transmissions that die at 10k mi.....rattles galore that never go away....piss poor paint.....horrible front brakes....on and on we go.

Damn I didn't even think about those argument points.

..again other mfg. have reliability issues too, but to make it seem that Acura's are bullet-proof.....seriously now.

As much as my integra is "reliable" it has it's own share of known issues, especially with the cooling system, and radiators that are known to fail. On both my integra's the radiator's have failed. But I put up with it because it's a great all around car.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Damn I didn't even think about those argument points.

As much as my integra is "reliable" it has it's own share of known issues, especially with the cooling system, and radiators that are known to fail. On both my integra's the radiator's have failed. But I put up with it because it's a great all around car.
People said I was nuts for buying a BMW product...reliability horror stories...etc, but my car is miles away more reliable and enjoyable than my CL-S ever was.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Return of the Ring

^^^ and to add, if the reliability issues were prevalent, I wouldn't have ordered an A4 Avant this past February.
If all that is true, I may someday consider buying another Audi, but they're going to need to prove themselves for a few more years before I can get past the memory of my '01. So yes, I was comparing to the last-gen A4 because that's the only one I've had direct experience with.

I do miss the nicer interior and AWD of my old A4, but I had so many problems with it I was terrified to drive the damn thing over any significant distance. Who knows, maybe if they have truly gotten past those things, I may go back to the dark side for my next car.

I would have been almost certain to get a 4th-gen TL with SH-AWD (or maybe even an RL), but with that double-secret power plenum monstrosity they're slapping on all their new models, I think that ship has sailed. I'll do some research on the reliability of the more recent Audis. I guess if Hyundai and GM can turn it around, anything's possible.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

I had an 01 CL-S with transmission and electrical problems.

I now own an 03 A4 with frequent coil pack and turbo problems.

It's really a toss up on which is more reliable from my limited experience.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Return of the Ring

All I know is, having owned both, it's been a night-and-day difference.

'04 TL: had tranny replaced at 70k miles; Acura ended up covering most of the cost, even out-of-warranty. No other issues after ~82k miles.

'01 A4: had ignition cylinder replaced TWICE, first time when the car was just over a year old; both headlights blew out within a week of each other, again after about a year; numerous problems with the headlight washers and wiper system (loose hose caused all fluid to leak out); once was driving at night and kept getting flashed by other drivers, only to realize that even though I had turned my lights on, NONE of the outside lights were actually on; at just over 60k miles, catalytic converter crapped out and stranded me in Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving weekend....... no thanks!

Last edited by elessar; 04-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

All I know is, having owned both, it's been a night-and-day difference.

'04 TL: had tranny replaced at 70k miles; Acura ended up covering most of the cost, even out-of-warranty. No other issues.

'01 A4: had ignition cylinder replaced TWICE, first time when the car was just over a year old; both headlights blew out within a week of each other, again after about a year; numerous problems with the headlight washers and wiper system (loose hose caused all fluid to leak out); once was driving at night and kept getting flashed by other drivers, only to realize that even though I had turned my lights on, NONE of the outside lights were actually on; catalytic converter crapped out and stranded me in Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving weekend....... no thanks!
See Justin's post....pretty much sums it up.
IMHO Acura reliability is no more than any other make.

When my tranny failed just past 10k...it was alot of arm twisting for Acura to take care of it...even though it was a known issue. Never a recall.....just a day late - dollar short warranty extension for the tranny.
Not to mention I had the rear window removed and reset, rear deck removed and reset to "fix" massive rattles which never went away regardless of all the attempts made to fix them. Icing on the cake was replacing the front brakes at 10k at the same time the tranny was getting replaced...and having the dealer say that 10k on brake replacement was within "normal" limits?!?!?!?!?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Return of the Ring

See Justin's post....pretty much sums it up.
IMHO Acura reliability is no more than any other make.

When my tranny failed just past 10k...it was alot of arm twisting for Acura to take care of it...even though it was a known issue. Never a recall.....just a day late - dollar short warranty extension for the tranny.
Not to mention I had the rear window removed and reset, rear deck removed and reset to "fix" massive rattles which never went away regardless of all the attempts made to fix them. Icing on the cake was replacing the front brakes at 10k at the same time the tranny was getting replaced...and having the dealer say that 10k on brake replacement was within "normal" limits?!?!?!?!?
Damn dude... what was it, a 2nd-Gen TL? I'm glad my 3rd-Gen hasn't been like that or I'd be riding a freakin' bicycle to work now.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Man, Acura is not going as we'd like, but that OP in the MT forum has an axe to grind.

I criticize Acura too, but only because I'd like to see them be better. My plan is to hold on to my RL as long as possible and see what Acura's going to do in the next few years. If they tank.....well, there's always Cadillac, which is frankly edgier than Acura nowadays and much better at building buzz about new models.

Glad someone brought out the dead horse graphic, it's appropriate.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Return of the Ring

Originally Posted by Justin.CL
I had an 01 CL-S with transmission and electrical problems.

I now own an 03 A4 with frequent coil pack and turbo problems.

It's really a toss up on which is more reliable from my limited experience.
Ok, fine! Reliability is a toss-up on either one; apparently I just ended up with a good Acura and a bad Audi. I still say you can buy more car for your money with Acura, so it's a better value, at least until they jack up all the prices for the new SH-AWD models...

Quick Reply: Is Acura Over-rated?