Acura MDX for an '04 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX for an '04 TSX

Hey there, first time poster.
We've long been an Acura family, starting with a Legend and then onto an Integra, TSX and an RDX.
We currently have a 2010 RDX (90,000 miles) and a 2004 TSX (110,000 miles).

As we approach parenthood, we're thinking about our next car move. Since the current cars don't pose any problems, we could just keep them for as long as possible and enjoy not having any car payments (one of us only drives on weekends primarily).

Questions
  1. Should we trade in the TSX?
  2. Should we upgrade to the MDX or just another RDX?
Main Concerns:
  • I'm not thrilled about spending around $30,000 on a newer car but feel like I probably will have to if we go the route of an MDX. I've look around some. Am I right to assume that we'll probably be in that price range for a model that is AWD, a 2013+, and with less than 35,000 miles?
  • Do we really need an MDX and an RDX? Would 2 RDX's be good enough?
  • We bought the 2010 RDX in 2014. We've had the 2004 TSX since 2005. The RDX is driven 60+ miles per day while the TSX is only driven on the weekends. I'm leaning towards trading in the TSX for a newer car and keeping the RDX. But does it make sense to trade the RDX in instead?
  • I'd love to have my wife stick with the SUV and me stick with a sedan (like an ILX or early model TLX). But she thinks she needs an SUV bigger than an RDX.
Request
We'd love to hear what your thoughts, especially if you've been a parent who has needed to work through issues like this.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Let me start by saying that I don't have kids, bu I do have the same cars as you ('09 RDX and my GF has an '08 TSX).

First, live with the cars you have and see what they're like with a kid. I think the RDX will have plenty of room to easily get a car seat in/out. The TSX will be a bit trickier (but can probably be done). I have a friend that gets two car seats in the back of her Pontiac G5 coupe (I know the backseat is super tights because it's my GF's old car).

If you do decide to move up in size, I'd be tempted to keep the TSX. You can move from an RDX to a TSX without any real loss in MPG's. It would be nice to still have one commuter/errand car that gets good MPG's (may not be a big concern for you).

Another thing that would be on my mind is a college fund. I wouldn't risk putting myself in a situation where I'm buying a car at the sacrifice of more important things (again, may not be an issue for you).
Old 12-28-2016, 09:06 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
Keep what you have until you find it to be a problem. Then you'll be able to decide what you actually need. In the mean time, save your money. I hear kids are expensive.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
First off welcome to the Forum.

I am not a parent but I have made car choices to fit my growing family of dogs. A couple of things to think about here that come to my mind in this decision. First things first when you say parenthood how many kids? 1,2,3? When traveling and on a daily basic do you ever max out the space available in the RDX? With more than just you and the wife in the car you might like the extra space that the MDX has. I can see doing 1 kid in the RDX but with 2 kids I would think it would be tight. One large diaper bag, possibly 2 strollers, plus luggage for you both if traveling at all and the RDX probably won't hold all of that.

Gas mileage for the MDX will obviously be worse than the RDX. Who is driving the RDX 60+ miles a day? From you post it makes it seem like that is your wife since you said you would like to stick with a sedan I am assuming the TSX is what you primarily drive. Just putting pieces together for that so I could be wrong. If whoever is driving 60+ miles a day is going to be doing that in the MDX then upgrading to an MDX and keeping the RDX might make more sense. If whoever is driving 60 miles a day can do it in the TSX instead then I would upgrade the RDX to an MDX as it would probably also be the better trade in and keep your cost to get the MDX down.

I think you would be in the mid $35k range for the model you are looking for especially if you go with one that has the tech package. I don't believe that two RDX really makes sense personally as you are not really gaining anything more in size if everyone is going the same place in one vehicle. You would be better off getting a larger sedan at that point like an early model TLX. I think the ILX is honestly a step down size wise for interior space and cargo volume from the 2004 TSX you have.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ! The key statement here is "my wife wants to drive a SUV bigger than a RDX". Your decision has already been made for you by your wife, and you want to keep your wife happy. Trade in your RDX for a MDX. Yes, mileage is worse, but if she's doing 60 miles of mostly highway commuting a day, 26 mpg on a SH-AWD is not really that bad.