Acura/Honda vs. Nissan/Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura/Honda vs. Nissan/Infiniti

I think this board rocks and will probably continue to read it even though my 2001 CL-S has been retired in my long list of cars

But I have a question for your guys - I think the G35 Sedan and Coupe is the sign of the direction of Infiniti ... what car do you think is the sign of times to come for Acura? I am really interested to see if they come out with a 4-door that leans more sport than the TL-S and that will depend a lot on what the 2004 TL-S will be. Just curious on thoughts here ...

Also - I have recently joined the ranks of Infiniti for the first time ever with the G35 Sedan for my wife's car. I have to tell you ... I was on my way to pick up a TL-S for her as I knew what it was and would have loved it. However - the G35 has so much technology in it ... I never made it to Acura. In addition - I am an IBMer and Nissan/Infiniti cars (unknown to me as I stop to look at G35 on way to Acura dealership) are sold to me at 4% under invoice !!! Would anyone on this board have done differently given that on the TL-S vs. G35? I have to say that the G35 leans more toward sport than the TL-S and I sure loved my CL-S and was WAY close to getting the 6MT CL-S as some of you recall.

So I guess my point is ... where is Acura going? Will it release something to compete with the G35 coupe? I sure hope they come back by Fall of 2004 when the lease on my RSX-S is up as I will always look to Acura, but I have to tell you ... Infiniti's at 4% under invoice will sure get a solid look from now on

Lots of good info on this board ... let me know your thoughts on Acura/Infiniti for the next 3-4 years.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a maroon G35 this weekend. I gotta tell you....it looked classy................real nice profile. i am VERY impressed. Havent driven one as yet.....maybe i will wait till the coupe comes out:P
Old 07-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Loseit
I saw a maroon G35 this weekend. I gotta tell you....it looked classy................real nice profile. i am VERY impressed. Havent driven one as yet.....maybe i will wait till the coupe comes out:P
Was just reading your other thread on your delima with the 6MT CLS ... I have to tell you ... if you want a G35C you better get to an Infiniti dealership QUICK if you want one anytime soon. Those suckers are a hot item ...

I really think the G35 has a legit shot at holding some value if the G35 and G35C are both big hits.

I think Infiniti and Acura are going to duke it out in the 25-35K range in the next few years and let Lexus fight MB and BMW in the top end
Old 07-22-2002, 11:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where and how were you able to get the G35 to price 4% below invoice?

I'm in the market for the 6-speed CL-S (we'll see if they can negotiate more...funds are limited), but my bro is in the market for the G35. Would be nice to see the 2 in a comparo up close.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:57 AM
Racer

Yeah, how were you able to get the G35 4% under invoice? I thought they were barely selling under MSRP.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by CLS16
Yeah, how were you able to get the G35 4% under invoice? I thought they were barely selling under MSRP.
The way I’m reading it, he got some kind of discount through where he works.

Shawn S
Old 07-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Shawn S
The way I’m reading it, he got some kind of discount through where he works.

Shawn S
Oh I see now. I get the same thing through the company I work for, but my discount is only for GM cars....I wish my discount was for Nissan's or Infiniti's!
Old 07-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice technology and the looks are great except that whack lookin back end......ugh, i love everything else, but i can't force myself to buy that car.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Just bought a 6spd in May. It was very close between the G35 and CL-S.

The difference, for me, was:
1) Price. The G35 with a couple necessary options (spt susp for instance) was a little high for what I was willing to pay and there was NO negotiating on price. Got the CL-S just a couple points over dealer cost.

2) Tranny. The manual for the G35 won't be available til the fall and most likely only on the coupe (see price above).

I loved the G35, drove it several times. Had to talk myself out of it - I'm so tight I squeak when I walk.

Don't get me wrong, the CL-S is very nice and will do me well for a couple of years.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Acura/Honda vs. Nissan/Infiniti

Originally posted by provench
However - the G35 has so much technology it

yes the g35 is such a breakthrough in technology on the automotive front ..........it makes one wonder how acura sells any TLS's at all...................could you please explain the differences in technology in the two cars ....thank you
Old 07-23-2002, 03:49 PM
Advanced

My insurance rep told me that Infinity has a low resale value. Is he correct?
Old 07-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Duck Fuke!

Originally posted by 6DUDE9
My insurance rep told me that Infinity has a low resale value. Is he correct?

i think LOW is an understatement
Old 07-23-2002, 04:38 PM

Infiniti's hold the re-sale value of a chicken turd....Nice cars but not outstanding.

The new Q was the direction Infiniti is taking, which no one still knows after a decade...

Acura is owned by Honda, a very conservative company. Don't expect nothing big, but who cares.

Both companies make good cars.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The plan that I got the car thru was Nissan VPP which is for Nissan vendors (like IBM who I work for).

As for the technology ... there is a lot that I like ... you will have to read up or talk to a GOOD sales rep to get all the details, but a few things I like are -

1) Continuously variable valve timing which I think is the same as what i-VTEC now does
2) Real sports tires and wheels (Acura take note)
3) Exhaust dynamically changes the chambers so it can be quiet, and then open up when you punch it
4) The engine is designed to drop out in the event of a hard front end crash (like Mercedes does I think)
5) side curtain airbags, etc
6) LED's used for brake lights ... has a certain cool factor, but also lights up faster AND they go brighter when you "panic break"
7) Auto up/down on all windows on drivers and all folks window controls
8) Very good paint job best I can tell so far - we'll see
9) Transmission which seems quite smooth, although Acura Sportshift shifts quicker and the Infinit always goes to manual mode in 4th gear ... not sure what's up there
10) Handling is EXCELLENT guys ... better than CL-S was and I would guess better than TL-S (appreciate this is just a seat of pants)
11) Very good low drag coefficient (the stole the LS430 approach of solving the problem under the car)
12) back doors open WIDE ... similar to my buddy who got the new BMW 745

That is the list as best as I can recall for now.

All I can say is go take one for a drive and try to find a good salesman who knows the car (or read stuff on the 'Net).

With all of the above AND getting a car that is setting at MSRP at below invoice ... it was really not even a hard decision for me and my wife. I might even check out the G35C in a few years if Acura/Honda doesn't give IBM'ers invoice price
Old 07-23-2002, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Styling of the G35 sedan

I do not like the rear end styling of the G35 sedan. The back end is cheesy. The side profile is very good, the front is ok but not that unique, the back is overdone. The front looks like a Lex SC430, the side is Audiish, but the rear is GM sports. It looks too tall and boxy in the back with that high bumper cover, maybe the coupe will smooth out some of that. I like the coupe styling better and only buy 2-doors anyway. The interior is not too exciting either.

My practical dream car would have Audi/German exterior, Lex interior, Acura user friendliness, G35 tech, and BMW sport, for $30-$35k........Ok, now where's my car???

The main thing the CLS misses is dramatic or unique styling. This is critical in a car is this premium sporty segment. This is where the G35 coupe may hit the sweet spot for a lot of buyers. Besides that, CLS 6speed comes closest to what I would buy.
I already got my G35 coupe brochure a while back, waiting to see the real thing in Sept.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:48 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by CLS16

Oh I see now. I get the same thing through the company I work for, but my discount is only for GM cars....I wish my discount was for Nissan's or Infiniti's!
Is that how your company punishes you
Old 07-23-2002, 08:50 PM
Subie Dubie

Re: Re: Acura/Honda vs. Nissan/Infiniti

Originally posted by jts1207

yes the g35 is such a breakthrough in technology on the automotive front ..........it makes one wonder how acura sells any TLS's at all...................could you please explain the differences in technology in the two cars ....thank you
I'm with you, other than a flip up Nav, where's the technology you're talking about ?
Old 07-23-2002, 08:58 PM
CL 6 speeder

I have driven the G35 sedan.. Its handeling and steering are awesome. I am waiting for the 6 speed and then i will make my acura/infiniti decision... You guys who dont like the looks of the back... go drive the car. I don't give a crap what the back looks like, this car is like a sports car. If the manual in decent, I'm sold
I cannot understand how looks can make a decision. Its really secondary for me.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:00 PM
Duck Fuke!

Originally posted by provench
The plan that I got the car thru was Nissan VPP which is for Nissan vendors (like IBM who I work for).

As for the technology ... there is a lot that I like ... you will have to read up or talk to a GOOD sales rep to get all the details, but a few things I like are -

1) Continuously variable valve timing which I think is the same as what i-VTEC now does
2) Real sports tires and wheels (Acura take note)
3) Exhaust dynamically changes the chambers so it can be quiet, and then open up when you punch it
4) The engine is designed to drop out in the event of a hard front end crash (like Mercedes does I think)
5) side curtain airbags, etc
6) LED's used for brake lights ... has a certain cool factor, but also lights up faster AND they go brighter when you "panic break"
7) Auto up/down on all windows on drivers and all folks window controls
8) Very good paint job best I can tell so far - we'll see
9) Transmission which seems quite smooth, although Acura Sportshift shifts quicker and the Infinit always goes to manual mode in 4th gear ... not sure what's up there
10) Handling is EXCELLENT guys ... better than CL-S was and I would guess better than TL-S (appreciate this is just a seat of pants)
11) Very good low drag coefficient (the stole the LS430 approach of solving the problem under the car)
12) back doors open WIDE ... similar to my buddy who got the new BMW 745

That is the list as best as I can recall for now.

All I can say is go take one for a drive and try to find a good salesman who knows the car (or read stuff on the 'Net).

With all of the above AND getting a car that is setting at MSRP at below invoice ... it was really not even a hard decision for me and my wife. I might even check out the G35C in a few years if Acura/Honda doesn't give IBM'ers invoice price

id ont know how much of this can be considered technology

1 honda has had vtec for years
2 real wheels?
3 ?
4 cars have had this feature for years........96 accords do this
5 i feel pretty safe in my cls even w/o side curtain air bags
6 cool factor?
7 no safety here
8 as you can tell so far huh........how old is it 3 months
9 is acuras auto harsh?
10 might handle a little better being rwd
11 low drag coeffient.....can u tell a difference
12 how far a door opens i dont think is technology
13 the acura puts out the same hp with a 3.2 as infinit with a 3.5

what a bunch of crap
Old 07-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

OK - instead of trying to turn this in to an emotional debate and call things crap ... lemme just try to clarify and leave it at that.

Guys - this is not "the G35 is good so the CLS/TLS is crap" ... just pointing out what Acura can and should respond to in this segment in the 2004 model year ... I had a CLS ... just trying to give my ... yes folks ... SUBJECTIVE opinion on a comparison between similar cars (really talking TLS here)

1) OK - yes they do ... and i-VTEC will be hopefully used in the next CLS/TLS which is more comparable to what G35 has
2) Dude - you think the CLS/TLS are fitting for a sports luxury coupe/sedan? The wheels are nice on CLS/TLS, but the G35 wheels on the sport package that I have sure look a lot like what a lot of aftermarket ones put on CLS/TLS's - that says something to me
3) Don't know what to say except to read up on what Infiniti has done hear
4) I don't think you are right on this ... but won't argue here as perhaps I just didn't know this was "common place" now
5) OK - so improvements are bad? Expect to see MORE safety in future CLS/TLS including this exact feature in the future
6) It's call unique styling ... also see the faster light up and panic mode brightness for those who like function ... we will see more of this ... intensity based on how hard you brake ... that would rock
7) ?
8) you are right ... but come on ... Acura/Honda is notorious for thin paint jobs and Infiniti has tried to up the ante
9) Again - not so much a "put down" of Acura to point out something nice Infiniti has ... my perception is Infiniti tranny is smoother (have you driven both like I have? Curious on your opinion if you have)
10) Handle a little better? hmm ... the CLS 6MT with the LSD might come close ... but guys ... this is where the G35 shines on par with IS300 ... please go test drive to appreciate - again ... real tires help as well
11) Gee - no I can't ... but MPG and wind noise are lower ... can I measure it ? No ... is it better? yes ... all I am saying is Acura should pay the same attention to under body air and MPG for Acura would be even better
12) Ok - but it should does show attention to detail in design
13) Good point So this tips the hat to Honda/Acura in something it always has done exception ... squeeze every ounce of efficiency to get power and maintain good MPG .... I think Acura still has the edge here even with the new G35 out ... but there are Nissan guys that swear by this 3.5 which will be in G35, G35C, and 350Z ... we'll see I guess

Hope this is seen as constructive discussion - anyone else have thoughts?

Originally posted by jts1207

id ont know how much of this can be considered technology

1 honda has had vtec for years
2 real wheels?
3 ?
4 cars have had this feature for years........96 accords do this
5 i feel pretty safe in my cls even w/o side curtain air bags
6 cool factor?
7 no safety here
8 as you can tell so far huh........how old is it 3 months
9 is acuras auto harsh?
10 might handle a little better being rwd
11 low drag coeffient.....can u tell a difference
12 how far a door opens i dont think is technology
13 the acura puts out the same hp with a 3.2 as infinit with a 3.5

what a bunch of crap
Old 07-23-2002, 10:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Red Rider

Is that how your company punishes you
Old 07-23-2002, 11:01 PM

Damn, not EVERYONE wants RWD. All these noobs are killing me, never paid RWD attention before, now they act like experts, wrecking their cars and sh!t. Bandwagon jumpers.
Same with people driving cars their whole life, then buying a SUV, driving it like a car and causing wrecks.
Same as the people complaining about the ride and tire life when a car has factory 17" tires, hell no it ain't the same as your previous car with 14" tires.

FOCKING NOOBS

G35 great driving car, if you can stand to be seen in it, good for you.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yikes - you ok man? I think perhaps for folks who do a lot of snow driving you have a point .... if that was your point

Or maybe you are just venting ....

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

FOCKING NOOBS

G35 great driving car, if you can stand to be seen in it, good for you.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Goldmember

just b/c my penis is big doesn't mean yours is small

can't the G35 and CL-S both be good cars? i like the G35 and would have probably gotten it if I bought a car today. but i love the cls too and quite happy with it. not 100% happy with the g35 styling and interiors and rear but oh well. when i'm looking to buy a new car in 5 years or so (and give the CL-S to family) i'm sure going to look at whatever replaces the G35, CL-S and IS300, and BMW 3series.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:30 PM

Venting a lil. No one was complaining about RWD until recently. Now everyone acts like an expert RWD better than FWD blah, blah blah and have never owned a RWD car. If Acura makes a kick-ass FWD car, why change? Hell even Chrysler will have rea-wheel drive with it's new LH series.....

All these cars are good cars, the 30k price range 5-10 years ago ABSOLUTELY SUCKED!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Venting a lil. No one was complaining about RWD until recently. Now everyone acts like an expert RWD better than FWD blah, blah blah and have never owned a RWD car. If Acura makes a kick-ass FWD car, why change? Hell even Chrysler will have rea-wheel drive with it's new LH series.....

All these cars are good cars, the 30k price range 5-10 years ago ABSOLUTELY SUCKED!
Very true, good time to be a car lover Unless you're Gray Davis.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:13 AM
__

I have owned a RWD car in the past and it sucked. The "better" ride isn't worth when it winter comes. It was horrible! Buy a FWD car u like and u soon forget the RWD's attributes. i hope Acura stays FWD. There needs to be a good luxo car that is FWD (excluding cars w/ awd)
Old 07-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Learn how to drive, have decent tires and FWD / RWD doesn't make any difference (until it gets 6-8 inches deep, then you've got a problem either way). Most of the US doesn't see real snow but a handfull of days a year. Good tires and (more importantly) driving technique has much more influence than FWD / RWD.