Acura CL-S vs BMW328i??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura CL-S vs BMW328i??

I am wondering how this two cars perform in a straight line. Assuming the 328 is 5 speed manual, and both are stock. I heard a story in the racing section that the two cars are even untill 100, when the 328 ( to ny surprise) "flew by" the cl-s. Anyone can confirm this story with me? This is just unbeliavable as cl-s have 260hp vs 193 in the bimmer. Is it RWD vs FWD problem or gearing? Thanks for the input.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:24 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

The biggest issue would be weight. The BMW weighs less, so the HP per 100lbs is a better ration than the CL-S. It's kinda heavy! I believe the Bimmer wud win in a straight line driven well.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 04-23-2001, 11:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
After 100 mph is gearing. Actually after 112mph is when the 4th comes along which is LONG.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 04-23-2001, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Does it have to do with RWD vs FWD. I was told RWD is better accelerator at high speed. I am yet to test this "hardly believable" truth. 260hp/3600 pounds vs 193/3200pounds. The weight to hp ratio seems to be on Cl-S side. Does it have something to do with the Cd (aerodynamic)?
Old 04-23-2001, 11:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Dont be a mag racer and claim to beat one based off of statistics, go run one and report back

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
CompTech Exhaust
Xephyr Cold Air Intake
Founding Member of the NO SCRATCHED RIMS CLUB

01'Acura Integra GSR
Old 04-24-2001, 12:10 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One question in mind, why a drag track is very slippery? If let us say we run on municipal airport runway would we have a better grip?

I still dont see how a CLS stock with an average joe can run 1/4 mile in 14.8s at 96.6 MPH ( Motor trend July 2000 comparo against 328ci, in 15.3 @ 89.6 MPH )

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 04-24-2001, 12:26 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Since our highways are hopelessly overmanaged by clueless DOT people, I guess a 1/4mi strip is the best (safest) place to go.

Too bad there aren't more of them though.
Old 04-24-2001, 12:30 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. I know about safety. But let me rephrase my question burning so much rubber from the slick tires would not make the track sliperry and has less traction?.

I mentioned a airport runway that could be used a temporary drag strip to see if it makes a difference. I all the time hear that this or that track was slick....

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 04-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nashua_Night_Hawk (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old 04-24-2001, 01:29 AM
Pro

Nashua,

I believe the term slick track has to do with the point where your car leaves the staging lane when launching. As you can guess, when the track has been well ran, there are droplets of water, as well as rubber pieces from slicks on the staging lane pavement. Now imagine trying to launch with your tires sitting on top a small layer of water droplets and rubber pieces (very minute) over the actual pavement. You got it...wheel spin baby! IMO

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 04-24-2001, 02:33 AM
Pro

Anybody else find it kinda funny that 'we' were racing M3s, then 330s, now we are comparing to 328s (fairer in my opinion), I hope I don;t see the day where I see the thread 'CL-S w/headers vs. 318 stock' hehe..

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim
Old 04-24-2001, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tunkz:
I am wondering how this two cars perform in a straight line. Assuming the 328 is 5 speed manual, and both are stock. </font>
I drive a '01 CL-S and my wife drives a E46 328I manual w/ sport susp. Although we have never run it into triple digits, we have often got into many lower speed contests.

Unless she gets a good launch, there is no contest. Even if she does nail it on launch, I will still pull on here. It normally starts off with us even (when I was stock) and by the end of first in the CL-S I'm 1 length ahead. This margin keeps getting greater as the speeds increased. Most of the time shutting down by 80 with several lengths on her.

Now starting from a roll is about the same (provided we hit the gears correctly) with maybe a slightly better edge going to the CL-S.

IMO, when properly launched, the 328i will have better short times than the CL-S. It can certainly get off the line quicker. But once moving the CL-S has a greater power band allowing it to pull ahead and continue there.

But also, hit the first tight hard turn.and she always catches me. The CL-S seems to prefer longer sweeping turns and not quick transitions. Primarily due to weight transfer and most of it being on the front wheels. The BMW, on the other hand, doesn't care what the turn is like. It just goes through it.

But Braking wise, I feel they are even. Both seem to stop just as well and fade is about the same. But there is significantly more dust from the BMW...
Old 04-24-2001, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
One question in mind, why a drag track is very slippery? If let us say we run on municipal airport runway would we have a better grip?
</font>
Normal radial street tires will have better grip on the street than at most tracks. Whereas slicks will hook up and perform better at the track than they would (if they could be driven) on the streets.

Differences in tire compounds and surfaces setup is the cause. This is why you shouldn't even bother heating up street tires (do a simple burn to help clean) is pointless. Getting little beads of rubber on street radials is almost like throwing down marbles and trying to walk on them.

But allow a slick to boil off those beads and make them tacky, then you have tremendous grip. Slicks are made to heat and retain that heat. Street tires do not...
Old 04-24-2001, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Scalbert what do you think of the luxury appointments on both bmw and acura. How different are the quality of the leather,dashboard?
I believe (according to the statistics) the 193 hp is no match with the 260hp acura in term of straight line acceleration. Bimmer is just way overpriced.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:45 PM
Ace rider

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tunkz:
Scalbert what do you think of the luxury appointments on both bmw and acura. How different are the quality of the leather,dashboard?
I believe (according to the statistics) the 193 hp is no match with the 260hp acura in term of straight line acceleration. Bimmer is just way overpriced.
</font>
My buddy has the 328Ci, and the interior he chose was leather with the genuine wood trim. In my opinion, the bimmer interior is much nicer quality wise (leather is softer, buttons feel more solid, wood is real). If you get leatherette in the bimmer, then I'd rather have the CL-S real leather. I prefer the CL gauges being deep within the circular holes vs. the plain lipped hood for bimmer gauges. The middle dash and the door trim is much better in the bimmer though. Plus I can't stand that bowling ball look, the wood in the bimmer makes you say "NICE". Ergonomically, I think they are both strong. Lighting is a toss up, the red is cool and relaxing, but kinda boring after a while. The white gauges that switch to lighted are nice in the CL. The nav in the CL is much easier to use than any bimmer nav (so far).

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler
Retired: 94 540i
Old 04-25-2001, 02:42 AM
Banned

Keeping a comment in mind about some guy keeping up with an M3 until 80mph, I would say that the CLS should 'slaughter' the 328i which has a 193bhp engine.

But then again, I am going by what a person claimed when racing an M3, I just how hes talking about an auto M3.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
Forums are now open at www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-25-2001, 05:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
BMW has a softer leather and better interior??? WTF!
i like BMWs but the only reason i wont get 1 is because of its leather..
M3sin... u can verify this for me..
Bimmers' seats r hard like rocks!!! IT S NOT COMFORTABLE AT ALL.... INCLUDING M3 and all the 3 series.... i dont know about 5 and 7 series tho.. cuz never sat in one..
Old 04-25-2001, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gto2050:
The biggest issue would be weight. The BMW weighs less, so the HP per 100lbs is a better ration than the CL-S. It's kinda heavy! I believe the Bimmer wud win in a straight line driven well.

</font>
I agree.... If ya want to go faster with the cls do some mods and cut the weight.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X8 Competition Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:12 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by M3Sins:
Keeping a comment in mind about some guy keeping up with an M3 until 80mph, I would say that the CLS should 'slaughter' the 328i which has a 193bhp engine.

But then again, I am going by what a person claimed when racing an M3, I just how hes talking about an auto M3.
</font>

By the way, that was me. A couple things to clarify. (1) We started from a rolling start at about 20 mph,him in front of me, not from a dead stop. (2) I have headers and intake. (3) Had I not braked I would have run into his bumper from the transition from 2nd to 3rd. (4) It was a stick (the guy lives in my neighborhood, and (5) he was giving it all he had--I know this b/c I ran into him yesterday outside our houses and he commented on how fast my car was and that he was not able to get in front of me to change lanes.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
Polarg M6 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
Denso Iridium plugs
35% metallic tint
Old 04-25-2001, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:

By the way, that was me. A couple things to clarify. (1) We started from a rolling start at about 20 mph,him in front of me, not from a dead stop. (2) I have headers and intake. (3) Had I not braked I would have run into his bumper from the transition from 2nd to 3rd. (4) It was a stick (the guy lives in my neighborhood, and (5) he was giving it all he had--I know this b/c I ran into him yesterday outside our houses and he commented on how fast my car was and that he was not able to get in front of me to change lanes.

</font>
JZ, I like your setup. Have you taken her to the track? I bet your times would be real good.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X8 Competition Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:09 PM
Banned

I wasn't going for you JZ. The setup you have is EXTREMELY believeable and totally doable, no BS for sure. I was actually talking about rwwlaw who posted the following:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
My car just broke over 600 miles tonight so I went out with my brother and his 98 M3 5spd to see the difference. 1st race: No traction but I had him til 80mph and he started pulling. 2nd: Same. 3rd He got me off the line and I paced him til about 80 and again he started pulling. 4th Again around 3rd gear he started pulling away. So Stock for stock they are very close but the M3 is faster. When I get the cold air and headers we will go at it again! Wish me luck
</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:

</font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-25-2001, 01:33 PM
Banned

As for softer leather in the 3 series, I agree, it is hard. But the reason for that is that harder leather gives the driver/passengers a more sporty feel to go with the firmer suspension and crisp handling. Being 20 years old, I have drove many different cars (Benz, BMW, Lexus, Toyotas, Pontiacs, friends viper, Vette).

Given the price of a $35k BMW vs a $35k Benz, the BMW would win anyday in the enjoyment of the driving experience. Lots of feedback to the driver from the car. If you move to the 5 series and 7 series, the leather gets more comfortable (I'm not a big fan of soft leather) unless you get the sport package which firms the leather up a bit (sport seats). In my old '96 328is w/ sport package, they didn't even put leather in it! It was like cheap imitation leather!!!! Bastards! At least now I have real leather in my M3 so I'm more happy.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oonowindoo:
Bimmers' seats r hard like rocks!!! IT S NOT COMFORTABLE AT ALL.... INCLUDING M3 and all the 3 series.... i dont know about 5 and 7 series tho.. cuz never sat in one..
</font>

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
www.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Old 04-25-2001, 06:01 PM
Ace rider

</font>
Sorry, I meant the leather, not the seats. I agree the seats are firmer, but I still think the leather is better in the bimmer, even the 3. The fake leather is real bad though.

------------------
01 Silver CL-S, Navi, Spoiler
Retired: 94 540i
Old 04-25-2001, 06:16 PM
KISS MY

</font>

I agree all except the M3 is got the leg support seats the leather is not as good in the 330,328 or what ever they are calling these days the M and the upper cars are better made... like the cl leather it looks nice... and is soft.. well last if you take care of it...

------------------
01- Acura CL silver 3.2-s
20% tint 35%front window
Bose Mods.. Mod's to come headers and springs
Old 04-25-2001, 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
i like my gf's dad's expedition leather =)
THAT SHIT IS TIGHT!!!