8 seat SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the new giant GM crossovers (Acadia, etc.) can seat 8 if you get the second row bench seat.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I think the new giant GM crossovers (Acadia, etc.) can seat 8 if you get the second row bench seat.
+1. The Traverse was already mentioned. You also have the Saturn Outlook (the Outlook and Acadia are better lookers).

For the same MPG as an Odyssey (because it's the popular pick), you get AWD. And if you're buying new, there shouldn't be much difference in price/you might be able to negotiate something even cheaper.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TL_Captain
to accommodate growing family, we got to get an eight seat SUV. don't really want a minivan. the selection is quite limited if exclude domestic brand junks.

what's available? what do you suggest?

following are the ones i can think of:

Toyota Sequoia (probably the best choice)
Toyota Land Cruiser (too much $$)
Lexus LX570 (can't afford)
QX56 (design is getting old)
there is also the Nissan version of QX56. forgot the name. too ugly to consider [MOD EDIT] Nissan Armada
Honda Pilot (nice package but sissy power)

can't think of any German with 8 seats. What else is available?
are the domestics really junk? as mentioned, the new GM crossovers like the acadia look like nice cars.

does the pilot really fit 8? does the cx-9 only fit 7?

of the cars you mentioned, it looks like the sequoia is the way to go for you.

(and at cunt rag)
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I'm simply tired of the Earth morality police that think they know what people need to drive.

If the Oddessy doesn't seat eight, then you aren't meeting his need. And he already said he doesn't want a minivan.
As unpopular as you may be in this thread, I'm with you. If the OP clearly states they do not want a mini-van (twice now...), stop suggesting mini-vans!

And as far as the morality police are concerned, I'm with you there too... I don't have any kids and some people were applaud when we bought an FX35 for my wife. I'm tired of being told by people that have never met me that they know what's best for me.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM
on to the next one...

Oh, and OP, have you considered the Lexus GX470? Slightly smaller, but can still hold a lot of people...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
I think back then only the EX and EXL had 8 passenger seating, and the Touring had a console in place of the middle seat, so it was strictly a 7 passenger. I don't remember about the EX model, but I know the EXL definately had 8 passenger seating in 2005. Which model do your parents have?
This must change from year to year or possibly country. When I bought in 07 the LX and EX came with the removable middle section to make it an 8 seater while the EX-L and Touring did not.

But lets get this back on topic. I like any of the GM quadruplets although you'll have to get that middle row bench to seat 8. And the 3rd row will be a tight fit for 3.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Now that I know it's to haul adults and not children, good luck finding an SUV with a *comfortable* third row to seat any adults for a span longer than 3 minutes. Definitely try 'em all out. You're going to end up with one HUGE SUV if you actually do find one large enough to comfortably seat 8 adults for any length of time. And getting in and out of the third row will suck too without sliding doors or benches/seats that are made for people to pass through without folding (eg: a van).
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Now that I know it's to haul adults and not children, good luck finding an SUV with a *comfortable* third row to seat any adults for a span longer than 3 minutes. Definitely try 'em all out. You're going to end up with one HUGE SUV if you actually do find one large enough to comfortably seat 8 adults for any length of time. And getting in and out of the third row will suck too without sliding doors or benches/seats that are made for people to pass through without folding (eg: a van).
Well, to be fair, that pretty much rules everything out. I know the many Chrysler vans that I've found myself into are a pain, and the seats all suck. Actually, I've yet to find a third row seat in any vehicle that is really comfortable for adults - E-series vans included.

OP - you might want to consider a Bluebird.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I looked for a long time for an SUV with a 3rd row and most that I saw had a 3rd row seat that would only work for kids (seats about/less than a foot above the floor). But I ran into my Envoy XL and there's actually enough room back there to sit comfortably. My brothers are 6'2" and 6'3" and they're comfortable back there. It has a tiered roof line so there's more head room in the 2nd and 3rd row and the 2nd row seats recline and fold up for the 3rd row passengers to get out. I actually wanted to get an Acadia instead, but after sitting in one, it's not as comfy/easy to get out as my Envoy.

However, if I had to do it again I'd probably go with a Sienna or an Oddy.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge Sprinter a la Jon & Kate Plus 8? Not really a minvan and its got a Merc turbodiesel.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Oh, and OP, have you considered the Lexus GX470? Slightly smaller, but can still hold a lot of people...

Oh yes. That's an excellent choice too....just one small issue. GX470 doesn't have curtain airbag to cover the 3rd row. I'd feel bad to let any of my love ones to sit in that row.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 PM
A clean ride is in

To me there's only one choice, Chevy Suburban. REAL seating for 8 plus enough room in the back to actually carry something.

If you really want to make a statement, Ford Excursion with Powerstroke and 4WD
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
oddy oddy
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
sinc you asked.....after owning the TL, no more domestic brands for me. TL is a dream. Just add gas and drive. No trouble & headache.

i just won't go back to domestic junks anymore. i'm too old to waste my precious time fixing car problems.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I had a 92 Cavalier, and that was more add gas and drive than my current Accord. Not that it's unreliable, just needs a tad more care.

That being said, if you need a comfortable 8-seater, I'd go with the Sequioa. Are you looking to buy new only? or used?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
sinc you asked.....after owning the TL, no more domestic brands for me. TL is a dream. Just add gas and drive. No trouble & headache.

i just won't go back to domestic junks anymore. i'm too old to waste my precious time fixing car problems.
Thats twice you've used "junks"....the plural of junk is junk.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
to accommodate growing family, we got to get an eight seat SUV. don't really want a minivan. the selection is quite limited if exclude domestic brand junks.

what's available? what do you suggest?

following are the ones i can think of:

Toyota Sequoia (probably the best choice)
Toyota Land Cruiser (too much $$)
Lexus LX570 (can't afford)
QX56 (design is getting old)
there is also the Nissan version of QX56. forgot the name. too ugly to consider [MOD EDIT] Nissan Armada
Honda Pilot (nice package but sissy power)

can't think of any German with 8 seats. What else is available?
What are your requirements: Price?, Towing?, 4-WD, gas mileage?, navigation?, new .vs. used?, cost of ownership? Is your Wife going to be the primary driver or you ? etc.

It's no surprise people were recommending the Ody because it is a nice people hauler. We have a Pilot and love it and have owned it for 4 years. I'm not sure about the power issue- our Pilot more than keeps up in traffic and flies up hills like the Grapevine towing a trailer even. The Pilot also gets anywhere from 18-24 MPG on the highway going 70mph (not towing) about about 15-18 towing depending on conditions. We have taken the Pilot on many semi-serious off road adventures and it has never gotten stuck. The Pilot seems like a pretty complete package at least for us.

I have to admit that I wasn't excited when my Wife was asking me about buying a Pilot at the time (I wanted a 4-runner), but I'm very glad we wound up getting a Pilot in retrospect.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Thats twice you've used "junks"....the plural of junk is junk.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
No room in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot.

If you change your mind about minivans, check out both the Oddy and Sienna, but otherwise, I'd definitely go with the Pilot.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
15 passenger van. i'm assuming you're going to be chauffering a bunch of people around pretty often thats why you want a large vehicle. if you guys are just going out together once in a while then buying a large vehicle for that reason is stupid. taking 2 cars is better.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
A clean ride is in

You can't beat this!!!

And it has 4WD!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Everyday Joe

We have a 08 Infiniti QX56 and love it. We got the 2nd row bench so we can seat 8 quite comfortably. Adults climb in the back and have plenty of room. It tows like a beast and is still refined enough of a powertrain to not feel like you're driving a "truck".

It is not the best looking exterior but the 08's and up have a redesigned interior that is fantastic. Quality materials and fit/finish. Even after 1 year and 15K w/2 kids, it has held up very well. Still looks brand new when I clean out the cheerios and juice boxes Tons of technology (HDD Nav, Keyless go, etc) for a very fair price. Gas mileage is what you would expect- we average 15 around town and 17 on the highway for a 4wd.

We drove EVERYTHING out there last year (GL450, Escalade, Tahoe, Denali, Sequoia, Q7, LX570, Land Cruiser, Enclave, Acadia, and probably something that I'm forgetting) and it came down to the Escalade, Sequoia, and QX. Escalade was ruled out bc of the archaeic 3rd row design that does not fold flat. We ended up not getting a Sequoia Platinum b/c the luxury was not there for the same price as the QX. Awesome powertrain but it felt like you were behind the wheel of 25K Tundra.

I love the folks harping on the minivan. Are they more practical? Sure, but then everybody would be driving Camcords. I was just talking to my buddy about his Sienna and he claims to only get 17 MPG from it. Sorry, but that difference is not worth it to me to drive one of those.

Get what you can afford and what you want.