7 Passenger SUV~~what to get?

okay..my dad is thinking about tradin in my mom's 2000 accord v6~
the needs...needs to be a 7 passenger~

so far i've thought about:

LX470
GX470
QX56
MDX

the QX 56 seems a little big for my mom to drive around...i heard both goods and bad for the GX~
we really don't have a limit on price as of right now...as long as its not like $80k~
i tried to get my dad to see the new oddy~ but he wants a suv..

gogogo~
Old 11-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gotta tell ya.. You're NOT going to get adult size 3 row seating in an SUV, unless it's a monster truck like a suburban or expedition.

I'd have recommended the '05 ody myself, but since he wants an SUV, why not check out the Pilot? The pilot has 3 rows of seats and a sweet VTEC V6.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:27 AM
has been here awhile

Well...it seems as though it's narrowed down to Japanese luxo SUVs. So, from your list I'd say get the LX470. We had one and absolutely loved it. It is the ultimate SUV and is just the right size. The third row is not the absolute best, but it's good enough for occassional usage (even by adults).

The materials are great; the leather is supple, the wood is beautiful, and everything is solid. We did have a few rattles (surprisingly), but that might have been because the thing is so quiet. Further, the air suspension is great--it allows you to choose super buttery plush to SUV jolty/firm. The adjustable ride height comes in handy for deeper snow or just taking the thing off the pavement occassionaly, or when you want to ease entry/exit. A little off topic, but the clamshell tailgate was another great feature. Kinda difficult to describe, but if you know the design, you'll understand what I mean.

I'd say at least give the Touareg a good look. Check it out at the dealership and see if it moves you. I'd take a Touareg any day--it's just such a great vehicle.

Further, just to further educate/inform you and the parentals, go check out the Land Rover LR3 (and/or Range Rover). Even if you don't end up purchasing one (or aren't even interested) you should at least go check it out, just to say that you did--then you won't be wondering what they're like after you purchase another vehicle.

Best of luck on the decision...
Old 11-27-2004, 12:36 AM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Well...it seems as though it's narrowed down to Japanese luxo SUVs. So, from your list I'd say get the LX470. We had one and absolutely loved it. It is the ultimate SUV and is just the right size. The third row is not the absolute best, but it's good enough for occassional usage (even by adults).

The materials are great; the leather is supple, the wood is beautiful, and everything is solid. We did have a few rattles (surprisingly), but that might have been because the thing is so quiet. Further, the air suspension is great--it allows you to choose super buttery plush to SUV jolty/firm. The adjustable ride height comes in handy for deeper snow or just taking the thing off the pavement occassionaly, or when you want to ease entry/exit. A little off topic, but the clamshell tailgate was another great feature. Kinda difficult to describe, but if you know the design, you'll understand what I mean.

I'd say at least give the Touareg a good look. Check it out at the dealership and see if it moves you. I'd take a Touareg any day--it's just such a great vehicle.

Further, just to further educate/inform you and the parentals, go check out the Land Rover LR3 (and/or Range Rover). Even if you don't end up purchasing one (or aren't even interested) you should at least go check it out, just to say that you did--then you won't be wondering what they're like after you purchase another vehicle.

Best of luck on the decision...
i forgot to put in the cadi~..but isn't cadi and the LX470 due for redesign soon?

LR3 looks nice...but i personaly think the back is UGLY~ and how is the relibility of Land Rovers?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:45 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by nahooneyya
i forgot to put in the cadi~..but isn't cadi and the LX470 due for redesign soon?

LR3 looks nice...but i personaly think the back is UGLY~ and how is the relibility of Land Rovers?
Well...rumor has it that there is no Land Cruiser/LX470 replacement. Talk has been that Toyota may Lexify a Sequoia and name it the VX. That's quite a way down the road, however.

As for the Cadillac...umm... IMHO, it's not worth the money. I think the Denali is a better value, as it has the same basic equipment level. Further, Escalades are the epitome of American tackiness. But that's just my opinion.

As for Land Rovers: I'm not so sure about the NEW models. Land Rover and Jaguar are slowly creeping up the reliability scale, so don't cross the LR3 off your list just yet. I think it would be wise to at least check it out. You can't go wrong by simply taking a test drive and at least seeing what Land Rover (or BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, etc...) is all about. Like I said, even if you aren't interested the slightest bit, walk into the showroom to see the competition--all I'm saying is that it's best to be an educated buyer.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:48 AM
A Commuter

i just saw a new nissa pathfinder commercial....

ARE THEY going to have a infinity version of the pathfinder??
Old 11-27-2004, 01:16 AM
Race Director

i like the mdx
Old 11-27-2004, 02:55 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I'd go MDX... the smaller engine just means better fuel economy. If the V8 isn't needed, why bother?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is for the MDX.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Ok, firstly, I am no fan of SUVs, i much prefer cars b/c you can swing them 'round corners without flipping over, BUT, we own an Escalade and despite the (ehemm) loud looks, the truck is a gem. It is supremely comfortable (just drove it from NY to Baltimore yesterday), blindingly fast and powerful (for a truck), and seats 7 comfortably...I'm 5'8" and have sat in the third row comfortably for some time. I think that honestly, when it comes to luxo SUVs, there are 3 on the market that are worthwhile - Porsche Cayenne, Touareg, and Escalade. When we bought the Caddy, we looked at all luxo SUVs, but we needed 3 rows as well, and the Escalade was the best. The LX470 is the clear overpriced SUV, without good 3rd row or even a spacious middle row. I know this forum isn't big on American cars (I mean, come on, neither am I, I drive a TSX!), but, when it comes to trucks, Caddy got it right with the Escalade
~ Steven (and of course, just my .02)
Old 11-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

:thisshouldbeapoll:
Old 11-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by a_TSX_4_Me
Ok, firstly, I am no fan of SUVs, i much prefer cars b/c you can swing them 'round corners without flipping over, BUT, we own an Escalade and despite the (ehemm) loud looks, the truck is a gem. It is supremely comfortable (just drove it from NY to Baltimore yesterday), blindingly fast and powerful (for a truck), and seats 7 comfortably...I'm 5'8" and have sat in the third row comfortably for some time. I think that honestly, when it comes to luxo SUVs, there are 3 on the market that are worthwhile - Porsche Cayenne, Touareg, and Escalade. When we bought the Caddy, we looked at all luxo SUVs, but we needed 3 rows as well, and the Escalade was the best. The LX470 is the clear overpriced SUV, without good 3rd row or even a spacious middle row. I know this forum isn't big on American cars (I mean, come on, neither am I, I drive a TSX!), but, when it comes to trucks, Caddy got it right with the Escalade
~ Steven (and of course, just my .02)
Isn't escalade just a reskinned version of Chevy Tahoe?
I've been driving '03 4runner for little more than a year, and have no complaints so far.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:34 PM
White and Nerdy

I'd check out some of the reviews in Car and Driver...here, they just had a comparision test of high performance SUV's:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7259

The Cadillac SRX V-8 won this contest.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:16 PM
has been here awhile

Found another comparison...large luxo SUVs. Yeah, the Cadillac won, but read the whole review. Throws in some other possibilities.

Edmund's Take on Large Luxo SUVs
Old 11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Honda Pilot or for more $ MDX.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:22 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by odessa
Honda Pilot or for more $ MDX.

does the pilot have 7 pass seating?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Drifting

does the pilot have 7 pass seating?
I think they claim 8 passengers.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Burning Brakes

We just test drove the LR3 actually has better 3rd row room than most of the ones you mention. I have owned 5 Rovers (Disco, Defender and three Series LRs) reliability can be an issue but it depends on expectations. Of the ones you mention the QX probably has the most room, the but has had some first year "issues". You didn't say what size human needs to fit in the third row. I personally like the Pathfinder/Armada or Q and the Pilot/MDX in the third row since they are IRS and fold flat and feel more open. We are shopping in the same niche though the LX is too pricey for us since it is a third vehicle. I love the GX interior but the cargo/passenger room on it and the 4Runner is rather small. I wouldn't get an MDX prior to 06 UNLESS I buy it a year from now when they are dumping them before the new model hits. If third row room isn't an issue I like the GX unless you can live with less reliability then the LR3 gets my nod, if you need a LOT of thrid row room look at the Armada and the QX56. Infiniti will certainly make a Pathy version and it will be significantly less than the GX since it will be made in the US. Of all the 7/8 seaters the Pilot, Pathy, Armada and Sequoia are the "best buys", the latter also has a lot of room and is very nice in Limited trim and has excellent 3rd row room despite no fold flat, though it is removable.

Vandy
Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Everyday Joe

i just saw a new nissa pathfinder commercial....

ARE THEY going to have a infinity version of the pathfinder??
THe word on the street is that Infiniti won't bring a PF type vehicle to the market. Besides, I've sat in the PF (considering it for a replacement for our current '01 PF) and did not even want to bother with a test drive b.c the back seat is tight...not the 3rd row, but the 2nd row. I'm convinced that I need to go to the bigger size (Tahoe, MDX, Expedition, Sequoia) crowd.
Good luck!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Instructor

I think that honestly, when it comes to luxo SUVs, there are 3 on the market that are worthwhile - Porsche Cayenne, Touareg, and Escalade... I know this forum isn't big on American cars (I mean, come on, neither am I, I drive a TSX!), but, when it comes to trucks, Caddy got it right with the Escalade.
Back in the spring, I drove the Escalade at the GM "Auto Show In Motion". Right after it we drove the other American competition from Ford, the Lincoln Navigator. I'd just like to comment that between those two, I would have to choose the Lincoln. It has a very classy, non-Ford interior and has some of the sweetest options, including the automatic running boards. The Caddy felt just like a Suburban or any other GMC/Chevy truck. There wasn't significant content changes to distinguish the Caddy from it's lesser brethren. The Caddy was more powerful than the Lincoln, but my friend and I who went to the show together definitely picked the Lincoln over the Caddy.

Unfortunately, there were no other competitors that we drove while there. We did drive the smaller SUVs like the Infiniti FX35, SRX, X5, and Pilot. Sorry about the , just felt I had to mention that.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Not to continue eidji's hijack (well, what else would someone from State do ;-), JK), but, I have to agree with his statement about the Escalade being similar to the Yukon, Suburban, etc. BUT, I think they are simply all great trucks! The difference is the price, and some say the changes are enough, most don't. To me, the engine (6.0L V8 with 345 BHP, etc.) in the Escalade differentiates it right there, but again, just my opinion (and granted its an owner's biased opinion)
Best,
Steven
Old 11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
LR3 or MDX.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
MDX. Though I'm biased....
Old 11-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Not to continue eidji's hijack (well, what else would someone from State do ;-), JK), but, I have to agree with his statement about the Escalade being similar to the Yukon, Suburban, etc. BUT, I think they are simply all great trucks! The difference is the price, and some say the changes are enough, most don't. To me, the engine (6.0L V8 with 345 BHP, etc.) in the Escalade differentiates it right there, but again, just my opinion (and granted its an owner's biased opinion)
Best,
Steven

Speaking of engines how about the Vdubs 10 pot oil burnin' turbo? 310 hp and a mere 553 lb/ft?

Now thats a stump puller!

Vandy
Old 11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Banned

My mom had the discovery 2...wouldnt recomend land rover, that thing was a POS.... MDX is nice thats what she has now and its not bad, kinda like a huge verson of our car.... Besides that maybe the new Chyrsler thing, what is that called the Pacifica...looks like it might be nice, selling fairly well where I am, and it did amasing in the roll over test...better then alot of cars

Edit: Might also want to check out the Volvo SUV, everyone seems to be happy w/ that...the Toreg seems allright, at least its selling better then its brother the Cayanne...sick truck but the worst porsh ever made
Old 11-29-2004, 09:09 PM
bleh...

The Lexus GX470.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by Agent_Chen
The Lexus GX470.
does anyone here own a GX?

and does Ford make the volvo SUV? like..does it use ford engine?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
MDX. Though I'm biased....
True that. We all(on this board) should be.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

does Ford make the volvo SUV? like..does it use ford engine?
No and no . Atleast for now. Ford iz Volvo's sugardaddy. The new V8 iz from Yamaha. Yamaha also made the V8 in the SHO of yore.