535xi Vs: A6 - Pros And Cons (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile 535xi Vs: A6 - Pros And Cons (long)

I'm trying desperately to decide between these two very fine automobiles. So far, based on a great deal of internet research and test driving the 535xi as well as looking at and sitting in the A7 (really a clone of the A6 but for the body style) here are some thoughts/observations:

Exterior - The 535xi is, indeed, quite conservative looking but then, so is the A6. In fact, the A6 is aruably too conservative and indistinguishable from the 2011 A6 (although it's a completely new vehicle. While I adore the A6's headlight treatment, I'm not sure they 'gel' well with the conservative, refined nature of the rest of the exterior (kind of like putting a disco globe in Le Cirque). I think they'll both age well and both are pretty much immediately identifiable as the marque they represent. Both manufacturers have now clearly embraced the "one sausage/three sizes" philosophy in their respective offerings. It's not easy to a 3/5/7 and similarly an A4/A6/A8 other than by reference to their size. Right now I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing as it helps with brand/marque cohesion but lessens the aesthetic options available to the consumer in some ways. I think the 535xi headlights are very, very attractive as well (only with xenon as the halogen angel eyes look just awful to me) though they lack the "OMG" factor that the Audi brings to the table here. From the rear, both cars are lacking and both trunk/tail light treatments are cures for insomnia. At least the A6 has some cool razor sharp tiny LED's integrated in their tail lights to add some punch to the otherwise uninspiring treatment. Viewed directly from the front, the nod goes to the 535xi. It's sculpted and muscular looking while the A6 remains a bit bland (absent the headlights, of course). The side view is where both cars really shine. They are both classic looking, mature cars that are certain not to be confused with lesser offerings. The side view is a dead heat AFAIK.

Engine - Again, here we have two superb powerplants but the A6's 3.0T is probably the superior of the two. More HP, more torque and, because it's supercharged and not turbo driven, absolutely no lag. Not that the 535xi is a slouch in this department, just that no matter how you design a turbo, there's always a certain amount of lag. And, because the A6 is significantly lighter than the 535xi I'm suspecting that it's be quicker than the 535xi at all speeds. Not that speed per se is the sine qua non of cars in this class, but it's always nice to know you have the power when, and if, you need it. Again, both superb engines but the 3.0T gets the nod here.

Interior - BMW interior have long been one of their Achilles heels. To their credit, BMW has improved their interior dramatically in the F-10 though it's still no match for the A6 which retains its position as the "best interior in class." Sure, the pop-up nav is a bit gimmicky but it does save valuable center stack spack when not in use and it's a very high resolution screen that lacks for nothing in the detail department. The seats and seating positions in both cars are as close to ideal as you're likely to find. Probably more comfortable than anything you're likely to find in your own home (lol). Dead heat here. Quality, craftsmanship and fit/finish are both as good as it gets so agin, it's hard to call a winner here. The only possible difference in the interior that purchasers may want to consider is that of the Audi MMI vs: the BMW iDrive. While iDrive has been improved significantly, the MMI system is still the more intuitive and user friendly.

Handling - BMW continues to be simply amazing in this category. We'll just have to wait for the A6 to land on our shores to see if it has closed the gap or remains the 'middle of the road' alternative to the BMW (sharp) vs: M-B (bland) dichotomy. While the A6 is certainly faster than the 535xi (0-60 5.5" vs: 6.0") the BMW is the handling champ until otherwise determined.

Reliability (Lack-O-Hastle factor) - Both cars leave a great deal to be desired here. The A6 is a brand new design (but for the 3.0T engine) so it has no reliabilty track record yet. The 3.0T engine has been very troublesome according to the Consumer Reports Annual car review though some on the Audi boards say that this was largely due to a faulty water pump design which has since been rectified in the current 3.0T engine. I guess time will tell. The 535xi has had myriad problems. From the RFT fiasco(s) to the HPFP issues, to steering grinding, pull to the right, etc. This is a real concern to a prospective buyer like me. It is, however reassuring that BMW seems to stand behind their warranties pretty well and most people seem satisfied with the treatment they get at their service departments. Audi OTOH has had a long and not-so-illustrious history of treating cutomers very poory and 'passing the buck' when it comes to rectifying service issues. I suppose this is highly dealer dependant matter but it is a significant concern.

Pricing - Interestingly one of the main attractions of the Audi had been it's price advantage over a similarly optioned BMW. In short. you could expect to save ~10% by going with an Audi over a comperable BMW or M-B. That seems no longer to be the case and it is a very significant issue for those resposible for marketing Audi's. Whether deserved or not, the reality is that most Americans associate BMW as a slightly more desirable vehicle than an Audi. While Audi had the ability to offer an comparable car at a cost savings, this made the (slight) trade off in presige 'worth it' for many buyers. Now, it seems they're going to be priced within a few hundred dollars of one another and, while many may (perhaps correctly, perhaps not) make the argument that the Audi is the better vehicle, many will balk at paying the same for an Audi as a similar BMW. Not saying this is fair, just saying, it is what it is. Throw in the four years of free service, probably worth about $3,000-$4,000 and it's possible to make the arguement that BMW has the price advantage now.

So, I'm still up in the air.

Decisions, decisions.

(P.S. The E350 is not even a contender for myriad reasons)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
5 is stunning.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
5 is stunning.
Yeah, but coupes are not in contention here.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ :cough: 5 series :cough:
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Which ever car you pick, each will quickly get you as far away as possible from having to watch those insipid saccharine Idol Judges.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by madcaps
Which ever car you pick, each will quickly get you as far away as possible from having to watch those insipid saccharine Idol Judges.
You said it!

First they got rid of Pia and now James. There's no hope. I'm bailing on this shit.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

:theghey:
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
meh meh
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Actually, you should not get either one due to reliability issues, but looks to me you def want some fine luxury at this point in time......

I've always liked the Beamers stance. It has a body style and grill that looks nicer to me. I vote BMW

The Audi is nice but I don't care for them.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by WHEEELMAN
Actually, you should not get either one due to reliability issues, but looks to me you def want some fine luxury at this point in time......

I've always liked the Bimmers stance. It has a body style and grill that looks nicer to me. I vote BMW

The Audi is nice but I don't care for them.
fixed.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice comparisons. I really like the "new" A6...though it does look similar to its predecessor. The BMW is an excellent design also, but I think the A6 is just a hair ahead if you're looking for a sporty-looking ride.

The E350 is hideous.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
I'm partial to Audis so I would probably go with the A6 3.0T.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,098 Likes on 2,707 Posts
youre worthless

:ibtl:
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5 Series
Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you getting your info about the engines and performace? The 535 is faster in a straight line than the Audi. The Audi may make slightly more torque, but the BMW has full torque at 1200 RPM where as the Audi has to wait to 2500 RPM. Sorry to burst your bubble, but modern turbos > superchargers. The days of large amounts of turbo lag is gone in most modern cars, with BMW doing a very good job of getting rid of almost all turbo lag in their current cars. Also the new N55 engine in the 535 does not have nearly the amount of High pressure pump issues that the older motors had.

In terms of handling, magazines actually prefer Audi's handling to BMWs right now. While the new 5 isn't that bad to drive, it has lost some of its sportiness. Haven't driven a new Audi though so I can't compare them.

Recent comparo of the 535, A6 and M37
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mw_535i_page_2

The stats http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...0ed856746b.pdf
Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i would have to root for the underdog as usual AUDI........i feel audi is and has been to the German car market what acura is to the Japanese car market .........as most said when it comes down to the feel and sportier looks the BMW is the winner but in comparison to everything else don't really see much difference in the two cars ...i personally like both ...but if i had the choice to purchase either i would really have to look for the better offer ....................that's how much of a close call that is ....with those 2 cars.....
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Cadillac CTS, so you don't end up getting buyer's remorse and needing therapy like this guy here: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/i-must-have-mental-problems-550-buyers-remorse-819709/
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
i would have to root for the underdog as usual AUDI........i feel audi is and has been to the German car market what acura is to the Japanese car market .........as most said when it comes down to the feel and sportier looks the BMW is the winner but in comparison to everything else don't really see much difference in the two cars ...i personally like both ...but if i had the choice to purchase either i would really have to look for the better offer ....................that's how much of a close call that is ....with those 2 cars.....
First: That is the worst "comparison/compliment" Audi has ever received.

Second: The statement could not be further from the truth.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Cadillac CTS, so you don't end up getting buyer's remorse and needing therapy like this guy here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819709
Just do the right thing and slum it in the CTS-V.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Pro

[quote=Moog-Type-S;12959299]First: That is the worst "comparison/compliment" Audi has ever received.

i notice that everybody comments on what goes on where they are from ..so in this case ..here in N.Y more people go for BMW than audi ..they look at audi as the underdog ...entry level car ..just as they look at acura....it is not the first choice of car for a good portion up here when compared to BMW....but then again i can only speak from what i have physically seen ......and heard ..from my perspective.....OK...

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 05-19-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Pro

i like both of the cars..they are not to far apart in performance or price ...i think the 5 series looks better than the A6 ..but as i said if i had the chance to purchase either i would go for the one that i get the most for my money ............................my biggest seller point with BMW is the fact that you have 5years or 50,000 miles if i am not mistaken of no cost maintenance...that is great not to sure about what audi has to offer ......................
Old 05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
fixed.
Thank you, glad i'm not the only person that annoys.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
First: That is the worst "comparison/compliment" Audi has ever received.

Second: The statement could not be further from the truth.

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
i notice that everybody comments on what goes on where they are from ..so in this case ..here in N.Y more people go for BMW than audi ..they look at audi as the underdog ...entry level car ..just as they look at acura....it is not the first choice of car for a good portion up here when compared to BMW....but then again i can only speak from what i have physically seen ......and heard ..from my perspective.....OK...
Never heard of that logic regardless of location. Typically it's pretty much universal that:

Tier 1 = Audi/BMW/Mercedes
Tier 2 = Acura/Infiniti/Lexus*

Gave Lexus an asterick b/c I have seen Lexus cross-shopped with the Tier 1 brands. The new Infiniti M's are starting to crossover in some cases as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by juniorbean

Never heard of that logic regardless of location. Typically it's pretty much universal that:

Gave Lexus an asterick b/c I have seen Lexus cross-shopped with the Tier 1 brands. The new Infiniti M's are starting to crossover in some cases as well.
i am not saying that audi and acura are on the same tier i am just saying that when it comes to german cars it's M.B then BMW then AUDI just as in the japenese market it is Lexus then infiniti then Acura.......

Key words audi in the german world is what acura is to the japanese world.........

now as far as infiniti goes just because you drop a hefty price tag on your cars don't mean that you are able to crossover .........i've seen countless times people jump from acura or lexus to infiniti and then go back to the original company they were once with ............i personally like infiniti but have not been impressed that much with them to shell out audi/bmw/m.b money on one ...........

as far as what i said as where you are from i am just speaking on the facts that depending on where you are from the car culture is different so the reason why people buy the cars they buy are different ..........
Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by charliemike

I don't think you can go wrong either way.
+1 that was my initial point .....more of a preference factor .....
Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Great review! Our 535i has been lost after it came to NJ. Big issue going on =(.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Great review! Our 535i has been lost after it came to NJ. Big issue going on =(.
"Lost???"

Do tell!

Details, details. Everyone likes a good mystery.

Seriously though, what happened?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,031 Likes on 544 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know.... Define lost.

And both are good choices, personally.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I have a 528i loaner today. Its a nice car but im so not ready for something this soft and quiet yet.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Reliability (Lack-O-Hastle factor) - Both cars leave a great deal to be desired here. The A6 is a brand new design (but for the 3.0T engine) so it has no reliabilty track record yet. The 3.0T engine has been very troublesome according to the Consumer Reports Annual car review though some on the Audi boards say that this was largely due to a faulty water pump design which has since been rectified in the current 3.0T engine. I guess time will tell. The 535xi has had myriad problems. From the RFT fiasco(s) to the HPFP issues, to steering grinding, pull to the right, etc. This is a real concern to a prospective buyer like me. It is, however reassuring that BMW seems to stand behind their warranties pretty well and most people seem satisfied with the treatment they get at their service departments. Audi OTOH has had a long and not-so-illustrious history of treating cutomers very poory and 'passing the buck' when it comes to rectifying service issues. I suppose this is highly dealer dependant matter but it is a significant concern.
IMO, Audi has improved in this department. My S4 has the known issues with the faulty water pump and thermostat. Both were fixed under warranty, and AoA actually sent me a letter saying that my warranty has been extended because of these issues. I think Audi actually addressed these problems better than BMW. The 3.0T motor came to the market in 2009 (maybe late 2008 in the A6 3.0T), they rectified the problem in late 2010. OTOH, BMW introduced the N54 motor in late 2006, and has have problems with the HPFP since then. It was until 2009 when they finally extended the warranty ONLY on the HPFP, and had to recall the N54 equipped cars after ABC showed a segment of this problem. Now with the N55 motor, people are still reporting HPFP problems.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
I'd take the BMW 5-er. Love it.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

But, to the OP: If you're toying around with these cars, I think you should try out the new E-Class.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Tier 1 = Lexus/BMW/Mercedes
Tier 1.3 = Audi
Tier 1.6 = Infiniti
Tier 2 = Acura

That's pretty much how I see it and is perceived in the market space. The lack of sales of A8 and A6 kinda prove that. Audi is not Tier-1 yet.

Originally Posted by juniorbean

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Pffft...

Tier 1: Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls-Royce
Tier 10: Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi
Tier 11: Lexus, Infiniti
Tier 20: Acura
Old 05-20-2011, 03:11 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I have a 528i loaner today. Its a nice car but im so not ready for something this soft and quiet yet.
You get a 5er and I get a Versa loaner. Thanks Infiniti
Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
You get a 5er and I get a Versa loaner. Thanks Infiniti
My Infiniti dealership gives me a previous gen M35 or G37S...?
Old 05-20-2011, 03:38 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
My Infiniti dealership gives me a previous gen M35 or G37S...?
I'm just happy to get a car. I was just hoping it would be an Infiniti that's all. It's the first time I've had to drop off my car for service. Every oil change I would just wait. This time there was a TSB and some rattles along with the oil change.

When I had my TL I'd always get an Acura loaner...
Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
cough, Bugatti, cough

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Pffft...

Tier 1: Aston Martin, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls-Royce
Tier 10: Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi
Tier 11: Lexus, Infiniti
Tier 20: Acura
Old 05-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
cough, Bugatti, cough
Pffft, Bugatti, McLaren, Ferrari, Pagani, Koenignignignignigsegg are called "Tier GOD"...

There is no number.

Quick Reply: 535xi Vs: A6 - Pros And Cons (long)