dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Shelby
Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Nice review, Mark.

I was kind of surprised on your observations of interior noise. I remember reading that Ford had some sort of system to leak engine noise into the cabin, and although I haven't personally heard it, the pros say it works great. This was on the 2010 with the 4.6L, does anyone know if they used it on the 2011 5.0?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Damn, that's a really, really nice car.

I would love to test this against a 370Z and see how different they are ...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I saw the Shelby and wondered if the price difference was truly justified. There is the legendary Shelby badge and trimming that comes with the car but for the price difference a very nice 5.0 can be obtained.

Originally Posted by pttl
at the black FIVE OH!

Can you make any comparisons about the sound level when cruising at highway speed? This is my one concern with the car. I find myself getting fatigued with a loud drone at cruising speeds.
There was definitely no loud drone at around 65-70. You can hear the engine but it's nothing I couldn't endure on a long trip. Very easy to talk to whoever is sitting with you. It's far from being as quiet as a Lexus but it feels similar if not more insulated than most Honda/Acura products imho.

Originally Posted by Aman
Nice review, Mark.

I was kind of surprised on your observations of interior noise. I remember reading that Ford had some sort of system to leak engine noise into the cabin, and although I haven't personally heard it, the pros say it works great. This was on the 2010 with the 4.6L, does anyone know if they used it on the 2011 5.0?
It's possible the 2011 has this system as well. I just love to hear the exhaust penetrate the cabin way more at city speeds. It certainly does the trick and you can hear the muscle rumble. But I'm not really subjective when it comes to this, most things need an exhaust for me, according to most people my C6Z was too loud.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I can't see the point of the Shelby either when you can pay $7,500 from Ford Racing for a Supercharger for the 5.0 that puts it right with the Shelby.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
There's a lot more going for the Shelby than just the power from the supercharger. The 2011+ GT500 is just as fast or faster than an R8 V10 around VIR. IMO you can't go wrong either way. It gets a little tricky with cars at the $50k range but the GT500 is definitely an option for me at that price point...

Flame me for saying this, but ergh... I like the GT's front end better than the Shelby's. I just love the inset foglights.

Now, if you ask me which Shelby is somewhat pointless, it's the GT350. $30k on top of a brand new Mustang GT, which makes it cost much more than the GT500 with less performance.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I also like the upgraded GT interior over the Shelby's personally...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I love the 2011 Mustang.. in particular with the Coyote engine. This car would be on top of my short list if I were in the market for a new car. Thank you Ford.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
I may have to wait for mine...my debt to asset while I deal with this whole house debacle and the fact that the TL is not paid and my payments would go up $200 plus $60 more in insurance will likely put off my plans for one.

I guess it would be wiser to wait on a used one in a year or two...maybe buy it cash. Only downside to that is I'm particular about the way I want it. I will say the shaker 500 system rocked me...I'm sure the 1000 is amazing. And that's coming from someone with a fully aftermarket system.
I would want:

GT 5.0 Premium in Ingot Silver, saddle interior, HID's (an option you CAN'T order after the fact to install yourself), Brembo and 3.73's, 6 speed obviously.
So I'm pretty picky.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
It's possible the 2011 has this system as well. I just love to hear the exhaust penetrate the cabin way more at city speeds. It certainly does the trick and you can hear the muscle rumble. But I'm not really subjective when it comes to this, most things need an exhaust for me, according to most people my C6Z was too loud.
Yeh I know what you mean. I'm sure some aftermarket systems exist to bring it up to where it should be though. I saw an 05 V6 with an aftermarket exhaust that sounded amazing.

Originally Posted by Costco
There's a lot more going for the Shelby than just the power from the supercharger. The 2011+ GT500 is just as fast or faster than an R8 V10 around VIR. IMO you can't go wrong either way. It gets a little tricky with cars at the $50k range but the GT500 is definitely an option for me at that price point...

Flame me for saying this, but ergh... I like the GT's front end better than the Shelby's. I just love the inset foglights.

Now, if you ask me which Shelby is somewhat pointless, it's the GT350. $30k on top of a brand new Mustang GT, which makes it cost much more than the GT500 with less performance.
A few months ago I'd've agreed with you about the front end styling. But if you look at them side by side, the GT500 is MUCH more intimidating. The upper and lower grilles look HUGE, the car's a bit lower, it's got a more agressive front bumper, the hood has a nice power bump, and of course there are the hood pins
Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
in 1983, I test drove a used 5.0, a week later I ordered a 1984 1/2 5.0 5-spd ... there is something so visceral about those cars... really hard to describe... totally understand your mindset... I paid mine off and kept it until I had two other cars and two kids and she was just sitting mostly... 147k and still could smoke the tires... a drag-racer from Hot Springs, Arkansas bought it...off to a good home!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Aman
A few months ago I'd've agreed with you about the front end styling. But if you look at them side by side, the GT500 is MUCH more intimidating. The upper and lower grilles look HUGE, the car's a bit lower, it's got a more agressive front bumper, the hood has a nice power bump, and of course there are the hood pins
I think you're talking about the Super Snake. That has a humongo hood scoop and hood pins and a pronounced chin splitter. That's.... a different story, heh

I came up with the conclusion after Mark posted the GT and the GT500 one after the other. I always noticed the differences in styling though, and it was a toss up until now. To each his own
Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
When the Retro Stang debuted in 05 I wasn't a fan of the grille fogs at all. Now, I love em. Not sure why, but when I see a grille without them, its just missing something.

Having said that, that Red Shelby on the previous page still looks great.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Still hate the grille fogs.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,868 Likes on 3,771 Posts
The GT 5.0 will be on the top of my list of test drives when the time comes.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
My first Avatar....

Has anyone heard of the "skip shift" feature on the manual tranny Mustangs? It seems beyond stupid. Is there anyway to defeat it?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
There are quite a few higher HP cars with skip-shift other than the Mustang. I think the last gen GTO had it, the new Camaros and Corvettes have it. I'm not sure if Challengers have it.

I think there are bypass harness' that can be installed to get rid of it, but just about any aftermarket tune eliminates it.

I've also been reading that it only comes on under certain circumstances; Certain speed, throttle position, shift points, etc. It's not like it kicks in every time you shift.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
There are quite a few higher HP cars with skip-shift other than the Mustang. I think the last gen GTO had it, the new Camaros and Corvettes have it. I'm not sure if Challengers have it.

I think there are bypass harness' that can be installed to get rid of it, but just about any aftermarket tune eliminates it.

I've also been reading that it only comes on under certain circumstances; Certain speed, throttle position, shift points, etc. It's not like it kicks in every time you shift.
Yes the Challengers have it. Its the car makers way to help "increase" fuel economy...I say its way to make the cars completely unsafe. Most of the time you dont really notice the skip shift...but then there is ALWAYS that one time you need power for merging, etc and it does it to you and you are fucked.

I have mine tuned out. Dumbest thing ever.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Yes the Challengers have it. Its the car makers way to help "increase" fuel economy...I say its way to make the cars completely unsafe. Most of the time you dont really notice the skip shift...but then there is ALWAYS that one time you need power for merging, etc and it does it to you and you are fucked.

I have mine tuned out. Dumbest thing ever.
So there are "tunes" that defeat it. Good! I hope there are tunes for the Stangs. Because it is the dumest thing ever.

Btw....would "tuning" the shift skip out, affect the warranty?

Last edited by pttl; 01-06-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
The Third Ball

So there are "tunes" that defeat it. Good! I hope there are tunes for the Stangs. Because it is the dumest thing ever.

Btw....would "tuning" the shift skip out, affect the warranty?
Not if you replace the OEM tune before you go to the dealer.

Here they make these for stangs, too...this is what I have -

www.diablosport.com

You could also go the bypass cable route, that works as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Dunno about newer cars but my Camaro has skip shift and it's easily defeated by rigging up a resistor with some electrical tape (in all probably less than $3 in parts). The purpose is to improve the EPA numbers, and it works, especially in cars like the Z06 which I believe is like the only car rated at 500 or more horsepower that doesn't suffer from the gas guzzler tax.

Personally I don't get the big deal about it, as it's expected for these kinds of cars to get subpar fuel economy, but for some cars it makes all the difference. I believe the gas guzzler tax is $2100 in CA, and I'm sure that without the skip shift, some cars would have that tacked onto their price. I don't blame manufacturers for putting skip shift Tremec 6MT-equipped cars.

So really, it's up to you... would you like to pay $2100 for a gas guzzler tax, or go to Radio Shack, spend < $5 total and just have to jack up your car and plug in a resistor to defeat it?

Or, you can do it the cheap and easy way.... just keep the throttle depressed a little longer, or press down on it harder. I ultimately decided to keep skip shift because my car doesn't have traction control and yet is a year-round car, so 1-to-4 in heavy rain is perfect. It does get annoying in stop-and-go traffic though.... but IIRC if you're moving along at a sluggish pace and you rev match, then put it in 1st instead of going to neutral then 1st, that doesn't trigger skip shift
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Punk Rocker

I can't stand the stupid skip-shift but it is easily defeat-able so no big deal. Btw, I was checking out a 5.0 at the Ford dealer last weekend and was totally gaga over it. Then I saw a GT500 with the SVT Performance package sitting on the side of the building and I just about wet myself. I didn't realize how awesome that thing looks in person. The dealer was closed but I sat there and stared at it for a good 20 minutes! Everything from the chin-splitter to the revised grille and amazing 19" rims just looked perfect. I wish I could get the coyote engine in the Shelby body....

Last edited by majin ssj eric; 01-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 5.0 is a great car, but the seats to me are horrible. My friend just bought one this summer and I slide all over in hard cornering unlike my car where i can adjust the bolsters. It is also a very BIG car to drive fast.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM

I still love it, just not ready to drop the cash on it yet.

One day...SACHO, no regrets, I would assume?!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I still love it, just not ready to drop the cash on it yet.

One day...SACHO, no regrets, I would assume?!
Regrets on the car I bought?...

None...Zero...Zilch...

I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Assume man, I don't blame you one bit. Gorgeous color, and car.
Keep us posted on any modifications you may have in store.

J.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

I also can't stand the idea of forced skip shift in a car, nor can I stand the idea of a "gas guzzler" tax. If the manufacturers wanted to include a skip shift feature, then make it either switchable or configurable so that YOU control it. If you stop and think about it, these cars are getting fantastic fuel economy when you consider what their engines are delivering. If you head out on the road for a trip, you're going to naturally be doing things which will promote better gas mileage anyway so why have skip shift?

As for these new pony cars, all I can say is God bless the companies for making them available to the buying public. The Camaro, the Challenger, and the 2011 Mustang are at the top of their game and offer people like us another opportunity to enjoy what American car companies do best. I'm not a fan of the newly revised Camaro, but I certainly support and am happy that Chevrolet saw fit to re-release the car again.

As for the new Challenger, it is one of the best looking pony cars out there. And I love the fact that they have just released their "392" version. Thank God for using cubic inches for engine displacement on the car. Who would have thought we'd see a nearly 400 CID engine popped into one of these babies at this time? Carol Browner and her EPA wags must be jerking their knees like crazy. Thank you Challenger.

And finally the new 2011 Mustang. Ford's best pony car ever in my opinion. I say this because this car has it all and does it all.... very well. You should see how the stress tested the Coyote engine for the new 302 Boss. Fantastic engine in a remarkable car. What is surprising to me is that Ford decided to make this new engine under squared which is a major departure from other small block engines (and most big blocks as well). I have to believe they did this to capture a little more torque across the band.

So my thumbs up to the Mustang and the Challenger for giving us two cars that are the bomb. Man it just hardly gets any better.

And to SACHO, I love your new Mustang. You have the color I would order and the car just flat looks perfect. Ford did their homework on this car perhaps better than any other readily available car they have produced. Looks better then great.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 01-10-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 AM
That was uncalled for...

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I also can't stand the idea of forced skip shift in a car, nor can I stand the idea of a "gas guzzler" tax. If the manufacturers wanted to include a skip shift feature, then make it either switchable or configurable so that YOU control it. If you stop and think about it, these cars are getting fantastic fuel economy when you consider what their engines are delivering. If you head out on the road for a trip, you're going to naturally be doing things which will promote better gas mileage anyway so why have skip shift?

As for these new pony cars, all I can say is God bless the companies for making them available to the buying public. The Camaro, the Challenger, and the 2011 Mustang are at the top of their game and offer people like us another opportunity to enjoy what American car companies do best. I'm not a fan of the newly revised Camaro, but I certainly support and am happy that Chevrolet saw fit to re-release the car again.

As for the new Challenger, it is one of the best looking pony cars out there. And I love the fact that they have just released their "392" version. Thank God for using cubic inches for engine displacement on the car. Who would have thought we'd see a nearly 400 CID engine popped into one of these babies at this time? Carol Browner and her EPA wags must be jerking their knees like crazy. Thank you Challenger.

And finally the new 2011 Mustang. Ford's best pony car ever in my opinion. I say this because this car has it all and does it all.... very well. You should see how the stress tested the Coyote engine for the new 302 Boss. Fantastic engine in a remarkable car. What is surprising to me is that Ford decided to make this new engine under squared which is a major departure from other small block engines (and most big blocks as well). I have to believe they did this to capture a little more torque across the band.

So my thumbs up to the Mustang and the Challenger for giving us two cars that are the bomb. Man it just hardly gets any better.

And to SACHO, I love your new Mustang. You have the color I would order and the car just flat looks perfect. Ford did their homework on this car perhaps better than any other readily available car they have produced. Looks better then great.
Thanks! Like I mentioned above I couldn't be happier with it... Of course the 5.0 would make the car absolutely perfect but I have no second guesses about the 3.7
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
My first Avatar....

Some say it's the best production car from Ford ever. I believe 2014 brings the independent rear suspension, to add to an already fantastic handeling car.. Maybe direct injection????
Old 01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
That was uncalled for...

Some say it's the best production car from Ford ever. I believe 2014 brings the independent rear suspension, to add to an already fantastic handeling car.. Maybe direct injection????
I think we'll see direct injection before 2014...

The 2014 car will be 100% new I believe. I hope they don't screw it up
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by S A CHO
I think we'll see direct injection before 2014...

The 2014 car will be 100% new I believe. I hope they don't screw it up
So you think DI in 2013? I'm pretty sure the 2012s will be essentially the same car as the 2011s.
I don't know how they could screw it up in 2014. They will surely keep the Coyote, and add IRS. Unless the do a complete re-design of the Stang like Acura did with the 4G TL.
I don't think Ford will want to lose the Mustang look and identity.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM
That was uncalled for...

So you think DI in 2013? I'm pretty sure the 2012s will be essentially the same car as the 2011s.
I don't know how they could screw it up in 2014. They will surely keep the Coyote, and add IRS. Unless the do a complete re-design of the Stang like Acura did with the 4G TL.
I don't think Ford will want to lose the Mustang look and identity.
I do think DI is coming before 2014 because it's rumoured that the Camaro will be getting a 320-330HP V6 either this year or next. The 3.7 in my car and the 5.0 both alreay have provisions for installing injectors directly into the cylinders. It would be a very simple change for Ford to introduce direct injection on these new engines.

You are correct, the 2012's are virtually unchanged from the 2011's.

Last edited by S A CHO; 01-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Punk Rocker

I thought the new engines already had DI. Don't know where I got that from.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The V6 is DI, the V8 is not yet. Can't wait for DI and IRS on the GT!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by jasonleary
Not yet. Ford's EcoBoost engines are DI Not the Duratec.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jasonleary
Personally I wouldn't want at IRS on the Mustang. It breaks with tradition and Ford has the world's best live rear axle in this car. Live rear axles are stronger than IRS's and since a lot of Mustangs will see duty on drag strips, their going to need that strength to take what the engine can offer.

I've already seen a 2011 Mustang turn an 8.89 in the quarter (video) so you know there is a lot in that engine and the rear had better be strong enough to take the gaff. The 9" Ford rear in their live rear axle is a proven winner in this regard.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
My first Avatar....

10 Predictions for Future Ford Vehicles
10. Ford Will Celebrate the Ford Mustang's 50th Anniversary in Style

The Ford Mustang is turning 50 years old in the 2014 model year, which means that the pressure is on for Ford to celebrate this milestone with a redesign of the current platform as well as a special model or two to further commemorate the occasion.

Originally, Ford intended the updated Mustang to share its platform with a number of different rear-wheel drive cars around the world, but recent economic events and market activity have pushed the company in the direction of building a platform exclusive to the coupe and convertible. In terms of design, the Mustang could potentially evolve into a high tech sports car or instead stay the course and maintain its current muscle car roots. The latter scenario seems most likely, given its current sales momentum. Ford also intends to lighten the Mustang, shrink its overall size and install an independent rear suspension to help improve its handling.
http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...le_id_int/8901
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM
The Third Ball

The 392IE looks fantastic in person. Im really jealous of the new improvements in handling...I have a suspension on mine...but they really tightened up the steering ratio and put in a smaller diameter steering wheel. People that have had it on the track say it feels smaller, lighter, and delivers more feedback than the 08-10. One of my club members is getting one, cant wait to get a ride.

Another club member just had custom built 426 stroker dropped into his...cant wait to see that at the end of the month, its going to sound amazing!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
The 392IE looks fantastic in person. Im really jealous of the new improvements in handling...I have a suspension on mine...but they really tightened up the steering ratio and put in a smaller diameter steering wheel. People that have had it on the track say it feels smaller, lighter, and delivers more feedback than the 08-10. One of my club members is getting one, cant wait to get a ride.

Another club member just had custom built 426 stroker dropped into his...cant wait to see that at the end of the month, its going to sound amazing!
Now ya' see, I remember when the 426 Street Hemi was made available for general sales. The year was 1966 and it was an option package, including other niceties such as a Dana rear end. The cost was $907 for the package. I still remember the first one I ever saw on the street. I had my '66 396/360 HP L34 Chevelle, which was new, as I drove past that Plymouth Belvedere Satellite parked in front of a gas station with a small crowd checking it out. So I turned around and went into that station for a closer look. VERY impressive. The super engines in those days were beautifully set up in their bays.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Wow...1966's...from an era of real muscle cars. That's actually really cool. I sometimes think I was born in the wrong decade...or actually SEVERAL decades late.

Got a friend, got a line on a 1970 Mustang...clean body, no rust. Another friend of ours just opened a metal fab/paint shop and has some years of Mustang restoration under his belt. Supposedly has a fully built 302 under the hood...then again, my friend has a 302 fully stroked he's built that's been waiting for a home. Either way, should be a fun project for us. Going to check it out on Saturday. If I have a chance I'll snap some pics of it AND his 2005 very modified GT.

J.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Mustang...test driven...