AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   5.0 Mustang...test driven... (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/5-0-mustang-test-driven-796598/)

rockstar143 10-29-2010 08:30 PM

5.0 Mustang...test driven...

Ok, I will come across as a schizo because of the cars I've test driven lately in my quest to figure out what car I want.
1. CRZ Honda...sporty looking but no back seat and drove slow and like crap compared to my TL
2. TDI Audi A3...not used to diesel...torque was there but no GOOOO...was boring to drive.

So I've been eyeing 335's (M3's of course too), 5.0 Mustangs and Subi Sti's...
Stopped by Ford today...
Gorgeous car...especially with the projector headlights...front mean, side pretty good, rear was not a fan (not like the latin booty's I'm used to in South Florida :toocool:). Inside...front was comfy and great...interior was what I expected...fine...was not there for the interior...I was there for the rumble.
I turn the key and there it is...music to my ears...what an amazing sounding engine. Drive down the block...super chill...and it drives ok...kinda jumpy but I'm not used to the clutch...
Reset the MPGs...13MPG while coasting at 45mph...I got as high as 22 for an instant...but then it was back into the mid/low teens. Finally get to an open part of the road w/the salesman and I punch it, redline 1 then 2...I'm at 80mph on a 45 speed zone...shut it down. The POWER is unreal...it's there and amazing.

Bottom line, when punched the MPG said 7.
It is like every other mustang I have ever driven...a TANK...yes it has power but it feels like you're riding a friggin Dragon...SUPER powerful but all over the place...steering didn't feel tight...super loose...brakes were ok...(didn't have the Brembo package)...and the MPG killed me. I could not fathom adding 25000 to what I owe to own this car. Not in a million years. Will it spank me, and most of the cars on the road...of course.

As with my other test drives...I came back to my TL with a newfound love and respect for her. WTF was I thinking. Will still try the Subi just to see...

I may get flamed for this thread...and maybe it's just what happens after 15 years of driving Japanese cars that are very controlled and precise and nimble...but I just can't do it, especially at that price. I half want to try out a challenger to see how that drives too. There is a dealer down the block from my house.

justnspace 10-29-2010 09:04 PM

understandable. if you simply cannot be comfortable financially, then there isn't a point of buying a vehicle that expensive.

I have not driven the 5.0 but I had an SRT8 at my disposal for a month. fun car.

rockstar143 10-29-2010 09:14 PM

Well, yes, but honestly, I can say that I CAN afford it, I just don't think it did enough for me to justify spending that kinda money. Just my opinion...we'll see. I'm sure a German car is more refined and may be more my thing but of course it's more money too.

alexSU 10-29-2010 09:14 PM

TL interior is pretty hard to beat. It could use more power but that would just be stupid for a FWD.

I agree the 5.0 has balls! How was the gearbox? Did it feel tight and onpoint or kinda loose, clunky? hehe sounds dirty but you get the point.

rockstar143 10-29-2010 09:18 PM

Very tight and a short shifter...I could get used to it I'm sure. But it still felt like an beast that needs to be tamed. Definitely fun...just not for me. What a disappointment...I thought for sure I'd be buying one soon.

J.

justnspace 10-29-2010 09:20 PM

I see a German car in your future.

v6cord2k5 10-29-2010 09:22 PM

Any interest in the Legacy?

rockstar143 10-29-2010 09:26 PM

It's the driver's car, riight?!?! lol...I wouldn't be too surprised...was close to picking up a used E46 M3 not too long ago...maybe I'll wait a few years and score an E92.

I really like the STi of the Subis...although Legacy's are nice too!

alexSU 10-29-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 12453049)
I see a German car in your future.

335i :thumbsup:

Costco 10-29-2010 09:30 PM

I can't possibly fathom seeing the 5.0 with MPGs that bad. At the very worst when I was driving mostly city with a heavy foot, old plugs and wires, my LS1 got 14 mpg.

That is how cars from domestic makes feel, for the most part. Numb steering... but I find they eat up the highway blacktop with ease, they make you feel real relaxed. I tried DDing an STi before, and I liked it, but driving it on the highway sucked. The new ones are probably more easy on you though. You should be in love with a 335i :2cents:

Aman 10-29-2010 09:35 PM

I've driven S197s before, and they're the kind of car that takes work to drive them, no doubt. It feels great manhandling one, it feels like it wants to be treated like a bad boy, and rewards you for it. I'm sure the 5.0 is very similar.

IMO Hondas/Acuras are lighter cars. Not necessarily in weight but in driving style. It's kind of like playing the flute in an orchestra as opposed to beating a bass drum in a Collie Buddz track. Both make good music (IMO), they just go about it differently.

I like the lighter feel of Honda/Acura, because they don't feel harsher when you're simply tired and want to go home. My :2cents:

alexSU 10-29-2010 09:47 PM

Honestly, I loved the 6.0 GTO I test drove! I could live with the interior cuz my parents had a Bonneville when I was growing up so I got used to it. Not saying you'll like it but that's probably the only domestic I'd buy for myself.

Eoanou 10-29-2010 11:00 PM

I was thinking of buying a 5.0Mustang, but with your review I think I won't bother. I may just go with the less expensive, lighterweight GTI. Or if money something else, but I definitely love the feel of the VW/Audi.

alexSU 10-29-2010 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eoanou (Post 12453214)
I was thinking of buying a 5.0Mustang, but with your review I think I won't bother. I may just go with the less expensive, lighterweight GTI. Or if money something else, but I definitely love the feel of the VW/Audi.

The new Audi A4? :toocool:

rockstar143 10-30-2010 06:28 AM

All of you make very good points. I learned how to work on cars with my friends on fox bodies in high school add have always been in love with the power and sound of them but I guess I never got used to how they drive. If it was cheaper,i would take the chance and learn how to enjoy it.

I a way, I kinda do feel like the tl is the best of both worlds.when I balance all the things I want in the cat the tl is a jack of all trades and master of none.

The mpg thing,i will be fair and say that it was the instant mpg so its not a good indication...but after spending 10 days in a fusion rental I had grown confident in their system.after my little test drive and me resetting it though...the mpg ended up at 11.8mpgs...same as when I got in the car.car had 35 miles on the odom

mrmako 10-30-2010 06:43 AM

I say go test drive the Legacy GT. And give an honest opinion. That's all I ask.

rockstar143 10-30-2010 07:19 AM

If I go to subie...i will.I'm sure you can tell from this thread that although my opinion may not be popular...its always honest.

SuperTrooper169 10-30-2010 08:31 AM

Interesting review. I've driven plenty of fox bodied 'Stangs and I know what you mean about numb steering and sloppy heavy handling, but I assumed the new ones were much more refined. I guess it's how you approach it. Is a 'Stang going to handle as nice and refined as a TL? No. Is it leaps and bounds better than the Fox bodied versions? Maybe?

I've always been curious to test drive a G8. I know, now it'd have to be a pre-owned one since they're not making them anymore, but I'm curious if the handling/steering would be less sloppy than other V8 options out there.

pttl 10-30-2010 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Eoanou (Post 12453214)

Really? Why?

This is the first person, who I've read, who has had a negative opinion of the 2011 5.0.
Every professional review that I've read, has said the exact opposite regarding every aspect of the handling of the car. So much so that the 5.0 constantly draws comparison to the BMW M3. It absolutely crushes the other American pony cars including the Dodge SRT...according to all of the reviews I've read.
Maybe you owe it to yourself to go drive the car to see what YOU think of it before you write it off. :2cents:

teranfon 10-30-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by pttl (Post 12453681)
Really? Why?

This is the first person, who I've read, who has had a negative opinion of the 2011 5.0.
Every professional review that I've read, has said the exact opposite regarding every aspect of the handling of the car. So much so that the 5.0 constantly draws comparison to the BMW M3. It absolutely crushes the other American pony cars including the Dodge SRT...according to all of the reviews I've read.
Maybe you owe it to yourself to go drive the car to see what YOU think of it before you write it off. :2cents:

I agree. Test drive every car you have an interest in. Each of us have a different perception.

Personally, I find the steering response and feel in the new 197 exemplary. A different feel than many Japanese products, but with an excellent progression and feel. One of the things that I like about the car as well is it remains wonderfully balanced during most driving conditions. In fact I find it to be almost refined to the point where it seems to have deviated sharply from it's ponycar heritage.

Terry

S A CHO 10-30-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169 (Post 12453547)
Interesting review. I've driven plenty of fox bodied 'Stangs and I know what you mean about numb steering and sloppy heavy handling, but I assumed the new ones were much more refined. I guess it's how you approach it. Is a 'Stang going to handle as nice and refined as a TL? No. Is it leaps and bounds better than the Fox bodied versions? Maybe?
I've always been curious to test drive a G8. I know, now it'd have to be a pre-owned one since they're not making them anymore, but I'm curious if the handling/steering would be less sloppy than other V8 options out there.

I can assure you, they are absolutely nowhere close to each other in steering feel and precision :biggrin:

I will agree the steering is light, but remember it's also speed variable (like many traditional power steering systems) It's lighter at slow speeds for ease but get going and the steering tightens right up...

I also believe the cars with the Brembo brakes have re-calibrated electronic power steering systems for more feel and feedback. They also have different settings for the stability control.

Originally Posted by teranfon (Post 12453753)
I agree. Test drive every car you have an interest in. Each of us have a different perception.

Personally, I find the steering response and feel in the new 197 exemplary. A different feel than many Japanese products, but with an excellent progression and feel. One of the things that I like about the car as well is it remains wonderfully balanced during most driving conditions. In fact I find it to be almost refined to the point where it seems to have deviated sharply from it's ponycar heritage.

Terry

I agree completely. I thought the steering felt very direct and precise, certainly nothing I've ever felt before in a Mustang.

SpiderX1016 10-30-2010 02:43 PM

How can you say the gas mileage was bad? Did you just rely on the MID or did you fill up the gas?

rockstar143 10-30-2010 06:08 PM

No, at a test drive I did not NOT fill up the gas.
If you read the whole thread I acknowledge that it was all MID based. I'd love some real numbers for a full tank of gas on these though.

I can tell you all I truly WANTED to love it. I did.
I'm just conditioned to driving jap cars...as stated previously, it drive like my friends' 05 drives. Not badly, just not what I'm used to. I'm sure if the car was more affordable I'd take the risk and venture out into domestic land and get used to the steering/handling.

Again...the sound and power were friggin intoxicating. Really were.

Costco 10-30-2010 06:27 PM

You may not like the way it feels handling wise.... but when it goes around a road course it puts up numbers real close to an M3 - as in hundredths of a second's difference. I don't want to stir anything up again, but while the feel may not be what you're (or anyone else in this thread is, really) used to, it's no slouch going around a corner.

teranfon 10-30-2010 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 12454276)
You may not like the way it feels handling wise.... but when it goes around a road course it puts up numbers real close to an M3 - as in hundredths of a second's difference. I don't want to stir anything up again, but while the feel may not be what you're (or anyone else in this thread is, really) used to, it's no slouch going around a corner.

This guy won his fourth F-stock championship in SCCA Solo driving a factory 5.0 GT with optional brembos.

http://www.stranoparts.com/videos.php?VideoID=8

Again, I think it's dependent on the driver to determine which feels best. I find the steering on my Accord 6MT just as good as the on the new 5.0, although the two are obviously calibrated to different specifications.

Terry

Costco 10-30-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by teranfon (Post 12454289)
This guy won his fourth F-stock championship in SCCA Solo driving a factory 5.0 GT with optional brembos.

http://www.stranoparts.com/videos.php?VideoID=8

Again, I think it's dependent on the driver to determine which feels best. I find the steering on my Accord 6MT just as good as the on the new 5.0, although the two are obviously calibrated to different specifications.

Terry

Ah yes.... Sam Strano. I have his springs on my F-Body. He also won multiple championships in F-Stock and ESP with his Z28. But whatever.... Camaros can't handle for a damn ;)

You're right, and the OP is right too. It's probably just not what he's used to.

pttl 10-30-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by teranfon (Post 12453753)

Terry

2011 GT.....yes? :dunno: :blush:

But what you said here is exactly what I've been reading EVERYWHERE. When I'm ready to buy, the 5.0 will be on the list. :nod:

fsttyms1 10-30-2010 07:25 PM

I dont understand how you got the feeling of steering didn't feel tight...super loose...brakes were ok. I have driven one and it was far better feeling than any TL i have ever driven. Its a different type of feel but its quick linear and precise, especially as speeds increase.

teranfon 10-30-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by pttl (Post 12454334)
2011 GT.....yes? :dunno: :blush:

But what you said here is exactly what I've been reading EVERYWHERE. When I'm ready to buy, the 5.0 will be on the list. :nod:

Yep, 197 was the code name used by Ford when designing the 2005 chassis. Everything this generation is generally referred to as the 197, although there are obviously different states of tune.

Terry

nokiaman 11-08-2010 08:55 PM

Instead of creating a new thread...

In between a few meetings today, I decided to go take a look at the 5.0 as the Ford dealer was a few miles away from my office.

For starters, I will point out that I have had 4 BMWs in the past and that my opinion although not biased, my expectations were high for a car that has shared the same pages with the M3 so much recently.

I was lucky enough to test drive a car equipped with the Brembo Package, 3:73, HID, Navi and Rear View Camera which made the grand total a hair under 40k.

My impressions:

Int/Ext:

Everyone had been saying how FoMoCo had improved their interiors and I was very eager to see it for myself... I was pleasantly surprised. All the materials were nice to the touch and I was especially impressed with SYNC. I was also quite impressed by the "sound deadening" and found it particularly quiet...I thought myself thinking I wanted a bit more engine noise inside. The blind-spot mirrors were also very helpful as they completely eliminate the blind spot.

It was my first time using it and it was far better easier to use than MMI per example. The interior gets high grades in my books as I thought it looked and felt better than my previous Z06, a car that costs more.

It looks mean. Very mean. I command S A CHO for going with the HID headlamps as they completely transform the looks and give it a much newer look.

Performance:

It was almost a heaven sent scenario that I was first to arrive at the lights on a two lane road that transformed into one to become an on-ramp into the highway; I took the right lane on purpose as an excuse to merge and give the 5.0 a push. :D When it became green, I let the car roll to about 20 mph then sent all 390 lbs of torque to the floor. :what: Holy smokes does this thing move, from very low rpms to about red line, there was power absolutely everywhere at any time in any gear. I love a car that pins me against my seat and this was certainly it.

I took the on-ramp at about 20 mph higher than the posted limit and the car felt incredibly composed and I felt the rear end wanting to play until I let go as I was on public roads. It reminds me of the earlier 3 series steering feel, quite communicative but not overly boosted.

On the recent M3 vs Mustang thread I was with the M3 folks although I completely loved the 5.0. Now I believe it even more and my values in what I want in a car are put back into question. Save a few things here and there (interior, prestige...) it is pretty hard.

I think I want one now.:tomato:

the beast. :)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x..._2007/must.jpg

SuperTrooper169 11-08-2010 09:03 PM

^ Nice Mark! Sooooo... trading in the Accord soon are we lol?

rockstar143 11-08-2010 09:03 PM

Mark, funny you should give this review...
I went back twice this weekend to give it another go. And guess what, completely different feel. I went to another dealership with a guy knowledgeable about mustangs...and he let me rip it behind the dealership on a closed track...just 1st and 2nd. But man did it feel nice...I really do love it.

I'm trying to find ALL the reasons to talk myself out of it! I drive relaxed with the TL and get 22 mpg...supposed real world MPG is about 18 on this with 30% city driving. 300 miles to a full tank is what I get on my TL too, with probably 3 less gallons to fill up. So not THAT extravagant.

I'm a little torn...I keep convincing myself to stick with the TL.

95oRANGEcRUSH 11-08-2010 09:12 PM

I have a 95 GT w/ 5.0 motor and love it. If I lived somewhere that didn't see snow I would ditch the Type-S in a heartbeat for a new 5 liter GT.

I can promise you that if you put full exhaust on that thing you will have a boner the first time you hear it fire up.

S A CHO 11-08-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by nokiaman (Post 12476547)
It looks mean. Very mean. I command S A CHO for going with the HID headlamps as they completely transform the looks and give it a much newer look.

:thumbsup:

rockstar143 11-08-2010 09:21 PM

^^^that's what my friend, that has owned 7 mustangs told me, I said, it sounds perfect...he said it still needed an exhaust.

I can imagine that thing with a tune, CAI...and exhaust...Would be quite the attention grabber.

pttl 11-08-2010 09:38 PM

In between a few meetings today, I decided to go take a look at the 5.0 as the Ford dealer was a few miles away from my office.

For starters, I will point out that I have had 4 BMWs in the past and that my opinion although not biased, my expectations were high for a car that has shared the same pages with the M3 so much recently.

I was lucky enough to test drive a car equipped with the Brembo Package, 3:73, HID, Navi and Rear View Camera which made the grand total a hair under 40k.

My impressions:

Int/Ext:

Everyone had been saying how FoMoCo had improved their interiors and I was very eager to see it for myself... I was pleasantly surprised. All the materials were nice to the touch and I was especially impressed with SYNC. I was also quite impressed by the "sound deadening" and found it particularly quiet...I thought myself thinking I wanted a bit more engine noise inside. The blind-spot mirrors were also very helpful as they completely eliminate the blind spot.

It was my first time using it and it was far better easier to use than MMI per example. The interior gets high grades in my books as I thought it looked and felt better than my previous Z06, a car that costs more.

Performance:

It was almost a heaven sent scenario that I was first to arrive at the lights on a two lane road that transformed into one to become an on-ramp into the highway; I took the right lane on purpose as an excuse to merge and give the 5.0 a push. :D When it became green, I let the car roll to about 20 mph then sent all 390 lbs of torque to the floor. :what: Holy smokes does this thing move, from very low rpms to about red line, there was power absolutely everywhere at any time in any gear. I love a car that pins me against my seat and this was certainly it.

I took the on-ramp at about 20 mph higher than the posted limit and the car felt incredibly composed and I felt the rear end wanting to play until I let go as I was on public roads. It reminds me of the earlier 3 series steering feel, quite communicative but not overly boosted.

On the recent M3 vs Mustang thread I was with the M3 folks although I completely loved the 5.0. Now I believe it even more and my values in what I want in a car are put back into question. Save a few things here and there (interior, prestige...) it is pretty hard.

:drool: at the black FIVE OH!

Can you make any comparisons about the sound level when cruising at highway speed? This is my one concern with the car. I find myself getting fatigued with a loud drone at cruising speeds.

OperationDarkie 11-08-2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169 (Post 12453547)

Well they now have an option at the ford dealers and you can purchase a stiffer suspension as well as larger rims but I do not have the price on that, but I heard it changes the car very much though not so sloppy as stock.

majin ssj eric 11-09-2010 12:24 AM

My impressions:

Int/Ext:

Performance:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x..._2007/must.jpg

Thanks for the excellent review Mark. You got any more pics of that beast???

Costco 11-09-2010 02:52 AM

Thanks for the review, Mark. I never got a good look at the 5.0 with HIDs, most pics of it in the auto mags have halogens on it and on the build-your-own site at Ford it looks a little off, but now I'm convinced, the HIDs are a must.

rockstar143 11-09-2010 08:40 AM

HID's are definitely a must...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...20LED/OCT5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...20LED/OCT4.jpg

Taken at the local Ford dealership