5.0 Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Hi SB

All this talk is making me excited to complete my 390 next week. I went .030 over for a total displacement of 396. Keith Black pistons, but a more friendly carbureted 9.7 compression. I may still have some detonation with premium fuel. I'm not using the factory camshaft, but instead a Comp with .494 both intake and exhaust. The usual ARP fasteners throughout. The entire reciprocating mass has been balanced to very precise tolerances, as has the blueprinting. The heads were horrible from sitting for nearly three decades, but managed to be salvaged. They were also numbers matching to the block and shared identical cast numbers. Completely new valves, seats, springs, and all hardware. The bowls had to be machined to match the new seats as they were badly deteriorated. The dynosim sheet produces a maximum of a real 457 pounds of torque, with over 400 of it available from 1500-4000 rpm. Brake horsepower of 375 drops off noticeably after 4500 rpm, but I built the engine to be more of a torque performer. I also wanted the engine to appear completely factory and have good drivability. Should be done final assembly next week.

Terry
Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Old 05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
The Third Ball

Hey Terry, was the Marauder its own body?

I saw an old pink Galaxie in a whole foods parking lot the other week. I took some really crappy iphone pics for ya, but I doubt you could see much on them.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Hey Terry, was the Marauder its own body?

I saw an old pink Galaxie in a whole foods parking lot the other week. I took some really crappy iphone pics for ya, but I doubt you could see much on them.
Mercury used the Marauder nameplate from 1963-1965, 1969-1970, and 2003-2004. The 63.5/64 Maruaders shared the same roofline, doors, hood, and trunk as the same year Galaxies, and are the most desirable due to their design for a specific racing purpose. During this period, these were the cars Ford chose to run in NASCAR, hence the design change midway through 1963.

Terry
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 PM
The Third Ball

Gotcha
Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
I certainly agree with you. I was a bit general in my terminology as many automotive journalists and the public in general tend to classify American sports cars/pony cars/muscle cars under a broad spectrum class due to their similar philosophy of applying large displacement to achieve brute force and a "chew you up and spit you out" attitude. What I meant to say was that the Vette is certainly in a different class (with its 2 seat setup and optimization of its power/weight ratio) than the pony cars. I admit I should not have used the term "entry level" as the camaro/mustang have a different style/philosophy than the Vette/Viper. What I was saying was that today the mustang/camaro are the 1st available in the spectrum of American large displacement power-house cars. While I (and many others) still consider the mustang/camaro "pony cars" as "sports cars" despite having 4 seats and significant heft, their philosophy/style and history is certainly different than the Vette. Thanks for the flashback through history for us who didnt get to live through this automotive golden era.
Rockstar143, I did not mean to imply that the mustang was any less of a car than the Vette, but rather in a different class. I have a lot of respect for the new mustang as it seems to trump the '10 GT500 without FI or the grossly inflated sticker. I hope a new stang is in your future and I wish you the best of luck on your mission to pick one up.
Thanks man. Honestly, if i were smart I'd just be satisfied with what I have for the time being, pay off the TL then save the amount of the payemnt every month and have a great big down payment. Who knows. I love it, but I can wait.

With an attitude like that, I may have to consider the vette. Come to think of it, I had a friend that worked at Maroone Chevy near here. He let me take out a Z06 this guy was going to take delivery of. Other than not being that easy to get in/out of (IIRC), it was a damn nice car, nice feel, nice handling, nice power. I was impressed.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Thanks man. Honestly, if i were smart I'd just be satisfied with what I have for the time being, pay off the TL then save the amount of the payemnt every month and have a great big down payment. Who knows. I love it, but I can wait.

With an attitude like that, I may have to consider the vette. Come to think of it, I had a friend that worked at Maroone Chevy near here. He let me take out a Z06 this guy was going to take delivery of. Other than not being that easy to get in/out of (IIRC), it was a damn nice car, nice feel, nice handling, nice power. I was impressed.
The Z06 is a class machine, in a world almost of its own. I also really admire and respect that car. It was one which I was considering when I bought my '04 TL, the other being a CTS-V, a Jaguar, and a Focus (sports edition).
Old 05-15-2010, 11:51 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,088 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
This is an interesting vid posted on another forum....an 2011 GT getting beat by a stock LS1 Camaro SS. Probably needs some more breaking in, but still interesting.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2fo3KHupBM
Hmm, interesting how the Camaro doesn't open his hood. I highly doubt that was a stock SS. Definitely has a drop and wheels, so if it has that I'm 99% sure it has at the very least an intake and who knows what else.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Are you ready to say "Holy Shit!"?

The first 2011 5.0 to go into the 10's...

These mods: 4.56 gears
control arms
cat back
100 shot
15X10 rear bogarts
15x4 front bogarts
28x10.5 slick out back and 26" front runner's
Kirky Race seat no passenger seat

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzwU1q4pkoo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzwU1q4pkoo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You can skip to 1:15 for the good stuff.....

Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Holy shit! That's insane for how little mods it takes and how much it costs, being a new car. Slicks for much needed traction, shorter gears, light-moderate weight reduction (Kirkeys are incredibly light) and a 100-shot and it's in the 10s already

You can say whatever you want, but that is good for at most 11.2 at pretty much any track which in itself is god damn impressive.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I have to tell you that the finest example of Chevy's porcupine head big block was their 427 in the following designations: L72, L72, L88, L89, and ZL1. The 396 was fabulous in its L78 configuration (mine was the L34), and the 454 LS6 and LS7 (which never saw the street) were great engines as well. But the 427 in as mentioned here was pure magic. Besides, just the term "427" is nothing short of mystical.
It was a fine motor. It's just a personal preference.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Holy shit! That's insane for how little mods it takes and how much it costs, being a new car. Slicks for much needed traction, shorter gears, light-moderate weight reduction (Kirkeys are incredibly light) and a 100-shot and it's in the 10s already

You can say whatever you want, but that is good for at most 11.2 at pretty much any track which in itself is god damn impressive.
Yeah, that's truly impressive. I would love to see what it would do without the gas since most people don't run the stuff on the street. I imagine he would turn in some mid to upper 11's with everything else he's got and no NOS.

Notice his launch. He came out of the hole hard but he hooked up really great. The thing blasted out of the chute. Try a 6000 RPM launch with our TL's, and slicks, and see how long the parts last. God bless American iron.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 05-21-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yeah, that's truly impressive. I would love to see what it would do without the gas since most people don't run the stuff on the street. I imagine he would turn in some mid to upper 11's with everything else he's got and no NOS.

Notice his launch. He came out of the hole hard but he hooked up really great. The thing blasted out of the chute. Try a 6000 RPM launch with our TL's, and slicks, and see how long the parts last. God bless American iron.
yes sir. Ford makes stout rear axles. It was only a 100 shot but we'll see how the stock Coyote engine holds up. It has a lot higher compression than the old 4.6 (er, 281, sorry ) so I don't think it'll be quite as mod friendly. No more bolting in superchargers.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Then explain the Shelby GT350??? Its got a blower and 550hp. I'm not sure if they put in lower compression pistons though.

The oil squirters on the pistons help ALOT, and will help aide keeping combustion temps down. The days of 15psi on the stock engine are over, BUT you dont need much boost when you have great heads, great exhaust, and high compression. 6-8psi will be the equivalent of adding 10-12psi on a lower compression engine.

Plus, nitrous LOVES compression so I think you'll see a good amount of people running spray instead of FI on stock 5.0's.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe5.0
Then explain the Shelby GT350??? Its got a blower and 550hp. I'm not sure if they put in lower compression pistons though.

The oil squirters on the pistons help ALOT, and will help aide keeping combustion temps down. The days of 15psi on the stock engine are over, BUT you dont need much boost when you have great heads, great exhaust, and high compression. 6-8psi will be the equivalent of adding 10-12psi on a lower compression engine.

Plus, nitrous LOVES compression so I think you'll see a good amount of people running spray instead of FI on stock 5.0's.
They might. It is a $34K package, but it has a lot of non-engine mods--almost every body panel, interior and suspension.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

I totally forgot about the GT350. I did look it up really quick and supposedly it has factory internals. BUT the warranty from Shelby (and/or Ford?) will be voided if you swap in a HBP. And on top of that they set the boost to 5 psi and they gave the engine a conservative tuned. All of that is for a good reason, I'd think.

It sounds ridiculous really, but I doubt the limit of the factory 5.0 block is just 450-500 whp. But if it is that would be pretty disappointing.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:53 PM
TQ > MPG

No, the block is probably good for 1000+hp, its the powdered rods that are the weak link, and the combustion pressure with FI and 11:1 is why the pistons may need to be swapped.

And like I said, who cares if its only good for 5 psi if it makes 550hp? What that tells me is that the heads flow awesome and with a simple piston/rod swap it will make some crazy numbers.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
I must admit that the new 5.0 is pretty fuckin bad ass. I hate American cars (trucks are a different story), and I can't remember, EVER, being so interested in a domestic CAR (save for maybe a Corvette/CTS-V).

I'll take mine with the Grabber blue, with a white racing stripe, brembos, sync, and the 1000 watt sound system and call it a day.

The price can easily reach 40k, but even then, compared to 370Z, etc, it's still a pretty awesome ride. Why buy a Nissan with a harsh, grainy motor when you can get a Mustang 5.0 with 412 HP? I can't even believe these words are being typed by me--I've owned Japanese cars since my first Ford (a 93 SHO) fell apart at 80k.

But this new Mustang 5.0?

I like the California special trim, but it deletes the "5.0" badges, which completely ruins the point.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 AM

No, the block is probably good for 1000+hp, its the powdered rods that are the weak link, and the combustion pressure with FI and 11:1 is why the pistons may need to be swapped.

And like I said, who cares if its only good for 5 psi if it makes 550hp? What that tells me is that the heads flow awesome and with a simple piston/rod swap it will make some crazy numbers.
Sorry, I should have said stock internals. When I said stock block, I meant everything from the pistons, to the rods, to the crank itself, etc. After all, changing any of the internals to forged aftermarket doesn't exactly mean it's a stock block anymore. And the appeal of that is so the average Joe (i.e., me) can do the swap in his garage. Of course you can do it in your garage after you pull the motor but it's more of a hassle than pulling the IM and bolting on a supercharger and just leaving the internals alone.

Its just that I'd rather play it safe than play around with high compression, FI and stock internals. I'll let others figure out the limit first
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ajt123
I must admit that the new 5.0 is pretty fuckin bad ass. I hate American cars (trucks are a different story), and I can't remember, EVER, being so interested in a domestic CAR (save for maybe a Corvette/CTS-V).

I'll take mine with the Grabber blue, with a white racing stripe, brembos, sync, and the 1000 watt sound system and call it a day.

The price can easily reach 40k, but even then, compared to 370Z, etc, it's still a pretty awesome ride. Why buy a Nissan with a harsh, grainy motor when you can get a Mustang 5.0 with 412 HP? I can't even believe these words are being typed by me--I've owned Japanese cars since my first Ford (a 93 SHO) fell apart at 80k.

But this new Mustang 5.0?

I like the California special trim, but it deletes the "5.0" badges, which completely ruins the point.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 AM
TQ > MPG

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Sorry, I should have said stock internals. When I said stock block, I meant everything from the pistons, to the rods, to the crank itself, etc. After all, changing any of the internals to forged aftermarket doesn't exactly mean it's a stock block anymore. And the appeal of that is so the average Joe (i.e., me) can do the swap in his garage. Of course you can do it in your garage after you pull the motor but it's more of a hassle than pulling the IM and bolting on a supercharger and just leaving the internals alone.

Its just that I'd rather play it safe than play around with high compression, FI and stock internals. I'll let others figure out the limit first
Well I come from the world that "stock block" refers to only that, the block. Since there are numerous companies that make aftermarket/stronger 302 based blocks, its not uncommon for someone to ask if its a stock block.

If the internals have been changed usually its referred to as the rotating assembly, or forged internals for example. Just a different point of view from a mustang guy.

BTW my 5.0 (actually 5.7 now) made 395rwhp with a pretty serious misfire, so once thats figured out 425+rwhp should be pretty reasonable to expect. Nothing wrong with N/A high compression, just like the 2011.