5.0 Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
as soon as they get they paint that cheap looking plastic trim around the bottom i'll begin to like them.

performance-wise its virtually unheard of for the price.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by av6ent
(with crazy potential)
The mustang folk are worried about the mod potential because of the high (11:1) compression and powder forged rods.
Supposedly the GT500 rods are the same type, but thicker. The '03-'04 Cobras used forged rods--part of the reason they can be made into such monsters so easily.

New Getrag transmission, too. Reviews say it is slick, but who knows if it will hold up. Probably will, but you never know.

If I get one, I will most likely just keep it to show mods, except for maybe gears.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
Ditto...^
Although impressed with the sub 12 et...I wouldn't get a car for just that. I'd get the 3.73, maybe up the exhaust (although I think they are already Xpipes etc) get painted whatever bezels and plastic pieces I think look cheap and lower it. 12 and a half second car or 11 and a half second car, RWD with that much power and that sound and look to it will be very fun IMO.
My plan is to wait for the 2012's to come out and pick up an 11 for a few grand under invoice. We'll see. I'm sold on the Darker silver metallic with Saddle leather interior, 373's, facotry projectors and the Brembo brake upgrade
Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Then I'll make my own thread about drunk cougars coming out of a club and sitting in my car.

...i kid, i kid...
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Ditto...^
Although impressed with the sub 12 et...I wouldn't get a car for just that. I'd get the 3.73, maybe up the exhaust (although I think they are already Xpipes etc) get painted whatever bezels and plastic pieces I think look cheap and lower it. 12 and a half second car or 11 and a half second car, RWD with that much power and that sound and look to it will be very fun IMO.
My plan is to wait for the 2012's to come out and pick up an 11 for a few grand under invoice. We'll see. I'm sold on the Darker silver metallic with Saddle leather interior, 373's, facotry projectors and the Brembo brake upgrade
I'm probably going to wait another year after that and do the same thing for a 2012. Crossing fingers for 3.73 gears on 2012 'verts.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM

^^^I don't think Ford changes much from year to year, although i could be wrong.
3.73 is a factory option now...for like 300 bucks I believe. Can probably have done at a shop after the fact for cheaper. Not sure.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^I don't think Ford changes much from year to year, although i could be wrong.
3.73 is a factory option now...for like 300 bucks I believe. Can probably have done at a shop after the fact for cheaper. Not sure.
The Ford website would not let me put 3.73 gears on a convertible, only on the coupe. Really doubt it is for a technical reason, so I bet the dealer can do it before you buy the car.

I am only waiting for lifestyle reasons. I want both of my kids to be in booster seats before I ditch the RDX as a daily driver. Plus that means no first model year woes.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Then I'll make my own thread about drunk cougars coming out of a club and sitting in my car.

...i kid, i kid...
haha....com'mon you know its a vette that gets them wet....

All kidding aside, the new mustang has definitely raised the bar for the entry level muscle category. It really makes the challenger non-existent in the class and out-trumps the new Camaro.

There is a whole controversy on that vid you posted on another forum. I'll just say dont count on running 11's THAT easily.

However, just to dip into the 12s is pretty amazing for a stock mustang. I hope a new mustang is in your future rockstar. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks man. It'll be my first muscle...
if you don't count my 1988 Ford Taurus station wagon I had in hs. Lol.

Also, they don't offer leather without the premium package online, but my friend called the dealer and you can add that too. I'm sure 373's will be available.

PS...glad you got the whim of the joke. lol...I'm sure you read my posts in that thread. lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by av6ent
TOTALLY UNCOMMON with those minimal mods. Those guys do offer parts and tuning for it, but I'd like to see someone can duplicate this time with those minimal mods. I truly doubt.

On the other hand, this is a first time I'm excited for the Rustang to deliver both serious performance (with crazy potential), decent look and based on reviews solid handling while nothing coming apart
We'll see. With slicks and a tune, I could see them lopping off a full second from the stock time. Full bolt-ons and a tune should bring the time down even more.

As far as potential, people will start to find out the limits of the tranny and engine. The Coyote is a reworked, bored and stroked 4.6 supposedly.... don't quote me on that. We'll see how it responds to bolt-ons.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Talked to my dealer today. Built a black 5.0 with the upgraded interior, brembos, 3.73s, and spoiler delete. He's always been great with me and we'll see what he can work out for a cost +.

Terry
Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Good luck, Terry! Super jealous!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S

All kidding aside, the new mustang has definitely raised the bar for the entry level muscle category. It really makes the challenger non-existent in the class and out-trumps the new Camaro.
Actually the Camaro SS still beats the new Stang in the 1/4 mile (by one tenth, but it does), and we all know the reason for the Challenger comment.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S

There is a whole controversy on that vid you posted on another forum. I'll just say dont count on running 11's THAT easily.

However, just to dip into the 12s is pretty amazing for a stock mustang. I hope a new mustang is in your future rockstar. Good luck.
How do you determine the mustang to be "entry level"? I've owned several, and never considered them to be an entry level car, regardless of trim or performance. People buy this particular style of car for a specific style and driving experience.

I agree that performance wise it exceeds the capabilities of the other two cross town rivals, but to claim the Challenger or Camaro aren't competitors in this class is rather shortsighted. All three demonstrate a particular allure that appeals to various individuals. And each has a particular driving dynamic as well.

Elevens? I believe it. I had my 2007 GT500 mid twelves with nothing more than tires and a tune. And it was a pig. The GT is much more refined and more importantly, less weight. Depending on axle ratio, it's new extra cog in the gearbox, an engine developing more than it's advertised horsepower, and hugely supported by the aftermarket community, I'm sure it will soon become a tuning favourite. My contacts at Ford Racing also inform me that much testing was performed to ensure it's reliability, as it's expected the car will be modified often by it's owners.

Terry
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sweet, Terry! post pics if you pick up a 5.0! Argh I want one so much....
Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

We'll see ST and MW. I hope so. It all depends on the price. If we can do it now, great. If we have to wait a bit, then that's fine as well.

Terry
Old 05-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Elevens? I believe it. I had my 2007 GT500 mid twelves with nothing more than tires and a tune.
How was the GT500 Terry? A friend of ours is selling her black stripeless 500 vert and I'm tempted to go for a test drive.

I saw a 2011 550HP Snake Mustang for the first time last weekend and man did that thing look good. Apart from the pricey asking price (I think it was 55) It would really be a replacement for the Z06.

Last edited by nokiaman; 05-12-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by nokiaman
How was the GT500 Terry? A friend of ours is selling her black stripeless 500 vert and I'm tempted to go for a test drive.

I saw a 2011 550HP Snake Mustang for the first time last weekend and man did that thing look good. Apart from the pricey asking price (I think it was 55) It would really be a replacement for the Z06.
Hi Mark

Overall, I liked it. I ordered before the frenzy, and thought for the price it was a very capable car. It was very fast and made a very seductive supercharger whine. Almost intoxicating. I'd call it more of tourer than a muscle car. Sweeping bends and mountain roads were amazing. Pushed hard, however, and you became very much aware of all that weight sitting over the front wheels. At speeds around town it almost felt cumbersome. It was also a very tall car. The suspension seemed very firm, and it wasn't particularly comfortable over the rough stuff. I think a convertible would be great if you used it as a tourer. They have tremendous torque and are actually quite easy to drive. It would be just as fast, if not faster, than your corvette, but the corvette would run circles around it. The 2010s are much improved, and almost feel to be a different car.

The SuperSnakes are great cars. If it was a 2010 or later that you saw it would have been either 630 or 750 horsepower. I've driven both, and each are explosive in acceleration.

Terry
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,234 Likes on 702 Posts
The 5.0 is quite a machine. Honestly, as much as I love the TL, the power, sound, & mods are extremely tempting & the car isn't impossibly out of reach.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,450 Likes on 4,972 Posts
I went to a Ford dealer monday to take a look at it. All they had on the lot was a 2011 V6 Premium model with a 6AT. The sticker said $29,5xx.

I am in love with the exterior, except for that unsightly gap where the trunk lid meets the tail lights/bumper.

The interior - while much, much better then the previous model, still doesnt wow me. The seats are comfortable, but they dont have much in the way of bolsters. I like the fact that the dashboard isnt as high as the older 05-09s; I can actually see out the window. The door panels are very plastic-y. There is absolutely no rear seat room. I had more space in my Prelude. The trunk is pretty damn big though. I do however think the "ambient lighting" aka LEDs in the cupholders and door handles is a bit cheap in my opinion.

I priced out a GT Premium 6MT (400A) in black with the satin black racing stripe. I also chose the Brembos, HID headlights (and with that your required to have the security package), 3.73 gears, comfort package and navigation (the stock headunit looks cheap as hell) and it came to $40k. You could get a base GT for $30k.

For what the car can do, it seems worth it. The interior just doesnt scream $40k to me though. I am still going to test drive it when I find one.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Wow....some very good information coming out here. Thanks all for sharing.

Terry, if it happens, be sure to give us one of your detailed threads/reviews etc. Pictures and how you feel about the purchase. Please.

This is definitely a viable option. I also think it's only a matter of time before you can get all those things MUCH MUCH cheaper after the fact. Like the projector lights, 373 gear, all that. Right now there's a lot of buzz about the 5.0 so they won't budge on price and will not take anything off for the extras. Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also on many forums that i am on they are waiting for the 2012 since the 2011 is the first make and they want to see if theres any issues with it at first and then get it later once any issues are worked out...this happened in 2005/2006 with some models...
Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I think the mpg rating of the new Stang is getting bandied about a bit too much. Make no mistake, if you drive this new 5.0 like a muscle car you will NOT be getting anywhere near your TL mileage. Period. Its just like Jeremy Clarkson said in that mpg episode with the M3 vs. the Prius: "Its not what you drive but how you drive." If you drive steady highway miles at 70 mph you might get those good numbers but if you drive it like a Mustang GT, I'd bet on low 14's.....
Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Talked to my dealer today. Built a black 5.0 with the upgraded interior, brembos, 3.73s, and spoiler delete. He's always been great with me and we'll see what he can work out for a cost +.

Terry
I hate you... will come down and give me a ride.. let me drive?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 AM

^^^me too, but the drive is a bit further.

I agree about the mpg...with the taller gears, possibly bigger wheels and a tune, you ain't getting that kind of mpg. Plus, the sound of the exhaust is intoxicating and will probably be hard not to punch it a bit. Then again, I CAN get 17 mpg mixed driving in the TL but I shoot for 22. I would do the same in the mustang.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I plan on getting a 2011 convertible down the road, with exhaust being the only mod (that's the plan, at least ).
Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
As far as potential, people will start to find out the limits of the tranny and engine. The Coyote is a reworked, bored and stroked 4.6 supposedly.... don't quote me on that. We'll see how it responds to bolt-ons.

I know you said not to quote you but

But back to the GT engine, which is officially labeled the 5.0-liter Ti-VCT DOHC V-8, though we prefer its unofficial code name, Coyote. It’s all-new, if you don’t count the bore-center spacing shared with the “modular” 4.6-liter V-8 that powers the 2010 Mustang GT. The reason for that is twofold: It allowed Ford to use its existing manufacturing infrastructure, and it made it easier to stick to a compressed development timeline.

Harrison tells us that aside from a few common nuts and bolts, nothing from the 4.6-liter carries over to the new 5.0. The larger displacement was achieved by increasing bore and stroke to 92.2 by 92.7 millimeters, up from 90.2 by 90.0mm. The compression ratio has leaped to 11.0:1, from 9.8. Most of the design work on the Coyote focused on airflow. It was such a priority that cylinder heads from the Shelby GT500 that might have been used were rejected because they didn’t flow well enough. The Coyote design moves the intake camshafts as far to the outside of the vee as possible to make room for a straight, smooth passage from the intake manifold. The intake valve’s diameter has been increased by 3.2mm, and a second exhaust valve was added, so there are now four valves per cylinder.

Plus, there is variable valve timing on both the intake- and exhaust-valve cams. Ford uses a cam-torque-actuated system, and each of the cam adjusters, located within the cam sprocket, has three lobes surrounded by oil. Solenoids control the flow of oil into the adjusters, and the size of the oil pocket on either side of each lobe is pumped up or reduced by using the energy from the natural fluctuations in cam torque as the valves open and close. This makes the cams move relative to the motion from the timing chain. Compared with systems where oil pressure is the motive force, Ford says this arrangement is faster and more efficient, and it doesn’t require a bigger pump.
They say its all new but then talk about increasing bore and stroke.

Terry can you provide any insight?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 AM

In the original video...it seems like they already have X pipes and a mean sounding exhaust. I guess flowmasters would be first order up...followed by some motorsport springs or SOMETHING to give it the PERFECT stance. You rarely see a muscle car sitting right, IMO.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom

Hi dom

The new 5.0 shares the bore spacing and deck height of the 4.6, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. I think this was mainly for reasons quoted, but most likely so Ford could use existing tooling for it's production. Allowing for an increase in bore and stroke while still being able to use existing equipment to manufacture it greatly reduces production costs. From it's six bolt mains, balanced forged crank, forged rods, and floating wrist pins, it's a pronounced departure from the 4.6. And of course the engine's new cylinder heads and intake share little with the 4.6 as well. A Ford source has also told me the new engine is also designed to provide superior oiling while under high g forces. I believe it now holds over eight quarts of engine oil. Hell, my big block FE's don't even hold eight quarts of oil.

Terry
Old 05-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Ford really out did themselves with this car. I would highly recommend it to anyone, but I can't see myself driving it.

Ohh and Ford really needs to get Independent Rear suspension, just imagine how much better it can be.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Ford really out did themselves with this car. I would highly recommend it to anyone, but I can't see myself driving it.

Ohh and Ford really needs to get Independent Rear suspension, just imagine how much better it can be.
As much as I agree with the advantages of an IRS, I don't think it will ever happen on the current Mustang. I think the primary reason are production costs. Ford wants the car to maintain it's affordability. Another reason is the realization that many of these cars will be highly modified with both Ford developed equipment and aftermarket parts. As crude as it is, a solid rear axle is inherently stronger than an IRS. I'm sure many of these Mustangs will find their way to both drag strips and race tracks, and many still prefer the strength and serviceability of a solid axle.

Terry
Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
As much as I agree with the advantages of an IRS, I don't think it will ever happen on the current Mustang. I think the primary reason are production costs. Ford wants the car to maintain it's affordability. Another reason is the realization that many of these cars will be highly modified with both Ford developed equipment and aftermarket parts. As crude as it is, a solid rear axle is inherently stronger than an IRS. I'm sure many of these Mustangs will find their way to both drag strips and race tracks, and many still prefer the strength and serviceability of a solid axle.

Terry
That is true that it provides a lot of benefits cost-wise. How much would a IRS add to the price of the mustang?? A couple thousand?? It is rumored that the Mustang may see a IRS as soon as 2014, lets hope so.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Last rumor I saw said the next gen Mustang (2015 model) would have IRS and be smaller and lighter. Of that, I believe we'll see the IRS.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

^^^me too, but the drive is a bit further.

I agree about the mpg...with the taller gears, possibly bigger wheels and a tune, you ain't getting that kind of mpg. Plus, the sound of the exhaust is intoxicating and will probably be hard not to punch it a bit. Then again, I CAN get 17 mpg mixed driving in the TL but I shoot for 22. I would do the same in the mustang.
FYI, 3.73 gears are shorter (lower) gears relative to what the car comes with as stock, not taller.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dom

The small block 302 that Ford carried for so long was a perfect over square design with a 4.00" bore and a 3.00" stroke. This works out to 301.59 cubic inches. A true "5.0 litre" engine would be a touch over 305 cubic inches (305.118).

So in order for Ford to get 4951 cm, they would have had to increase either the bore or the stroke (or both) just a hair since the small block displaced 4942 cm.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

According to one magazine, Ford now has the finest live rear axle in the world in the new 2011 Mustang. I say they should stay with this setup and I would bet they will since it is inherently stronger for drag racing - a motorsport sure to see its share of this new car.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the information. I've looked like a moron, many a time by saying taller gears. ha ha...guess it's the same as the bike...small cog gives you more acceleration faster but requires more effort.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the MT article said that the heads were a pretty radical departure design wise--different geometry for the cam locations, etc. That sounds like a complete redesign to me.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
That is true that it provides a lot of benefits cost-wise. How much would a IRS add to the price of the mustang?? A couple thousand?? It is rumored that the Mustang may see a IRS as soon as 2014, lets hope so.
Why when this setup out handles just about every thing out there and hangs with the very best from germany. Its just like every one complaining about chevy still using OHV instead of OHC. They found a way to make it work and work great. Ford obviously did a lot of homework because it works, and its very stout, which it needs to be cause you know there will be a lot of them being abused drag racing.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
The SuperSnakes are great cars. If it was a 2010 or later that you saw it would have been either 630 or 750 horsepower. I've driven both, and each are explosive in acceleration.
Terry
Hi Terry,

It appears that the car that I saw was actually a 2010 Shelby GT500 550HP.

The Snake is a whole different animal and costs quite a bit more especially the 750 that is in the neighborhood of the ZR-1 in pricing.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Anyone?