4 Symptoms That Your Connecting Rod Needs To Be Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021 | 01:15 AM
Former Sponsor

4 Symptoms That Your Connecting Rod Needs To Be Replaced

A connecting rod needs to be strong and durable for the engine to survive. If it’s too weak to handle the load of the combustion, then all the pressure will wear it down and bend it out of shape.

As for the driver, they will be able to notice when this occurs because there will be some very noticeable symptoms present. Below are the top 4 symptoms of connecting rod failure.

Low Engine Oil

If you have a bad or failing connecting rod, then it may cause your engine to consume too much oil. Because of this, you may find that your engine always has a low level of oil.
Either that or your existing oil will need to be changed more often than usual.

Engine Knocking Sounds

When your engine is turned on and running, you may hear a knocking sound coming from it. This will be a repeated knocking sound that gets faster as your engine speed increases.
The sounds may go away after a short while, once your oil has a chance to circulate through the engine components and lubricate them.

Reduced Oil Pressure

A bad connecting rod could have devastating effects on your engine’s oil pressure. There may be an oil pressure gauge on your engine which will tell you when it has low oil pressure.
You could have a warning light on your dashboard that will tell you as well. If you have low oil pressure, then it means the oil cannot circulate properly through the engine.
This might lead to an overheated engine if the problem is not resolved quickly.

Bent or Damaged Rod

If you suspect that you have a bent or damaged connecting rod, based on the other symptoms which may be present,
then you need to visually inspect the rod yourself to see what its condition is.
This would require your engine to be disassembled, which is a job that only a mechanic should do.

If the above situation occurs, then this means that you need to replace the new connecting rod.

MaXpeedingRods high-performance H-Beam connecting rods with Forged SAE 4340 Chrome Moly Steel for the highest strength and durability, dedicated for street and race vehicles.
Get your pistons pumping with tough, top-quality connecting rods from MaXpeedingRods

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for more Honda-related accessories information, enter maxpeedingrods.com

|Facebook| YouTube | Instagram |
Old 06-09-2021 | 05:28 AM

no. this is not how any of this works.
Old 06-09-2021 | 06:53 AM
GEEZER

These guys cant be serious.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1killercls:
Chief F1 Fan (06-09-2021), teh CL (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 07:15 AM

I can't seem to find the con-rods in my project engine....just doritos.
The following users liked this post:
Aman (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2

I can't seem to find the con-rods in my project engine....just doritos.
For extra crunch and extra oomph, I recommend these 00TL and never mind the crunching noise, it doesn't mean a thing.

Old 06-09-2021 | 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

(so tempted to put this thread in Ramblings)

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 06-09-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2021 | 07:57 AM

Wouldn't the 3D give more compression [and crunch], spicy = octane boost right?

Old 06-09-2021 | 08:52 AM
Ex-OEM King

Whatever you can do to get rid of the oil burning...

In any case, connecting rods aren't exactly a wear component lol. Any of those "symptoms" could be, and probably are, one of a thousand other things.
CCColtsicehockey (06-18-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 09:30 AM

Oil burn [on the Dorito-spinner] is solved by running premix & blocking off the metering oil pump [MOP].
Old 06-09-2021 | 10:01 AM
Latent car nut

OMG, this idiot sponsor has just hit a new low.
The following 4 users liked this post by horseshoez:
1killercls (06-11-2021), CCColtsicehockey (06-18-2021), Chief F1 Fan (06-09-2021), Sarlacc (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 12:40 PM
Turd Polisher

The information is somewhat valid .. but, we all know it's a sale pitch for their China run of the mill connecting rods

Old 06-09-2021 | 01:03 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by TylerT
The information is somewhat valid .. but, we all know it's a sale pitch for their China run of the mill connecting rods
I think you're giving the idiot who wrote the initial blurb way too much credit. I mean seriously, I cannot think of one verified event where an engine failure was traced back to a connecting rod failure, not one. Yes, connecting rods do often suffer damage when an engine fails, but it is rarely, if EVER, the primary point of failure.

Note: the context for my comments above are within the realm of a stock production engine operating within normal parameters. Boosting a production engine to say, 67 psi, is an entirely different discussion.

Last edited by horseshoez; 06-09-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Chief F1 Fan (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 05:53 PM
Drifting

Are you tired of your crankcase lacking large holes to see your internal components?
Are your old cast iron connection rods ugly and not anodized gold?
When your engine builder recommends MAHLE components do you argue with him over price and order the first thing you find with searching cheap critical engine components on duckduckgo.
Then I've got a deal for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stapler:
CCColtsicehockey (06-18-2021), justnspace (06-09-2021), SamDoe1 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 06:05 PM

Old 06-09-2021 | 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Whatever you can do to get rid of the oil burning...

In any case, connecting rods aren't exactly a wear component lol. Any of those "symptoms" could be, and probably are, one of a thousand other things.
Please don't feed the troll, er I mean "sponsor."
Old 06-09-2021 | 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TylerT
I have never in my 61 years heard of someone having to replace their con rods-ever, unless building a hi perf engine. Why would you give any creedence to this mindless post?? Ask yourself the same question, how many people do you know who had to replace con rods? None. Exactly.
Old 06-09-2021 | 08:51 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
I have never in my 61 years heard of someone having to replace their con rods-ever, unless building a hi perf engine. Why would you give any creedence to this mindless post?? Ask yourself the same question, how many people do you know who had to replace con rods? None. Exactly.
I've had to replace con rods a few times over the years. Why? The drivers of those cars neglected to check the oil and spun a bunch of rod bearings; fortunately they were wise enough shut the engine off before one or more of the rods broke and punched a hole in the side of the block.

The above said, like I wrote further up thread, I have never heard of a single instance where an engine failure was traced back to a rod failure as the root cause.

Edit: one exception I just remembered. Back when I was working for Mercedes-Benz North America, the CEO of MB-USA was driving his S600 during a torrential rain in northern Bergen County, New Jersey (many of you know what is coming)...

When the car was rolled off the flatbed and into the shop, there was still water leaking from every orifice. For whatever reason, Mercedes decided to rebuild the car versus scrap it; to that end, every wiring harness every electronic component, and all "soft" surfaces were removed from the car and hung up all over the shop walls. Then the engine teardown happened; geez, some of the rods looked like twisted licorice sticks; fortunately the V12 block somehow escaped unscathed, so in went 12 new pistons, new rods, bearings, and a new forged crank. Just the cost of rebuilding the engine alone was $25,000, and this was back in 1996! Funny thing, when the OBC was downloaded, it showed he'd been maintaining about 30 mph through what was over two feet of water; damn, that must have been quite the wake he was creating, errr, right up until the engine went "NOPE", and hydrolocked.

Last edited by horseshoez; 06-09-2021 at 09:05 PM.
rockstar143 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I think you're giving the idiot who wrote the initial blurb way too much credit. I mean seriously, I cannot think of one verified event where an engine failure was traced back to a connecting rod failure, not one. Yes, connecting rods do often suffer damage when an engine fails, but it is rarely, if EVER, the primary point of failure.

Note: the context for my comments above are within the realm of a stock production engine operating within normal parameters. Boosting a production engine to say, 67 psi, is an entirely different discussion.
Originally Posted by The fireball View Post
It's more than likely a start-up company trying to weasel its way into the market. I'd imagine if they really are good and start gaining popularity, the prices will rise. I've never heard of them, but I also don't go looking for a bunch of different obscure companies who make parts for our cars.
You're pretty much the guinea pig here on how well they'll hold up. To update the thread with info in the future if something, or nothing, happens. I still haven't lowered my car, so if they really are as good as you say they are, I might think about grabbing some.

To ensure that someone may want to know MaXpeedingRods brand, I'd like to give some introductions here.

Established in 2006, MaXpeedingRods is an aftermarket auto parts manufacturer that specializes in conrods, turbos, coilovers, and other accessories. We've accumulated over 4 million customers in the world during these years. As you can see, we started to cooperate with platforms like Acurazine Forum to build this brand. It has grown up in a positive direction.

There are voices on the Internet saying that we only sell cheap products, but the reason is that all our products are produced in our own factories, and sold directly bypassing distributors. That's why our products are comparatively lower than other brands.

MaXpeedingRods started its business with a set of conrods 15 years ago. In the future, we will still aim to manufacture higher quality products both for daily replacement or track use. But on the other hand, to make sure that those modification lovers with a tight budget have access to our parts, the price will still be relatively appropriate. It is our initial intention.
Old 06-09-2021 | 09:54 PM
Safety Car

I for one am morbidly curious as to:
1) How do you even pronounce MaXpeedingrods
2) What is it even supposed to mean?
3) Who decided they this would be a good name? It’s bad for so many reasons…
dopeboy1 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2021 | 10:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I for one am morbidly curious as to:
1) How do you even pronounce MaXpeedingrods
2) What is it even supposed to mean?
3) Who decided they this would be a good name? It’s bad for so many reasons…
The brand's name is shortened from three words: max speed conrods. The company started the business by producing conrods product in the beginning.
Because It indeed encountered some problems when applying for the brand name, so it has the MaXpeedingRods you see now.
Old 06-09-2021 | 11:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Please don't feed the troll, er I mean "sponsor."
Originally Posted by justnspace
no. this is not how any of this works.
Seems that we always see some familiars join discussions in the vendor's posts. It’s a very small number of people that seem to all be mods. When we post about the brand, one of the moderators or their buddy bash the company.
Wondering that if you guys really used the brand's product? Or just want to bash a new brand based on the first impression?

Personally, this is just a sharing post.
As SamDoe1 said:
connecting rods aren't exactly a wear component lol. Any of those "symptoms" could be, and probably are, one of a thousand other things.

You have the right to agree and disagree. Any words are acceptable, A new brand should experience a stage with suspicion, acceptance, and growing.
I talk here because I see this brand indeed grow better, with my 3 years of work experience together with the brand.
Old 06-09-2021 | 11:44 PM
The Third Ball

Love how these jokers are playing the victim card now. Except they are the ones who spammed us. Not even an apology…just more more worthless shit posting.

fuck off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
justnspace (06-10-2021), Thefireball (06-17-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 06:27 AM

maxpeedingrods is getting torn apart like their connecting rods.

I dont know anyone who would buy a no name product especially something as crucial as a connecting rod...maybe thats why y'all switched to coilovers?
cheaper to produce and preying on people who want sub $500 modifications (ie; the poor people). Very disgusting to go after the poor. don't get me started on the lack of ethics with the marketing.

Last edited by justnspace; 06-10-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2021 | 08:06 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Originally Posted by MaXpeedingRods
It's more than likely a start-up company trying to weasel its way into the market. I'd imagine if they really are good and start gaining popularity, the prices will rise. I've never heard of them, but I also don't go looking for a bunch of different obscure companies who make parts for our cars.
You're pretty much the guinea pig here on how well they'll hold up. To update the thread with info in the future if something, or nothing, happens. I still haven't lowered my car, so if they really are as good as you say they are, I might think about grabbing some.

To ensure that someone may want to know MaXpeedingRods brand, I'd like to give some introductions here.

Established in 2006, MaXpeedingRods is an aftermarket auto parts manufacturer that specializes in conrods, turbos, coilovers, and other accessories. We've accumulated over 4 million customers in the world during these years. As you can see, we started to cooperate with platforms like Acurazine Forum to build this brand. It has grown up in a positive direction.

There are voices on the Internet saying that we only sell cheap products, but the reason is that all our products are produced in our own factories, and sold directly bypassing distributors. That's why our products are comparatively lower than other brands.

MaXpeedingRods started its business with a set of conrods 15 years ago. In the future, we will still aim to manufacture higher quality products both for daily replacement or track use. But on the other hand, to make sure that those modification lovers with a tight budget have access to our parts, the price will still be relatively appropriate. It is our initial intention.
The brand's name is shortened from three words: max speed conrods. The company started the business by producing conrods product in the beginning.
Because It indeed encountered some problems when applying for the brand name, so it has the MaXpeedingRods you see now.
Seems that we always see some familiars join discussions in the vendor's posts. It’s a very small number of people that seem to all be mods. When we post about the brand, one of the moderators or their buddy bash the company.
Wondering that if you guys really used the brand's product? Or just want to bash a new brand based on the first impression?

Personally, this is just a sharing post.
As SamDoe1 said:
connecting rods aren't exactly a wear component lol. Any of those "symptoms" could be, and probably are, one of a thousand other things.

You have the right to agree and disagree. Any words are acceptable, A new brand should experience a stage with suspicion, acceptance, and growing.
I talk here because I see this brand indeed grow better, with my 3 years of work experience together with the brand.
Rosetta Stoned really does work wonders.
Nicely done.
It's not no name, Justin. Been around since 2006 like my favorite pair of boxer briefs (holes but I still have them).

With that said, these 3 posts are the first ones that make sense to me and seem to address concerns directly.
The hit em fast and hit em hard approach was not the right way to tackle Acurazine to impress your director of Marketing (probably same guy that make the rods).

My honest suggestion is just apologize for spamming members and treating us like tiktok/IG and you'll get the mods and others with half a brain that have been
around for a LONG time on board. Maybe not as far as promoting your product, but at the very least not talking shit every time you post something.
You're trying to be better and we can do the same. That's how relationships work.

FWIW, welcome and let's all get on the same page.
The following 5 users liked this post by rockstar143:
1killercls (06-11-2021), CCColtsicehockey (06-18-2021), Chief F1 Fan (06-10-2021), ttribe (06-10-2021), Yumcha (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 08:34 AM
The inconvenient truth

This is a great example of why you should check with a native English speaker when coming up with an English name.

They would have told you that a ding rod could easily mean penis and max pee is very self explanatory.

So your name basically means the most peeing penis. Anyone would think twice before visiting that website.
The following 2 users liked this post by dopeboy1:
CCColtsicehockey (06-18-2021), Thefireball (06-17-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 09:12 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
This is a great example of why you should check with a native English speaker when coming up with an English name.

They would have told you that a ding rod could easily mean penis and max pee is very self explanatory.

So your name basically means the most peeing penis. Anyone would think twice before visiting that website.
LOL, this reminds me of when I was developing a custom MRP system for a U.S. based company working with an Industrial Design firm in Norway and an injection molding factory in Taiwan. On one of my visits to Taiwan they'd hired a new/young engineer, a tall handsome fair skinned and dark eyed and haired kid who'd chosen his English name as Dick. Those of us from the North America were like, "Oh no, not happening! You need to choose a different name."

"No, I want my name to be Dick."

The American and Canadian crew conspired and we renamed him Elvis. He was initially offended, but when we schooled him on "The Elvis" (Elvis Presley), and then another "Elvis" (Elvis Costello), he instantly warmed up to his new moniker. As far as I know, he still goes by Elvis.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
rockstar143 (06-10-2021), ttribe (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Even something like Typhoon Tuning would be a much better name. It’s alliterative, it’s still somewhat Chinese inspired, and it doesn’t sound like an R. Kelly line of dildos.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
CCColtsicehockey (06-18-2021), Chief F1 Fan (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 09:53 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

LOL, this reminds me of when I was developing a custom MRP system for a U.S. based company working with an Industrial Design firm in Norway and an injection molding factory in Taiwan. On one of my visits to Taiwan they'd hired a new/young engineer, a tall handsome fair skinned and dark eyed and haired kid who'd chosen his English name as Dick. Those of us from the North America were like, "Oh no, not happening! You need to choose a different name."

The American and Canadian crew conspired and we renamed him Elvis. He was initially offended, but when we schooled him on "The Elvis" (Elvis Presley), and then another "Elvis" (Elvis Costello), he instantly warmed up to his new moniker. As far as I know, he still goes by Elvis.
This guy end up making connecting rods?
If so, he doesn't go by Elvis...
horseshoez (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021 | 10:13 AM
GEEZER

(so tempted to put this thread in Ramblings)
That would be the proper thing to do...I mean...it would get more exposure there.
Old 06-10-2021 | 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fiatlux
It’s alliterative, it’s still somewhat Chinese inspired, and it doesn’t sound like an R. Kelly line of dildos.

Old 06-11-2021 | 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Similar story. Pan is a relatively common Asian family name. I got put on a project with one of them who chose Peter as his English name.

Sending emails to Peter Pan, like, “who the fuck does this guy think he is?”
horseshoez (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021 | 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Similar story. Pan is a relatively common Asian family name. I got put on a project with one of them who chose Peter as his English name.

Sending emails to Peter Pan, like, “who the fuck does this guy think he is?”
https://www.peterpanbmw.com/
Old 06-18-2021 | 03:18 PM
I am dumb

"Don't quote me, boy, 'cause I ain't said shit" - Eazy E