2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT brake upgrade

So, I know I've been gone a long-ass time, but I had a quick question for all you very knowledgeable guys here.

I need to buy a set of all new pads and rotors. I'd like to get cross-drilled rotors to reduce fade and chance of warpage, and good pads. What brands do you recommend?

And to that end, does anyone know what the front and rear pad and rotor sizes are on the 06 Accord EX V6 6MT?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
the answers to all your questions are at v 6 p . n e t
Old 12-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks I'll have a look.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:10 AM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've got $100 extra bucks go for the 95 Acura Legend GS dual piston calipers. They're a great and cheap upgrade for the 6 speed Accords.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Say no to cross-drilled rotors...
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by EPS CL
If you've got $100 extra bucks go for the 95 Acura Legend GS dual piston calipers. They're a great and cheap upgrade for the 6 speed Accords.
What about the auto?

I would steer clear of cross-drilled rotors.

Brake rotor and pad manufacturers make a wide range of economy and performance items. The OEM is worried about quality and design life. That's why I stick with OEM. They have the best quality, and have the best compromises about quality, performance, brake dust, and squeaking.

I tried aftermarket pads before, and they sucked. Brake dust like you would not believe, and they were noisy, even after some grease. I eventually slipped back to OEM pads, and have not had a problem since. If you break the pads in right, you'll get years of performance from them.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Since I can't link you to that "other" forum, I'll just copy and paste my thread on my rotorpro rotors and pads. I have an 03 6mt. The rotors are 11.2" in the front vs. 11" for the auto V6. I'm drawing a blank on the back rotors right now but I'm pretty sure they're the same size as the autos.

Trying some lesser known rotors/pads...

Well I'm due for some front rotors since they're definitely warped and not getting any better. I had them turned right after I bought my 03 AV6mt in July since I was already getting some pulsing from harder stops. That lasted all of a few months and for a month or so now I cringe every time I have to apply the brakes. I figured I'd just do the fronts and rears, rotors and pads all at once and get it over with, all new all around so I won't have to do the backs eventually as well.

So I researched the crap-ola out of threads on here about brakes and came to the conclusion that there were two ends of the spectrum. Either go with A) stock blanks and decent pads and just replace the rotors when they warp or go with B) Rotoras or Powerslots and either Hawk or Greenstuff pads and have an awesome set up but pay out of the arse for everything.

Well, I chose C. I looked around long and hard at some cheap eBay slotted/drilled rotors and pad combinations and just couldn't pull the trigger. They all looked the same and didn't offer me any comfort in knowing why they were better than the other cheap-o rotors/pads out there. Plus I didn't want to get both slotted and drilled since I personally think it's overkill and have read over and over about how slots eat up pads. I've owned slotted/drilled and it's true, they do eat up pads along with creating massive amounts of brake dust.

So long story short, I found this company called rotorpros out of Cali. I read all about them from other forums and people ranted and raved about how inexpensive yet good quality they are and they would definitely buy them again, even over Rotoras and Powerslots. They use Centrik rotors and custom drill/slot per your order. If you want drilled only, slotted only, drilled/slotted, blanks, etc. they will do it. Their customer service was outstanding and my emails were replied before I could even check my inbox quick enough. Every question I asked was answered to the tee and made sense. Their prices are outstanding and they really seem to have a good product. I went with the drilled only, my thinking being they will run a lot cooler thus preventing warping and I'm sure someone would turn drilled only sooner than drilled/slotted. I ordered their premium semi-metallic pads to go along with them which they claim are low-dust, low-noise and require almost no break-in time. I read a press release on them and a review and they did very well.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself! Hopefully they turn out to be a nice median alternative to the other options I've come across. I'll update it once I get them on and let you know how they work.

BEFORE

AFTER

Well it's been a few days and I'm loving these brakes! There's no vibration what so ever and the brake effort is very linear. I actually enjoy applying the brakes now and find myself down shifting a lot less and using their stopping power. My stops are super smooth and there's no noise what-so-ever, so I couldn't be happier. The only thing I've noticed so far that could be considered a negative is there's quite a bit of brake dust on my wheels, but I think there will be less and less once the pads surface are conformed to the rotors face, but time will tell, so we'll see. So far though I'd say these rotors/pads are definitely well worth the money and I'd recommend Rotorpros over any eBay rotors of the same cost.
So that was from February and I've been 100% happy with the set up. No pulsing, no fading, no squeeking, no large amounts of brake dust after the pads bedded, nothing other than just good reliable stopping power at a great price. And the black coating has held up beautifully over the past year, granted I live in a warm dry climate. I know not everyone is comfortable going with a lesser known brake company, so it's your call, but if I had to do it again I would definitely go the same route I went before and go through rotorpros.com for my rotors and pads.

Oh, and to those saying stay away from cross-drilled rotors or aftermarket pads, I totally disagree. Why would high end high performance cars like Porsche and Ferrari put cross-drilled rotors on their cars if they have no significant performance advantage? I didn't get mine for that persay, but for the cooling effect to prevent the very well documented warping of Honda stock rotors. The pads I got are awesome, too. Honda OEM stock pads are another reason the OEM brakes suck on Accords/TLs/CLs. Now if you go with a super aggressive pad like Hawks or Greenstuff expect serious brake dust, squeeking and they'll eat your rotors up quick, but a good quality semi-performance oriented pad will not give you those drawbacks. This is all from personal experience, not something I read on the interweb.

Last edited by SuperTrooper169; 12-22-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Take a look at Excelerate and Tire Rack to see what they have for options. FWIW, I like the Hawk ceramic pads and Power Slot rotors I have on my TSX. The pads are little squeeky, but nothing terrible. And the brake dust is less than what I had with OEM brakes.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169

Oh, and to those saying stay away from cross-drilled rotors or aftermarket pads, I totally disagree. Why would high end high performance cars like Porsche and Ferrari put cross-drilled rotors on their cars if they have no significant performance advantage?
Ferrari and Porsche rotors aren't actually drilled, the holes are cast in place during manufacturing.....a more expensive process which yields a far more stable rotor than one that is simply drilled.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
seizure force field!

I'm due for a rotor change, I already have new pads that I haven't installed. I might have to check if rotorpros is local since I'm in Cali to save on shipping.

My rotors definitely won't be drilled/slotted.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMirror
Ferrari and Porsche rotors aren't actually drilled, the holes are cast in place during manufacturing.....a more expensive process which yields a far more stable rotor than one that is simply drilled.
OK, they're cast instead of drilled, but I wasn't talking about the process in which they're made, I was making a point about the idea of holes creating air flow circulating through the rotors thus creating a cooling effect.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
seizure force field!

Quick search turned up RotorPros is located in Santa Ana, Ca. I shot them an email asking for a quote and if they allow for self pick-up.

OK, they're cast instead of drilled, but I wasn't talking about the process in which they're made, I was making a point about the idea of holes creating air flow circulating through the rotors thus creating a cooling effect.
Lets not turn this into a drilled/slotted/dimpled rotor vs blank rotor comparison thread. Arguments can be made on both sides about the cooling/integrity of each... plenty of threads about that crap.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought slotted rotors from excelerate years ago and used new stock pads. Had no issues at all. If you want to upgrade the rotors I would get slotted but the cross drilled is expensive and unnecessary.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
well, what i think he means is when they are made w/ the holes, the rotor is a lot stronger than when a company takes a rotor and simply drills holes into them. most people who tell me they don't like cross drilled rotors is b/c they feel it weakens the rotor when simply drilled
Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 AM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

The best rotors to get would be simple Brembo blanks. They work well enough and don't warp. Hawk HPS pads are a nice addition as well. As far as the Legend caliper upgrade, it should apply to both 6 speeds and automatics. The 6 speed has larger rotors, but it is the thickness you are most concerned with the Legend upgrade since you are reusing the stock bracket. I believe the auto and manual have the same thickness in rotor so you should be fine.

Upgraded rotors don't do a whole lot with slots/drilled holes/dimples alone. The two things that help the most are size and weight. Getting larger rotors helps performance because there is more surface area for heat to disperse over. Getting 2 piece rotors that feature aluminum centers result in a good weight loss, which helps braking (and acceleration as well).

That's my two cents on brake upgrades on this car. Unless you are going big (larger rotors, lighter rotors, 4 piston Wilwoods, etc) you may as well just get the Brembo blank rotors and Hawk HPS pads (and posssibly the Legend calipers).
Old 12-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would get the Centric Premium or Raybestos AT blanks over the Brembo ones. The Brembo blanks don't have painted hats.

The HPS pads are great.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
contract excelerate or Mr. Heeltoe and see what they can do, I got some racingbake rotors for my TL and LOVE THEM to death!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
word of advice, stay away from the ebc sports rotors. many accord owners are having issues with em.. myself included

many people seem to be loving the setup of brembo blanks and hawk pads