2005 Acura TL VS 2005 Lexus ES330

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Exterior, is of course subjective...well looks in general.

But I honestly find nothing wrong with the car. If he is looking for something simple and classy, and will be driving around clientel then I think the ES is a good choice. Its very simple and elegant.

But of course you are going to have to expect a board full of enthusiasts to not like the car. But there purposes for driving differ and something they fail to see past their own sterring wheel.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Minch00

I think that looks damn good, especially the interior.
I can pass on that Toyota Camry exterior but that interior is just right IMHO...all the panels are flush with the use of some great interior materials. I personally prefer the Cashmere Leather/Maple interior over the Black Leather/Red Walnut interior but it's all good.

If it just had a bit more performance (i.e.: at least 250hp to go with its 240lb-ft), my heart would me more into the ES.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:36 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That interior does look comfy

IMO, the ES was built for people looking exactly for what you are looking for.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went driving....

Well, I did a couple of test drives today .

First stop was the Lexus dealership. Very friendly atmosphere, I simply walked in and said "I'd like to look at an ES330" and within two minutes we were in the lot looking at the selection. They didn't have any black/black loaded the way we wanted, but we decided to drive the "base" model they had, with no HIDs, Navi, etc etc. So we were driving and I have to say, the fit and finish of this car is VERY well done. Everything is solid and the build quality was terrific. The woodgrain was the best I've ever felt in a car (not that I've been in many), very smooth and solid feeling. Now, the car itself was great, then came the drive. Now, I will give this car a nice cushy ride, a very quiet interior, and a good sound system and seat comfort. However, the engine/transmission didn't feel good at all. The car had 12 miles on the clock, and when I would mash on the gas, the engine would hesitate for a few seconds before actually engaging. The transmission, whenever upshifting, would almost "clunk" into gear, a very hard switch, not what I was expecting AT ALL. Overall the powertrain wasn't as smooth as I had expected. However, I'm sure the new 6-speed auto tranny is much better, this 5-speed didn't even have a manumatic shifting mode. We were quoated around $479 a month for 48/12,000, with around $1,600 due at signing. This was a bare bones NO OPTIONS ES330.

Then to the Acura dealership. I've been in contact with them for about a week, they were looking forward for me to come in, I called and scheduled ahead of time. The demo car was already out front and the salesperson was waiting on me. He was a very cool guy, nice and knowledgeable, and he was proud of the car. We looked around the car, opened the trunk and hood. It was White w/Parchment, my least fav color combo, but it STILL looked really good. It was a 5auto w/Navi. WOW is the Navi screen huge and easy to read. Touchscreen AND voice-activiated, what a GREAT option. So we didn't go the normal Acura test route (there is a set path that I usually take when driving Acuras at this particular dealer, sales-person recommended of course). As we were driving we were talking about the Legend GS, the CL and the downfall of the NSX. Anyway, we got to a road around an industrial area, very rough, the TL took it like a CHAMP. The suspension was solid, the steering had a great feel, overall I was VERY impressed. I could feel more of the road than in the ES, but both setups have their advantages. So I go into a free lane of traffic and he said enjoy it, there was a long sweeping S-curve, so I hit the throttle and tapped it down into second gear......

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I got it up to 95mph, and I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED IT. I decided right then and there this was the car for me. On the way back we were discussing the navigaton and it's helpfullness, and how it was available with a male voice that never gets used because we're used to being told how to drive by women

So we get back and he throws out a number, around $529 a month (before taxes) for 48/12,000 with around $900 due at signing. This is fully loaded with the Navi. The Abyss Blue Pearl w/Quarz is my choice, he's going to check his allotments and see what he has coming in.

Now, is this a good deal? Or should I try to get around $500 a month including taxes with the same amount down?

All in all, for overall value, the TL > ES330. That is all.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:24 AM
goldmemberererer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In terms of quality/service ONLY: TL is a good car, the ES is an excellent car. In almost every other aspect (save for comfort), it's switched around. I'm glad you like the TL; I really don't think you'll regret that choice. I've been in a couple and they're very well executed sport sedans with more than enough luxury. Above all, the styling is fucking fantastic. You'll feel good stepping into it whenever you do.

That being said, I think you can get a better deal. Also, are you opposed to having a MT?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
so what the hell minch, is this car for a friend or for you?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Well, I did a couple of test drives today .

First stop was the Lexus dealership. Very friendly atmosphere, I simply walked in and said "I'd like to look at an ES330" and within two minutes we were in the lot looking at the selection. They didn't have any black/black loaded the way we wanted, but we decided to drive the "base" model they had, with no HIDs, Navi, etc etc. So we were driving and I have to say, the fit and finish of this car is VERY well done. Everything is solid and the build quality was terrific. The woodgrain was the best I've ever felt in a car (not that I've been in many), very smooth and solid feeling. Now, the car itself was great, then came the drive. Now, I will give this car a nice cushy ride, a very quiet interior, and a good sound system and seat comfort. However, the engine/transmission didn't feel good at all. The car had 12 miles on the clock, and when I would mash on the gas, the engine would hesitate for a few seconds before actually engaging. The transmission, whenever upshifting, would almost "clunk" into gear, a very hard switch, not what I was expecting AT ALL. Overall the powertrain wasn't as smooth as I had expected. However, I'm sure the new 6-speed auto tranny is much better, this 5-speed didn't even have a manumatic shifting mode. We were quoated around $479 a month for 48/12,000, with around $1,600 due at signing. This was a bare bones NO OPTIONS ES330.

Then to the Acura dealership. I've been in contact with them for about a week, they were looking forward for me to come in, I called and scheduled ahead of time. The demo car was already out front and the salesperson was waiting on me. He was a very cool guy, nice and knowledgeable, and he was proud of the car. We looked around the car, opened the trunk and hood. It was White w/Parchment, my least fav color combo, but it STILL looked really good. It was a 5auto w/Navi. WOW is the Navi screen huge and easy to read. Touchscreen AND voice-activiated, what a GREAT option. So we didn't go the normal Acura test route (there is a set path that I usually take when driving Acuras at this particular dealer, sales-person recommended of course). As we were driving we were talking about the Legend GS, the CL and the downfall of the NSX. Anyway, we got to a road around an industrial area, very rough, the TL took it like a CHAMP. The suspension was solid, the steering had a great feel, overall I was VERY impressed. I could feel more of the road than in the ES, but both setups have their advantages. So I go into a free lane of traffic and he said enjoy it, there was a long sweeping S-curve, so I hit the throttle and tapped it down into second gear......

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I got it up to 95mph, and I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED IT. I decided right then and there this was the car for me. On the way back we were discussing the navigaton and it's helpfullness, and how it was available with a male voice that never gets used because we're used to being told how to drive by women

So we get back and he throws out a number, around $529 a month (before taxes) for 48/12,000 with around $900 due at signing. This is fully loaded with the Navi. The Abyss Blue Pearl w/Quarz is my choice, he's going to check his allotments and see what he has coming in.

Now, is this a good deal? Or should I try to get around $500 a month including taxes with the same amount down?

All in all, for overall value, the TL > ES330. That is all.

The ES is DEFINITELY geared (pun?) more for comfort than performance. The comparison between the TL and ES is closer on paper than in real life. If this is any indicator, I like the TL better but my wife likes the ES better.

That said, I was quoted the same lease payment for the TL with $1k due at signing but the idea of paying $530/mo makes me wince. I'm too much of a penny pincher to do it.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattg
so what the hell minch, is this car for a friend or for you?

Well, my friend was the one the car is for, he is probably going to end up purchasing an ES, but I'm going to try to talk my parents into changing one of their cars for the TL

Edit: A 6speed TL is out of the question. My mom has to be able to drive every car we own ( ) and she refuses to learn stick.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the ES is made in Japan, or manufactured in America?

I believe the ES could be made in Canada, in the Cambridge, ON or from the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY or Tsutsumi, Japan. I think there is not much of issue over NA/ Japan made Lexus as compared to Honda/ Acura. The ES IS a nicely built car but not on the same league as the TL. A tad pinch of performance but an abundance of luxury. I prefer a good mix of both from the TL.

Last edited by Vicman17; 06-12-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicman17
I believe the ES could be made in Canada, in the Cambridge, ON or from the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY or Tsutsumi, Japan. I think there is not much of issue over NA/ Japan made Lexus as compared to Honda/ Acura. The ES IS a nicely built car but not on the same league as the TL. A tad pinch of performance but an abundance of luxury. I prefer a good mix of both from the TL.
The ES(Toyota Windom)is made in Japan. RX330 is made in Cambridge Ontario.

Last edited by MSZ; 06-12-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I bought my Acura from a Lexus dealership. Their service was the best out of any other place that I've been to...by far! They even resurfaced my rotors and replaced the pads on my used ACURA months after I had bought it. Something Acura didn't wanna do, even with the TSB.