2003 Acura CL vs. 2003 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Acura CL vs. 2003 Audi A4

I just got the Acura 3.2 CL type S w/ Nav recently. I've been having regrets/anxieties bc I really wanted the A4 up until it was time to buy a car. Tell me reasons why A4 sucks please!!! and i made the right decision =)
Old 05-10-2003, 11:31 AM

its a jetta with 4 circles on the grille.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:31 AM
__

4 doors and shitty reliabilty (sshh Amir)
Old 05-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Old 05-10-2003, 12:23 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because you don't want to have the same car as every other chick (although judging by your name you are a chick)!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Lone CL-P Owner

1) your car is much, much faster
2) honda engines are much much more reliable then vw, my uncle who has a A6, and my neighbor that has the A6 4.2T both want to change cars cause repairs even after a year are brutal
3) audis cost more because of the name
4) you have more trunk space, more back seat space too. ive been in a 2000 A4 2.8t, and the backseat is small compared to the cl, no foot room
5) your car looks better
6) your car is rare to see on the street

there you go, i would of got the cl over the a4 too.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Why does the Audi have to 'suck' for you to enjoy your CL? Boh cars have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither car 'sucks'. Audi has had it's share of electrical problems but exterior/interior build quality is good. I think the coil failures the 1.8T's had has been resolved tho. The CL has a strong reliable motor and reliable electronics, but weak auto tranny. The CL is faster, much faster, than the 1.8t. However, because the A4 engine was designed to be turbo charged, it runs with lower compression, and should ready to handle future aftermarket FI installations more easily. It can be made fast w/ a chip, bigger turbo, etc.

Try to respect other people's rides and realize that enthusiasm for your own car doesn't automatically mean everything else has to 'suck'. You bought a sweet car, enjoy it.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ferrari528
Nothing related to the Jetta.

Reliability is better than the CL-S or TL-S for 03+.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Banned

1) Defintely, but spend 500 for a chip, and its not.
2) That's true, but VW's engines are also very reliable. The 1.8 has been out for years, and its been on the top ten list for best engines for a few years now. That has to say something.
3) Audi's cost more because they are german, its not because of the name. We could say Acuras cost more for the name because the CL is just a Accord.
4) The 2002+ A4 has more back seat room, more trunk space compared to the CL. Please check your info before posting.
5) Looks are very opinion based. But the A4 is much nicer looking.
6) CL's are rare defintely. But there is a reason for that.

Originally posted by acuraman32cl
1) your car is much, much faster
2) honda engines are much much more reliable then vw, my uncle who has a A6, and my neighbor that has the A6 4.2T both want to change cars cause repairs even after a year are brutal
3) audis cost more because of the name
4) you have more trunk space, more back seat space too. ive been in a 2000 A4 2.8t, and the backseat is small compared to the cl, no foot room
5) your car looks better
6) your car is rare to see on the street

there you go, i would of got the cl over the a4 too.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by zeroday
Why does the Audi have to 'suck' for you to enjoy your CL? Boh cars have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither car 'sucks'. Audi has had it's share of electrical problems but exterior/interior build quality is good. I think the coil failures the 1.8T's had has been resolved tho. The CL has a strong reliable motor and reliable electronics, but weak auto tranny. The CL is faster, much faster, than the 1.8t. However, because the A4 engine was designed to be turbo charged, it runs with lower compression, and should ready to handle future aftermarket FI installations more easily. It can be made fast w/ a chip, bigger turbo, etc.

Try to respect other people's rides and realize that enthusiasm for your own car doesn't automatically mean everything else has to 'suck'. You bought a sweet car, enjoy it.
Good reply Zero. I respect that! :P
Old 05-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Lone CL-P Owner

Originally posted by SilverBullet
1) Defintely, but spend 500 for a chip, and its not.
2) That's true, but VW's engines are also very reliable. The 1.8 has been out for years, and its been on the top ten list for best engines for a few years now. That has to say something.
3) Audi's cost more because they are german, its not because of the name. We could say Acuras cost more for the name because the CL is just a Accord.
4) The 2002+ A4 has more back seat room, more trunk space compared to the CL. Please check your info before posting.
5) Looks are very opinion based. But the A4 is much nicer looking.
6) CL's are rare defintely. But there is a reason for that.
your right, but hey she wanted to feel better about her purchase, so i hope i did. audis are really nice cars, i love them. and is that true about the new a4s with more room?? its head to imagine for me because the a4 is just a smaller car alltogether. but hey its possible. i guess its like thinking that the infiniti q45 has more trunk space because it is a big car when really i could barely fit 3 golf bags in it. (2 were carry bags too, the really small and thin ones.) go figure. how much more hp can u get from a new chip?
Old 05-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Blown LS6!!

Is it possible to determine reliability if a car has only been out 1 year??
Old 05-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Why are you all comparing a 2 door to a 4 door?? Why not compare the A4 to a TL??
Old 05-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ComptechType-S
Why are you all comparing a 2 door to a 4 door?? Why not compare the A4 to a TL??
what is the name of this website again?:P
Old 05-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Subie Dubie

Bunnie, stock to stock there is no comparison. The A4 is a dog. You made the right choice I hope you feel better
Old 05-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

i thought we were discussing audi, not vw....does vw Make audi???
Old 05-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't think speed is the only thing bunnie cares about.

I looked into the A4 1.8T when I was shopping around for my TL-S. I equipped both to nearly the same prices, and Audi wanted an extra 100 bucks per month. What the fuck? I told the guy to buzz off and left the dealership. He wasn't even about to offer a test drive (I'm 21).

Acura was the opposite. Very courteous, and friendly, and offered a test drive right away. After all, if I'm gonna buy a car, I would want to see how it drives. I ain't buy a car I can't test drive. Sat down for a couple of hours and compared everything. Size, speed, dollar/value ratio, quality, etc, etc. TL-S came out on top every time. There was no question about it.

ComptechType-S --

I think A4 vs. CL is a legitimate comparison, since CL and TL are basically the same car except for the exterior design and a few other minor things. And A4 vs. TL, TL = CL, thus A4 vs. CL sounds good to me. Besides, the rear seat room on the A4 is only as good as the CL, anyway.

My brother also looked into the A4 vs. BMW 3-series, and Saab 9-3. He's going with the 9-3. Audi is way overpriced for what they have to offer.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Race Director

keep in mind i sold my CL-S for a new A4...

engine
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/Mic...1004&siteid=26 enough said

Coil Packs
fixed for 03 models

Interior:
MUCH higher quality, i can honestly say the car is solid....sit in one and close the door..and just listen

Price:

My A4 was 100 dollars cheaper than my CL-S and I got a car made in Germany, with AWD, and quality parts.

Jetta with 4-rings??? you have NOT sat or driven an A4. I think the cl-s shares WAY MORE stuff with the acord than the A4 shares with ANY vw

Having said all that, I used to own a CL-S com sold it for an 2003 A4. My mom got an A4 while i had the CL-S, i drive both cars for a few good weeks, compared EVERYTHING, and i bought the A4 based on my conclusion.

Although, I still love the CL-S, and I dont think you can go wrong with either car...its honestly a totally different feel.

Looks wise, i liked MY cl-s more than the stock A4, but once im finished with my A4, it will IMO look MUCH better than MY cl-s.

AWD is a plus on the snow....add some snowtires and your a beast

I also have the choice of over 6 bodykits to chose from.

Speed?
CL-S>A4
No way of getting around it without a chip, but imho, stock for stock, the advantages of the A4 outweigh the disadvantages.

But again, I think that you cant go wrong with either car.

Now, post some pics of yourself if your female...so we can tell you which car suits you better.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Seattle Cl-S
Is it possible to determine reliability if a car has only been out 1 year??
It's been out since 02. And its been very reliable except for the coil packs which have been resolved.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by acuraman32cl
your right, but hey she wanted to feel better about her purchase, so i hope i did. audis are really nice cars, i love them. and is that true about the new a4s with more room?? its head to imagine for me because the a4 is just a smaller car alltogether. but hey its possible. i guess its like thinking that the infiniti q45 has more trunk space because it is a big car when really i could barely fit 3 golf bags in it. (2 were carry bags too, the really small and thin ones.) go figure. how much more hp can u get from a new chip?
About 40hp and 60+ tq
Old 05-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

Interior, agreed..much better.

Price, my payments dropped 100 bucks a month compared to my CL-S.

Originally posted by amirsafdari

engine
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/Mic...=1004&srtype=1 does anyone see the 3.2 Acura engine there??? i dont...whats going on

Coil Packs
fixed for 03 models

Interior:
MUCH higher quality, i can honestly say the car is solid....sit in one and close the door..and just listen

Price:

My A4 was 100 dollars cheaper than my CL-S and I got a car made in Germany, with AWD, and quality parts.

Jetta with 4-rings??? you have NOT sat or driven an A4. I think the cl-s shares WAY MORE stuff with the acord than the A4 shares with ANY vw

Having said all that, I used to own a CL-S com sold it for an 2003 A4. My mom got an A4 while i had the CL-S, i drive both cars for a few good weeks, compared EVERYTHING, and i bought the A4 based on my conclusion.

Although, I still love the CL-S, and I dont think you can go wrong with either car...its honestly a totally different feel.

Looks wise, i liked MY cl-s more than the stock A4, but once im finished with my A4, it will IMO look MUCH better than MY cl-s.

AWD is a plus on the snow....add some snowtires and your a beast

I also have the choice of over 6 bodykits to chose from.

Speed?
CL-S>A4
No way of getting around it without a chip, but imho, stock for stock, the advantages of the A4 outweigh the disadvantages.

But again, I think that you cant go wrong with either car.

Now, post some pics of yourself if your female...so we can tell you which car suits you better.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Instructor

when I was car shopping I considered the audi before I got my cls. I liked the audi's all wheel drive, but the cls's with l slip is almost as good imho for most practical needs.

I had a 90 eagle talon awd turbo back in the day. 2.0 turbo made 195 horses.

You can't compare cubic litres to turbo...the low end tq makes all the diff in the world.

Close comparison and I agree that you can't go wrong with either, but I think I made the right decision with my 03 6sp/nav cls
Old 05-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

engine
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/Mic...1004&siteid=26 enough said

The engine on the VW/A4 may have won the top 10, but I know for a fact that Ward's Auto tested the J32A2 (Read: Engine in the CL-S/TL-S) in 2001. It didn't win a top 10, but it made it as a runner up. May not be quite as impressive as winning top 10, but if Ward's Auto considered it, thats still not too bad. (That places it within the top 20 or so I guess)

The new J30A4 engine (In the US Honda Accords) also won a top 10 this year and is not too much different than the J32A2 (utilizes many of the horsepower increasing "features" of the J32A2 like similar intake manifolds and an increased compression ratio).

In that respect, I'd like to think the J32A2 is still a pretty good engine. After all, in the same year (2001) that the Nissan 3.5L VQ Engine was only producing 227hp/217 ft-lbs. the Honda 3.2L J32A2 Engine was producing 260hp/232 ft-lbs. ... Just my opinion.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Audi is a soild machine, and is really fun to drive. Turbos are really easy to tune also. I see no negitives about having an audi.

Bottom line, its GERMAN. And there are reasons why you see soo many on the roads, cuz people love them.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Manny Tranny

Bunnie, simple answer, but before I tell you why here's my story. I was waiting for the A4 coupe to come out but I listened to my friend tell my his A4 1.8 Quatro was not all he thought it was going to be. He said the interior is flawless (which i agree). But where Audi falls apart is cost to repair. He had a few damaged wheels because he hit a pot hole. Ching ching, $800 later he got his wheels fixed. He also complained there's no power in the lower band of the tach. It's only after the turbo kicks in, and a long after, you feel the power.

Here's why I went with a CL-S 6 sp.

CL-S - more car, less money feature for feature and very few on the road (not an every day car). Less to maintain overall, less problems in the long run... and best of all, it will kick ass on the line with an A4!
Old 05-10-2003, 06:08 PM

Nothing related to the Jetta.

nothing related to the jetta???? ever heard of the 1.8t jetta? same exact engine thats in the 1.8t audi.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Race Director

nothing related to the jetta???? ever heard of the 1.8t jetta? same exact engine thats in the 1.8t audi.
haha

obviuosly the engine is similar...i think he knew that
Old 05-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by mr. big
i thought we were discussing audi, not vw....does vw Make audi???
Kind of. It's a german incest thang. VW, Audi, Porsche. I've never really been sure of the exact connections between the three companys, but the three are linked somehow.

Honda is to VW as Acura is to Audi.

Audi, is the vw luxury division.

I like my old veedubs, and I'd love to own a porsche, but I just don't get the audi thing
Old 05-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Race Director

vw audi porsche lambo

all the same shit

and with the direction vw is going in, there wont really be an econo car coming from any of these companies...even though vdub is strugglin with sales right now
Old 05-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

vw audi porsche lambo (atleast i think lambo)
VW does not own Porsche but they do own Lamborgini (sp?). They made an agreement to share parts with the Touareg and Cayenne.

But VW does own Audi. It's like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura etc..

After all, in the same year (2001) that the Nissan 3.5L VQ Engine was only producing 227hp/217 ft-lbs. the Honda 3.2L J32A2 Engine was producing 260hp/232 ft-lbs
It was the 3.0L VQ, not the 3.5L VQ that produced 227hp during that year. The least hp the 3.5L VQ ever produced was 240hp (Pathfinder/Altima)

Coil Packs
fixed for 03 models
Not necessarily. My friend's '03 GTI 1.8T had to have it's coil packs replaced.

Also, my neighbor was running an APR chip in his Jetta 1.8T. He was running it for almost a year and a half. Recently blew his turbo and had some minor engine damage. Not covered under warranty. I wouldn't trust saying chipping the 1.8T as a viable long-term alternative.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Busy Living

I couldn't get over the red interior lights on the A4.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by cusdaddy
VW does not own Porsche but they do own Lamborgini (sp?). They made an agreement to share parts with the Touareg and Cayenne.

But VW does own Audi. It's like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura etc..

oh ok got it
for some reason i always thought porsche was in the fleet too
Old 05-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
vw audi porsche lambo

all the same shit
Amir, w/o doing further research, I'd have to agree (tho' I didn't know that vw/audi bought out lambo, cool).

I've always thought that Porsche was still privately owned by the Porsche family (Peter and Wolfgang ??). Porsche was always done projects w/ VW (porsche 914, Cayenne/Tourgea(spelling?)), but I've never looked into how far the "partnership" went (financially and otherwise).

I betcha gavriil would be able to 'splain it all to us

edit: That whole coil pack thing has pissed off alot of the diehard (watercooled) volkswagen people.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
oh ok got it
for some reason i always thought porsche was in the fleet too
they are or were affiliated somehow.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by mattg
they are or were affiliated somehow.
Porsche is currently independent, but the Cayenne was jointly developed with Volkswagen's Touareg. The main reason for the Cayenne to begin with was so that Porsche could stay independent.....there is just so many pricey Sports cars you can sell in volume.

Volkswagen owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:09 AM
I love my G sedan

Many people say Audi has the best interior, in my eyes Audi has one of the ugliest interiors.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
Many people say Audi has the best interior, in my eyes Audi has one of the ugliest interiors.
You're one of the few. All the car mags love the interior design of Audis. Everyone who was ever in our '00 A4 1.8T commented on the great interior, even friends who have other Honda products and BMWs. The red lighting was too cool.

Really like our CL-S, though. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, they're really completely different cars, from functionality to personality. Love 'em both.

To Bunnie, in response to your original question, just enjoy your CL and quit worrying about it! :P
Old 05-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Advanced

It is definitely not!!
Old 05-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Actually, VW does NOT own Audi. It's a partnership, not a subsidiary. But they do share parts, and it may look like Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus, but it's not.

VW/Audi own Lamborghini and Bugatti. You bet your sweet ass they know what they are doing when it comes to engineering.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:19 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
a jetta with 4 circles on it...

Isnt it the Passat that shares most of its parts with the A4? Pretty I remember this from when the passat had the 2001.5 refresh.

Quick Reply: 2003 Acura CL vs. 2003 Audi A4