2 more car reviews: 330i & G35 Part deux

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2 more car reviews: 330i & G35 Part deux

Yesterday I decided to blow the dust off the Infiniti and BMW business cards to once again take out these two cars for another test drive. Last time I bought a car I rushed in and picked the first thing I liked. This time I am determined to really test alot of cars and make a more sound decision.

G35 - Car
The interior of this car did not bother me as much this time as last time. I think I am growing accustomed to it although I still think the Navi controls are sub par. The G35 easily has the nicest seats next to the Lexus es300. I could sleep in those seats......then again that's not necessarily a great thing considering I sometimes don't like seats overly comfortable since I travel long distances sometimes and I it will not help fatique. The G35's powerplant never gets boring although I still feel it's brakes are way too sensitive. Since the demo vehicle had some miles on it, I was able to be even a little more aggressive. The car felt confident and the acceleration seemed even punchier. What the G35 does very well is turn heads. I have to admit that this car is dead sexy in black. One observation I will make is that the steering did not feel as well connected as I would want it to be for what maneuvers and speeds I would push in that car.

G35 - Price
Just not there yet. Unfortunately Infiniti is still not offering reasonable prices on leases $619 a month for 39 months w/ 2500 down. And that's for a non-navi premium package six speed. Like I told the Infiniti salesman: It's a 34K car, and I can get alot more car for $619 a month.

G35 - Service
No included maintenance although warranty does go to 60K.

BMW - Car
I would have to say that my opinion of the 330i have always been consistent if anything. This is a nice car. While some may say 'overpriced' and 'everyone has one' I think that the fact that both Acura and Infiniti admit to blatantly trying to copy certain elements of the 3 Series that's proof enough to me that this car is a leader, not a follower. The car I tested did not have the Performance Package (although I did want one since i've seen it in person in Detroit and liked it.) The run flat tires is a nice option since I drive a ton and the car felt capable and power constantly on tap. I think I preferred the linear acceleration over the Vtech harshness of the Honda motors. As far as handling and driver feel the 3 series is so the driving enthusiasts car w/ great handling and road feel. I can only imagine the enhancements made by the performance package only (and hopefully) bringing the car even closer to it's big brother's numbers both in the straitaway and slalom. The interior feels a little bland, let's say, next to the TSX or the G35. I found myself looking for more guages in a somewhat quiet interior.

BMW - Price
Very negotiable. More than ever BMW was willing to talk real numbers on their cars. More car for your money is the game in lease negotiation.

BMW - Service
Includes brakes, all services ( i believe for length of warranty (50K) or 3 years not sure.

If I had to choose right now between these two I'd take the 330 because it's not a first year run car, it's negotiable, it has a predictable and good resale value and the maintenance helps. The G35 has not settled long enough in the market. I want to see how that car does in the next year.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:52 AM
A-CL Official BMW Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review. I love my 330i. By the way, the warranty includes full services for 4yrs/50k miles
Old 04-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good reviews, Ern.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very fair; thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

The 330 is just a great car period, best in class.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

Re: 2 more car reviews: 330i & G35 Part deux

You should go test drive the 3.0 Audi A4. You want to drive a car that has a good interior, and also handles just as good as the BMW, for a better price, you just need to check it out!

Originally posted by eclipse23
Yesterday I decided to blow the dust off the Infiniti and BMW business cards to once again take out these two cars for another test drive. Last time I bought a car I rushed in and picked the first thing I liked. This time I am determined to really test alot of cars and make a more sound decision.

G35 - Car
The interior of this car did not bother me as much this time as last time. I think I am growing accustomed to it although I still think the Navi controls are sub par. The G35 easily has the nicest seats next to the Lexus es300. I could sleep in those seats......then again that's not necessarily a great thing considering I sometimes don't like seats overly comfortable since I travel long distances sometimes and I it will not help fatique. The G35's powerplant never gets boring although I still feel it's brakes are way too sensitive. Since the demo vehicle had some miles on it, I was able to be even a little more aggressive. The car felt confident and the acceleration seemed even punchier. What the G35 does very well is turn heads. I have to admit that this car is dead sexy in black. One observation I will make is that the steering did not feel as well connected as I would want it to be for what maneuvers and speeds I would push in that car.

G35 - Price
Just not there yet. Unfortunately Infiniti is still not offering reasonable prices on leases $619 a month for 39 months w/ 2500 down. And that's for a non-navi premium package six speed. Like I told the Infiniti salesman: It's a 34K car, and I can get alot more car for $619 a month.

G35 - Service
No included maintenance although warranty does go to 60K.

BMW - Car
I would have to say that my opinion of the 330i have always been consistent if anything. This is a nice car. While some may say 'overpriced' and 'everyone has one' I think that the fact that both Acura and Infiniti admit to blatantly trying to copy certain elements of the 3 Series that's proof enough to me that this car is a leader, not a follower. The car I tested did not have the Performance Package (although I did want one since i've seen it in person in Detroit and liked it.) The run flat tires is a nice option since I drive a ton and the car felt capable and power constantly on tap. I think I preferred the linear acceleration over the Vtech harshness of the Honda motors. As far as handling and driver feel the 3 series is so the driving enthusiasts car w/ great handling and road feel. I can only imagine the enhancements made by the performance package only (and hopefully) bringing the car even closer to it's big brother's numbers both in the straitaway and slalom. The interior feels a little bland, let's say, next to the TSX or the G35. I found myself looking for more guages in a somewhat quiet interior.

BMW - Price
Very negotiable. More than ever BMW was willing to talk real numbers on their cars. More car for your money is the game in lease negotiation.

BMW - Service
Includes brakes, all services ( i believe for length of warranty (50K) or 3 years not sure.

If I had to choose right now between these two I'd take the 330 because it's not a first year run car, it's negotiable, it has a predictable and good resale value and the maintenance helps. The G35 has not settled long enough in the market. I want to see how that car does in the next year.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

i agree about the 3series interior, blandest of all german cars including volkswagen. the pp package wasn't impressive inside either, they had what seemed to be a vinyl wallpaper carbon fiber trim with a large checker pattern(could almost play checkers on it), most rediculous thing i've ever seen. the accord coupe has carbon fiber trim way beyond this. The seats weren't great looking either in the pp package. exterior is good to go though.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by heyitsme
i agree about the 3series interior, blandest of all german cars including volkswagen. the pp package wasn't impressive inside either, they had what seemed to be a vinyl wallpaper carbon fiber trim with a large checker pattern(could almost play checkers on it), most rediculous thing i've ever seen. the accord coupe has carbon fiber trim way beyond this. The seats weren't great looking either in the pp package. exterior is good to go though.
Not all German cars. Audi holds the market to the best interior design to any car on the road. It has been rated by many that way.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SilverBullet
Not all German cars. Audi holds the market to the best interior design to any car on the road. It has been rated by many that way.
The Audi A4 is a really nice car just too underpowered for me. The interior was very nice though I have to say. It's hard to go from the CLS to a slower car.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eclipse23
The Audi A4 is a really nice car just too underpowered for me. The interior was very nice though I have to say. It's hard to go from the CLS to a slower car.
Your right, it is hard. But tell you what, its well worth it after having mine for 2 months. No more worry on tranny problems.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Get the M3!!!!

Old 04-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by SilverBullet
not sure about design, maybe quality.

i'm partial to vw's new designs.

Old 04-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i'm partial to vw's new designs.[/B]
VW and Audi are under the same Umbrella......VAG.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:42 PM
Drifting

great review
Old 04-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

I agree that the 330i is a nice car but can you get it for about the same price as the g35?? I'm in the market for a new car and thier both on my list.

The g35c 6spd will cost around 34k with probably no discount and the 330i last time i looked was just a lil over 40k (with similar features Inifnity have).. I'm not sure how much lower dealer would come off that price.

But if they where both the same price I would take the 330 over the g35 but for 6-7k difference I might choose the g35c.

Can you give me your opinion on how the g35c interior compared to the 330?
which looks classier?
quality?
comfort?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by spooon3
Can you give me your opinion on how the g35c interior compared to the 330?
which looks classier?
quality?
comfort?
Neither of their interiors are that great honestly, but if I had to choose it would be the 330. The G35s interior is not my cup of tea, just feels too cheap and that silver center console looks like shit.