'07 TL vs '07 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 TL vs '07 TSX

I apologize if this has been done, but the search engine doesn't seem to like short searches (TL vs TSX).

I'm curious what the big difference between the two cars. From looking at the website and brochure, as well as driving them, it seems that the upgrade to the TL gets:

- slightly more room inside, but not much (measurements are similar)
- more power (258 vs 202) and acceleration
- better radio / sound system

What else am I missing? The upgrade to the TL for $5k doesn't seem like a lot?

I'd love an upscale car, but I'm still struggling with the differences between the TL and TSX and a V6 Accord. I have an 04 Accord V6 now that I like a lot, and would love to grab an Acura and give the Accord to my wife.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
for starters, if you wanted to, you can only get the manual in the TSX. if you wanted a manual tranny in the TL you would have to get the Type-S. of course, the S model is a totally different animal.
i believe the residuals for the TSX are slightly better. you can fold down the rear seat in the tsx and there is front adjustable lumbar support. slightly better fuel economy and it is about 400lb's lighter than the TL.

all that being said, i still got the TL and luv it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by sw001
I apologize if this has been done, but the search engine doesn't seem to like short searches (TL vs TSX).

I'm curious what the big difference between the two cars.
The TSX 6M has a very responsive "feel" when driving it which the 5A TSX and 5A TL do not have. The TSX feels lighter on its feet than the TL, but also feels slower than the TL. The TL is very quiet inside. The exterior dimensions of the TSX put it in a smaller class than the TL, and the interior of the TL seems larger and more open than the measurements objectively indicate. Subjectively, the TL exterior is more sculptured and noteworthy, while the TSX is plain.
The TSX 6M is the one I would get for canyon carving and pure in-town city driving, but the TL is preferable for cruising, freeway commuting and carrying 2 or more passengers. My wife wanted an auto transmission and I did not like the TSX 5A or other alternatives as much as the TL.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered but harmless

I'd love an upscale car, but I'm still struggling with the differences between the TL and TSX and a V6 Accord. I have an 04 Accord V6 now that I like a lot, and would love to grab an Acura and give the Accord to my wife.
FYI, the TSX is the Honda Accord sold in Europe and Asia.
The TL is an US Accord chassis with upgraded engine, significant suspension tuning (for higher performance), upgraded and soundproofed interior and unique body panels.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
for starters, if you wanted to, you can only get the manual in the TSX. if you wanted a manual tranny in the TL you would have to get the Type-S. of course, the S model is a totally different animal.
i believe the residuals for the TSX are slightly better. you can fold down the rear seat in the tsx and there is front adjustable lumbar support. slightly better fuel economy and it is about 400lb's lighter than the TL.

TSX also offers auto
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
TSX - Faster around corners/turns

TL - Faster on straightway
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
have a TSX and had a 07 tl loaner for 10 days when my 01 TL was in the shop. I would pay the 5k more and get the TL. The 4cyl does not have enough power and the thing that pisses me off the most about the TSX is the doors evertime u close them they sound like a tin cup.

But if it was basic features and didnt care about speed nor size get the TSX.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:47 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to me, the TL felt a lot bigger inside than the TSX. the measurements don't make it seem that much of a difference, but it was noticeable to me.

i know the interior and exterior looks are subjective, but i think the TL looks better in and out than the TSX. it's a handsome car, and does make my TSX look a little bland, which is saying a lot because i think the TSX is one of the best looking sedans on the road.

there's definitely a lot more oomph with the TL and you can really feel the difference in the engine size. but to me, it's not as fun to drive as the TSX, which after two years, i'm still enjoying its drive and nimble handling.

the TSX does have folding rear seats, which is a convenience, even though i never thought i'd really use it. it's definitely good to have when you need it.

but i think you need to really drive both cars, and see what's more important to you. i'm single and live alone. 80% of the time, i'm alone in the car. otherwise, it's usually just my gf in the car with me. so i didn't really need a bigger car. the TL was my first choice when i got to the dealership, but fell in love with the TSX and thought it was a better fit for me. plus, as you said, it's cheaper and i really didn't need to spend another $5k.

now, if i was married and had or will have a family, i'll probably prefer the TL, though i'd personally look to ante up for the type-s. (but if i was gonna do that, i'd rather look into the new g35...it's a vicious cycle!)

good luck!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 AM
9th Gear

Thanks all. I drove both briefly this weekend, though didn't get either on the highway (wasn't one convenient). The TL really felt like my Accord, but $10k more. The TSX felt a bit lighter and quicker, though the acceleration wasn't as good. I was surprised at how big the inside of the TSX seemed, though maybe the TL does feel a lot bigger. I have two kids, so size in the back matters.

I think the biggest problem for me with the TL though, is the price tag gets so close to the G35x with similar features, and the G35x is a lot quicker, AWD, and has extra stuff. The TSX sits at a great price point it seems.

I do like the TL looks a bit better. Hard choice!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Racer

Two Kids...Hmmm...sounds like you need the extra room (not to mention $s) but like the TSX price point....might consider the V-6 Accord...has room, v-6, only 22 lbs torque less than TL, uses regular gas, some mags put it as quick as the TL, holds resale a hair better....just a thought...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:43 AM
9th Gear

Two Kids...Hmmm...sounds like you need the extra room (not to mention $s) but like the TSX price point....might consider the V-6 Accord...has room, v-6, only 22 lbs torque less than TL, uses regular gas, some mags put it as quick as the TL, holds resale a hair better....just a thought...
I have an '04 Accord V6. It is a nice car, but I wanted some different. The Accord is nice, but I never think of it as attractive or fun to drive. It is just functional. Both the TSX and TL look a lot nicer, which probably shouldn't matter.

I also would like the bluetooth functionality, auxillary inputs, and a quieter overall ride. While I didn't get the TL or TSX on the highway, they both should be quieter then an Accord?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Race Director

This is a TL vs. TSX thread, but the new 2007 G35 sedan beats them both. The G35 even unfortunately beats the TL-S in both price and performance. I would get the new G35 if I were you. G35 has a new bodystyle, better interior now, has 306 hp, and is only $3K more than a loaded TSX and is cheaper well the regular G35 is than a TL. The G35x I think starts at almost $34K, which is still cheaper than the TL-S and has AWD vs FWD.

Last edited by 04EuroAccordTsx; 03-14-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd go TL b/c of the extra power and room, but both are great cars. The main question is....do you want a 4-cylinder or a 6?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Racer

I have an '04 Accord V6. It is a nice car, but I wanted some different. The Accord is nice, but I never think of it as attractive or fun to drive. It is just functional. Both the TSX and TL look a lot nicer, which probably shouldn't matter.

I also would like the bluetooth functionality, auxillary inputs, and a quieter overall ride. While I didn't get the TL or TSX on the highway, they both should be quieter then an Accord?
Sounds like TL as has room and quieter...I agree with SG81 above..
Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
I'd go TL b/c of the extra power and room, but both are great cars. The main question is....do you want a 4-cylinder or a 6?
I never realized the interior dimensions where similiar... so the engine is really what separates the two...

OF course there are lots of little things here and there, but deciding what engine you want (and what price you want to pay) usually drives the ulimate decision.

When I was shopping the TSX wasn't available, so my decision was between the RSX and CLS (and to a lesser extent the accord coupe). If I was going to buy an acura today, I think I'd probably choose the TSX over TL due to it's cost, better fuel ecomony and lighter weight (it's a more "tossable" car).
Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster

When I was shopping the TSX wasn't available, so my decision was between the RSX and CLS (and to a lesser extent the accord coupe).
oh man, did you make the right choice Greenie
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 AM
9th Gear

I never realized the interior dimensions where similiar... so the engine is really what separates the two...
I was surprised as well, as I really thought the TL was bigger. But I compared the dimensions on Edmunds, and was shocked at how big the TSX interior seemed for its size. They are pretty close.

I love the V6 in the Accord now. Its quick, and since I do a lot of highway driving, it'd be nice to have the V6 to accelerate more. Then again, rarely do I wind the engine up, so the TSX is probably fine.

This is a TL vs. TSX thread, but the new 2007 G35 sedan beats them both. The G35 even unfortunately beats the TL-S in both price and performance. I would get the new G35 if I were you. G35 has a new bodystyle, better interior now, has 306 hp, and is only $3K more than a loaded TSX and is cheaper well the regular G35 is than a TL. The G35x I think starts at almost $34K, which is still cheaper than the TL-S and has AWD vs FWD.
Its not just $3k more. To get the same features, you really have to add Infiniti's premium package (for blue tooth, the same climate, etc.). You're look at the G35x being around $36.8k. That's $7k-8k more then the TSX. The TSX also gets much better gas mileage, which I think matters to me.

I do think that the G35x is a better car, but its a lot more. I'm not sure I want to pay that premium. The TL vs the G35 is harder, as the numbers are closer.

The TSX just sits at a really nice price point it appears. Is the G35x worth the $8k more, or the TL worth the $5k more? Still debating.

Any ideas on which car gets the better dealer deals? Will Infiniti give me a much better deal then Acura, or is the TL harder to negotiate on then the TSX, etc.?

Thanks again all!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Race Director

If you really want to save money just get the TSX, I enjoy mine and you get everything loaded for less than $30K. Everyone on AZ knows that I would trade my TSX in for a G35 in a heartbeat, but I just don't have money to do that right now.

I wouldn't consider the TL because it's also FWD, not Made in Japan, it's more common on the road than the TSX, and it's almost at the end of it's life cycle with a new 4th generation bodystyle coming out in 2009.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
9th Gear

One other question, what's the best site for acceleration type numbers? I'm curious exactly how quick my 04 V6 Accord is, compared to the TL and TSX for example.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Race Director

Of course TL is faster than the 04 Accord V6 and the 04 Accord V6 is faster than a TSX.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Of course TL is faster than the 04 Accord V6 and the 04 Accord V6 is faster than a TSX.
we lose.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I know the relative differences, but I've seen numbers all over the place for the Accord. I think Edmunds (Inside Line) posts a 2003 Accord V6 0-60 at 7.0 seconds. That isn't much faster then the TSX. That doesn't seem right though, which is why I asked what a good source might be.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Registered but harmless

I know the relative differences, but I've seen numbers all over the place for the Accord. I think Edmunds (Inside Line) posts a 2003 Accord V6 0-60 at 7.0 seconds. That isn't much faster then the TSX. That doesn't seem right though, which is why I asked what a good source might be.
Car & Driver and Motor Trend both have test summaries in the back of their magazines, so you may try their websites to see about info for the 2003 Accord as well as current #s on TSX and TL. C&D does comparisons every couple of years involving the Accord 4-cyl as well as the 6-cyl.
FWIW, the 2004-2005 TSX ran between 7.2 and 7.7 in 6M form on 0-60 for tests by C&D and Autoweek; the 2004-2005 TLs were running between 5.8 (manual) and mid 6s (auto) on C&D and Motor Trend. I think Consumer Reports had the 2005 TSX 5A in the high 8's or low 9s on 0-60 (and Consumer Reports is the most conservative; I don't think it drops clutches at 4K+ RPM).
Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

"I wouldn't consider the TL because it's also FWD, not Made in Japan, it's more common on the road than the TSX, and it's almost at the end of it's life cycle with a new 4th generation bodystyle coming out in 2009"

1. the TSX is about to change body styles also.
2. the Japan vs USA quality issue is a farse. My 06 TSX that I traded for an 07 Tl- S was in the shop 4 times durring the 15 months I owned it for various rattles and problems.
3. The big difference for me was when I stepped on the gas the TSX had nothing. It drove me crazy. The engine makes the car feel like a Civic. You will miss the power from your Accord if you buy the TSX. The rear room of the TL is much larger than the TSX. My daughter has told me this often since I traded. Ask the dealership if you can take the TSX home for the day to try it out. good luck
Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by parks31
"I wouldn't consider the TL because it's also FWD, not Made in Japan, it's more common on the road than the TSX, and it's almost at the end of it's life cycle with a new 4th generation bodystyle coming out in 2009"

1. the TSX is about to change body styles also.
2. the Japan vs USA quality issue is a farse. My 06 TSX that I traded for an 07 Tl- S was in the shop 4 times durring the 15 months I owned it for various rattles and problems.
3. The big difference for me was when I stepped on the gas the TSX had nothing. It drove me crazy. The engine makes the car feel like a Civic. You will miss the power from your Accord if you buy the TSX. The rear room of the TL is much larger than the TSX. My daughter has told me this often since I traded. Ask the dealership if you can take the TSX home for the day to try it out. good luck
Well, again if I were you sw001 I'd look at the G35 because yes both the current TL and TSX will be both changing bodystyles soon, whereas the G35 is all new 2nd gen. Or if you want to save money look at the new Altima or wait for the 8th gen Accord to come out this fall 2007.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
All 4 cars in this thread, TL, TSX, Accord, G35, are all good, but my recommendation for him would be to drop the TSX and decide between the TL, Accord and G35. i say this because his kids are gonna grow up, of the TL has what he want, big interior, power, etc, the accord has the same but is cheaper in price and less refined. The G35 is a car for it's value, but has a higher price tag, and also will have many issues because of the 1st year in the 2nd gen body style. Right now, I am not saying pick this inly otherwise I kill you, but first make a list with what you wants and needs are, price range, opinions and thoughts on forward outlook (trade in car in 2 yrs, keep until it dies, etc). Then look at all 4 cars and see what fits your needs, wnats and budget. Just on a side note, measurements do not matter, it depends on how it looks, feels and how comfortable it is for the interior. Sometimes I have to cram either all my friends in my TL or just take the family somewhere, and the TL does just right. My dad is 6FT and he can sit in the back comfortably while my mom 5.2 feet stils in the front. My bro sits beside my dad in the back (5. 10 feet) and is comfy while I drive (5 .11) If I had the TSX id oubt it would have worked with all of us being comgy listening to 5.1 audio just as i said before, see what you need and want and pick the one that best fits the bill.

(I need my own sparknotes creator for my lectures )

Why do I always start the 2nd page ......
Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Racer

Parks31 in post#24 has it about right...have had more shop time on my TSX than our 04 v-6 accord...only one shop time on Accord...(not counting normal service) fit and finish fine on Accord..

Also I drive the TSX solo...when you add three people and stuff you will notice the low torque...V-6 better for extra people and stuff...

As for room, TL wins, ...per Acura TL has 7 cubic feet more passanger space..that is a lot and I put the drivers seat back in the TSX and no one sits/can sit behind me...not so in the Accord/TL..If I was carrying family I would not have gotten the TSX....

As for times, one of the rags (have it here somewhere) with the times in the back has the TL and Accord A/T both in high 14s for the qtr and TSX was at 16.....07 TL with new A/T should be a little quicker...RL is around 15.5...

Drive them both a lot..with people inside...then sit back, drink a beer, wine or ice tea and pick...or....wait....you have wheels now....good luck...
Old 03-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Racer

SW001, any head way?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Texas
SW001, any head way?
I'm actually going to test drive them with my wife this weekend (TSX, TL, G35). With the kids, its harder to get out, but they'll be at their aunt and uncles for the day.

I also may look into the Acura RDX, since it supposedly drives really well.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by ggesq

you are so wrong..........lmao.

TSX offers 5AT as well as 6MT while the TL offers 5AT as well as 6MT. Many TL drivers do have 6MT. The type S also offers both trannies....
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Racer

sorry, no 07 TL 6sp standard just A/T...TL-S has the choice of A/T or 6sp......