00 & up S4's

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
00 & up S4's

I am interested in maybe getting an S4 in the near future, most likely a 00 model, maybe an 01 if its a good price. i seen afew on autotrader for 24k and below. anybody have any experience with this car? are they all bi-turbo, or certain ones? how is the ride, the interior, anything u can tell me about it. this has always been the car i wanted and now that the prices are starting to get down to my range, im thinking about getting one,. anyone know if there are any mechanical issues i need to be aware of. i know audi's are pretty reliable. also, i have the chance to take over payments on my bosse's 02 A6, and i love that car also, but the S4 is sweeter. any info is appreciated. thanks peoples..
Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
blxmjx had a sweet one in smurf blue, wish he didn't get rid of that car. I love them sweet cars
Old 10-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, im really wanting one. i've been researching them all day, thats y i had to edit some stuff from the first post, i wasnt sure what years they made s4's. my friend's friend has one in silver, slammed on original rims with a chip and turbo upgrade. i swear that fawkin thing flies. the A6 is nice too, but its outdated and low on power. plus i love the look of the S.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 to '02 have a TT (biturbo).
Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 PM
I NEED MONEY!

I was looking @ a comparision of the C55AMG and S4:

- S4 is heavier than C55 AMG
- S4 is slower than C55 AMG
- S4 has worse gas miles than C55 AMG
- S4 is a V6, C55 AMG is a V8
- S4 is just 3K less than the C55 AMG
- S4 has less feature than the C55 AMG

````C55 AMG is Better than the S4````
Old 10-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by VeeralS05

You cant compare a brand new c55 to a 00-02 S4.

00-02 S4 can be had for 24k-27k
C55 is $54k

Old 10-23-2004, 12:57 AM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd definately rock a used S4, its a great blend of power and comfort.....

Wish I had a spare 24 k right now Id buy one in a second to replace the Integra (Stolen)......
Old 10-23-2004, 01:39 AM
THE SILVER BULLET

i'm actually looking for one, but im concerned of the reliabilty of the turbos, especially chipped. Also 2000 audi s4's have a problem with cracked boots, which lead to turbo failure
Old 10-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1407640.phtml

some info
Old 10-23-2004, 07:13 PM
The hair says it all

Originally Posted by pimpscls
i'm actually looking for one, but im concerned of the reliabilty of the turbos, especially chipped. Also 2000 audi s4's have a problem with cracked boots, which lead to turbo failure
you can turn the chip on and off, if you leave it on all the time with the stock clutch, itll wear down really fast. we actually had a problem on my friends s4 because he was driving the car really hard, and 3 weeks after installing, he was doing really aggressive driving and hte clutch would just slip completely at WOT at 5000 rpm's.

he now only turns it on for spiritied driving.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Banned

S4's are hot. Leave the A6 alone. Theres one running around here driven by a doctor pushing 550hp. its sick, got BBS wheels, silver, and really low key. But its a mean sumabitch.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:15 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i got to drive an rs6 thats one bad puppy and the s4's forget about it. thats one sick ride to. i love the way they look lowered with nice rims and there hella fast. i dont ever mind getting smoked by an s4 i love to see um run
Old 10-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Racer

I understand the turbos are prone to trouble, which is a costly repair (think $ thousands) ... consider a certifed pre-owned.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Autobot

well if you have to rebuild turbo's

you might as well go K04 turbo's....more efficient

then upgrade injectors, and chip it

and BAM....you got stage I complete
Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm picking this one up tomorrow:

It is a 2001.5 which means there were several items updated. There will be no F-hose, the throttle body boot was reinforced and the oil return lines on the turbos were improved. This was to improve durability which apparently it does. There seems to be less issues with 2001.5 and 2002 vehicle.

To know if it is a 2001.5, check the build date. 10/00 and greater should be 2001.5 MY.

The vehicle I am getting has a build date of 04/01 and wasn't titled until 10/01 with just 8 miles on the OD. It has 36k miles, CPO warranty (7 years, 100k miles bumper to bumper, not that the powertrain warranty will be intact when I get started with it), silver nappa leather and is in perfect condition. I'm getting it for, what I considered very fair, $26,900.00.

The first modification, will be done immediately, will be this:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/ecu_upgrade_s4.html

Within about a year, this will follow:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/stage3_27tko4.html
Old 10-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VeeralS05

C32 is better than C55 though
Old 10-25-2004, 07:17 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scalbert
I'm picking this one up tomorrow:

It is a 2001.5 which means there were several items updated. There will be no F-hose, the throttle body boot was reinforced and the oil return lines on the turbos were improved. This was to improve durability which apparently it does. There seems to be less issues with 2001.5 and 2002 vehicle.

To know if it is a 2001.5, check the build date. 10/00 and greater should be 2001.5 MY.

The vehicle I am getting has a build date of 04/01 and wasn't titled until 10/01 with just 8 miles on the OD. It has 36k miles, CPO warranty (7 years, 100k miles bumper to bumper, not that the powertrain warranty will be intact when I get started with it), silver nappa leather and is in perfect condition. I'm getting it for, what I considered very fair, $26,900.00.

The first modification, will be done immediately, will be this:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/ecu_upgrade_s4.html

Within about a year, this will follow:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/stage3_27tko4.html
That'll be awesome. Congrats on the new car. If you do the kit (2nd mod shown) on her that puppy will be one fast car.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Suzuka Master

thanks for all the input. now that i am looking for this car, i see tons of them. there is a mint white one near me and the guy is asking @ 20k, which is good, but i need to get rid of the cl first. Im glad some of you knew some of the problems with this car because i really dont know too much about them. i never even drove one yet but im sure they are a blast to drive and tune.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Pebe, seeing as you're in Queens dont bother with an S4. IIRC, the S4 is another HID theft target (a la 02-03 Maxima and TL/CL). $.02
Old 10-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
Pebe, seeing as you're in Queens dont bother with an S4. IIRC, the S4 is another HID theft target (a la 02-03 Maxima and TL/CL). $.02

yeah, i can t even tell you the number of maximas i see headlight-less. its fuckin disgusting. its not that bad cuz i have a garage at home and at work, but its getting ridiculous out here. plus, this wont be for a little while and hopefully that will die down.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Banned

scalbert, having owned my A6 2.7T for awhile now and spent countless hours researching chips and such, the APR chip is definately one of the most negatively reviewed chips out there.....

GIAC is the way to go. from the beginning, i was only interested in APR but after reading MUCH about them, and hearing tons of great feedback about GIAC, it is clear, GIAC is the way to go. for many many reasons.

also, again, not sure how much youve researched this but audi is on chip users like flies on shit, its to the point that its nearly impossible to get away with it, they have new ways of detecting its use without opening up the ECU....that extended warranty you got (same as mine) will be worthless if you lose a turbo and they detect a chip....seeing as how you are no stranger to big dollar mods, this probably isnt much of a concern to you but just a word of caution, changing turbos on the S4 and the A6 requires an entire engine removal and disassembly of the entire front end of the car and all parts of the bumper, headlights, hood, grille, suspension, steering system, everything..again not trying to doubt your abilities but it is FAR FAR FAR more labor intensive to work on an S4 than acura CL-S. also, having a 2001.5 model year is a benefit for sure, however, the throttle body boot is sill VERY prone to cracking, even to this day on the 2004 A6 2.7T S line...so its a problem that has NOT been rectified, in fact, ive replaced 2 on my car in 8 months, and those were the supposed "reinforced, redesigned" parts....next time the thing cracks on me, im going to do what everyone else with this drivetrain does....get the SAMCO hose kit. of course the APR Bi-Pipe is always an option but MANY people dont like it because of concerns with heat....the stock pipes are plastic and/or rubber and do not conduct nearly the high heat of the APR-Bi pipe...
Old 10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jimcol711
scalbert, having owned my A6 2.7T for awhile now and spent countless hours researching chips and such, the APR chip is definately one of the most negatively reviewed chips out there.....

GIAC is the way to go. from the beginning, i was only interested in APR but after reading MUCH about them, and hearing tons of great feedback about GIAC, it is clear, GIAC is the way to go. for many many reasons.

also, again, not sure how much youve researched this but audi is on chip users like flies on shit, its to the point that its nearly impossible to get away with it, they have new ways of detecting its use without opening up the ECU....that extended warranty you got (same as mine) will be worthless if you lose a turbo and they detect a chip....seeing as how you are no stranger to big dollar mods, this probably isnt much of a concern to you but just a word of caution, changing turbos on the S4 and the A6 requires an entire engine removal and disassembly of the entire front end of the car and all parts of the bumper, headlights, hood, grille, suspension, steering system, everything..again not trying to doubt your abilities but it is FAR FAR FAR more labor intensive to work on an S4 than acura CL-S. also, having a 2001.5 model year is a benefit for sure, however, the throttle body boot is sill VERY prone to cracking, even to this day on the 2004 A6 2.7T S line...so its a problem that has NOT been rectified, in fact, ive replaced 2 on my car in 8 months, and those were the supposed "reinforced, redesigned" parts....next time the thing cracks on me, im going to do what everyone else with this drivetrain does....get the SAMCO hose kit. of course the APR Bi-Pipe is always an option but MANY people dont like it because of concerns with heat....the stock pipes are plastic and/or rubber and do not conduct nearly the high heat of the APR-Bi pipe...
Thanks Jim,

I have seen several negative reviews on APR chip, but most dated back to when it was new. Of the people I have seen give recent reviews, things seems to be in line with the others. In fact, of recent testing, all seem to be pretty close with no one showing much better than others. There have even been some small issues with the GIAC X-Chip concerning throttle cut.

In the end, I can always stop by APR if there is a problem.

As for modifying, I have already spoken to the dealer about what they do and do not allow. Of course a chip will throw the powertrain warranty out the window and I am prepared for that, nor would I want to deceive them. It is my responsibility and if there is a problem, I'll handle it. It just gives an excuse to make things better.

I have also seen that the whole front comes off. That certainly wouldn't be fun but it can be handled over a weekend. That part doesn't bother me. The warranty I am looking forward to is for the nuisance items such as body electrical items, window switches, etc. Those just such as they do fail at a higher rate than engine components and are not something you can swap out for better items.

As for the TBB, I will go with the APR BiPipe. Heat convection at normal engine speeds is minimal and occurs with plastic as well. At high flow rates there is little to no heat transfer occurring.

Again, thanks for the comments as they are very much welcome.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

APR gets neg reviews because they arent agressive chips like the others. But they have recently made the chip for my car agressive, im sure they will do the same for the others.

Hell their new software for my car with injectors is 235hp/275lbs Thats nuts. I hope people dyno it cuz i still dont beileve those numbers.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
APR gets neg reviews because they arent agressive chips like the others. But they have recently made the chip for my car agressive, im sure they will do the same for the others.
I noticed that too in recent posts. People talk of it being smoother than other chips. It is obvious they are proggressively adding boost instead of all or none routines. I beleive this is why some of the recent GIAC X-Chip reviews talk about throttle cut occuring due to overly aggressive boost curves. The total power numbers are very close between all major chip suppliers.

Being able to visit them and discusss my wants and needs may help me to get a program (or two) specific to my liking and possibly to the cars benefit.

I do love the ability to select programs with the cruise control button. When at the track and 100 octane is availble, just a couple of clicks and a few minutes later I have a new program ready.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by scalbert
I do love the ability to select programs with the cruise control button. When at the track and 100 octane is availble, just a couple of clicks and a few minutes later I have a new program ready.

most tuners have a device to change programs
Old 10-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Instructor

I just picked up my 2001 S4 Avant about a year ago. I love it and am currently running stage 2+ on APR software. No problems yet. Knock, Knock, Knock. I may be switching to the GIAC X chip which produces a bit more boost but will incorporate a MBC to eliminate the spikes. If you have a change to get one I would. A lot of fun. Not to mention AWD!