Which ~15k econo car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Which ~15k econo car?

If you want, skip all the text, and just give your opinions about the 3 Bolded cars

I might be moving to hawaii early next year, so i'm kinda in the market for a new car when i get there.

in reality I have 3 options:
1. ship my 01' CL-S with ~90k mi. - costs about 1k (i don't think it's worth it as i'd probably want to sell it before 100k anyways)
2. buy a REALLY cheap used car - around 4-5k
3. buy a cheap new car - ~15k

So far i'm leaning towards option 3. Maybe option 2, but I kinda need a new car as it is, but maybe if something is coming out in the 08' model year that i HAVE to have, i'll sell my legend and pick up something cheap until then.

So my criteria for a new car is.......
good gas mileage
good utility space (i'll probably have to move some furniture)
VERY reliable, (I won't have my local mechanic, that i trust to fix my car every few months)

So i'm looking at bascially hatchbacks.
at the top of my list would be the Scion xB (I love it's "love or hate" styling, cause most people seem to hate it), but is there are new model coming out soon?
then maybe the Honda Fit (probably the nicest interior of the group),
and maybe the Nissan Versa (i haven't really looked at this car much),

but i feel like i'm forgetting something.

the most practical choice might be to buy an old toyota pick-up. so maybe suggest a year/model to look at. But i would just feel weird driving a truck with a 4-cyl (for the gas milage). It's bad enough i've never even owned a 4 cyl. car. And i've heard rust is a pretty major problem with cars in hawaii, so i'd expect it to be even worse with pickups. i'd probably want something pretty late model, but those seem pretty expensive still.
TIA
Old 10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fit FTW
Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The Versa looks nice, seen alot of them already.
People say get the Fit because its a Honda, but it looks pretty small inside.
The xB is nice inside and pretty big, so it all depends what you want.

I would either get the Fit or the Versa

Oh, and also, for that price range I would check out the new Rabbit 4-door. But thats just me, Im a VW-head
Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
How long are you planning on staying in Hawaii? If its long term I'd get a new car. If you are just going there for a couple of years, buy some cheap used car to get you around and resell before you come back to the mainland.

i know nothing about the cars you listed, but i'd pick either the fit or the versa.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
honda fit is DAMN fun! i test drove it last month and i really wwanted to pick it up. but instead im just saving up for a bigger more all-around car.

but when i was thinking about the econo car, i went and test drove the fit, versa, and the yaris.

if you dont mind a big cheaper of an interior, the 3-door Yaris is freakin awesome. that thing looks freakin great and not like a mini-minivan like the Fit does. the yaris hatch is a fun little car and definitly tossable.

and honestly, i think the versa was horrible. it was prety much useless and not as great as the fit and yaris. especially for how much it costs. yaris doesnt give you much at all and i really liked that. i didnt need to much, it was light and nimble. very fun and felt like you were part of the car. you feel every turn, the road, everything.. the fit had all these little extras that makes you want to keep it for a bit longer. the versa was the most powerful but overall not something that made me too happy at all.

in the end i wanted the Fit sport in manual. but only had the Fit sport in auto with the paddle shifters, that made it cost another 1000 bucks.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Drifting

the versa's interior isnt that big.. the fit is much roomier, plus the way you can put the seats down, up, flipped really make it that much more useful.

you wouldnt believe how roomy the Fit can get.

oh and the yaris is just dirt dirt cheap.. i had mine pretty nicely optioned and the final price came out to 13,000 compared to the Fit which ended up being 18,500.

i didnt care much for the versa.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Titand19
fit FTW
Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I'd get a small used car for $5K. Gas, tax, insurance, & prices are all very high over there.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
What Fuzzy said... buy used and sell when you leave the island...

But if you're going to buy new:

I'm a big fan of the xB, but with it inpending discontinuation, the value is gonna drop quickly... I don't know anything about the Nissan Versa (just did a google image search)... Out of the three you've listed, I'd go with a Fit...
Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes it is!

I've never been to Hawaii, but is there a lot of room for driving over there?

That with the rust would make me consider getting a scooter or something. Like a Ruckus.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Drifting

damn, everyone seems to like the fit more, I just don't really like the styling. but yea, i'm scared the xB will depreciate if they discontinue it, or if a new model comes out

I'll probably buy a vespa or motorcycle, assuming i can use my CA license over there. but a car is more important first.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if you're looking to haul stuff i can tell you that in my xb ive carried a full size mattress, 17 cases of laminate flooring, 20 folding chairs, 36" tv... all separately of course
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Dang that sounds pretty good, Those are the type of things i'd probably have to move. Do you know how large of sheet of lumber you can fit? Fitting half a sheet easily would be nice. I might go check out the Fit sometime this week. My uncle owns one, and i think he likes it. He uses it to commute but has a cayman for the weekends.

i'm thinking of a used xB, but i've found that they aren't much cheaper used. I've seen them selling from like 13.5k-17k, whereas I went to the dealership and a brand new one was 15k (with almost no options of course, but that's the way i'd want it anyways)
Old 10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
FIT ftw!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Deity711
I've never been to Hawaii, but is there a lot of room for driving over there?.

What do you mean? Are the road narrower or is it more city like/cramped? It all depends on where you are going to stay.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Fit is go!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I would say the Versa. Because it comes with a ton of standard equipment, bigger engine, more space, etc.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I vote for the Fit. But the Versa has a lot of things that are available on more expensive cars, such as keyless entry and bluetooth, that gives it the edge over the Fit. I know that Honda doesn't like to play with options, but if it's any car in their lineup that could benefit the most from options, it's the Fit.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Osamu
Dang that sounds pretty good, Those are the type of things i'd probably have to move. Do you know how large of sheet of lumber you can fit? Fitting half a sheet easily would be nice. I might go check out the Fit sometime this week. My uncle owns one, and i think he likes it. He uses it to commute but has a cayman for the weekends.

i'm thinking of a used xB, but i've found that they aren't much cheaper used. I've seen them selling from like 13.5k-17k, whereas I went to the dealership and a brand new one was 15k (with almost no options of course, but that's the way i'd want it anyways)

not sure about sheet of lumber but i can also fit a couple mountain bikes. and if you get stick its about 14,6... auto is 15,2... also theres not really any options (unless u want neon lights and stuff) since it comes with all the power options, abs, traction ctrl, 2 airbags, keyless entry, mp3, etc.. standard
Old 10-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just bought a manual xB about a month ago and I love it. It's fun to drive and I average about 32mpg in mixed driving. I haven't had much chance to haul stuff but I did haul a extra-large file cabinet without any troubles at all.

I'm a huge Honda fan but I really like the Fit but it just didn't fit my lifestyle. I'm a Realtor and I wanted something that:
A) Got good mileage.
B) Would stand out in a croud.
C) Haul stuff like signs and personal belongings.
D) Haul people in relative comfort.
The Fit has the A and part of the C but that's about it. The xB covered all of these in spades. I'm finding my box to be a great marketing tool and has more legroom (front and rear) than most sedans on the market. I know you probably won't be using your car for marketing but I thought I'd throw in my .

Oh, by the way, the only option I got was cruise and I'm happy with everything else and I was out the door for a little over $16K after ttl. I also considered used but it's hard to find one used at all and the resale is high enough that it's not worth going used right now for me.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 AM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Originally Posted by aaronnn
honda fit is DAMN fun! i test drove it last month and i really wwanted to pick it up. but instead im just saving up for a bigger more all-around car.

but when i was thinking about the econo car, i went and test drove the fit, versa, and the yaris.

if you dont mind a big cheaper of an interior, the 3-door Yaris is freakin awesome. that thing looks freakin great and not like a mini-minivan like the Fit does. the yaris hatch is a fun little car and definitly tossable.

and honestly, i think the versa was horrible. it was prety much useless and not as great as the fit and yaris. especially for how much it costs. yaris doesnt give you much at all and i really liked that. i didnt need to much, it was light and nimble. very fun and felt like you were part of the car. you feel every turn, the road, everything.. the fit had all these little extras that makes you want to keep it for a bit longer. the versa was the most powerful but overall not something that made me too happy at all.

in the end i wanted the Fit sport in manual. but only had the Fit sport in auto with the paddle shifters, that made it cost another 1000 bucks.

Where the hell were you when these guys were bustin my balls about gettin' a Yaris! So it sounds like the Fit and Yaris are the contenders. I think you can't go wrong with either of those cars. Great mileage, both seat 5, folding seats, dirt cheap (Fit is little bit more but still affordable).
Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Drifting

right now after doing some more research i'm leaning towards an xB. the only thing really holding me back is that i'm still not familiar with the future of the model. Will there be an 07' model? (or is there already?). i'm already a member of scion life from a while ago, but it doesn't seem like they know what is coming next either.

I still have to go test drive a fit. It seems like it gets better gas milage and is a bit faster, but i just think it blends in too much for some reason. and looks a bit too much like a van, but maybe it'll grow on me, I didn't like the xB at first either. It also kinda looks similar to the old SI hatch, which i used to love, but i'm kinda tired of. But if it is asoundingly better, i'd consider it. The gauges do look a hell of a lot better ......and that's what i'd be faced with 90% of the time.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
The hair says it all

I would say the Fit because the xB's interior is just awful IMO.

But for cheap cars, used>*. My Cl only cost $17 when i got it years ago because i took advantage of the crappy acura resale value. I went and tast drove a scion tc last weekend out of curiosity to see what you could get new nowadays for $17 and wow....that doesn't hold a candle to my acura.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TypeS_boi
Where the hell were you when these guys were bustin my balls about gettin' a Yaris! So it sounds like the Fit and Yaris are the contenders. I think you can't go wrong with either of those cars. Great mileage, both seat 5, folding seats, dirt cheap (Fit is little bit more but still affordable).
i was out testing the yaris at a toyota dealer. haha i freakin love the car. i dont care what other people say. its definitly an awesome car for the money
Old 10-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

First, you cannot use your out of state motorcycle license in HI. They make you get a HI drivers and Moto. license. Second, which island are you going to and why? If you are going to Oahu, you will not need too much of a car beacuse you cannot drive more that ~1.5 hrs before you are back where you started. Pearl to North Shore is only about 45 min. On the other hand, if you are going to Big island, it is almost 4 hours accross the island. As far as insurance goes, many people coming from So Cal see lower rates in HI. Also keep in mind that car prices tend to be ~5-15% over MSRP everywhere in the state and they are hard to move from that price. BTW,If millitary, there are more options than you have here. I did 3.5 years there so I can help you.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 Civic Ex
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DiveforTL-s
First, you cannot use your out of state motorcycle license in HI. They make you get a HI drivers and Moto. license. Second, which island are you going to and why? If you are going to Oahu, you will not need too much of a car beacuse you cannot drive more that ~1.5 hrs before you are back where you started. Pearl to North Shore is only about 45 min. On the other hand, if you are going to Big island, it is almost 4 hours accross the island. As far as insurance goes, many people coming from So Cal see lower rates in HI. Also keep in mind that car prices tend to be ~5-15% over MSRP everywhere in the state and they are hard to move from that price. BTW,If millitary, there are more options than you have here. I did 3.5 years there so I can help you.
Thanks, that info really helps. I guess i'll have to find a bike at some point, and figure out how to get my license again.

Yea i'm going to oahu, but i think I will need a car. I'm not military, so i'll probably have to drive to whatever job i can find. I've heard there are many military people that have to sell their cars when deployed elsewhere, so there are plenty of used cars to find. Maybe i'll just go that route.

Originally Posted by CL Platano
97 Civic Ex
I still really like the EK civic hatch (and even the EG but that's getting a little too old)
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Race Director

None of those, get a Toyota Yaris.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

Originally Posted by Osamu
Thanks, that info really helps. I guess i'll have to find a bike at some point, and figure out how to get my license again.

Yea i'm going to oahu, but i think I will need a car. I'm not military, so i'll probably have to drive to whatever job i can find. I've heard there are many military people that have to sell their cars when deployed elsewhere, so there are plenty of used cars to find. Maybe i'll just go that route.
No, No, No. I was not saying that you do not need a car. You NEED a car on that island. What I was saying is that you do not really need that nice or big of a car beacuse there is no road tripping. Many people have Jeeps or just beater cars.

Getting your licence in HI is not that bad if you can already ride. they just want your money. there is a great new bike store near the airport on H1 that you can see from the HWY. If you like to ride, I reccomend a bike and a cheap 4cl pickup.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:55 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're going new, of the 3 you mentioned, i'd get the fit.

how about the scion xa? does that cost more?