Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Sony: News, Rumors and Discussion Thread

Old 01-21-2021 | 10:42 AM

Old 01-21-2021 | 10:44 AM

Rumors are pointing to an A9III

Rumored Sony A9III specs:

Sony will launch a new High End camera in Q1 2021.
It will be named as an A9x series camera and not A7x
It has a new ~50 megapixel sensor
8k30p video confirmed with no overheating.
Other specs similar to A7sIII
At least $1,500 more expensive than the EOS-R5
Old 01-26-2021 | 09:02 AM

Supposedly they're about to announce an A1 model. thats supposed to be even more expensive than the A9 and will have crazy high ISO performance.

Old 01-26-2021 | 09:02 AM

oh yea its announced.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/int...cameras/ilce-1

Old 01-26-2021 | 09:26 AM

$6500

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html
Old 01-26-2021 | 09:28 AM

finally lossless compressed raw files, but appears there is no lower resolution RAW file option.

Last edited by Mizouse; 01-26-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-26-2021 | 10:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

Power off shutter close just might be worth the $6500... Wonder why no one has thought of that before lol.
Old 01-26-2021 | 11:19 AM

Well it was pointed out to me that the A9II got that feature with firmware 2.0
Old 01-30-2021 | 02:45 PM
Advanced

Hope sony has that power off shutter on all their future bodies. Those sensors get dirty real fast.
Old 01-31-2021 | 10:28 PM
I shoot people

I've been shooting Sony longer than anyone in here, long before they went mirrorless... I also shot Fuji (but I no longer have any Fuji interchangeable bodies, I have the fixed lens X100V), I don't understand this complaint about the sensor getting dirty issue with Sony bodies... this is an issue with ALL mirrorless cameras... I work part-time at a camera shop...yes, I see this issue on a regular basis with ALL brands... You get this issue with DSLRs too... people come in on a regular basis asking us to clean it for them, but we don't really offer that service, so we just get them to buy cleaning kits. I honestly think it's one of those things where it got around the internet to suggest that Sony cameras have this issue more than any other brands, and if enough people say so... then it must be true, right?

To be fair, the Canon EOS R was the first mirrorless body to have the feature where the shutter comes down and stays down when shut off... The a9II got it in an FW update... Jeez... I wonder why Canon came up with this idea?

Also, a lot of people don't know this... but with mirrorless cameras, you MUST turn off the body when changing lenses... because when left on... the sensor has a live charge and becomes a dust magnet... LITERALLY. Maybe now that some bodies have the shutter-down feature, it isn't necessary... but I'm OCD about it... I ALWAYS turn mine off when changing lenses, even if I'm in a hurry.
The following users liked this post:
pttl (01-31-2021)
Old 02-01-2021 | 01:09 AM
Senior Moderator

wait. This power off shutter close. What do the current models do???

also, I have def read the Sony A’s being notorious for excessive sensor dust, and can confirm with my own.
Old 02-01-2021 | 01:24 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by srika
wait. This power off shutter close. What do the current models do???
At the moment, the EOS R, R5, and R6... Sony a9II, I think the a7SIII and the upcoming A1

also, I have def read the Sony A’s being notorious for excessive sensor dust, and can confirm with my own.
How many mirrorless cameras do you or have you owned? Especially FF mirrorless

Last edited by is300eater; 02-01-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2021 | 01:39 AM
I shoot people

just Google search "dust sensor ________" and fill in the blank with Nikon Z or Canon EOS R and see how many threads come up

My point was that ALL mirrorless cameras are prone to this issue... it's pretty much common sense

Old 02-01-2021 | 09:08 AM

youtubers/media can share images and video taken with their review unit A1 on Feb 4th.
Old 02-01-2021 | 09:12 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by is300eater
I've been shooting Sony longer than anyone in here, long before they went mirrorless... I also shot Fuji (but I no longer have any Fuji interchangeable bodies, I have the fixed lens X100V), I don't understand this complaint about the sensor getting dirty issue with Sony bodies... this is an issue with ALL mirrorless cameras... I work part-time at a camera shop...yes, I see this issue on a regular basis with ALL brands... You get this issue with DSLRs too... people come in on a regular basis asking us to clean it for them, but we don't really offer that service, so we just get them to buy cleaning kits. I honestly think it's one of those things where it got around the internet to suggest that Sony cameras have this issue more than any other brands, and if enough people say so... then it must be true, right?

To be fair, the Canon EOS R was the first mirrorless body to have the feature where the shutter comes down and stays down when shut off... The a9II got it in an FW update... Jeez... I wonder why Canon came up with this idea?

Also, a lot of people don't know this... but with mirrorless cameras, you MUST turn off the body when changing lenses... because when left on... the sensor has a live charge and becomes a dust magnet... LITERALLY. Maybe now that some bodies have the shutter-down feature, it isn't necessary... but I'm OCD about it... I ALWAYS turn mine off when changing lenses, even if I'm in a hurry.
I know all of this and also to turn the body face down when changing lenses. My point was that this is a good solution to a problem everyone has, it's a simple solution that's easily implemented on every body they make. It's so simple that I'm surprised it wasn't thought of and implemented 5-6 years ago when mirrorless was just getting started.
Old 02-01-2021 | 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I know all of this and also to turn the body face down when changing lenses. My point was that this is a good solution to a problem everyone has, it's a simple solution that's easily implemented on every body they make. It's so simple that I'm surprised it wasn't thought of and implemented 5-6 years ago when mirrorless was just getting started.
yeah, I’m coming from the same angle.
Old 02-01-2021 | 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

At the moment, the EOS R, R5, and R6... Sony a9II, I think the a7SIII and the upcoming A1

Only the A7Riii but many reviews have said similar.
just Google search "dust sensor ________" and fill in the blank with Nikon Z or Canon EOS R and see how many threads come up

My point was that ALL mirrorless cameras are prone to this issue... it's pretty much common sense
And it’s common sense to have better systems in place to deal with the dust. Sony should have had it addressed from the get go.
Old 02-01-2021 | 10:41 AM
Ex-OEM King

Does it matter? Do you need to own more than one to notice this is a problem that's easily solved?
Old 02-01-2021 | 10:46 AM

And it’s common sense to have better systems in place to deal with the dust. Sony should have had it addressed from the get go.

you finally did it!
Old 02-01-2021 | 11:00 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Does it matter? Do you need to own more than one to notice this is a problem that's easily solved?
it DOES matter... for comparisons... MY point was that it has become an internet viral complaint on this issue with Sony when it's an issue with ALL mirrorless cameras.

If the rim got bigger... would the percentage of NBA players' shots go up? Yes because the chances of the ball going in the basket becomes easier and higher... With a larger surface (that, being the sensor) and larger opening (FF vs APS-C), chances of dust going in goes up.
Old 02-01-2021 | 11:05 AM
I shoot people

yes, perhaps this feature should have been thought of before...

but you guys are still missing my point... while other mirrorless cameras have this issue, you hear more about Sonys than other brands... why? Maybe because Sony has sold the most FF mirrorless cameras to date

Why aren't people bitching about the lack of this feature with Fuji? Fuji has the dust issue too... So does Olympus

Last edited by is300eater; 02-01-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2021 | 11:25 AM
I shoot people

and here's another thought, if Canon had gone mirrorless (FF) years ago (like Sony), do we know for sure they would have thought of this feature?

​​Or maybe they picked up on reading all the complaints from Sony mirrorless users and the idea came up?
Old 02-01-2021 | 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
you finally did it!
Oh yeah, i think i haven’t updated here. I’ve had it for about 2-3 years now. I love it! but yeah when those dust spots hit.

Regarding mirrorless I also have Panasonic GF1 and GX1 which I’ve had for years. Never even seen one dust spot on those.
Old 02-01-2021 | 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

but you guys are still missing my point... while other mirrorless cameras have this issue, you hear more about Sonys than other brands... why? Maybe because Sony has sold the most FF mirrorless cameras to date

Why aren't people bitching about the lack of this feature with Fuji? Fuji has the dust issue too... So does Olympus
Old 02-01-2021 | 03:13 PM
Ex-OEM King

it DOES matter... for comparisons... MY point was that it has become an internet viral complaint on this issue with Sony when it's an issue with ALL mirrorless cameras.

If the rim got bigger... would the percentage of NBA players' shots go up? Yes because the chances of the ball going in the basket becomes easier and higher... With a larger surface (that, being the sensor) and larger opening (FF vs APS-C), chances of dust going in goes up.
Right...but your comment was asking how many we have owned which is irrelevant. No one on here has said it's exclusively a Sony problem.

Of course they do, it's all the same technology. Even SLR's get dusty sensors depending on how they're used. No one is bitching about Sony in specific, I don't even think anyone is bitching at all. Just commenting that such an easy solution to a big problem should have been implemented a LONG time ago by SOMEONE.

and here's another thought, if Canon had gone mirrorless (FF) years ago (like Sony), do we know for sure they would have thought of this feature?

​​Or maybe they picked up on reading all the complaints from Sony mirrorless users and the idea came up?
Surely someone should have thought of this solution a while ago. Like you said, it's a widespread inherent issue with the technology.
Old 02-01-2021 | 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I had only seen Sony as the culprit in the past but I think this was starting in the beginning with their E-Mount line. I can see how it would also affect other FF and larger sensors too.

You're paying that much for this stuff and they haven't even figured out a solid way to keep the sensor nice and clean. It's a shame.
Old 02-02-2021 | 03:33 PM

DPreview hands on review

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/26...e-sony-alpha-1

Not sure if we’ll get a video anytime soon since Chris has the rona.
Old 02-08-2021 | 11:52 PM

A1 was used at the Super Bowl.

Originally Posted by Mizouse
annoying that you can't pull quotes from closed threads.

anyways, wanted to follow up on the shallow depth of field camera comments from the previous thread.
So previously they used Sony A7RIV mirrorless cameras, but at the Super Bowl they used the newly announced Sony A1 camera

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2021/02/...n-innovations/

If there has been one technology story in NFL coverage this year, it is the use of cameras capable of shallow–depth-of-field shooting on the field during warmups and after key plays.

“Everyone has been talking about it and is excited about it,” says Cohen. “Obviously, we’re going to continue what we’ve been doing all along in the playoffs, which is to use the Sony Venice camera on a Steadicam.”

One late potential addition to the show will be the use of a Sony Alpha One camera on one of the MōVIhandheld rigs that have been capturing the shallow–depth-of-field shots that have garnered a lot of attention on social media.

The operator has been blown away by how cool it is and how fast the autofocus is,” says Cohen. “He said it’s amazing because he literally just touches a screen to select the subject that he wants it to focus on and it is instantaneously locked in the focus.

Old 02-16-2021 | 01:09 PM

FX3 to be announced on the 23rd.

Rumored to be basically an A7SIII but extra “cine” features? and no EVF?

• 12MP Full Frame sensor (same A7sIII sensor)
  • No ND
  • Has Still mode
  • It has IBIS with active mode
  • Same NPFZ 100 battery
  • Full size HDMI
  • mic input on body and handle
  • Dual slot for CFexpress A cards and SD cards
  • Price is 3795 Euro
  • records 4k/120p and not 8k

Old 02-17-2021 | 01:29 AM

Old 02-23-2021 | 09:40 AM

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ma_camera.html

It's basically an A7SIII but no EVF and comes with the carry handle with XLR adapter.

Last edited by Mizouse; 02-23-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2021 | 09:20 AM

Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM lens announced.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/842486...m-f1-2-gm-lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._f_1_2_gm.html

Sony Electronics Strengthens its Alpha System with the Introduction of its 60th E-Mount Lens, FE 50mm F1.2 G Master

SAN DIEGO, CA – March 16, 2021 – Today, Sony Electronics Inc. unveils the newest addition to its G Master full-frame lens series – the FE 50mm F1.2 GM (model SEL50F12GM) – delivering excellent resolution and dramatic bokeh known to Sony’s G Master line, industry-leading AF (autofocus) capabilities and professional control and reliability in a compact and lightweight design. The lens’s maximum F1.2 aperture combines an impressive shallow depth of field for maximum creative expression with incredible light gathering capabilities, allowing for faster shutter speeds and lower ISO in low light settings, making it ideal for portraits, wedding photography, video and more.

“We’re excited to introduce our 60th E-mount lens – the FE 50mm F1.2 GM – which delivers a new level of expression and usability for still images and video as an F1.2 lens,” said Neal Manowitz, deputy president for Imaging Products and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “We’re always listening to our customer to deliver the best imaging technology. The FE 50mm F1.2 GM, our first F1.2 lens for the α brand, was designed without compromise to meet the changing needs of today’s content creators.”

Excellent Resolution and Beautiful Bokeh

The FE 50mm F1.2 GM features the latest optics, including three XA (extreme aspherical) lens elements, that contribute to high resolution across the entire image and is maintained even when fully opened at F1.2. The new lens also ensures clear images in backlit scenes thanks to Sony’s Nano AR Coating II that effectively minimizes internal reflections so that flare and ghosting do not occur.

The FE 50mm F1.2 GM creates dramatic G Master bokeh at the maximum F1.2 aperture to provide dimensionality to every image. Using the newly developed 11-blade circular aperture unit and fine-tuned optical design with minimal spherical aberration, the lens can achieve smooth, deep bokeh in both the foreground and background.

High Performance AF and Tracking at F1.2

The lens can keep subjects in sharp focus even at an extremely shallow depth-of-field with fast, precise, quiet AF and tracking thanks to the four XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors which provide high thrust efficiency. When precise focusing is required, especially when shooting 4K video with human eye tracking, the FE 50mm F1.2 GM allows the user to focus on composition thanks to its excellent response with minimum delay and low vibration. In addition, the lens’s floating focus mechanism, controlled by its dedicated lens drive algorithm, achieves high resolution over the entire focus range, with a minimum focus distance of 1.32 feet.

Professional Control and Reliability in a Compact Form Factor

The FE 50mm F1.2 GM was designed with professional content creators in mind. With convenient controls and functions such as a Linear Response MF (Manual Focus), aperture ring with a click on/off switch, focus mode switch and two customizable focus hold buttons, the FE 50mm F1.2 GM combines easy operation with professional control. The FE 50mm F1.2 GM also features a dust and moisture resistant design and a fluorine front element coating that protects the lens from fingerprints, dust, water, oil and other contaminants. Developed using Sony’s latest simulation technologies and the latest optical design, the lens comes in a surprisingly compact and lightweight form factor (φ3½ in x 4⅜ in, 27.5 oz.), providing high mobility and easy handling for a 50mm F1.2 lens.

Pricing and Availability

The new FE 50mm F1.2 GM will be available in May and will be sold for approximately $2,000.00 USD and $2,600.00 CAD. It will be sold at a variety of Sony’s authorized dealers throughout North America.
Old 03-16-2021 | 04:16 PM
Ex-OEM King

Still no A7mk4...
Old 04-07-2021 | 05:35 PM

Strange.

Sony did a very VERY VERY minor update to the a7riii and a7riv.

Basically increased the LCD resolution to 2.36 million dots from 1.44 million.
removed the Sony logo from the LCD.
upgraded to USB 3.2 (5gbps)
minor battery life tweaks.

Old 04-08-2021 | 11:50 AM
Advanced

They did the same thing a couple years back when a minor upgrade to the RX100M5 sensor came out. Hence the RX100M5A.
Old 04-08-2021 | 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by EasyLoveRDX
They did the same thing a couple years back when a minor upgrade to the RX100M5 sensor came out. Hence the RX100M5A.
yea, but the RX100VA added the newer processor, updated AF and newer software features.

this update basically just added a higher resolution LCD screen.
USB 3.2 is basically the same as USB 3.1 since its 5Gbps

Old 04-09-2021 | 09:59 AM
Ex-OEM King

See post #993
Old 04-09-2021 | 10:30 AM

Yea.. I'm waiting for that too
Old 06-30-2021 | 02:45 PM

A new Sony camera to be announced on 7/7/2021.

No, its not rumored to be the A7IV.

Old 07-05-2021 | 01:55 PM

LOL. announcement got postponed.

Quick Reply: Sony: News, Rumors and Discussion Thread