Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Photo Taking Shyness

Old 05-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Photo Taking Shyness

Do any of you feel awkward taking pictures strangers?

Example: I just got this new telescopic lens so I took it to my daughter's soccer practice. Got a load of good shots... not just of my kid, but of some of the other kids. I took the photos, and sent them out in an email to the parents in the chain. How should they take it? How should I expect them to take it? Did I overstep?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I wouldn't worry in a situation like this. The parents see you taking pictures and know you're there for the team. I did this many times for ny sons little league teams, 9 different teams. All were excited to get the images, when I did so.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
Nah, I think taking pictures of strangers are the best! Especially of little kids.

Some of them might take offense to it but in reality, it's a public space, some of them might even appreciate you helping them capture the moment.
And then maybe some of the absent parents might feel a little guilty and come see their kid practice
Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes I feel like they are judging me. However I usually have a contact on the inside (son/daughter plays for the team) that alerts everyone that I will be taking pictures - so I don't feel like too much of creep.

Try going to a highschool/college women's volleyball tournament and take pictures. That's a crazy feeling.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Public like that is fair game. And since your daughter is involved and you are sharing the photos with the other parents, you are in the clear.

You'll end up being the guy at all the event that parents expect good shots from. Which is why I'm very hesitant to bring my cameras to school events. I let other parents shoulder that burden...they love the attention anyway "oh you are SO good, your shots are AMAZING"
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (05-24-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Safety Car

I just feel like a creeper now

wifey said I should not bring the camera this week and see what the parents say... we did get a few nice email replies though.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if you enjoy taking pics of your kid and their team mates, bring the camera!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:04 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by brian2
I just feel like a creeper now

wifey said I should not bring the camera this week and see what the parents say... we did get a few nice email replies though.
Take the damn camera!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. These are memories the parents would be happy to have. Sure everyone has cell phones but its not the same!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Safety Car

I thought for sure there'd be more stories of black eyes received after snapping a pic of someone's pooper
Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 PM
nnInn

I thought for sure there'd be more stories of black eyes received after snapping a pic of someone's pooper
You're part of the team. Not going to happen.....Now trying going to a game where you're just some guy taking pictures. Then you're going find that.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
You're part of the team. Not going to happen.....Now trying going to a game where you're just some guy taking pictures. Then you're going find that.
I meant in general... not my specific circumstance. I thought there'd be a few anecdotes from the more serious photographers.
jupitersolo (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced

I have taken photos of womens volleyball and you know they wear some tight clothing. As long as its not a zoomed up, in focus, of someone's derriere then I think itll be okay. Unless ya know they are in to that sort of thing.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:15 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
I meant in general... not my specific circumstance. I thought there'd be a few anecdotes from the more serious photographers.
The only time I've ever encountered a "violent" situation was camera operating on a segment for Dr. Phil. It was some troubled teen incident and one of them went off and stormed out. The girl had already threatened a camera woman who stopped filming and said not risking it. So, I was right there and they had me film. She was agitated and made threats and I kept my distance while still rolling. When it seemed like she may or may not make good on her threats I motioned for one of the two bodyguards to be on alert...of course he bitched out because he knows it makes good TV. So, I positioned my camera (a full sized professional broadcast model) in such a way that if she came at me I could lever if off my shoulder and sledge hammer her with it.

After she bolted I chewed out the body guard and told production he was worthless, and if they ever wanted to put me in that situation again hire some crew with balls.

Never took their calls again after one. Dr. Phil is a worthless douche.

As far as shooting stills, Ive never had an issue.
brian2 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Advanced

I have never had someone come up to me demanding to see my pictures. They do however know that I take photos for a couple of teams and I supply the school with pictures for their website. I was photographing my cousin's volleyball game, shes 14, and I am 23. So I took my camera and my 70-200mm f2.8 and took photos. I was sitting with my aunt for awhile and she introduced me to the parents of the team and told them I was going to take pictures. I would always introduce myself to the team and let them know I was taking pictures so I didn't look or feel like people thought I was some pervert or creep.

Just have to be more social about it. This isn't street photography where you have to be secretive and fast so you can catch people being normal. Just play it cool and chill and act like you belong!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:48 PM
nnInn

Only issue I've had was at a County Fair. Guy running a fish bowl game tried to get on me for taking pictures of his booth. Told him the County Fair lets me do it and I'll keep doing so. Then he started get really pissy and started cussing at me. Told him to fuck off, I have permission. He started to come at over his booth. Told him he'd get knocked right back in there, if he did. Held my tripod up as I said it. Again I told him to fuck off, he didn't have a problem with some girl taking pictures right before me.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Race Director

Received 838 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by littlelee17
Sometimes I feel like they are judging me. However I usually have a contact on the inside (son/daughter plays for the team) that alerts everyone that I will be taking pictures - so I don't feel like too much of creep.

Try going to a highschool/college women's volleyball tournament and take pictures. That's a crazy feeling.

My cousin is a professional photographer, goes to all the high school games in his area.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Public like that is fair game. And since your daughter is involved and you are sharing the photos with the other parents, you are in the clear.

You'll end up being the guy at all the event that parents expect good shots from. Which is why I'm very hesitant to bring my cameras to school events. I let other parents shoulder that burden...they love the attention anyway "oh you are SO good, your shots are AMAZING"
And that is why he doesn't bring his camera to any family gatherings...
Old 05-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
I often get a "who are you taking pictures for" - people kind of assume you are shooting for a magazine or newspaper if you have a big camera. I am usually not shooting public events for a magazine or newspaper so it's a simple process of letting them know I am there shooting photos of friends / family etc. Sometimes they will ask for business card or contact info, I provide usually.

Btw I shoot mostly as a hobby these days. I turn down most gigs and refer to friends and associates. If you are wondering why, I just got to a point where I realized that for me, the money to be made doing these events was not worth my time and effort. I would rather just take some photos for fun, if it's a cool event.