Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

HDR pictures

Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
HDR pictures

Is anyone into HDR photography? I am JUST beginning to do the research on what I would need to do in order to create some nice HDR images. My camera, the Nikon D60 does not have AEB bracketing, but that's ok, I can just make the necessary adjustments manually. I just purchased a remote for the camera for $5 shipped on ebay, and it works great, so it will help me with these pictures.

If you have dealt with HDR pictures, can you post some of your pictures and maybe a little info about your post processing steps? Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Race Director

Received 828 Likes on 513 Posts
Here are a couple I have done

These were done with multiple shots bracketed and photomatix

and these were a single shot again just done with Photomatix

The post processing was mostly by feel, and look. Every shot had some different processing, as what works for 1 might not work for another shot.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,951 Likes on 5,135 Posts
I was one of the big newbie HDR horn-tooters on this site a couple years ago so I think its appropriate for me to chime in. First of all, there is a good learning curve on it. And, my first attempts were absolutely horrifying. lol. I'll entertain you with a few samples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/1141336141/sizes/o/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/1141335987/sizes/m/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/1142409926/

This also has a lot to do with color balance, which I didn't quite "get". But also the saturation, and other levels in the tonemapping.

As far as the process goes, here is where I learned it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/
http://www.hdrsoft.com/support/faq_photomatix.html#tips
http://www.popphoto.com/hdr

This gives you a good idea of the kinds of exposures you should get with your shots:
http://www.hdrsoft.com/examples.html

If you don't have the Photomatix software, you can download the Trial version and use that - it will put a Photomatix watermark in the pic but at least you can try it out.

Here is info on Merging to HDR using Photoshop CS3:
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/phot...nge/index.html
Here are some of my better examples:

2008 version of above shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/2834703452/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/2625578172/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/2478485097/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/2747492344/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/2549225316/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/delobbo/2603372348/sizes/l/
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Srika...you can probably answer this.

I've been interested in trying HDR photography out. Does even PS (I have CS3) have the ability to compile photos to make an HDR, or do I still need a program like Photomatix?

Im still a PS newb.
Suzuka Master

Guys, thank you for the info and the link. Those are some nice examples. I think my beginner attempts will be even more horrifying then your srika. I am a newbie to SLR photography in general and have a ton to learn. I have to say, this picture is stunning:

All of your more recent ones are great, as are yours Beelzebub. Thank you for the examples. I hope we get more from more people too.
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Srika's stuff is AWESOME, and just wait for Drigo to chime in!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

I've been interested in trying HDR photography out. Does even PS (I have CS3) have the ability to compile photos to make an HDR, or do I still need a program like Photomatix?

Im still a PS newb.
In the little research I have done so far, you can compile the photos in CS3. There are some decent tutorials online, with some youtube videos to walk you through. I am just not up to speed on everything yet. Hopefully I learn quickly.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
In the little research I have done so far, you can compile the photos in CS3. There are some decent tutorials online, with some youtube videos to walk you through. I am just not up to speed on everything yet. Hopefully I learn quickly.
Cool.
Thanks!
I'll try to pull some things up/research as to how.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Im still a PS newb.
maybe try reading my posts?

Here is info on Merging to HDR using Photoshop CS3:
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/phot...nge/index.html
Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Cool.
Thanks!
I'll try to pull some things up/research as to how.
Yeah, I am doing the same myself. What camera do you have?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by srika
maybe try reading my posts?

Ha, I actually missed it too, and I DID read your post

Did you buy photomatrix?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

My bad.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Ha, I actually missed it too, and I DID read your post

Did you buy photomatrix?
all good, just giving you guys some sheit.

I did, I think it costs like $100 or something.

This was the first HDR I did - a bit loud but not as bad as the orange ones above:

more here if you wanna see:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hdr&w=19188837%40N00
Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Team Owner

Is it simpler with Photomatix?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Is it simpler with Photomatix?
You can download their trial version. I believe it has full functionality, it just leaves a watermark. It seems to be pretty easy to me. I have to get some good quality pictures to start with, and then I will see how my shots come out. I think I have to redownload noise ninja too, to help cleanup any noise I have in some pictures.

Download here:
Photomatix for Windows
Photomatix for Mac OS X

Last edited by 2001AudiS4; 03-23-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
i think mr. srika has pretty much given all the info you will need to get goin...he's the reason i got into HDR...the above images he posted were the one's that inspired me to get into it....if i can remember correctly...i won a photo contest here with my very 1st HDR...
now as far as technique goes...mine are pretty basic...when i first started doing HDR's..i was auto bracketing and always used a tripod...i would take anywhere between 3-5 bracketed shots...
since then iv'e found a quicker and simpler way for me to do it as far as taking the pictures..i now only take 1 shot in RAW..instead of bracketing..
here are my steps using LR2 and Photomatix combined...(1) take 1 RAW file..import to LR (2)make 3 different exposures(-2, 0, +2) (3) export to a selected folder..(4)open photomatix and look for those 3 files...let photomatix do the rest...
sorry if this sounds confusing..but iv'e only had 3 hours of sleep and i have to be up in 3 hours..i can barely keep my eyes open...
my best advice would be..keep shooting and play around with different settings until you find the one to your liking...

here are some HDR's iv'e done in the past...

Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
Here are a couple I have done

These were done with multiple shots bracketed and photomatix

The post processing was mostly by feel, and look. Every shot had some different processing, as what works for 1 might not work for another shot.
I like this one a lot, also the mountains. Hadn't seen those before.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by drigo
i think mr. srika has pretty much given all the info you will need to get goin...he's the reason i got into HDR...the above images he posted were the one's that inspired me to get into it....if i can remember correctly...i won a photo contest here with my very 1st HDR...
now as far as technique goes...mine are pretty basic...when i first started doing HDR's..i was auto bracketing and always used a tripod...i would take anywhere between 3-5 bracketed shots...
since then iv'e found a quicker and simpler way for me to do it as far as taking the pictures..i now only take 1 shot in RAW..instead of bracketing..
here are my steps using LR2 and Photomatix combined...(1) take 1 RAW file..import to LR (2)make 3 different exposures(-2, 0, +2) (3) export to a selected folder..(4)open photomatix and look for those 3 files...let photomatix do the rest...
sorry if this sounds confusing..but iv'e only had 3 hours of sleep and i have to be up in 3 hours..i can barely keep my eyes open...
my best advice would be..keep shooting and play around with different settings until you find the one to your liking...
yeah you won the HDR contest and then you asked me for tips on HDR.. I was like, you should be giving me tips! hah
Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Race Director

I like this one a lot, also the mountains. Hadn't seen those before.

Thanks

Lake is Maine, Mountains are in France, and I really like the way that one came out.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
dringo - i like that idea since it works and it is practical since sometimes even a slight bump on the tripod of your 3 or 5 shot sequence can make your poor hdr a failure.

Ill give that a shot !
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
dringo - i like that idea since it works and it is practical since sometimes even a slight bump on the tripod of your 3 or 5 shot sequence can make your poor hdr a failure.

Ill give that a shot !
cool can't wait to see your pics...
also you can do "action" shots with moving subjects...i was told and read that bracketing on a tripod mounted camera will yield less noise when doing HDR's..i don't see much difference vs. 1 RAW file...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

also you can do "action" shots with moving subjects...i was told and read that bracketing on a tripod mounted camera will yield less noise when doing HDR's..i don't see much difference vs. 1 RAW file...
Would it really matter that much if there is more noise if you run it through noise ninja or another program that eliminates noise?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
now with four rings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestly, most HDR pictures are blown way out of proportion when it comes to saturation, contrast, black and white levels, etc...i know some people like that way too surreal look, but personally less is more...

also, you can achieve some really nice results by using Adobe's Camera Raw controls (have to open a RAW file)...make some adjustments using that, duplicate the layer, blend them together, adjust hues and whatnot...looks better than HDR stuff at times...

and since we've all been posting our pictures, my turn...

Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Multiple exposure versus 1 RAW file does make a big difference in noise. You just have more data to work with, when using multiple exposures - when using one, the program has to lift the shadow levels to get the brighter side of the exposure. And, this is where the noise comes in. You can use NR program to minimize this noise but the *ideal* way to do it - is with multiple exposures.

I have been primarily doing single exposure HDR over the past year mainly because its easier and you can still get decent results - but also because it lets you do shots which you wouldn't be able to do with multiple exposures - such as action / motion shots.

I haven't tried it but I think that even with the newer generation of cameras that have lower noise, but I think you would have better results.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Multiple exposure versus 1 RAW file does make a big difference in noise. You just have more data to work with, when using multiple exposures - when using one, the program has to lift the shadow levels to get the brighter side of the exposure. And, this is where the noise comes in. You can use NR program to minimize this noise but the *ideal* way to do it - is with multiple exposures.

I have been primarily doing single exposure HDR over the past year mainly because its easier and you can still get decent results - but also because it lets you do shots which you wouldn't be able to do with multiple exposures - such as action / motion shots.

I haven't tried it but I think that even with the newer generation of cameras that have lower noise, but I think you would have better results.
I think for me, it would make more sense to use drigo's methods. My camera does not do auto exposure bracketing, so I have to manual change the exposures. This both takes a little bit more time, and also requires me to touch the camera more, which creates more movement. Using the 1 RAW file and changing the exposure in post processing would be quicker to take and I believe create less blur in the long run. I could just reduce the noise post processing. Please tell me if you disagree. You know a lot more about this than I do.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Drifting

I think for me, it would make more sense to use drigo's methods. My camera does not do auto exposure bracketing, so I have to manual change the exposures. This both takes a little bit more time, and also requires me to touch the camera more, which creates more movement. Using the 1 RAW file and changing the exposure in post processing would be quicker to take and I believe create less blur in the long run. I could just reduce the noise post processing. Please tell me if you disagree. You know a lot more about this than I do.
srika is right about what he said in his last post...i don't think its a matter of if we disagree or not with the method you want to go with...it's probably more a preference...but in your situation being that you don't have AEB...maybe the 1RAW file is best...i find it easier since i don't have to lug my tripod around especially if i'm shooting an area thats crowded or limited to space...
to me...processing 3-5 bracketed shots vs. 1RAW file takes the same amount of time...i say that because the time i save is in the shooting not the processing...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Uh yeah this sentence kind of made no sense - typing while sleeping FTL lol.

What I meant to say:

I haven't tried it but I think that noise would be an issue with single-exposure even with the newer generation of cameras, but I think you would have better results.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

All you need is a tripod and a remote shutter release. My camera does have AEB but I've never used it for HDR, always done the exposures manually. I prefer having that control over it. Even though, you could do it with AEB. Furthermore, I did not use a tripod for any of the shots on this page - I balanced the camera on a ledge, window-sill, or other type of platform (as you can see in some of the pics). I did it without a remote release too - this is not optimal and I would not recommend it - honestly I did these mostly just to experiment and get some experience with it, if I was setting out to do it for some targeted effort I would use a tripod, remote release and other proper techniques heh.

Another thing, many hardcore photo people say that there is no such thing as "single-exposure" HDR. HDR, by definition, is multiple exposures. I'm kind of on the fence about it, because I think you can argue it both ways. My first experience with HDR was with multiple exposures - it's more challenging, the results are better, and honestly I find it more rewarding and consequently ultimately more enjoyable than doing it from a single RAW. Single RAW is the easy way to do it.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Alright guys, thank you. I will experiment with both techniques. I have yet to build a library of pictures to use for this process, so I will take some in both formats. I really appreaciate both of your help as you both clearly have a great understanding on how to take and process great HDR pictures.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

no probs - feel free to ask questions in here - as you have.

and, I will post about my processing technique when I get a chance. That is the most important thing in doing HDR, as drigo alluded to earlier. Aside from the basics of getting the shot, I mean.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

no probs - feel free to ask questions in here - as you have.

and, I will post about my processing technique when I get a chance. That is the most important thing in doing HDR, as drigo alluded to earlier. Aside from the basics of getting the shot, I mean.

That would be really cool. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

By the way, you are a pretty advanced photographer for a 5 year old.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

This is was done with 3 shots, it came out pretty nice i was thinking about processing it again do any you guys do that?

Here is a friends shot that was pretty popular among the flickr crew.

Ah i see that the 1 shot raw is good when u dont have a tripod nice idea!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
srika thanks for HDR info.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I got a chance to take a quick shot of this project we have been working on at work. This is a "barn" that actually has a basketball court inside. I post about it in Ramblings with pics of the inside. I thought with a bit of an overcast day that it was a good opportunity to get a decent shot. This is my first attempt. I basically used Photomatix (only have the trial version right now, so it has the watermarks). I will post both the original and the processed image. I did this with 1 RAW image and changed the exposure settings in Photomatix. I did not run it through a noise reduction program. Please critique and give me some suggestions:

Original:

HDR:
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll post a couple on here. None are as good as some of Sirka's or Beelzebub's but you gotta start somewhere

Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Race Director

Thanks

The first one is the best, not over blown, very subtle.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 PM
4th Gear

those are some really good shots!!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
wow some awesome pics in here!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Littering and.....

I made some pictures using the tutorial on this website: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...dr--a-tutorial

Last edited by slobeatz; 03-28-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: HDR pictures